TESTERS WANTED! ×

What equipment are you thinking about?

null

Sort of off topic but have you ever thought of grip change? Maybe trying left had low or claw? I struggled for years (and I"m still not great) but going left hand low helped me out a lot

Played LHL for a while, struggle with long putts like that for some reason. My biggest struggle is alignment moreso than stroke. I lipped a couple today so the potential to be sub-30 putts is there I think!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Played LHL for a while, struggle with long putts like that for some reason. My biggest struggle is alignment moreso than stroke. I lipped a couple today so the potential to be sub-30 putts is there I think!

Why do you think alignment vs. stroke? Left and right misses and not short/long?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, Hamachi Style said:

Did you get one of the new Minis? Copper or Navy?

Sorry, didn't see your question. The standard size, slant neck, in navy.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Why do you think alignment vs. stroke? Left and right misses and not short/long?

Mostly because of working with my Puttout mirror on Saturday. Without it, I was lining up way open to target with my shoulders and feet, about 5" inside of the ball with my eyes, and generally feel "weird" over the ball at times. It's the same on tee boxes when they aren't lined up nicely with the fairway, I double-cross myself if I don't really take the time to work out my alignment. When it's straight, I kind of just step up there and let it fly.

7 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Sorry, didn't see your question. The standard size, slant neck, in navy.

Mostly because of working with my Puttout mirror on Saturday. Without it, I was lining up way open to target with my shoulders and feet, about 5" inside of the ball with my eyes, and generally feel "weird" over the ball at times. It's the same on tee boxes when they aren't lined up nicely with the fairway, I double-cross myself if I don't really take the time to work out my alignment. When it's straight, I kind of just step up there and let it fly.

... Yup, putting is just so personal. I have always putted with an open stance and open shoulders, as well as my eyes being about 2" inside the line. Many really good putters do have their eyes inside the line by 1 or 2 inches, especially those with a gate stroke. 5" is pretty extreme. But just like the emu in the Liberty Mutual commercials, you'll figure it out. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yup, putting is just so personal. I have always putted with an open stance and open shoulders, as well as my eyes being about 2" inside the line. Many really good putters do have their eyes inside the line by 1 or 2 inches, especially those with a gate stroke. 5" is pretty extreme. But just like the emu in the Liberty Mutual commercials, you'll figure it out. 

Yeah, 1" feels like I can see the line. I know a lot of great putters setup open to target. I'm not trying to have the "perfect" setup that works for a majority of people -- similar to those coaches that teach the "perfect" swing -- but being that far off couldn't have been helping. I found that once I got an inch or so inside, I was holing a lot more putts. More practice needed for sure, but I like that the navy spider isn't reflective so I don't have to wear sunglasses to keep my eyes from getting destroyed.

I’ve got 13 clubs in the bag right now and the only gap is between my 49* PW and 56* sand wedge. Looking at gap wedges but am looking for something that blends nicely with my Macgregor’s. Thinking a 52* or 53* gap wedge but with low bounce. Maybe an old 588 to keep the bag late 80’s early 90’s accurate.

Although a set of 53* and 57* Yururi JDM wedges on eBay really caught my eye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Picked up my prowler vt irons after getting the lofts and lies checked and had some time to waste while the wife was fake baking. The golf store had a Cameron Phantom X 5.5 sitting against the wall so I grabbed it. This was the first time I messed with it seriously other than just a quick look over. It felt amazing and looked absolutely stunning. The flow style neck fit my stroke perfect and if the price tag wasn’t $429 I would have walked out with it. I will most likely be selling the custom shop 5w to help cover the cost but the 5.5 will be my putter soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I would like a new 50* wedge. I've been doing some research and I'm eyeballing the Taylormade MG but Ping has also peaked my interest. Worst case scenario I just go back to my old standby Vokey. Now that some new stuff is coming out I should be able to pick up on the cheap. 

a. Iron specs (Kbs Tour C-Taper 125 S+ Standard L/L) 

b. Driver specs (Titleost 913 D2 Oban Kiyoshi Black 05 Flex 45" )

c. Dexterity (Right)

d. Where You Live (El Paso, Tx)

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score (1.8 GHIN) 

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 54* CBX but now with these CBX 2's coming out... do I grab the OG CBX and save some dough or do I go all-out for the latest and greatest?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 54* CBX but now with these CBX 2's coming out... do I grab the OG CBX and save some dough or do I go all-out for the latest and greatest?

