jlukes

What equipment are you thinking about?

Already thinking about getting rid of the Callys I just got and just going with something tried and true like some G25s. The XRs just don't feel "right" to me. This damn tennis elbow sucks, need to find something that'll work with my swing and my stupid arm. 

• Like 2

The T series irons from Titleist .... particularly the T200's

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Giving serious consideration to pulling the trigger on a new Cleveland Frontline Elevado slant neck. I love the look.

Might have to get a couple putters from the current collection posted in the classifieds to justify the purchase.

• Like 4

Driver shafts. Been looking for a while haven’t found what I want. Saw a MGS tweet about the KBS store in Carlsbad and that they are going to have driver shafts. Love KBS shafts so I am awaiting this release and the opportunity to give one a try.

• Like 5

On 9/7/2019 at 7:52 PM, russtopherb said:

Already thinking about getting rid of the Callys I just got and just going with something tried and true like some G25s. The XRs just don't feel "right" to me. This damn tennis elbow sucks, need to find something that'll work with my swing and my stupid arm. 

Are you referring to the Steelheads?

5 hours ago, ole gray said:

Are you referring to the Steelheads?

No, the "original' XR line from 2015.

• Like 1

I am thinking about going back to game improvement irons. I like my Taylor Made MC’s. I just hit my buddies old Ping G15’s and loved them. It brings about the question when starts using player iron’s?

First time poster

15 hours ago, Nick Agostinelli said:

I am thinking about going back to game improvement irons. I like my Taylor Made MC’s. I just hit my buddies old Ping G15’s and loved them. It brings about the question when starts using player iron’s?

First time poster

... I will go to my grave saying this: You should play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. Means many things to many players but essentially if you like the look and get the ball flight you want with forgiveness equivalent to your ball striking ability, play 'em. I always advise start with the most forgiving and work your way down. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 8

Saw and held the entire new cobra lineup today. Very impressive 

• Like 3

Currently going through a full reshuffle of the bag and just got the 50 & 54 degree wedges to update. With MP20 MMC's was thinking about the T20 as they offer low bounce options and a similar feel to the irons. Any ones thoughts? the wedges that are being replaced are SM7.

Since I got a new Ping Hoofer bag, been eyeing some Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges to fill out my new lineup with the D7's i'm currently testing. Right now the D7's have wedges @ 43* and 48*, so think a 54* and 58* might be the ticket for sub-130yds shots...

• Like 2

Attending a demo day event next Friday for some Mizuno irons. It's a public fitting event, but they had private, 1-on-1 fittings available so I snatched up a spot.

I'm most interested in getting on the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer and seeing what it has to say. I've been disappointed in the KBS Tour 90s as of late - I'll feel like I absolutely pure a shot only to watch it balloon up and fall short of where I'd expect it to land. When I demo'ed the Sub 70 639s, they had the regular stiff KBS Tours and I didn't experience the ballooning, and in fact hit the ball about the same distance with better trajectory despite weaker lofts.

I'm definitely in the market for new irons this offseason, but at the price, the Mizunos would have to really wow me. I'm likely to take the shaft recommendations and toy with some components from Maltby/Golfworks or look for a nice used set fitting my specs.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 9:59 AM, cnosil said:

Thanks. Lots of options,

Just need to determine which way to go. I am not against a higher end shaft, just don’t want to spend the money and have it not be right. Or spend the money and find that I could do the same with something less expensive. My lean right now is the V2 since i could get the adapter and shaft in the $80-$90 range.

I am not opposed to used to save some cost, but always worry about a bad pull that damaged the tip section or don’t know reliable the person is on communicating the tipping. Been searching some of the sites that sell used since I think that is a better option than eBay or golf forums.

Have you tried the Ping Tour Shaft?  I checked into getting an X-stiff to replace my S and a local shop was able to get it in for $60 or so.  In the several times I tried the G400 out at various stores, I was never able to get a noticeable improvement with any of the other reasonably cheap options.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Giving serious consideration to pulling the trigger on a new Cleveland Frontline Elevado slant neck. I love the look.

Might have to get a couple putters from the current collection posted in the classifieds to justify the purchase.

Haven't hit one of these yet.  How does it compare to the Elevado?  It seems like I would like the alignment line on here better than the SOFT 11.  The face looks a lot different than my (wife's) Elevado.  That was more like a meat tenderizer and this seems like a flatter face.  Does this feel less soft?  

• Like 1

Have you tried the Ping Tour Shaft?  I checked into getting an X-stiff to replace my S and a local shop was able to get it in for $60 or so.  In the several times I tried the G400 out at various stores, I was never able to get a noticeable improvement with any of the other reasonably cheap options.

Thought about them because they get good reviews. I’d have to order one to try it. My local stores don’t have one with the right adapter. Most likely going to do a fitting to do a side by side comparison.

12 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

Haven't hit one of these yet.  How does it compare to the Elevado?  It seems like I would like the alignment line on here better than the SOFT 11.  The face looks a lot different than my (wife's) Elevado.  That was more like a meat tenderizer and this seems like a flatter face.  Does this feel less soft?  

I've only played nine holes (on freshly punched greens 😞) so I'm not ready for a full review. But compared to the Satin 2135 Elevado, the Frontline is considerably less soft. Indeed, on the course, I was hearing a tiny "ping" at impact (which I can't hear in my basement putting, oddly enough). It certainly isn't a hard face, but the milling isn't as deep as some previous Cleveland putters.

My first impression is that the feel/sound is very true: the impact sound correlates well to the distance/speed of the putt.

On the alignment aid: the Frontline incorporates the 2135 alignment, but instead of having it behind the topline, Cleveland has made the topline itself the height of the middle of the ball. So far for me, this has been a big positive. I have felt more confident aligning this version of the Elevado than any other putter I've played with in the past few years.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Since I got a new Ping Hoofer bag, been eyeing some Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges to fill out my new lineup with the D7's i'm currently testing. Right now the D7's have wedges @ 43* and 48*, so think a 54* and 58* might be the ticket for sub-130yds shots...

Having played 4 different D line sets, 54* and 58* always worked out great for me for non-set wedges. YMMV, of course!

• Like 1

Thought about them because they get good reviews. I’d have to order one to try it. My local stores don’t have one with the right adapter. Most likely going to do a fitting to do a side by side comparison.

I have one kicking around but it’s an R flex. Sorry Mr Gorilla. :)

I am at a point where I don’t need any equipment - I would try those sub 70’s or Mizuno hot metals but honestly I hit my G30’s fine it’s just the look of the W to my SCOR 48 that I don’t like. If I take three wood out when the ground dries up a bit more, I still have my 60 and 56 in the closet.

I’m far more comfortable with my equipment than with my swing at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Okay, my mind is in complete ponder mode. Thinking about playing with some putters to try and figure out proper headweight and total weight for me.

Start out with adjustable weight putter with something like a 340gr head and work my way up to the 365/370 range. Also use some counterbalance weights to see how that impacts stroke based on where I put the weights. Hunting for a good candidate putter.

• Like 4

Okay, my mind is in complete ponder mode. Thinking about playing with some putters to try and figure out proper headweight and total weight for me.

Start out with adjustable weight putter with something like a 340gr head and work my way up to the 365/370 range. Also use some counterbalance weights to see how that impacts stroke based on where I put the weights. Hunting for a good candidate putter.

Good luck my friend. Let us know how it goes.
I vary from 340 to 360 blade to mallet. I never stay with one putter for very long.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2