Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What equipment are you thinking about?

null

6 hours ago, Rickp said:

Interesting, an honest Fitter.  At least you cleared up wether the PXG or T300 would be better.  

Here’s the thing about him… he runs a premiere golf school down here, and is one of the two best fitters I know of, hence the hour ride.

I mentioned waiting for the new Launchers to come out, because he had a demo yesterday and I loved it. It was a complete shock to my system after hitting the Rogue X for 4 years. I can’t imagine two more completely different sets in the same (SGI) category?

They gave me a completely different ball flight (higher, which I love) than the X’s do, and they were almost point and shoot accurate. The distance was surprisingly similar, with a slight edge to the Callaway, which is understandable since their 7 is 3* stronger. Only 2-3 yards in carry though, and everything else about the Launchers was much better.

Not at all what I was thinking about getting when I walked in, but they’re at the top of my list. The last few months have humbled me as far as this game goes, and I’m looking to KISS. 🙄

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

Not at all what I was thinking about getting when I walked in, but they’re at the top of my list. The last few months have humbled me as far as this game goes, and I’m looking to KISS. 🙄

That's why I have a serious eye on hybrid-style irons for my next set. I'm already playing pretty honking big clubheads as it is, and I don't have a problem with thick top lines. I want to go out, shoot some decent scores, and have fun. If a club like a Launcher or a Launchpad or T-Rail gets me there, then I'm all for it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

That's why I have a serious eye on hybrid-style irons for my next set. I'm already playing pretty honking big clubheads as it is, and I don't have a problem with thick top lines. I want to go out, shoot some decent scores, and have fun. If a club like a Launcher or a Launchpad or T-Rail gets me there, then I'm all for it.

I don’t know if you remember, but I mentioned before how much I love your witb it’s one of my favorites. I think we’re both very similar in that we only care about what works, and we check our ego at the door regarding choice of equipment.

These we’re so good I couldn’t stop thinking about them last night. I went and hit them again today and placed an order. Hopefully they’re the set that finally kicks my Rogue X out of the bag. We’ll see.

2 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Here’s the thing about him… he runs a premiere golf school down here, and is one of the two best fitters I know of, hence the hour ride.

I mentioned waiting for the new Launchers to come out, because he had a demo yesterday and I loved it. It was a complete shock to my system after hitting the Rogue X for 4 years. I can’t imagine two more completely different sets in the same (SGI) category?

They gave me a completely different ball flight (higher, which I love) than the X’s do, and they were almost point and shoot accurate. The distance was surprisingly similar, with a slight edge to the Callaway, which is understandable since their 7 is 3* stronger. Only 2-3 yards in carry though, and everything else about the Launchers was much better.

I remember True Blue from when we had a Condo in Surfside Beach.  Golf Course but no school way back then.

The Launcher/hybrid irons are common here with the Seniors as they are easier to get in the air.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

15 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I remember True Blue from when we had a Condo in Surfside Beach.  Golf Course but no school way back then.

The Launcher/hybrid irons are common here with the Seniors as they are easier to get in the air.

That’s surprising about you seeing a lot of hybrid sets, Rick, I’m 67 and most of the guys I play with are between me and you age wise. We have a huge membership and the only hybrid set I know of anyone playing is my neighbor. He bought the version that was released 4 years ago.
They were a godsend for him. He’s another lefty, and before he got them, he played as many different lofted hybrids as he could find. He always struggled with conventional irons, despite being a good player.

With the hybrid set, he went to another level. From a 10-11 to a 5 now. Guys make fun of his bag, SFT 12* driver, 5,7,9 woods the hybrid irons and a putter that looks like a branding iron, but he’s shooting mid to high 70’s from the whites. Why they laugh, I’ll never know…

Edited by Grand Stranded

3 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

That’s surprising about you seeing a lot of hybrid sets, Rick, I’m 67 and most of the guys I play with are between me and you age wise. We have a huge membership and the only hybrid set I know of anyone playing is my neighbor. He bought the version that was released 4 years ago.
They were a godsend for him. He’s another lefty, and before he got them, he played as many different lofted hybrids as he could find. He always struggled with conventional irons, despite being a good player.

With the hybrid set, he went to another level. From a 10-11 to a 5 now. Guys make fun of his bag, SFT 12* driver, 5,7,9 woods the hybrid irons and a putter that looks like a branding iron, but he’s shooting mid to high 70’s from the whites. Why they laugh, I’ll never know…

The Hybrids seem to be more popular with the 70-80 age group.  Guys are losing their distance and gravitate to the easier to hit hybrid.

I’m looking at @ 4 hybrid probably Titleist TSi1.

Rick

Left Hand, 

9 hours ago, edingc said:

Admittedly, I blindly jumped onto the MMT bandwagon, but they have been excellent for me. No aches and pains in my elbows, wrists or shoulders whatsoever anymore. Dispersion, distance and feel are great.

8 months ago I might've done it but I heard babies are expensive so I have to wait and see what the budget is like with my new mortgage and mini-me

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Just this today… get the tired 3 wood out of the bag.  Same loft… 

3C6642BA-BDA9-40C9-A88D-CB4AE7FD6577.jpeg

Dooooooooooooooooo it

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

4 hours ago, russtopherb said:

3 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I don’t know if you remember, but I mentioned before how much I love your witb it’s one of my favorites. I think we’re both very similar in that we only care about what works, and we check our ego at the door regarding choice of equipment.

These we’re so good I couldn’t stop thinking about them last night. I went and hit them again today and placed an order. Hopefully they’re the set that finally kicks my Rogue X out of the bag. We’ll see.

Hopefully we all feel empowered to play what works. If Mark Crosafield, a better play than most of us can possibly ever be, games ZX4s because he likes the forgiveness they offer him, we should all pick whatever works for us to shoot our best scores.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 7/31/2021 at 5:58 PM, Shankster said:

TS3 3 wood.  They have a used one on the rack at the local DSG...  

The waggle test, and the looks behind the ball… serious contender to kick the SLDR TS out of the bag.  😍

I should support my local economy right?  Right?

I absolutely love mine!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I'm thinking about a whole new bag.  Finally sold all my old one (except the putter).  The golfer's elbow is feeling much better and I was hoping to be able to start making some swings in the next couple of weeks.  Unfortunately, I've triggered my pinched nerve in my neck/shoulder and it doesn't look like I'll be swinging any time soon.  Still holding out hope for a fitting in late September and maybe new clubs in October in time for a few rounds in November.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

1 minute ago, ejgaudette said:

Hopefully we all feel empowered to play what works. If Mark Crosafield, a better play than most of us can possibly ever be, games ZX4s because he likes the forgiveness they offer him, we should all pick whatever works for us to shoot our best scores.

... As I have said so many times every player should be using the most forgiving irons they can effectively play, if playing your best golf is your main objective. For some that are elite ball strikers that move the ball regularly, that iron will be a MB. Those that struggle to make good contact and need help elevating shots, SGI and Hybrid irons would be the choice. It gets tougher in between the two and knowing your game is of course key to making the right choice. But for my money more forgiveness is always better than less forgiveness, which is why you see almost no MB's and quite a few GI and even SGI irons on the LPGA Tour, where players swing speed more resemble Am's than any of the mens tours. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... As I have said so many times every player should be using the most forgiving irons they can effectively play, if playing your best golf is your main objective. For some that are elite ball strikers that move the ball regularly, that iron will be a MB. Those that struggle to make good contact and need help elevating shots, SGI and Hybrid irons would be the choice. It gets tougher in between the two and knowing your game is of course key to making the right choice. But for my money more forgiveness is always better than less forgiveness, which is why you see almost no MB's and quite a few GI and even SGI irons on the LPGA Tour, where players swing speed more resemble Am's than any of the mens tours. 

Someone should print & frame this statement. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Someone should print & frame this statement. 

Yup!!!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

48 minutes ago, yungkory said:

8 months ago I might've done it but I heard babies are expensive so I have to wait and see what the budget is like with my new mortgage and mini-me

Basically how you justify it to yourself is that mortgages are expensive, babies are expensive, golf equipment is a drop in the bucket compared to the two. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Basically how you justify it to yourself is that mortgages are expensive, babies are expensive, golf equipment is a drop in the bucket compared to the two. 

As long as the kid doesn't starve and we end up homeless, YOLO?!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I might be crazy, but I'm considering a new putter. Lately I just haven't had faith in my alignment, and reading the stories from the Evnroll test about fitting specifically for alignment look, I'm wondering. The thing is, I'm not putting poorly at all. I don't track strokes gained, but I have not missed inside of 5 feet lately (except for one stupid wicked sidehill putt), and have been pretty solid beyond. I got fitted for the putter I have, and my instructor likes my stroke with it, but the fitting was 18 years ago! A month ago I had the lie bent 2° flatter, and I'm a little more confident, but there's that doubt in my mind. I have a lesson tomorrow morning (my fairway woods have gone to hell!), and I'm going to ask his opinion. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Debating fairway woods again that I could swap in and out of my bag depending on conditions. Thinking of a 3w or 4w then lofting up my super to 19*. I’m crazy. Just pinch me. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

In a putter mood,  saw the Odyssey RSX putters on CPO and have put one in the cart several times, but never clicked the pay now button.   Been reading about graphite putter shafts and Edel fittings so switching up the putter keeps rearing it’s ugly head. Really just need to get out and practice more; been a bit slack regarding my putting lately.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Along my travels, I happened upon a 25º Top Flite 7-wood that matches my 21º 5-wood.

Although it's not something that I'd have to buy, I am considering trying it as a replacement for my 23º utility long iron, which is the most difficult to hit club in my bag.   [The 20º is only used as a driving iron, but I play the other two from the fairway].

I suppose that I should get it re-gripped [it's original grip is dry as a bone] and try hitting it first.   I've had it sitting in an odd club bag, but have yet to try hitting it.  Since I like the other Top Flite, it might be a good move.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

In a putter mood,  saw the Odyssey RSX putters on CPO and have put one in the cart several times, but never clicked the pay now button.   Been reading about graphite putter shafts and Edel fittings so switching up the putter keeps rearing it’s ugly head. Really just need to get out and practice more; been a bit slack regarding my putting lately.  

Same here. My Cameron has been great for me, but like you, I’ve been taking putting for granted lately. My stroke has been sloppy and it’s costing me a few strokes, especially in that 4-5 foot range that can make or break a round.
It’s just been too hot to go to the practice green so I went to the PGASS yestrday and rolled a few different style mallets. Nothing really excited me, but I did like the new Ping double wide model. I think it was called the Kushin?

I was lucky though, they only had 35” in LH, so I saved myself $249 plus tax. I’m pondering a 34” though… Let’s see how long I hold out. 😉

Edited by Grand Stranded

I'm ready for a new driver (now that I can finally... somewhat... get it in play).  I'm eyeing a Sub 70 Pro 849! 

849-Pro-Bottom.jpg

Edited by Jonny_Crash

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

I like a lob wedge with low enough bounce to hit from the parking lot asphalt.

My present one, which is great on full shots, doesn't fit that description.

AND, I don't hit that many full-shot lob wedges.  

Who can recommend what?

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

18 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

Who can recommend what?

We both like the same type of wedge.  I can’t recommend but ordered weeks ago a Vokey with 54* & 10* bounce. 
Im told by Titleist 4 more weeks , the graphite shaft I want is back order.

Rick

Left Hand, 

23 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

Who can recommend what?

If you want the lowest bounce you can get I know Cleveland used to have the extra low option at 3° so might find older versions of that, and as mentioned Vokey has some custom options in the 4° range.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

We both like the same type of wedge.  I can’t recommend but ordered weeks ago a Vokey with 54* & 10* bounce. 
Im told by Titleist 4 more weeks , the graphite shaft I want is back order.

Forgot to mention that I’m also LH which limits the options RH have.  I was looking  for an 8* bounce.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 8/27/2021 at 7:51 AM, BostonSal said:

Who can recommend what?

I'm really enjoying the Cobra King Snakebite wedges I got with the rest of my Cobra clubs. The full-face grooves on the highest-lofted wedges are great, gives you more face to work with but still maintains a traditional shape. The 60° is available with 4 degrees of bounce - I know a lot of people overlook Cobra wedges but I think that's a mistake!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS