TESTERS WANTED! ×

What equipment are you thinking about?

null

Kept thinking about the Callaway apex hybrids. Was in goldsmith and picked up a 3&4 for $175 each. Then kept thinking I should have gotten the 5 as well. Long irons are my enemy. Just looking at my numbers, 10hcp, 115 mph driver swing, one would think I would be fine but it hurts my game. So I found a like new 5 hybrid for $150, can't wait to hit it this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver- Callaway 815 Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond

3 Wood- Callaway 815 Big Berth Alpha

3 -5 Hybrids Callaway Apex

6-PW- 2014 Callaway Apex Pro

50,54, 58 Wedges- Callaway MD3

Putter- SeeMore FGP

Ball- Kirkland Signature and Snell MTB

Howdy, I've been a physical therapist for 10 years and wanted to check this out. I have never heard of it before, but that doesn't mean anything against the device.

As much as they used the term " Harvard Study", ( or Hardvard Study on their main page), this device was not tested/studied by Harvard, they applied info from a study that "a curved and firm surface" can provide proprioceptiive feedback, which means it helps to tell your body where it is in space.

(Also, it was the misappropriation of information of a "Harvard study" that led to the now defunct barefoot running fad).

I can see how the concept could work, because it's like wearing one of those posture chest/shoulder straps, you feel the pressure when your body gets out of alignment and touches the bracing, kinda like someone gently touching or poking your back if you slouch.

It uses you body's own feedback for positioning in space to try to correct your posture. I will say it's much better than an elastic brace that actually weakens your core.

While I appreciate that they are endorsed by osteopathic doctors, they refer to chiropractors as "physicians" multiple times, which is a very erroneous claim. I've had fantastic chiropractic care myself, but they are not physicians ( and neither are DPTs, the current entry level degree for my own profession), DOs and MDs are.

Any who, the concept could work, but you still need to strengthen and maintain the flexibility of your core muscles which include your pelvic floor ( that means kegels for us too gentlemen), glutes, obliques, spinal rotators and extenders ( 6 pack muscles actually do nothing for spine stability or strength) and while this will help give your body feedback, it puts you in the device's preferred alignment, not necessarily your spine's.

All that being said, I'd be interested to see how your symptoms change with its use, so if it helps ( or not), please do share. Golf swings, not matter how smooth and effortless they can appear, involve a ton a spinal movements and rotational motions tend to cause faster degenerative changes over time than most other movements.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks for the info and I'm sure you can hop over to http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/17594-body-aches-pains/ and give us a couple stretches for us old or young coots with sore backs.  Any pre round stretches and even post round stretches would be appreciated!   Thanks

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I used MP25 for my 6 & 7 irons last year, did not hit them well.

Hit my M5 8-9 great, thinking about a 6-7 MP5 for 2017.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Come on Callaway! Let's get the official Big Bertha EPIC announcement out there and get some test clubs out to the fitters. I keep reading about how great these seem to perform and I must hit them now. I'm pretty sure it's going to add about 25 yards to my tee shots, just based on what I'm reading anyway. :) haha

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking of a new bag. '17 S.M. C130, like the strapping to the cart system & the 4 fwd pockets

The C130 is an awesome bag.  Next time I shop for a new bag I will have to back to the SM.

Cleveland

I am still on the prowl for a 3wood. I keep looking at the TM RBZ Speeds at Dicks. I know they are "old" technology. But as I stated before, I am still gaming a KZG Q which is in the area of 7-8 years old. So anything is "new" to me. I do have a Jetspeed sitting in the garage that hasn't been given a fair chance. But that TM Speed just looks good to my eyes. And I never tried anything RBZ, so...

I am still on the prowl for a 3wood. I keep looking at the TM RBZ Speeds at Dicks. I know they are "old" technology. But as I stated before, I am still gaming a KZG Q which is in the area of 7-8 years old. So anything is "new" to me. I do have a Jetspeed sitting in the garage that hasn't been given a fair chance. But that TM Speed just looks good to my eyes. And I never tried anything RBZ, so...

The RBZ was a great club.  I still have mine, but I need to up the loft as my SS has dropped since I bought it.  I never tried the Jetspeed, but I think it plays very similar to the RBZ.  It got bad publicity after it came out, but everyone that I know that has played it says good things.  I'd give that a try before going to the RBZ.  IMO, there really hasn't been great improvements in FW since the RBZ.  I think that is why they are still holding a decent price.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Went to the golf show yesterday and hit a bunch of new offerings. Here are some random thoughts.

Out of the irons I hit, the Mizuno JPX 900 forged really shined. Nice forgiveness, felt great at impact and had a nice high ball flight. They looked incredible as well.

