jlukes

What equipment are you thinking about?

So I have to get a set of irons with graphites. Do I stick as current as possible, such as D300s (or even D200s), or do I save a few hundred $$ and go with a set I know works for me, such as Diablo Edge, Speedblade, Adams XTD, etc. I'm looking at the $$$ flying out the window for my daughter's dorm room stuff and I feel guilty buying stuff right now.

• Like 4

I am now looking hard at taking the next step, backwards, in clubs. Looking to build a hickory set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Man do I wish Golfsmith was still around so I could hit some clubs. Moved my D300s to get a set of irons with graphites, I was leaning towards staying with the D200/D300 as I'm familiar with them and I know they work for me, but I've got a hard, HARD ponder on some Mizuno JPX-EZs. Never hit them though and can't find a set anywhere near me to try out. 

• Like 2

I am now looking hard at taking the next step, backwards, in clubs. Looking to build a hickory set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would really, really like to do that. There is a lot about the whole scene that appeals to me. I've been looking at Tad Moore and others for a year or so. Interested in your build - yours are always sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything. Have a fitting in 2 days! Curious as to what will be better. My prediction is that I will end up with new irons and a different shaft in driver but I think that will be the only changes. May be able to find something different between 3w and 4 iron but am doubtful as this has been a trouble spot in my bag for years. 

• Like 5

On 8/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, edingc said:

I keep waffling on buying a 52/56 wedge combo to replace my 54/60 setup. I found a nice deal online for some new Cobra PUR wedges (2017 model), but the are just stock Dynamic Gold wedge shafts. Really wanting to drop KBS Tour Wedge shafts in whatever wedge I buy, but that adds another $50-$90 depending on grip choice and whether I splurge for the sexy matte black shafts.

I've also thought about building two more Maltby M-Series+ wedges like I already have, as I like them a lot and the DBM finish is very good. At $36/head they would come in around $180 total for a full build with the matte black shafts.

Then, I think about waiting for some deals on the original Cleveland CBX line now that the CBX2 will be out. Or some Ping Glides because they look nice, too.

I'm not sure how long I'll hang onto my Wilson C300s either, so I'm torn about buying wedges to fit my current gapping.

In the back of my head I'm also realizing it is already August 6, and I realistically have about 8 more weeks of pleasant golfing weather and maybe an additional 2-3 weeks after that if I'm lucky. Lots of money to drop just to solve a small problem at the bottom of my bag right as the season is winding down.

I went to a 52, 56 RTX3 set up about 2 months ago. Before that I was at 54, 58 with MD3 wedges.

I bought a set of Rogue X irons, and the AW is 46*, so staying with the 54 would have been a 2 club gap (8*), so I bought the 52. My 58 was great from bunkers, but I was never able to get a consistent full swing distance with it. Most of the time I ballooned it, and came up short. I took a chance on the 56, and it's worked out very well. I'm just as good out of the bunker, and get more consistent yardage on a full swing.

I rarely use my 3 wood, it's my least favorite club in my bag. I'm thinking about replacing it with a 60* LW, if for no other reason then to remove the temptation of ever hitting another 3 wood off the deck again. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 8:57 PM, ole gray said:

I love my Callaway Sureout 62 degree wedge so much that I bought a 56 degree.  Putting it into play tomorrow!

I just noticed you've put an Epic Flash in your bag. Congrats, how do you like it so far? I bought one from CPO last week, but wasn't happy with the "like new" condition, so I sent it back without ever hitting it. I know I need a 9* head, because with my swing I'm better off lofting up then getting a 10.5 and going down if I need to adjust.

Here's my question, We're about the same age, and it seems like we hit the ball about the same distance. I'm curious which shaft you chose? 

I'm trying to decide between the Evenflow 55, or the Hazardous Black. I'd even consider the lighter weight Evenflow 45 option. I wish I could demo all 3, but it's hard to find a 9* demo head in a store, much less the shafts w/lefty adapters.

• Like 1

I've been intrigued by the one length iron concept for a couple of years now. There's a seller on eBay listing the Forged One 4-PW set new for $370: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cobra-Golf-KING-Forged-One-Length-Irons-Choose-Shaft-Flex-Length/273931782281?var=573829813323

So if I sell my old Adams XTD Tours and the set of Callaway X-Forged that are just sitting in my basement, I'd have a new, very interesting set of toys to test... 🙂

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I just noticed you've put an Epic Flash in your bag. Congrats, how do you like it so far? I bought one from CPO last week, but wasn't happy with the "like new" condition, so I sent it back without ever hitting it. I know I need a 9* head, because with my swing I'm better off lofting up then getting a 10.5 and going down if I need to adjust.

Here's my question, We're about the same age, and it seems like we hit the ball about the same distance. I'm curious which shaft you chose? 

I'm trying to decide between the Evenflow 55, or the Hazardous Black. I'd even consider the lighter weight Evenflow 45 option. I wish I could demo all 3, but it's hard to find a 9* demo head in a store, much less the shafts w/lefty adapters.

I game the 10.5 with the Evenflow 55 and LOVE it! ❤️ Longest driver and best dispersion I've ever gamed.  I have the Ping G400 Mas and it's a great driver but man, the Epic Flash has blown me away.  I haven't monkeyed with the adjustments /sliding weight because I'm totally happy with my ball flight etc.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ole gray said:

I game the 10.5 with the Evenflow 55 and LOVE it! ❤️ Longest driver and best dispersion I've ever gamed.  I have the Ping G400 Mas and it's a great driver but man, the Epic Flash has blown me away.  I haven't monkeyed with the adjustments /sliding weight because I'm totally happy with my ball flight etc.  

Thanks my friend.

I appreciate you including how you feel about the 400 Max in your reply. That sealed the deal for me. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that 9^ right now! The great thing about CPO is I have 30 days to send in the trade, so that gives me time to compare the two for myself. Then they give you the 90 day playability thing on top of that.

• Like 1

Thanks my friend.
I appreciate you including how you feel about the 400 Max in your reply. That sealed the deal for me. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that 9^ right now! The great thing about CPO is I have 30 days to send in the trade, so that gives me time to compare the two for myself. Then they give you the 90 day playability thing on top of that.

Congrats partner and looking forward to your take on it 🏌️♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

I've been intrigued by the one length iron concept for a couple of years now. There's a seller on eBay listing the Forged One 4-PW set new for $370: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cobra-Golf-KING-Forged-One-Length-Irons-Choose-Shaft-Flex-Length/273931782281?var=573829813323
So if I sell my old Adams XTD Tours and the set of Callaway X-Forged that are just sitting in my basement, I'd have a new, very interesting set of toys to test...

I was tempted more than once to grab some One Lengths this last week, in the end I opted against it. They make sense for someone like me, however as a slower swinger I worry about elevating the “longer” irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I was tempted more than once to grab some One Lengths this last week, in the end I opted against it. They make sense for someone like me, however as a slower swinger I worry about elevating the “longer” irons.

I hit the Cobra One Length a couple of years ago at a PGASS in Scottsdale.  I didn't hit the "longer" iron any worse than I do my irons, but I don't have anything longer than a 6i although it has 24º of loft.  I was more concerned about the wedges being too long.  If I were 10 years younger I might give one length a try, but I'm not sure this old dog can learn that trick.  If I were to do it, I would seriously consider the Edel because IMO they have the best approach to one length irons.  They're pricey, but if I did it, I would like to have the option that gives me the best chance of success.

• Like 3

I am considering the Oban CT 125 shafts for my new set of Titleist 620 MB Irons, I ordered them with Project X LZ that I had in my Srixon set but testing the CT 115 piqued my interest in the 125's.

Been planning on new irons after my game gets back on track after the surgeries to my hands.Swinging good so I hit some Titleist, Srixons, and Mizunos the other day. Think Im leaning towards Mizunos  as the feel is amazing and I think that feel might be easiers on my hands . 

• Like 1

I keep finding myself perusing Maltby's site...

Could certainly upgrade irons (leaning towards the DBM's), or maybe a Driver (Iso-T), or throw in a hybrid to help some gapping. Probably don't need wedges as much, but man those clubs look freakin' awesome. Only hesitancy with Maltby is not being able to try 'em out. I'm not very shaft-savvy, but would be willing to learn.

Could I get fit locally to a typical OEM club, and then be able to draw some parallels over to GolfWorks to find what'll work?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ncwoz said:

I keep finding myself perusing Maltby's site...

Could certainly upgrade irons (leaning towards the DBM's), or maybe a Driver (Iso-T), or throw in a hybrid to help some gapping. Probably don't need wedges as much, but man those clubs look freakin' awesome. Only hesitancy with Maltby is not being able to try 'em out. I'm not very shaft-savvy, but would be willing to learn.

Could I get fit locally to a typical OEM club, and then be able to draw some parallels over to GolfWorks to find what'll work?

You can draw some comparisons by doing some OEM fittings or the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer.  It would be best if you could figure out headweights for each clubhead so you are close to how the shaft will react during the swing.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

You can draw some comparisons by doing some OEM fittings or the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer.  It would be best if you could figure out headweights for each clubhead so you are close to how the shaft will react during the swing.   

@ncwoz - This is my plan for when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Debating between DBM, TE Forged, PTM Chrome or PTM Black. Still leaning toward PTM Chrome or the TE Forged since they can be bent for loft/lie more easily.

I think Maple Hill has the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, not 100 percent positive though. I'd have to call over there. And not sure if they would charge you a full fitting fee to hit it a few times. I'm still waiting for their free putter fitting promotion to be over at the end of September. They should shift over to their "Buy a Fitting, Get the Fitting Fee Back on a Giftcard" promotion starting in October if they continue the schedule they've done in the past.

I've read mixed feelings on the ISO-T, some people seem to love it and other don't get along with it. Have you hit a current season driver like the Cobra F9? Once next year's crop of drivers come out, I would expect you will be able to find brand new F9s and/or other current model drivers in the sub-$300 range on eBay. By the time you add a shaft and grip to the ISO-T you're looking at more than $200 anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edingc said:

@ncwoz - This is my plan for when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Debating between DBM, TE Forged, PTM Chrome or PTM Black. Still leaning toward PTM Chrome or the TE Forged since they can be bent for loft/lie more easily.

I think Maple Hill has the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, not 100 percent positive though. I'd have to call over there. And not sure if they would charge you a full fitting fee to hit it a few times. I'm still waiting for their free putter fitting promotion to be over at the end of September. They should shift over to their "Buy a Fitting, Get the Fitting Fee Back on a Giftcard" promotion starting in October if they continue the schedule they've done in the past.

I've read mixed feelings on the ISO-T, some people seem to love it and other don't get along with it. Have you hit a current season driver like the Cobra F9? Once next year's crop of drivers come out, I would expect you will be able to find brand new F9s and/or other current model drivers in the sub-$300 range on eBay. By the time you add a shaft and grip to the ISO-T you're looking at more than $200 anyway.

I'm in the exact same boat on the irons, would love to know your thoughts if/when you do pull the trigger.

And that's probably a good call in the ISO-T. I've seen some somewhat iffy reviews as well. A random guy at a range let me hit his last year's Rogue once but that was it. For what it's worth tho it felt pretty great!