TESTERS WANTED! ×

What equipment are you thinking about?

null

19 minutes ago, edingc said:

Agreed. Very helpful. 

As you can tell, I'm still tinkering. This is the first time I've seriously committed to playing golf better and also the first time I heavily researched anything before buying. I started last summer with a low-spin, unforgiving driver (Adams Super LS) and irons that were a little too much for my skill set (Nike CCIs). Truthfully bought both because of their looks and name rather than for their fit to my game.

It is correct I still do not have something between my 3W and 4 iron. Not sure what the best play is there yet. I really struggle with hybrids, so I've considered a 5W in that spot. Until I improve and get a little more distance out of my driver (a great shot for me right now is 225 carry, but generally sit between 92-94 MPH driver speed with closer to 210 carry), I start running into gapping issues at the top of my bag with the 3W/5W/hybrid/4 iron all coming pretty close to each other.

I play a lot of shorter courses and par 3s with my in-laws, who are in their 60s and don't hit the ball very far. So, up until now I've rarely had a need for too many clubs at the top or bottom of the bag. Generally, for the past two golfing seasons it was a 5-PW off the tee, a 56* to chip if I missed the green, and then the putter.

I played a short par 36 last weekend and did not use the 3W once, opting for the driver, 4 iron or 5 iron off the tee, depending on the distance I wanted to play in.

I really do think I will eventually want to add that 5W, or perhaps a driving iron (hah!) if I ever get my ball striking where is should be. And because of that, I think I am going to go ahead and start with the 54* and 60*. They are at least reasonable in price, so should I change my mind I can also order another one and swap them myself. Worst case I end up with a wide variety to choose from based on the course.

You really have a great understanding of your game for someone so new to the game.  You definitely don't want to carry a club if it is not benefiting you.  

There are a number of things that could be playing into your issues with gapping at the top.  It could be a fitting issue, it could be a swing issue, or it could be a combination of both. 

Assuming that you won't be getting a professional fitting anytime soon, then you are best to not carry clubs that you won't use.  Now just because that will then give you an extra club at the bottom of your bag doesn't mean you should carry one.  I think a 54 and 60 are perfect for your skill level.  As you play more, you will learn what types of shots you hit around the green and then you can determine if you need to change up your wedge setup.

Since you are relatively new to the game, I would suggest find a teaching pro in your area and getting some lessons, especially before you develop some bad habits.  A lot of teaching pros also do fittings, so as your swing progresses you will be able to ask them about how your bag setup is hurting or helping you and how you could potentially fit some of the new gaps that might develop if you start hitting the ball further or hitting your woods and long irons more consistently.

Number one on my list is getting my swing in order.  After a ton of research etc I know what I want to work on when I get the chance. 

As for equipment, here's my wish list:

1) Ping G400 Max,  OR, whatever new driver turns out to work best for me.  

2) Launch Monitor/simulator/home swing station.  I cannot hit the range/course nearly as much as I'd like to, it would be nice to have a spot to swing when time permits.  Plus having some digital feedback would rule :). 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

I’m just waiting patiently for all the new drivers to come out. Once that happens I’m going to try them all.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 hour ago, Wedgie said:

I’m just waiting patiently for all the new drivers to come out. Once that happens I’m going to try them all.

Spoken like a true MGS equipment junkie...Seek help man!😜

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

4 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I am on my way to testing them all.  So far the list is:  Cobra King F9, Cleveland HB, Bridgestone JGR,   PXG XF, XXIO,  Wilson Cortex,  Mizuno ST 190,  Tommy Armour Atomic, Srixon 585.   Next week should add another 8 to the list to include Titleist and Ping..    I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch.  Ball speed and distance numbers are all about the same.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am on my way to testing them all.  So far the list is:  Cobra King F9, Cleveland HB, Bridgestone JGR,   PXG XF, XXIO,  Wilson Cortex,  Mizuno ST 190,  Tommy Armour Atomic, Srixon 585.   Next week should add another 8 to the list to include Titleist and Ping..    I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch.  Ball speed and distance numbers are all about the same.  

Sounds fun...enjoy! I’m curious about the F9, JGR and Mizuno.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

3 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Sounds fun...enjoy! I’m curious about the F9, JGR and Mizuno.

Good options.   Hope you get to try them soon. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Our local classifieds has some 1999 Hogan Apex's for $180.  Not great pics, but they look to be in great shape.

Is there a reason not to snag these?

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

I have been looking at Srixon irons Z585 and Z785 irons, love the looks of the 785 but every time I hit them at PGA SS I hit the 585's farther, always looking for that little extra length and I truly believe I will gain 1/2 to 1 club in length, eg. hit 9 iron instead of 8, etc.  I know the lofts are a tiny bit stronger than most clubs and the 585 is stronger than the 785 but I do love the blade look.  Also looking for a newer driver, currently have a Bridgestone that I love and every time I put it up against the newer Rogue sub zero, my Bridgestone is just as long if not longer.....Thoughts???

Retired sporting a + handicap 

On 1/5/2019 at 9:49 AM, KCLeo12 said:

I am really looking forward to all the new Driver releases. The Ping and PXG are the top of my list. The Cobra F9 and Titleist TS3 are next. Once they are all released I plan on doing a driver fitting and pick the best one.

The Ping because I already love my G400 LST. The PXG because of the talk about how low spin it is. The TS3 because I picked up and 4mph ball speed but the stock shafts couldn’t bring the spin down. The F9 because I have been a big fan of Cobra for years

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I am in the same boat you are...I hear the Cobra is the one to beat this year.  I myself am looking forward to trying the Epic Flash, TS models, new Mizuno (not known for their drivers but I hear good things about this one) and Cobra.  I don't like the glossy finish of the Cobra but I am willing to overlook it if my ball speed increases.  I'm getting fitted in mid Feb so I will post my findings.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I really am thinking about the D7 irons because of course I can never be fully satisfied with what I have in my bag. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It all about the big dog. Still have several on my mind to see if 2019 brings enough to knock out the g400. If I can find 3-4mph more ball speed with the same or better dispersion I’m in

In no order:

g410

pxg

m5/6

ts2/3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Srixon 585 irons....... I can’t stop thinking about them. I’m hitting my i210s so well, but I loved my 545s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

35 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Srixon 585 irons....... I can’t stop thinking about them. I’m hitting my i210s so well, but I loved my 545s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I try not to think about them.  Was hitting the 6 iron last night and even considered selling all my irons to buy a set.  

I think this is the year that I purchase a new to me driver. I’m currently using a driver that is quite a few years old. There have been enough technology changes in the recent years to make it clear I’m missing out on the opportunities for more control and distance.

Truegolffit fit me for the Callaway Rogue. I’m hoping to find a reasonably priced pre-owner one that I can take advantage of.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Wilson.. keeps teasing me with these. Man....

IMG_4798.thumb.JPG.dc257d527089aa68737614948d13a5fd.JPG

Ditto! I’m looking to add a 7-PW to my bag this year.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

With Golf Pride announcing the release of the Tour Velvet Plus4 grips, I do believe I would like a set of those. Mhmm.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

On 1/19/2019 at 7:58 PM, Shankster said:

Wilson.. keeps teasing me with these. Man....

IMG_4798.JPG

Gotta love that stamping right below the hosel.  Magnifique !!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

What equipment am I thinking about? Hmmm... Pretty much any equipment that I don't currently own (especially this time of year) lol. Seriously though, if new clubs are in the realm of possibility this year then I'm looking at Cobra, Mizuno, and Titleist. Any combination of those brands' woods, irons, and wedges will work for me. Not changing anything with my putter though. If new clubs aren't an option, I'm contemplating sending my irons and wedges to Tiger Nick Golf for a fresh look and loft/lie check. I also wouldn't mind finding a replacement for my current hybrid or at least a different shaft for it. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

So, with the price drop on Cobra's One Length Hybrids from the F8 line, I'm looking at those pretty hard, likely the 19 in Stiff. Also considering a 14 degree FW, like maybe an older Ping or even Mizuno's TS in the GT180, only problem is that Tensai White and I don't get along.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Damnit Joe...

If I’m reading this the way I hope it reads... they better put these up for sale. Hopefully not a tease like “irons week” last year.

IMG_4812.PNG

Unfortunately I don't think they'll be coming to retail any time soon. I think they're just alluding to tiger putting them in play tomorrow 

7 hours ago, Shankster said:

Yeah. Not getting my hopes up. I was assuming that’s what they meant, but they have a few people waiting for them to hit retail. 🤞🏼

These are phase two of his iron build from TM. They may even change a little over the course of the season

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1