Jump to content
Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
jlukes

What equipment are you thinking about?

Recommended Posts

TM is making it hard to not tinker and do a blind buy. Trying to hold on until it’s warm enough for demo days might be hard

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
I need some sort of tracking...Arccos, Game golf, Shotscope...

Shotscope V2 has been really good my first 3 times using it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Still shopping for 54 and 60 degree wedges. Have my eyes on the Maltby M+ series, anyone play them? I could get them assembled with KBS Hi-Revs for $60 delivered. I was looking at the mid-sole options for both. Only thing stopping me at the moment is my concern on whether I would get use to a slightly thicker-soled wedge. For the past couple of years I've pretty much exclusively used a Nike SV Tour 56 degree for just about any type of shot requiring a wedge.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, edingc said:

Still shopping for 54 and 60 degree wedges. Have my eyes on the Maltby M+ series, anyone play them? I could get them assembled with KBS Hi-Revs for $60 delivered. I was looking at the mid-sole options for both. Only thing stopping me at the moment is my concern on whether I would get use to a slightly thicker-soled wedge. For the past couple of years I've pretty much exclusively used a Nike SV Tour 56 degree for just about any type of shot requiring a wedge.

Sole and bounce is one of the most important aspects of selecting a wedge (with loft/yardage gaps being the most important).  

Share this post


Link to post

Having some difficulty waiting for the demo days and new equipment to come out. I went to Club Champion about a month ago and hit the TS3 driver great!  Hard to imagine anything beating it out.   

 

Also looking at the r motion club analyzer for the winter, but I don't that I can justify buying the driver and the club analyzer.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, jlukes said:

Sole and bounce is one of the most important aspects of selecting a wedge (with loft/yardage gaps being the most important).  

Thanks. Never have paid much attention before now, and I hate to spend $60 on something that won't be helpful.

We have what I would call average to soft turf conditions here, and average to firm sand. When I had my 56* Nike, I played a lot of open-face flop style shots, though with a 60* I potentially wouldn't use that shot as much. Really looking for something that will help me in the 25-75 yard range, as I have a 48* gap wedge that is just too much club for that range.

The M+ comes in Tour, Mid and Wide soles. Heavily leaning toward mid-sole for the 54* as an all-around club, and potentially the wide for the 60*. I like the idea of having a very wide and potentially easier to hit 60*, especially for the plushy rough that I often chip out of around the green.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, edingc said:

Thanks. Never have paid much attention before now, and I hate to spend $60 on something that won't be helpful.

We have what I would call average to soft turf conditions here, and average to firm sand. When I had my 56* Nike, I played a lot of open-face flop style shots, though with a 60* I potentially wouldn't use that shot as much. Really looking for something that will help me in the 25-75 yard range, as I have a 48* gap wedge that is just too much club for that range.

The M+ comes in Tour, Mid and Wide soles. Heavily leaning toward mid-sole for the 54* as an all-around club, and potentially the wide for the 60*. I like the idea of having a very wide and potentially easier to hit 60*, especially for the plushy rough that I often chip out of around the green.

Keep in mind (and i'm still learning this myself) that I understand that there generally should be 4* between wedges. Since you have that 48* gapper already, consider filling in the remainder of the bag with a 52*, 56* & 60* (if needed). I'm am not a total authority on this at all, but based on my own set, I'd think that you may have too much of a gap between your current 48* club and a 54*. I'm pretty sure I would. Again, just something to consider as "generic" advise. cheers!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, edingc said:

Thanks. Never have paid much attention before now, and I hate to spend $60 on something that won't be helpful.

We have what I would call average to soft turf conditions here, and average to firm sand. When I had my 56* Nike, I played a lot of open-face flop style shots, though with a 60* I potentially wouldn't use that shot as much. Really looking for something that will help me in the 25-75 yard range, as I have a 48* gap wedge that is just too much club for that range.

The M+ comes in Tour, Mid and Wide soles. Heavily leaning toward mid-sole for the 54* as an all-around club, and potentially the wide for the 60*. I like the idea of having a very wide and potentially easier to hit 60*, especially for the plushy rough that I often chip out of around the green.

I love my Vokey D grind for just the reason you mentioned - it's great on greenside rough. It's also great in medium to soft sand 

My 54 has the S grind which has more trail edge relief so it does a bit better from former conditions. 

You need to think about what types of shots you play, and from where, with each club so you can make sure you fit them into your needs 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Keep in mind (and i'm still learning this myself) that I understand that there generally should be 4* between wedges. Since you have that 48* gapper already, consider filling in the remainder of the bag with a 52*, 56* & 60* (if needed). I'm am not a total authority on this at all, but based on my own set, I'd think that you may have too much of a gap between your current 48* club and a 54*. I'm pretty sure I would. Again, just something to consider as "generic" advise. cheers!

The wilson c300s are extremely strong lofted, so with a gap wedge 48* he might be able to only fit in two more wedges in his bag.  

I did notice that he doesn't have anything between his 3W and 4i so he could potentially have another wedge if he doesn't need a 5W or 3H.

Assuming he is going to add another club at the top of his bag and his gap wedge is 48*, a 54 and 60 solution would be fine if it covers the yardages he wants to play.  

Another option would be to go 52 (bent to 53) and 58.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, jlukes said:

The wilson c300s are extremely strong lofted, so with a gap wedge 48* he might be able to only fit in two more wedges in his bag.  

I did notice that he doesn't have anything between his 3W and 4i so he could potentially have another wedge if he doesn't need a 5W or 3H.

Assuming he is going to add another club at the top of his bag and his gap wedge is 48*, a 54 and 60 solution would be fine if it covers the yardages he wants to play.  

Another option would be to go 52 (bent to 53) and 58.

That's awesome stuff J! one of the many benefits of this site is great stuff like this!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Keep in mind (and i'm still learning this myself) that I understand that there generally should be 4* between wedges. Since you have that 48* gapper already, consider filling in the remainder of the bag with a 52*, 56* & 60* (if needed). I'm am not a total authority on this at all, but based on my own set, I'd think that you may have too much of a gap between your current 48* club and a 54*. I'm pretty sure I would. Again, just something to consider as "generic" advise. cheers!

That's exactly what i have in my bag - GP=48, then 52,56 and 60. With a difference in the bounce between the 56 and 60. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The wilson c300s are extremely strong lofted, so with a gap wedge 48* he might be able to only fit in two more wedges in his bag.  

I did notice that he doesn't have anything between his 3W and 4i so he could potentially have another wedge if he doesn't need a 5W or 3H.

Assuming he is going to add another club at the top of his bag and his gap wedge is 48*, a 54 and 60 solution would be fine if it covers the yardages he wants to play.  

Another option would be to go 52 (bent to 53) and 58.

 

1 minute ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

That's awesome stuff J! one of the many benefits of this site is great stuff like this!

Agreed. Very helpful. 

As you can tell, I'm still tinkering. This is the first time I've seriously committed to playing golf better and also the first time I heavily researched anything before buying. I started last summer with a low-spin, unforgiving driver (Adams Super LS) and irons that were a little too much for my skill set (Nike CCIs). Truthfully bought both because of their looks and name rather than for their fit to my game.

It is correct I still do not have something between my 3W and 4 iron. Not sure what the best play is there yet. I really struggle with hybrids, so I've considered a 5W in that spot. Until I improve and get a little more distance out of my driver (a great shot for me right now is 225 carry, but generally sit between 92-94 MPH driver speed with closer to 210 carry), I start running into gapping issues at the top of my bag with the 3W/5W/hybrid/4 iron all coming pretty close to each other.

I play a lot of shorter courses and par 3s with my in-laws, who are in their 60s and don't hit the ball very far. So, up until now I've rarely had a need for too many clubs at the top or bottom of the bag. Generally, for the past two golfing seasons it was a 5-PW off the tee, a 56* to chip if I missed the green, and then the putter.

I played a short par 36 last weekend and did not use the 3W once, opting for the driver, 4 iron or 5 iron off the tee, depending on the distance I wanted to play in.

I really do think I will eventually want to add that 5W, or perhaps a driving iron (hah!) if I ever get my ball striking where is should be. And because of that, I think I am going to go ahead and start with the 54* and 60*. They are at least reasonable in price, so should I change my mind I can also order another one and swap them myself. Worst case I end up with a wide variety to choose from based on the course.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, edingc said:

 

Agreed. Very helpful. 

As you can tell, I'm still tinkering. This is the first time I've seriously committed to playing golf better and also the first time I heavily researched anything before buying. I started last summer with a low-spin, unforgiving driver (Adams Super LS) and irons that were a little too much for my skill set (Nike CCIs). Truthfully bought both because of their looks and name rather than for their fit to my game.

It is correct I still do not have something between my 3W and 4 iron. Not sure what the best play is there yet. I really struggle with hybrids, so I've considered a 5W in that spot. Until I improve and get a little more distance out of my driver (a great shot for me right now is 225 carry, but generally sit between 92-94 MPH driver speed with closer to 210 carry), I start running into gapping issues at the top of my bag with the 3W/5W/hybrid/4 iron all coming pretty close to each other.

I play a lot of shorter courses and par 3s with my in-laws, who are in their 60s and don't hit the ball very far. So, up until now I've rarely had a need for too many clubs at the top or bottom of the bag. Generally, for the past two golfing seasons it was a 5-PW off the tee, a 56* to chip if I missed the green, and then the putter.

I played a short par 36 last weekend and did not use the 3W once, opting for the driver, 4 iron or 5 iron off the tee, depending on the distance I wanted to play in.

I really do think I will eventually want to add that 5W, or perhaps a driving iron (hah!) if I ever get my ball striking where is should be. And because of that, I think I am going to go ahead and start with the 54* and 60*. They are at least reasonable in price, so should I change my mind I can also order another one and swap them myself. Worst case I end up with a wide variety to choose from based on the course.

You really have a great understanding of your game for someone so new to the game.  You definitely don't want to carry a club if it is not benefiting you.  

There are a number of things that could be playing into your issues with gapping at the top.  It could be a fitting issue, it could be a swing issue, or it could be a combination of both. 

Assuming that you won't be getting a professional fitting anytime soon, then you are best to not carry clubs that you won't use.  Now just because that will then give you an extra club at the bottom of your bag doesn't mean you should carry one.  I think a 54 and 60 are perfect for your skill level.  As you play more, you will learn what types of shots you hit around the green and then you can determine if you need to change up your wedge setup.

Since you are relatively new to the game, I would suggest find a teaching pro in your area and getting some lessons, especially before you develop some bad habits.  A lot of teaching pros also do fittings, so as your swing progresses you will be able to ask them about how your bag setup is hurting or helping you and how you could potentially fit some of the new gaps that might develop if you start hitting the ball further or hitting your woods and long irons more consistently.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Number one on my list is getting my swing in order.  After a ton of research etc I know what I want to work on when I get the chance. 

As for equipment, here's my wish list:

1) Ping G400 Max,  OR, whatever new driver turns out to work best for me.  

2) Launch Monitor/simulator/home swing station.  I cannot hit the range/course nearly as much as I'd like to, it would be nice to have a spot to swing when time permits.  Plus having some digital feedback would rule :). 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m just waiting patiently for all the new drivers to come out. Once that happens I’m going to try them all.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Wedgie said:

I’m just waiting patiently for all the new drivers to come out. Once that happens I’m going to try them all.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Spoken like a true MGS equipment junkie...Seek help man!😜

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I’m just waiting patiently for all the new drivers to come out. Once that happens I’m going to try them all.

 

I am on my way to testing them all.  So far the list is:  Cobra King F9, Cleveland HB, Bridgestone JGR,   PXG XF, XXIO,  Wilson Cortex,  Mizuno ST 190,  Tommy Armour Atomic, Srixon 585.   Next week should add another 8 to the list to include Titleist and Ping..    I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch.  Ball speed and distance numbers are all about the same.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
I am on my way to testing them all.  So far the list is:  Cobra King F9, Cleveland HB, Bridgestone JGR,   PXG XF, XXIO,  Wilson Cortex,  Mizuno ST 190,  Tommy Armour Atomic, Srixon 585.   Next week should add another 8 to the list to include Titleist and Ping..    I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch.  Ball speed and distance numbers are all about the same.  


Sounds fun...enjoy! I’m curious about the F9, JGR and Mizuno.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Wedgie said:


Sounds fun...enjoy! I’m curious about the F9, JGR and Mizuno.
 

 

Good options.   Hope you get to try them soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×