Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Who's Fault is Slow-Play?

Our pro allows groups of 5 to go off back to back and that wipes away 10-12 for the front nine as they don't let you play through, another course near by I love because of its age does the the same with three groups of 5 each day and again off at 9. I blame the pro for that and just not forcing them to let others play through. There is another course near by that does use their marshals to enforce rules and etiquette and it's always a sub 4 hr 18 there

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The problem with the pro letting "special" groups of five play is that people see fivesomes on the course, then want to have their fivesome.  At my old course the pro let fivesomes (sometimes sixsomes!!) in the gangsome, then 10 guys would show up and want to play as fivesomes.  The gangsome usually plays pretty fast, but these other guys should be taking lessons instead of playing, and they would stack up the entire course.  Once you allow it, you can't stop it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Playing 5 always gets under my skin a bit. It slows play down. In my opinion I think adding a fifth player adds anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes to a round. We do it all the time on Saturdays because invariably a few guys just show up expecting to play. These same guys never call the shop and sign up in advance. I'll admit, it's kind of hard to turn someone down. I wish on weekends the shop would only allow 4-somes until say 3:00. If there are only two players they have to pair up. Sadly, I only know of one course in the area that actually enforces such rules.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The problem with a gangsome is when an odd number of players show up.  As an example, when only 13 players are there, then they will have two foursomes and a fivesome, with the fivesome getting worst player.  AND the foursomes go off first because they don't want to wait on the fivesome all day.  The rest of us playing behind them are stuck.  They don't let people play through... Why?  Because the groups play KPs and mark the KP with a tee.  If they let groups play through, someone will surely pick up the tee.  It happens!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That really sucks.

i would havecto say that a big blame for slow play goes both to courses and the " hack"golfer. The hack for not playing from the correct tees and the course for not enforcing this.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Here's another case in point where course management creates slow play. I played Friday at a local club. The rough was so high, probably about 4"; that if you missed a fairway your ball was basically lost. From the fairway there was about 4' secondary cut of about 2" then the 4". I was playing with 3 other members of the club and they felt the same way I did about it. I get that during a major club tournament "they" might want to stiffen up the conditions a bit. But, the rough we encountered were everyday conditions according to members. A Marshall came by twice encouraging us to "pick up the pace". I recall one guy telling the Marshall we would if everyone split the fairway each shot. The Marshall retorted, "then hit the fairway or take a drop if you miss". What a crock. Stupid Marshall. If I were the members I'd demand a mower out there asap or were not spending a dime at the club until they do. 

We had a mini tour come through NJ a few years back. I was lucky enough to play the week before. Rough was 4 inches, but the problem was you had no idea if it was soft, hard, or root below. Several shots I hit went nowhere because of what was underneath that you couldn't see. The greens were not bad, but finding your ball and playing it was a complete joke in the rough. The course superintendent was promptly fired later that year after the greens died. The new one has it playing well, although it does get busy and the rough is still pretty tough even normally.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I laugh because I play as a single all the time. I don't ever set tee times at my home course nor do I call ahead. I remember one course held me up because they had a rule that 4 had to go off. I waited over an hour, when no one was on the tee. On the other hand, there's nothing like being a single golfer having to slog through groups of 4. I'd rather them pair me up in that case, although it rarely happens at the times when I decide to play.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

I rarely play as a single but if I do, I don't expect to be given any courtesies. I use it as an opportunity to practice approaches, pitches, chips, bunker shots, and putting.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I rarely play as a single but if I do, I don't expect to be given any courtesies. I use it as an opportunity to practice approaches, pitches, chips, bunker shots, and putting.

If the course is empty, I'll expect a courtesy or three. If it's packed, I'll try to join up with the nearest group that has 3 or less. I play usually in under 2.5 hours ( a bit longer now because I walk most of the way around greens rather than drive right up). To me, if you're a single and playing quickly, get on through and get done. i've let singles pass me when I played as a single. There's no point in holding someone who can play quickly.

Archived