The Callaway Fusion definitely piqued my interest. Funky head shape but it was tough to put a bad swing on it and liked how it appeared compact and shallow at address.

The Wilson Triton was kind of blah. Louder than all get out, hollow feel at impact and nothing really stood out for me with it.

I know it's been out for a while, but the M2 driver might be my next purchase. I've loved my 5w and after hitting the driver some more, might have to switch all my woods over.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Went to the golf show yesterday and hit a bunch of new offerings. Here are some random thoughts.

Out of the irons I hit, the Mizuno JPX 900 forged really shined. Nice forgiveness, felt great at impact and had a nice high ball flight. They looked incredible as well.

The Callaway Fusion definitely piqued my interest. Funky head shape but it was tough to put a bad swing on it and liked how it appeared compact and shallow at address.

The Wilson Triton was kind of blah. Louder than all get out, hollow feel at impact and nothing really stood out for me with it.

I know it's been out for a while, but the M2 driver might be my next purchase. I've loved my 5w and after hitting the driver some more, might have to switch all my woods over.

I hit the Cally Fusion really well at the 44.5 length. I actually like the triangular shape and I can't stop lusting for it! ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

Playing the Ping G30 LS Tec with the Ping TFC 419 regular shaft. Can someone recommend an excellent Senior shaft?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What is the reason for wanting to change? Need more info.  I am assuming that your ss is a little to slow for the regular flex, and you need a higher launch.  If that is the case then my first suggestion would be to take the G30 back to where you bought it, or send the club back to Ping and have them change the shaft.  I would think that the cost would be minimal.  You can always talk to Ping to see if the 419 is the best shaft for you.  If you just want to change to a different shaft and don't care what it costs, all of the shaft manufacturers make good senior flex shafts and have shaft specs posted on their websites.  Many are quite expensive.  My ss is not very high and I am playing a Bridgestone JGR driver with the Aldila 2KXV Orange shaft in regular flex and like the feel of it.  You could probably find one in a senior flex with the Ping G30 adapter for about $100, but IMHO I would contact Ping first.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I want the cobra baffler that came out a few months ago. Just waiting to find one on the bay. I know in the offseason I must replace my wedges and I'm thinking bout the new mizzys

Used Callaway X-Jaws til they wore out enough (tried to do some groove sharpenings myself, too). Got a Mizuno S5 ion blue (like the look and color) and am very happy with it!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The RBZ was a great club. I still have mine, but I need to up the loft as my SS has dropped since I bought it. I never tried the Jetspeed, but I think it plays very similar to the RBZ. It got bad publicity after it came out, but everyone that I know that has played it says good things. I'd give that a try before going to the RBZ. IMO, there really hasn't been great improvements in FW since the RBZ. I think that is why they are still holding a decent price.

Late last season, in a flurry of trying/buying different hybrids, I picked up an Adams Blue 3H. Yes: SUPER SGI but seemed to work so well for me that I went back and got a Blue 3W.

I couldn't hit a 3W, so had gone to a 2H with limited success, but this Adams Blue 3W has been working for me!

(found them.both online reeeeally cheap)

**But.. fyi - therod - it may not work for you with your swing speed .. stock shaft is a very light Aldila

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Since I'm thinking of doing an entire bag redo this year, I'm thinking of every left handed available club out there from driver to wedges and putter, lol. Need some warmer days and demo days up my way before I commit though. I'd like to keep all the woods by the same manufacturer but not necessarily the same family line, irons I'm open to whomever and wedges either Titleist or Cleveland. As for putters, I decided to go through a putter fitting. Just have lost too many strokes throughout the years.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Since the weather has had me socked in a few days I decided to clean and reorganize my garage yesterday. I've rediscovered my great work bench. Now I'm inspired to make better use of it.

I'd like to install a vise to use for basic club work. Been looking around and found this setup on Maltby's site. Anyone have this? Recommendations? Etc.

http://www.golfworks.com/universal-clubmakers-vise-system/p/UCMVK/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Spent a lot of $$ this past year trying a bunch of things, but have gotten to a point where I feel I have a set I can play with. It is, of course, a mixed bag...

..So in re: what am I considering spending on next - is a professional fitting!

Want to check things like:

-- all specs on everything, that the transition from club to club is "right", and swingweights are consistent

-- lie angles in the wedges

-- iron shafts .. should I go to graphite?

-- distance gaps at the upper end of the bag

-- and will listen carefully to whatever else they recommend!

I was reluctant to do this earlier as my swing was a bit all over the place, but by the end of the season felt like I'd made some good progress at hitting a bit more consistently .. so anyway, now it seems like it's more "worth it".

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Spent a lot of $$ this past year trying a bunch of things, but have gotten to a point where I feel I have a set I can play with. It is, of course, a mixed bag...

..So in re: what am I considering spending on next - is a professional fitting!

Want to check things like:

-- all specs on everything, that the transition from club to club is "right", and swingweights are consistent

-- lie angles in the wedges

-- iron shafts .. should I go to graphite?

-- distance gaps at the upper end of the bag

-- and will listen carefully to whatever else they recommend!

I was reluctant to do this earlier as my swing was a bit all over the place, but by the end of the season felt like I'd made some good progress at hitting a bit more consistently .. so anyway, now it seems like it's more "worth it".

Have you considered lessons? I mean that sincerely. I started taking lessons/coaching about 1.5 years ago and it's made a big difference to me. Since then I've visited my coach probably 8 times. I plan to continue with him this spring. I also had a full-proper-professional club fitting too back in August 2014. Honestly, I think the lesson/coaching has had a greater impact over all. My swing fits my clubs. I believe without having a good swing foundation it won't matter all that much how well fit your clubs are.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

What is the reason for wanting to change? Need more info. I am assuming that your ss is a little to slow for the regular flex, and you need a higher launch. If that is the case then my first suggestion would be to take the G30 back to where you bought it, or send the club back to Ping and have them change the shaft. I would think that the cost would be minimal. You can always talk to Ping to see if the 419 is the best shaft for you. If you just want to change to a different shaft and don't care what it costs, all of the shaft manufacturers make good senior flex shafts and have shaft specs posted on their websites. Many are quite expensive. My ss is not very high and I am playing a Bridgestone JGR driver with the Aldila 2KXV Orange shaft in regular flex and like the feel of it. You could probably find one in a senior flex with the Ping G30 adapter for about $100, but IMHO I would contact Ping first.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Hit the epic today, it's now the front runner to replace the sldr.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Have you considered lessons? I mean that sincerely. I started taking lessons/coaching about 1.5 years ago and it's made a big difference to me. Since then I've visited my coach probably 8 times. I plan to continue with him this spring. I also had a full-proper-professional club fitting too back in August 2014. Honestly, I think the lesson/coaching has had a greater impact over all. My swing fits my clubs. I believe without having a good swing foundation it won't matter all that much how well fit your clubs are.

Oh yes, definitely! -- took some lessons when I started, went twice to Leadbetter golf schools and also spent some time in short game clinics. These were all good and useful and helped me progress.

The most benefit I've feel I've gotten, though, is from a once a year coaching session with a friend who's competed professionally (and who I actually know from windsurfing, years before I ever picked up a club!). Would like to see him more but he travels a LOT!

He picks out one, maybe two, things to focus on. Then I go practice practice practice to work to ingrain it into my swing (and on-course game). Met him earlier this year and the key was flatter on the backswing. Yep .. that's it! No technical mumbo-jumbo, no complex discussion of "positions" with exactly where each joint in your body should be at, etc. etc.....

Second tip for me was a better, and more neutral, grip. Kinda getting the flatter backswing / swing plane down but the grip......!

Yes: Totally agree the best equipment can in no way compensate for the worst swing.

Anyway, trial-and-error with clubs may seem wasteful but I enjoy learning about the equipment, how it works, what different clubs, shafts, etc. do and how it all affects what the ball does.

I feel like along the way (plus reading all kinds of posts here on MGS) has also taught me just what kinds of questions to ask during a fitting PLUS how to better understand the answers!!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I agree with PlaidJacket, in that lessons are probably the first thing you should try before buying new clubs, unless your clubs are over 5-6 years old. Yes technology does help but if your clubs are less than 5 years old do as PlaidJacket states, see a swing coach, most likely your club pro whom you know and trust and take lessons to establish a basis and then 1/2 hour lessons perhaps monthly to tweak and reinforce what he or she told you to do. One of the best lessons I ever had was an on course lesson where my pro and I went and played 9 holes and we talked about every single stroke from tee, to green including bunkers, chipping and putter. Now that may seem like overload and too much info but this lesson was at the end of the season and he and I had 4-5 lessons through the summer so he was reinforcing what I already knew or corrected bad habits that crept in.

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

Hit the epic today, it's now the front runner to replace the sldr.

That's good to hear. I like the looks of the Epic. No point in even trying at this point for me anyway.  .... I'll wait till later this summer or next year and let the price shrivel. 

Adding a black hzrdous hybrid shaft to my bag. Really wanting to try a red hzrdous in the fairway.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Adding a black hzrdous hybrid shaft to my bag. Really wanting to try a red hzrdous in the fairway.

Are these any good? I haven't hit a PX shaft in a long while

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot