Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What equipment are you thinking about?

null

On 9/3/2022 at 8:06 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Was thinking bout this a little more last night.

What is your carry distance with the 5w?

What are you looking for distance wise out of the club between this and your driver?

What will the purpose be for this club? Option off the tee? Second shot into par 5s? Something else.

I carry 5 wood 180, I carry driver 215, I’m looking for something that I can get 200 out of - 5 wood averages 190.  There are two holes at my club where I could use a bit more distance off the tee but driver brings water into play. There’s a long par 5 where 15 additional yards would leave a short iron rather than a mid iron for a 3rd shot. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

26 minutes ago, revkev said:

I carry 5 wood 180, I carry driver 215, I’m looking for something that I can get 200 out of - 5 wood averages 190.  There are two holes at my club where I could use a bit more distance off the tee but driver brings water into play. There’s a long par 5 where 15 additional yards would leave a short iron rather than a mid iron for a 3rd shot. 

All things being equal 3° less loft would be where you would want to be but with 4 and 5 woods usually being close in loft 4w with 3w shaft probably gets you what you need. Maybe even loft the 4w down 1°

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Not something I’m thinking about, but something I did that has turned my game around.

I’ve had a rough time with my short game the last year and a half or so, and I got some great advice from one of the better players at my club. He told me to take the 54* and 58* wedges out of my bag and replace them with a 56* and a chipper. (Yes, a chipper). 
Turns out I can do everything with the 56 I could with the 54&58, in fact using just one wedge has simplified things a lot. The game changer though has been that chipper. I tried one years ago and hated it, but the Smart Sole has been money from the day I got it. I’ve had more up and downs the last couple of weeks than I’ve had in months. I’ve even holed out 3 times with it.

I’m finally getting it through my thick skull that my game has changed the last two years. I’ve lost a bit of speed, but as long as I can keep my ego in check, and accept the fact that the clubs I’m playing right now might not be the sexiest, but they are the best suited for me, I should end up scoring better than I have in a long time, and getting down to single digits might still be doable. It won’t be easy, but it’s still the goal.

My bag from the 4 hybrid down is perfect right now, and while the driver, FW and 3H are good, I really think I can get more out of those spots. If I’m right, and I can figure them out, and get them set the way I think I can, we’ll be in business.

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

trying to decide between JPX 923 set GW or Ping Glide 4.0 GW. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

trying to decide between JPX 923 set GW or Ping Glide 4.0 GW. 

What are the pros and cons for you between set wedge vs specialty wedge? 

I ask because when I bought my r7TPs, it did not include the PW. I haven't wanted to purchase one due to their price, age and my intention to eventually play in some competitive fashion(r7TPs are not post-2010 conforming).

This has also got me thinking of whether I should go set or specialty wedge for my next set.

(Sorry for the long winded explanation)

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

2 minutes ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

I ask because when I bought my r7TPs, it did not include the PW. I haven't wanted to purchase one due to their price, age and my intention to eventually play in some competitive fashion(r7TPs are not post-2010 conforming).

This has also got me thinking of whether I should go set or specialty wedge for my next set.

... Shot shape and personal preference. Most on tour have a non set pw in the 46-48* range because it launches lower and provides excellent control. A set wedge usually has more weight low to help the ball in the air and perimeter weighting for help on more egregious mishits. I would ask yourself this question: Do I hit more full shots ... or 1/2 and 3/4 swings controlling trajectory and distance? If the former you may find a set wedge more beneficial and the latter would do better with a specialty wedge. No hard and fast rules and every player is different, but it's a good starting point. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Shot shape and personal preference. Most on tour have a non set pw in the 46-48* range because it launches lower and provides excellent control. A set wedge usually has more weight low to help the ball in the air and perimeter weighting for help on more egregious mishits. I would ask yourself this question: Do I hit more full shots ... or 1/2 and 3/4 swings controlling trajectory and distance? If the former you may find a set wedge more beneficial and the latter would do better with a specialty wedge. No hard and fast rules and every player is different, but it's a good starting point. 

I like how you answered that as I’ve been in kind of a quandary as which way to go: set wedges vs specialty wedges.  With my current/old set of pings, I have a PW/UW/SW, then added a very old 58 deg low bounce that was given to me.  Over the past couple years worked a lot to develop 3/4 swing for the 3 pings, then added a ‘touch’ (1/3) swing with the SW. Adding the 58 deg, I’ve worked on a variety of shots with squared and open face depending on turf firmness.  

With a new set of irons, I’ve decided on a ‘set’ PW and AW for the full and 3/4 swing shots, then debating on whether to go set or specialty for the SW.  What I’ve decided is to likely go 54 deg HB specialty with characteristics to support both full swing fairway and also sand, then a 58 deg LB for sand, squared and open face touch shots close to the green.  Looking at Callaway MD and Cleveland RTX for the specialty, still trying to understand the various grinds.  

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

16 hours ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

16 hours ago, chisag said:

For exactly the reasons Chisag outlined, I am really thinking hard about adding a specialty PW to replace my set wedge.  I find myself more and more disappointed when I have a yardage that puts me outside my 50* and have to pull the PW.  Not because of the poor performance of the set wedge, but because of the awesome performanc of my specialty wedges.  I think I have said it before... if Vokey made a full set of irons... I wouldn't hesitate haha.  

For me the specialty wedges are just full of various shot distances and shape possibilities... where some (especially as you move more into the GI / SGI range) are specifically designed for full shots.  My new best friend is a narrow stance 3/4 swing pin seeker... and the set PW does a good job... but I get much better results (proximity to the pin) when I'm in the 50* range.

Now that worm is in my brain again... it won't be long until I post in the CHA thread.. 😕

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Rogue ST lineup now on CPO, FYI

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Rogue ST lineup now on CPO, FYI

This is the line that I'm currently interested in.  What do you mean by CPO?  I'm pretty dense.  Promotional offer?

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

1 minute ago, Mr. Mushball said:

This is the line that I'm currently interested in.  What do you mean by CPO?  I'm pretty dense.  Promotional offer?

Doh, answered my own question.  Certified Pre-Owned.  #Getp0nwd

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

BGT ZNE wedge shafts...I'm not sure if the benefit for many will be on full swing wedges or pitch shots.

My takeaways from the video were front to back distance control and a feeling of square faced consistency.  

Anyone else know more about these?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

@BIG STU if I remember correctly, you were thinking of picking up a new Jones golf bag. They’re having a 30% off sale thru Monday.

(if you can’t get the discount on their site, dm me)

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

On 9/9/2022 at 10:39 PM, Grand Stranded said:

@BIG STU if I remember correctly, you were thinking of picking up a new Jones golf bag. They’re having a 30% off sale thru Monday.

(if you can’t get the discount on their site, dm me)

Thanks man I decided to hold off nothing at all wrong with the one I have plus the one I was eying has no spine and it will be aggervating on a cart.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

As the summer winds down and I get into fall/winter golf I’m thinking about a new driver.   While I hit the G400 well, it is getting up in age and might be reaching the point where I could find a driver with a little better performance.   TSR is probably leading the check it out list as are this past years Callaway drivers.   If I start this experiment I am going to see if I can do a poor man’s accuflex experiment and see if I can get a performance boost using that approach as well.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Either a Sim2 5 wood, or a PXG putter.  Or maybe even a new 60° wedge.

But on my Christmas wish list is the Alphard Club Booster V2!

Chiller Cart Bag

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 9° - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim Max Rocket 3wd 14° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Rescue 4H 22° - Ventus Blue 7S

:cobra-small: King Forged Tec 2020 - 5 thru PW - Dynamic Gold S400

:cleveland-small: CBX 2 54° Wedge

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole 3 Sand Wedge 58°

Bat Attack Battle Ready Putter 34"

:Arccos: Tracking

Thinking of stiffer shafts for irons. As I am gaining SS with driver hitting the gym more, i am curious if my set from three years ago is not going to be stiff enough for me. I have started losing some dispersion on shots and wonder if going stiffer will help tighten things up.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Yesterday I dodged the urge to order a mizuno driver st a 220 with the hazardous blue shaft. Price drop just put them at $299.99. Really think for next year I want to go lighter head and shaft combo to pick up some speed vs my g425 which is quite heavy. Sacrifice some stability for distance 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

157EDD3A-BA98-4441-966D-1C9F1D77B7EE.jpeg.eb2263fa11ed9f98b4d098b9ddada6e9.jpeg

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

3 hours ago, yungkory said:

Well, what did you think?!?

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

5 hours ago, yungkory said:

I think the framing of your picture is off a little bit, there's a big pink thing getting in the way of your kicks! 😉

Jokes aside, what are your thoughts? Did you buy it, or just testing it out?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

5 hours ago, edingc said:

Well, what did you think?!?

3 hours ago, ncwoz said:

I think the framing of your picture is off a little bit, there's a big pink thing getting in the way of your kicks! 😉

Jokes aside, what are your thoughts? Did you buy it, or just testing it out?

Played a fundraiser scramble tournament today and the course it was held at is where Truespec happens to live. Since I got my new irons in, I went to go thank the fitter (as I mentioned in my Truespec thread, I've known her for a few years now) and she said she had the new TSR heads and asked if I wanted to try them. Told her I wanted to try an Autoflex so she built me one in my current head. She said it's probably going to be good for me because I have a slow/smooth tempo. She's fit me for two Titleist drivers in the past and now irons, so she pretty much knows what works for me at this point.

At first, swinging the "stiff" flex, I wasn't really impressed. It was spinning a bunch and I didn't gain any distance, but it didn't really want to go anywhere but straight. Then she said let's try the "x" that I posted in the picture and I have to say the hype is real. Club speed didn't really increase. I got faster as I warmed up, but still in the 105 range. I might've lost speed since I'm not playing as much, so maybe I did gain. I didn't get my gamer out to measure against because I didn't want to turn it into a free fitting and be "that guy"

I was consistently in the 152-155 ball speed range spinning at 2200 ish and seeing 280 on quad hitting ProVs. The best part tho was that it felt effortless. Like I didn't have to put much into it at all, and it was just being sent.

What's most interesting was it was a stock head. I remember your thread @edingc and specifically the many iterations of head weights you had to play with to get the swing weight dialed in.

Told her I'll be back when they get the Brava shaft so I can try them side by side. I could probably just slap one in and call it a day, but at that price I want to do my due diligence, and also make sure I'm in the right head, though I really like the Rogue ST LS.

Also the kicks are 🔥. BOA is pretty cool and makes slipping your shoes on and off a breeze! Was concerned these are "wide" and I'm skinny all the way down to my feet, but they fit nicely. Easily my most comfortable shoe, hope they make more colorways with the BOA laces.

6 hours ago, yungkory said:

I was consistently in the 152-155 ball speed range spinning at 2200 ish and seeing 280 on quad hitting ProVs. The best part tho was that it felt effortless. Like I didn't have to put much into it at all, and it was just being sent.

What's most interesting was it was a stock head. I remember your thread @edingc and specifically the many iterations of head weights you had to play with to get the swing weight dialed in.

Told her I'll be back when they get the Brava shaft so I can try them side by side. I could probably just slap one in and call it a day, but at that price I want to do my due diligence, and also make sure I'm in the right head, though I really like the Rogue ST LS.

I do wonder if I had gotten into the 505XX if I would have had better results.

The Brava shaft is intriguing, I wonder how it feels compared to the AF? Ian's results on TXG really have me interested.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

5 hours ago, edingc said:

I do wonder if I had gotten into the 505XX if I would have had better results.

The Brava shaft is intriguing, I wonder how it feels compared to the AF? Ian's results on TXG really have me interested.

I know you were working on getting stronger and stuff so maybe you just "outgrew" the x and the xx might've been a good switch. Again, hard to commit to something with a hefty price tag like that without being able to test. The Brava might be good for you! Ian said it felt more stable to him. It might be a good autoflex alternative for the stronger swing?

2 minutes ago, garyflynn said:

I have heard that autoflex shafts will be available in some of the major brands next year.  Does anyone know if this is true or not.  I am wanting one but was waiting to order through a major company if possible.

So it is available in the current Callaway line and just saw it's an option in TSR as well.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

10 minutes ago, garyflynn said:

What is TSR?

Titleist's new driver line

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

923 HM Pro

went to the store today to figure out HM vs HM Pro. 923 heads are not in yet, so needed to use 921 as a proxy. Hit the HM pro much better. in theory, HM should be more forgiving, but for my spinny mishits, the HM pro provided less distance loss via less spin. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I'd like to upgrade my wedges, but I'm not sure if I need to do so.  I've got a new lob wedge but my gap and sand wedges are older.  If all my shots roll out no matter what, is a newer club really necessary?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter