Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What equipment are you thinking about?

null

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Time for a new driver. Got fitted for a TSi1 last spring. Do I pull the trigger or now test out the new models from other manufacturers since Titleist is still a year away from a new release?

... It all depends on what your parameters are. I figure at 68 every day is a gift and I am loathe to miss out on any performance boost. That said, I had a Sim Max and upgraded to the Sim2 Max because it was "more forgiving". After playing it awhile I have found little if any difference so I could have stayed with the original Sim Max. I will of course hit the Stealth and every other driver to see if something just clicks for my swing, but it is doubtful although you don't know unless you try. Blindly claiming drivers are maxed out and really no difference is short changing yourself. In my last full bag fitting I was hoping to fine tune my driver shaft and had no plans on using anything other than my Cobra SZ. Turned out I needed about 300rpm more spin and the Sim Max gave me about 5-7 more yards but most importantly it was more consistent because I was producing optimal spin for my swing speed. 

... Of course money is a factor too. Many tests have shown the Stealth to be very similar to the Sim2 so with the Sim2 on sale you can save some cash. But if I were upgrading from an older driver I would make the leap into carbon fiber drivers but the Stealth is $579, the Sim2 is $449 and the Sim is $399 so whatever your budget can handle or in Rick and friends case whatever SWMBO will allow. Since TSi1 is not being discounted I would think you probably want to hit everything before buying a new one. How often you play is obviously another big factor as a once a week golfer might be more reluctant to spend $500+ for a driver than someone that plays 3-5 times a week. 

... I have a fitting for a Rogue next week during the demo days that reps have all over the place in Phoenix. You get to hit new clubs at a range with a plethora of shafts for free and most times the reps are not pushy at all, just helpful. I am really looking forward to hitting the new Cobra LTDx and would love to get back into a Cobra driver but in the end it is what performs best for my swing so I will go to a Tour Edge demo or anyone else if they have one. Then when I dial in a driver (or keep my Sim2) I will spend the $125 for a Shaft Only fitting at True Spec to find the perfect matching shaft. You probably won't have access to demo days til Spring but it is a benefit many do not take advantage of. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It all depends on what your parameters are. I figure at 68 every day is a gift and I am loathe to miss out on any performance boost. That said, I had a Sim Max and upgraded to the Sim2 Max because it was "more forgiving". After playing it awhile I have found little if any difference so I could have stayed with the original Sim Max. I will of course hit the Stealth and every other driver to see if something just clicks for my swing, but it is doubtful although you don't know unless you try. Blindly claiming drivers are maxed out and really no difference is short changing yourself. In my last full bag fitting I was hoping to fine tune my driver shaft and had no plans on using anything other than my Cobra SZ. Turned out I needed about 300rpm more spin and the Sim Max gave me about 5-7 more yards but most importantly it was more consistent because I was producing optimal spin for my swing speed. 

... Of course money is a factor too. Many tests have shown the Stealth to be very similar to the Sim2 so with the Sim2 on sale you can save some cash. But if I were upgrading from an older driver I would make the leap into carbon fiber drivers but the Stealth is $579, the Sim2 is $449 and the Sim is $399 so whatever your budget can handle or in Rick and friends case whatever SWIMBO will allow. Since TSi1 is not being discounted I would think you probably want to hit everything before buying a new one. How often you play is obviously another big factor as a once a week golfer might be more reluctant to spend $500+ for a driver than someone that plays 3-5 times a week. 

... I have a fitting for a Rogue next week during the demo days that reps have all over the place in Phoenix. You get to hit new clubs at a range with a plethora of shafts for free and most times the reps are not pushy at all, just helpful. I am really looking forward to hitting the new Cobra LTDx and would love to get back into a Cobra driver but in the end it is what performs best for my swing so I will go to a Tour Edge demo or anyone else if they have one. Then when I dial in a driver (or keep my Sim2) I will spend the $125 for a Shaft Only fitting at True Spec to find the perfect matching shaft. You probably won't have access to demo days til Spring but it is a benefit many do not take advantage of. 

Tour Edge equipment has my attention.  The hybrids I bought last week are legit. I’m looking at irons this year and Tour Edge are on the short list.  The TSI2 driver is going to stay in the bag for a few more years.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Of course money is a factor too. Many tests have shown the Stealth to be very similar to the Sim2 so with the Sim2 on sale you can save some cash. But if I were upgrading from an older driver I would make the leap into carbon fiber drivers but the Stealth is $579, the Sim2 is $449 and the Sim is $399 so whatever your budget can handle or in Rick and friends case whatever SWIMBO will allow. Since TSi1 is not being discounted I would think you probably want to hit everything before buying a new one. How often you play is obviously another big factor as a once a week golfer might be more reluctant to spend $500+ for a driver than someone that plays 3-5 times a week. 

I'm a demo day guy. I prefer to see outside results with numbers. I tried all the current models that were avaliable last spring. The TSi1 with their standard Aldila Ascent 40 in stiff flex out performed the other OEM's that were there. But out of the OEMs present TaylorMade wasn't there. So I was sold on the Titleist and socked away the cash. So now that I have it, of course there are more options. My clubs demo day is in May. So it will be awhile. But I should be able to hit something next week while up in Kansas City to get a feel. My G400 still works well but I know there is something that will get me just a little more distance. I am very accurate with the driver so if my dispersion changes I'm not changing. The TSi1 was as consistent so thats my base point. I was always a TaylorMade guy until the G400. 

I'm in a remote location where I live and there aren't any big golf stores or fitters close by. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

15 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Tour Edge equipment has my attention.  The hybrids I bought last week are legit. I’m looking at irons this year and Tour Edge are on the short list.  The TSI2 driver is going to stay in the bag for a few more years.

The driver last year got a lot of rave reviews. I’ll be interested to see what their irons look like as well. The E721 irons supposedly were incredibly easy to hit. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

9 minutes ago, Rickp said:

... Tour Edge makes some great stuff! I remember when David started out literally making clubs in his garage and exclusively sold in the Chicago area, offering only an "Iron Wood" that was waaaaaaaay before it's time. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203819551061?hash=item2f74978955:g:KfkAAOSwR6lhbJ0D

On 2/6/2022 at 1:49 PM, Rickp said:

What TE hybrids did you get?  I'm considering the C721 17º to replace my W/S 2H

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

What TE hybrids did you get?  I'm considering the C721 17º to replace my W/S 2H

Tour Edge #4, #5 & #6 HL4 LH.  Got them from Rock Bottom Golf $60.00.

only hit 4&5 couple times and felt OK. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Tour Edge #4, #5 & #6 HL4 LH.  Got them from Rock Bottom Golf $60.00.

only hit 4&5 couple times and felt OK. 

Played 6 holes this morning B4 rain started.  Hit the 6 hybrid twice and like it.  Never had the 6h B4 but figure with my age may need to start using hybrids more.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I’m debating a triple diamond because they have never made in lefty before and I’ve never had a callaway driver. I want to test it first but might just pull the trigger. I don’t expect much gains in distance but if it helps with fairways and dispersion I am all in. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

Today I'm actually thinking about irons.  Not that I think I need to replace them, but when I updated my player profile I pulled up my Arccos stats and Approach play is my worst strokes gained at -3.7 strokes, almost a stroke and a half worse than my Short game and 2 strokes worse than Driving.  

Now part of me says this is because of some punch out style shots or being blocked out from really getting to a green on approach.  But maybe I'm wrong.  The Forged Tec irons feel great to me, and I have nearly even spacing between clubs.  But maybe something is off.  I'm losing 2.5 of those 3.7 strokes from 100-200 yards, so I know I can improve there.  Also I'm worse from the fairway than the rough, so my earlier statement may be null and void.  

The main culprit seems to be that I'm short of the green 38% of the time compared to hitting the green 39% of the time.  I am only left or right about 10% of the time each, and long only 4%.  So it would seem that I need to take more club.

I'm going to go in this season playing for an extra half a club and take note if I seem to be coming up short because of mishits or on good shots too.  Perhaps I need more forgiveness on there? Time will tell!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

The main culprit seems to be that I'm short of the green 38% of the time compared to hitting the green 39% of the time.  I am only left or right about 10% of the time each, and long only 4%.  So it would seem that I need to take more club.

I'm going to go in this season playing for an extra half a club and take note if I seem to be coming up short because of mishits or on good shots too.

... Not that you asked but I would suggest a full club more. 🤪 Consider on tour they are long 50% and short 50% when they are not pin high. I think you always have to risk being past the pin to both feel confident and not over swing which almost guarantees poor contact and coming up short. Most are pleasantly surprised when they use more club once they get past any ego involved. I like to think of it this way, if the green has water in front like the 17th at Sawgrass and assuming long is safe, what iron would you be hitting to make sure you are taking the water out of play? That is the iron you should use on every approach shot. 

... I would also suggest charting what irons you use on every hole. Not distance or dispersion, just what iron you used. Most are shocked at how few iron shots they use in any given round. 

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Not that you asked but I would suggest a full club more. 🤪 Consider on tour they are long 50% and short 50% when they are not pin high. I think you always have to risk being past the pin to both feel confident and not over swing which almost guarantees poor contact and coming up short. Most are pleasantly surprised when they use more club once they get past any ego involved. I like to think of it this way, if the green has water in front like the 17th at Sawgrass and assuming long is safe, what iron would you be hitting to make sure you are taking the water out of play? That is the iron you should use on every approach shot. 

You're probably right, I can already think of a lot of holes that I play where being past the green is not a pretty situation (including one 20 foot high fence because of the street) and a lot of lightning fast downhill putts if you're past the hole.

In the middle of the summer I played a lot of "don't go past" this yardage on holes where I didn't need to since I was used to that with those tricky holes.  I probably was coming up short more than I realized.  Time to change that mentality and let my putting (strongest SG for me) speak for itself.  🤔

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I don't know how serious I am about it, but I may have to go try out the Mizuno Pro 225's. I was going to wait for the JPX923 Forged to come out, but maybe not...

I'm also itching to replace my Mizuno CLK 3h (because the crown is dented - drives me nuts!!!), maybe with a Titleist TSi2 3h. Only reason I haven't is doubts about which shaft to get in it.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Probably blind buying stealth 3hl with ventus red veolocore

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

... One fitting down, 2 to go. Had a Callaway driver fitting and while I have ruled out the Rogue ST I finally found a fitter with Ventus Velocore Red/Blue that had r-flex demo shafts. Happy to say they did not perform any better than my Tensei Raw Blue. Not so happy to say I fell in love with the Graphite Design IZ 6 in SR flex right between r and s flex. Just super consistent and produced my longest drives. If none of the new drivers prove to be better than my Sim2 Max I will be looking for one of these shafts and of course they ain't cheap. 

... Fitter asked me how far I hit my driver and I said probably around 240. Taking into account we were using range balls I at least was able to compare apples to manzanas with my driver and I was averaging around 255 and my longest drives were 265 so my guys says "You are one of the first to come in for a driver fitting that hits it longer than they tell me so good on ya, but it could very well be the Rogue ST and a perfect shaft match too". Hahaha perfect demo guy, a compliment rolled into a subtle sales pitch. 🤪

... Stealth and LTDx next. 

Tour Edge Exotics C721 hybrid was MGS Most Wanted last year.  Thinking about trying a 17º out to replace my W/S D300 17º.  If I don't like it within 30 days, I can return it at no charge.  By then, the 722 models will be out.

I can't try it out locally, so this option seems like a good choice.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I got a real itch to pick up a TM Stealth plus driver to play around with on the simulator this winter.  I’d have already bought one if I could find one in stock with the RDX 5.5 or 6.0 instead of 6.5. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Golf balls. I am starting to run low and with my recent rash of bad play, it's about time to restock. I normally play the TaylorMade TP5 Pix practice balls, but am seriously considering trying either the MaxFli Tour or X. At 2/$60 right now it's kind of a hard deal to pass up. Plus, there have been several glowing reviews of them on here. 

Don't know which to get, though. I'm almost considering a box of each and doing  a comparison. 

I just got fitted yesterday for the first time. Looking to update my irons. Looks like I am going to go with some Mizuno irons. They flew the lowest for me and that is what I need as I hit the ball too high usually. I actually can’t remember the model irons they were, but my instructor is getting with the Mizuno rep next week to set me up! 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

8 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Golf balls. I am starting to run low and with my recent rash of bad play, it's about time to restock. I normally play the TaylorMade TP5 Pix practice balls, but am seriously considering trying either the MaxFli Tour or X. At 2/$60 right now it's kind of a hard deal to pass up. Plus, there have been several glowing reviews of them on here. 

Don't know which to get, though. I'm almost considering a box of each and doing  a comparison. 

I would suggest the tour based on your game. It will have a little less spin and should help a bit more than the X to keep the ball in the short grass. 

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks Tom!

No problem. Next time we get to play a round together I'll give you a sleeve of the X's to try. Believe it or not, out of the dozen of each that I was given for testing only one was lost. I have had the tours in play since testing ended. I did switch to yellow once the fairways went dormant. Still have all of those too. 

On 2/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, Middler said:

I don't know how serious I am about it, but I may have to go try out the Mizuno Pro 225's. I was going to wait for the JPX923 Forged to come out, but maybe not...

I'm also itching to replace my Mizuno CLK 3h (because the crown is dented - drives me nuts!!!), maybe with a Titleist TSi2 3h. Only reason I haven't is doubts about which shaft to get in it.

I went and hit the 225’s today, that was a mistake. Now I’m trying to talk myself out of buying a set. They felt about the same as my 900F’s, and went 2 yards further (1* stronger), very slightly tighter dispersion, same spin, launch angle, descent angle, ball speed, peak height. If I buy it’ll be because I prefer the blade look and just having something shiny and new - I know perfectly well it won’t change my scoring one bit… 😊

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

No problem. Next time we get to play a round together I'll give you a sleeve of the X's to try. Believe it or not, out of the dozen of each that I was given for testing only one was lost. I have had the tours in play since testing ended. I did switch to yellow once the fairways went dormant. Still have all of those too. 

I appreciate it, Tom. I can believe you've still got all but one of them as well as you hit the ball, just absolutely laser straight. 

I'll give the Tours a try and I hope DSG had some in the yellow, I've been wanting to try a @Yellow Ball for some time. They'll be easier to find when I hit them in the drink. I'll probably be able to follow the bubbles from the scuba gear. 

Mizuno 223’s and the Srixon divide XV. 

I have a fitting this Wednesday to see if these irons are good enough to boot my Hogans. 

The XV divide just intrigue me. I felt underwhelmed by the TP5 last year and want to try something completely different. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Thinking about picking up a Srixon Zx5 driver in a reg shaft, so I have 4 options to work through (Zx7 and Zx5 with interchangeable reg and stiff shafts - riptide 50)  I have tested both heads, and they give me great results... I would like to have the option to pick my trajectory depending on the conditions.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

21 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Thinking about picking up a Srixon Zx5 driver in a reg shaft, so I have 4 options to work through (Zx7 and Zx5 with interchangeable reg and stiff shafts - riptide 50)  I have tested both heads, and they give me great results... I would like to have the option to pick my trajectory depending on the conditions.  

... At my Callaway fitting a few days ago I was hitting my driver around 255-265 which is normally a stiff flex but I have a smooth transition and build speed through a late release and the R/SR flex worked best for me. Fitter said you can easily handle an S-flex but when I had you hit one, on the second/third swings I could tell you went at it a little harder because you didn't get that familiar kick with your first swing, so lets stick with SR or R (depending on the shaft). We talked about his experiences and he agreed it is an art/science combo and he has fit players that drive the ball 220 into an x-flex because they have a much more "violent" swing. As the saying goes, it isn't how fast you swing it is how you swing fast that counts in shaft selection. If you can honestly swing the same shaft in R or S without changing your swing, it sounds like an interesting option. 👍