Oh oh, hate those choices. You’ll figure it out

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Oh oh, hate those choices. You’ll figure it outemoji106.png

With having another tuition payment due for my daughter who we haven't even moved into school yet... I'll almost definitely choosing the less expensive option LOL!!!

36 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

... Imo as long as you have the right grind for your style of play and where you play, a wedge is a wedge. I can't see much difference between the two so the CBX looks pretty good to me. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I’m sitting here thinking about equipment I already have, a set of Ping ISI irons and wedges. I was rearranging the garage and have a few sets hanging up high, one was the ISI’s. I pulled them down and decided to take them to the range. Talk about point and shoot clubs, so easy to hit these high and long. The wedges are great too. I love how funky these things look.

IMG_1476.jpg

I haven’t played these in about a year but I might just put them in the bag for awhile.

Offset, anyone?

IMG_1480.jpg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

On 7/11/2019 at 10:28 PM, ole gray said:

Tommy Armour ATOMIC Driver. Great price right now so I will be heading over to DSG tomorrow to put a few swings on it.

I’ve been up north the last month or so visiting family. Haven’t been playing much, (3 or 4 times) but just popped in and I see you’ve made a few changes!

New driver, which Is the one I’m dying to try, but I’m really curious about you and the Steelheads. You helped me a lot in the Cleveland iron thread, and I returned the favor with the 5 hybrid, lol. We both ended up back with the Steelheads, then I found and fell in love with the Rogue Xs. 

If you get the time, let me hear the details about your journey from the SHs and the Cobras to the TAs. I’d love to hear it!

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

On 7/12/2019 at 11:13 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

It doesn't thrill me, but you're talking to a guy who's playing the G700s. I've already given up on the svelte-looking club idea.

For what it’s worth, I switched from the MD3s to the RTX3 cbs a few months ago. I loved the mds, but I like the Rtx3 a little better. Different lofts though. The calls were 54&58, the Cleveland’s are 52&58. 

7 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I’ve been up north the last month or so visiting family. Haven’t been playing much, (3 or 4 times) but just popped in and I see you’ve made a few changes!

New driver, which Is the one I’m dying to try, but I’m really curious about you and the Steelheads. You helped me a lot in the Cleveland iron thread, and I returned the favor with the 5 hybrid, lol. We both ended up back with the Steelheads, then I found and fell in love with the Rogue Xs. 

If you get the time, let me hear the details about your journey from the SHs and the Cobras to the TAs. I’d love to hear it!

Sounds like you have been on the same merry - go - round as I have! lol    

The SH irons are definitely one of if not my favorite irons of all times.  I won't rule out that they could sneak back in the bag one day. The Cobra light irons were not a good fit for me simply because they are built more for the senior who needs more speed.  I'm not denying I could use more speed however my quick transition and the light irons were not the best fit.  Now the TS irons are legit and  they feel solid and have a comfort about them that provides confidence.   Not unlike the Cleveland HB's and the TS irons are packed with distance and power. Only issue I have had thus far is one of the badges came off (9i).  It's only cosmetic however you would think this would not be a problem at early use.  I can honestly say I don't foresee anything kicking the TA's out of my bag. They are that good!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

With having another tuition payment due for my daughter who we haven't even moved into school yet... I'll almost definitely choosing the less expensive option LOL!!!

I am in the same boat as you, college tuition is due for my daughter and she doesn’t move I until the 17th. I’d probably get the original CBX since they will be discounted.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, deejaid said:

I’m sitting here thinking about equipment I already have, a set of Ping ISI irons and wedges. I was rearranging the garage and have a few sets hanging up high, one was the ISI’s. I pulled them down and decided to take them to the range. Talk about point and shoot clubs, so easy to hit these high and long. The wedges are great too. I love how funky these things look.

IMG_1476.jpg

I haven’t played these in about a year but I might just put them in the bag for awhile.

Offset, anyone? emoji16.png

IMG_1480.jpg

I almost pulled the trigger on a set of those for $20. By the time I decided to go check them out, they had already sold.

I think I am reading golf forums too much as I am really getting into the tinker with my bag mindset. Current thoughts:

- new driver shaft - something a little heavier to help me with tempo and maybe narrow left/right shot dispersion. Need to do some experiments.

- new 3 wood - mine has just been misbehaving so I am tempted to throw it out and start over. Might even consider a reshaft since it has a lightweight regular flex shaft and I would just replace it with another exotics club but with some adjustability. There is a nice used one at my local golf store. It Has gotten into my mind after seeing my swing speed (100-106) during 3 wood most wanted testing.

- 54* wedge - mine are just old and probably due for a replacement. Could just get a tool to work on the grooves.

3 hours ago, ole gray said:

Sounds like you have been on the same merry - go - round as I have! lol    

The SH irons are definitely one of if not my favorite irons of all times.  I won't rule out that they could sneak back in the bag one day. The Cobra light irons were not a good fit for me simply because they are built more for the senior who needs more speed.  I'm not denying I could use more speed however my quick transition and the light irons were not the best fit.  Now the TS irons are legit and  they feel solid and have a comfort about them that provides confidence.   Not unlike the Cleveland HB's and the TS irons are packed with distance and power. Only issue I have had thus far is one of the badges came off (9i).  It's only cosmetic however you would think this would not be a problem at early use.  I can honestly say I don't foresee anything kicking the TA's out of my bag. They are that good!

Famous last words lol.

Just kidding, enjoy them!

youre right, I was on the merry go round. Stumbled into the Rogue x (the last thing I would’ve imagined I’d end up with) and couldn’t be happier. I think I may have jumped the shark with the matching hybrids however. They’re good, but I’m not seeing an upgrade from the Steelhead hybrids. Oh well, they weren’t the first impulse buy I’ve made, and I’m sure they won’t be the last.

Thinking about going all Honma

Their fairway metals that I bought for around $60 each are noticeably nicer than the Callaways I bought for $300 each (Callaway being my favorite of the American brands).

I just got a Honma driver for $120 (compared to the $300 Ping, $300 Taylormade, and $400 Cobra) and it's clearly the best of the bunch. During the first session with it I hit my longest drive ever. By a significant margin. Consistency is great too. Now it's just about getting the swing where it needs to be.

🥂

14 hours ago, Hamachi Style said:

Their fairway metals that I bought for around $60 each are noticeably nicer than the Callaways I bought for $300 each (Callaway being my favorite of the American brands).

I just got a Honma driver for $120 (compared to the $300 Ping, $300 Taylormade, and $400 Cobra) and it's clearly the best of the bunch. During the first session with it I hit my longest drive ever. By a significant margin. Consistency is great too. Now it's just about getting the swing where it needs to be.

Time out. Where are you getting such cheap Honma clubs?

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

14 hours ago, Hamachi Style said:

Were these clubs new?  If so, congrats on your Chinese counterfeits 

I really only mentioned price because normally when this brand comes up people either have never heard of it, or say "Aren't those the clubs that cost twenty thousand dollars?"
So showing that they are actually not overpriced at all...

To make it a fair comparison you would have to compare product costs from the same year. Also because Honma isn’t a household name, price in the resale market is generally lower.

Something to cover yardage between my G410 4i and my G400 3w.  G400 or G410 5w, Crossover 2i, or Hybrid.  Never had/used any of these.  Unfortunately there is no place in the area has the x-overs or hybrids to test.  I may have to wait until we get to AZ this winter to figure this out.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I almost pulled the trigger on a set of those for $20. By the time I decided to go check them out, they had already sold.

I’ve had 4 sets of them over the years, now down to one. I also had a set of radiused square groove Ping Eye 2’s in beryllium copper which I sold for a pretty penny. The ISI’s are just a better club, at least to me. Narrow(ish) sole with offset, great for a picker/sweeper like myself.

I picked up this set for $75, 3-W, S2 sand wedge, and Lob wedge, all with the JZ stiff shafts with Cushin inserts in like new condition. Took them to the range again today and they are automatic. Went on eBay this afternoon and bought the matching S1 Sand Wedge (52* Loft) and S3 Sand Wedge (57* loft) with the same JZ shafts. Unfortunately they are white dot but I’m going to send them off to Ping for refinish and adjustment to green dot lie.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I have not tried the MD4 but the PM grind is great for most any lie.  I have trouble when ball below my feet; I hit off the toe a lot and the high toe PM grind will still spin the ball with the grooves out on the toe.  It's also a great wedge out of sand.  It's more bounce than I wanted, but it's easy to hit off tight lies, and the added bounce comes in handy.
I will likely add a 46 or 48 MD4 in the future, since the PM grind only goes to 54.

MD4 price dropped down to $109.
So tempting!

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag