jlukes

What equipment are you thinking about?

Our Sponsors

I can't stop thinking about the Sim Max hybrid. Absurdly easy to launch, crazy long and sounded great. 

• Like 1

Have to wait until the golf stores around open back up, but I have my eyes on True Temper AMT Black shafts for my irons.  Of course that's if they work out for me in a fitting.  But I'm really hoping they do.  

What am I Thinking about?  So much equipment that I do not need.   

Inside my head:

...a mallet putter would be cool to try if i find a good deal.  Maybe i'll have more confidence with the bigger design and be able to line up better

...a driving iron would be nice (let's watch reviews of all of them on youtube)  The GAPR LO and Srixon U85 look intriguing.  (Checks eBay for current deals)

....the G410 LST is getting a lot of love....maybe I can find a head only for a good price and keep my same shaft.  (Checks eBay, Global Golf, and 2ndSwing)

.....I liked the Srixon Z785's, maybe if I can find a great deal they could be a back up set......

Keep in mind, I've got no issues with current equipment and went to club champion last year which confirmed most of my equipment is performing as well as just about anything that was out last year.

Maybe a couple new polos or quarter zips.  Don't really need them, but let's look anyways.......(Again have already purchased 4-5 polos for this year that I haven't even worn yet)

• Like 3

Also, I'm almost too late to the bandwagon, but a Taylormade GAPR Mid 3.  To me they look like a potential substitute for a driving iron.  I never have seen many people say much about them.  I get that they are a hybrid, but the Mid and Lo sure do resemble driving irons.

28 minutes ago, AmishJason said:

Also, I'm almost too late to the bandwagon, but a Taylormade GAPR Mid 3.  To me they look like a potential substitute for a driving iron.  I never have seen many people say much about them.  I get that they are a hybrid, but the Mid and Lo sure do resemble driving irons.

... The GAPR Mid is really a combination of a hybrid and a DI. Very similar to the Cobra King Utility although noticeable longer heel to toe so more forgiving. My pard had a GAPR Mid and I hit it a few times comparing to my 18* UDi 2 iron. I was pretty impressed with it's performance. It launched a little higher off the tee but a little shorter than my UDi, and higher from the fairway but a little longer, so a bit of a trade off. I picked up a GAPR Mid with a bid I never thought would win on Ebay and I have to figure out which one works best for me. Although I may also keep both and use one or the other in different wind conditions and on different courses. Like you, I think the GAPR Lo is purely a DI for all those without insanely high club head speed. 

• Like 3

When I get back work.... definitely the Mizuno MP18/20 MMC or the MP 18 SC irons. It may well be the MP18 MMC because of the Nippon Modus shafts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... The GAPR Mid is really a combination of a hybrid and a DI. Very similar to the Cobra King Utility although noticeable longer heel to toe so more forgiving. My pard had a GAPR Mid and I hit it a few times comparing to my 18* UDi 2 iron. I was pretty impressed with it's performance. It launched a little higher off the tee but a little shorter than my UDi, and higher from the fairway but a little longer, so a bit of a trade off. I picked up a GAPR Mid with a bid I never thought would win on Ebay and I have to figure out which one works best for me. Although I may also keep both and use one or the other in different wind conditions and on different courses. Like you, I think the GAPR Lo is purely a DI for all those without insanely high club head speed. 

I can definitely mark myself as safe from having insanely high club head speed.  But the few things I've read on the Lo suggest having really good ball striking ability is a must and that has made me feel that my average ball striking should probably stay away that model.  

• Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, dlow206 said:

I am thinking about some cavity back wedges, specifically the Cleveland CBX 2. Currently have Vokey's which work well for me in the short game, but I always find a way to hit thin full shots.

The CBX are forgiving, but if you’re hitting a club thin, you’re probably going to do the same with anything else.

Been thinking seriously about some new Mizuno wedges. I get home last night and a new oven has arrived to replace our dead one. I think the protective film is telling me the T20 in Blue Ion finish is what I need.

IMG_0844.thumb.JPG.c875c8d4498876a096ad77bf1a86a0e2.JPG

Probably should get it installed before getting new wedges, but there's some good prices about.

• Like 8

Upgrade to my irons.  started off on Taylor Made and looking to return

I’m trying to figure out the fairway wood. When I can play my 13* Exotics EX-9 at standard loft, it’s a machine, but I’ve increased the loft up to 15*, and now hit hooks. That face is just too closed. So, I’ve put the Exotics EX-9 Tour 17* head on my shaft, and turned it down two degrees. This should be the answer, so we’ll see. If not, they’re going on eBay and I’ll be buying a 15* fairway wood!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

With the T200 test coming (hopefully not too much of a delay), I keep thinking I may need a Vokey wedge or 2 to round them off. Will obviously depend on the fitting as to which lofts I will need but with a 43* PW and possibly a 48* GW one will be needed for sure. 56* M grind really has my attention but haven’t played vokey since before the rule change. SM6, SM7, or SM8 is the question

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Posted (edited)

I need a new set-up. This isn't the usual golfer "I need new clubs every year" desire. I haven't played in years and all of my clubs are at least 8-14 years old, except for my recently purchased Cleveland HB putter. I don't remember drivers routinely costing $500 or irons in the mid to high 1k range. The prices are jarring. I am very interested in the Ben Hogan line but I feel hesitant. Hoping to see if there's any love out there for these and other more reasonably priced clubs.

Edited by OsoBear
Typo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, OsoBear said:

I need a new set-up. This is the usual golfer "I need new clubs every year" desire. I haven't played in years and all of my clubs are at least 8-14 years old, except for my recently purchased Cleveland HB putter. I don't remember drivers routinely costing $500 or irons in the mid to high 1k range. The prices are jarring. I am very interested in the Ben Hogan line but I feel hesitant. Hoping to see if there's any love out there for these and other more reasonably priced clubs.

... Drivers have been around $500 for quite awhile now, especially premium drivers from the top selling OEM's. But I hear ya on the iron sticker shock. It wasn't that long ago that I thought $999 was magical number that no OEM would cross. We used to buy brand new forged irons for $699, play them a season and if we took good care of them, sell em for $550. Now buying irons for $1399 we are lucky to sell them for $799 after just one season. To literally quote The Wild Bunch ""We've got to start thinking beyond our guns Ho'ing. Those days are closing fast."   so you have to be pretty dammed sure when buying top of the line new irons. 

... I take reviewing clubs very seriously and was just selected to review the Titleist T100-S irons and will do everything I can to make sure forum members have a plethora of information and opinions so they can make an informed decision they won't regret. That said, there has never been a better time to buy used. 🤪

• Like 6

I don't buy new equipment very often.  I find what I like and usually stick with it for a number of years with the exception of wedges.  I am probably going to buy new irons this year if we ever get back to our normal lives.  Whatever "normal" turns out to be after all this is over.  The head pro at my home club has always been an excellent resource before making a purchase.  He has never steered me in the wrong direction.  We were discussing it Saturday and I told him I was seriously considering the T200's or T100-S irons.  He replied "don't you dare buy anything until you have hit the P790's!!!!!"

That says a lot coming from the head professional of a shop that does not have an affiliation with Taylormade!

• Like 2

I was bidding on a LAB Golf DF putter on ebay, but lost. Was a good deal, but wasn't my exact spec and I don't really need a putter, so sort of glad that I didn't win.

I am also thinking about my Cleveland CBX 2 54 and Cleveland CBX Full Face 58 wedges that are on custom order and won't be fulfilled until the OEMs are back to normal.

• Like 1

In the market for a heel/toe putter. I really like the Mizuno M Craft II. i would like to get my hands on a TP Mills Soft Tail.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:41 AM, PMookie said:

I’m trying to figure out the fairway wood. When I can play my 13* Exotics EX-9 at standard loft, it’s a machine, but I’ve increased the loft up to 15*, and now hit hooks. That face is just too closed. So, I’ve put the Exotics EX-9 Tour 17* head on my shaft, and turned it down two degrees. This should be the answer, so we’ll see. If not, they’re going on eBay and I’ll be buying a 15* fairway wood!!!

I like the concept of higher lofted head with longer shaft. I was fit to a g400 5w with 3w shaft and the head set to 1* less loft. I was too happy with the 917 fw to change but when I ordered my m5 I went 5w with Kong’s shaft and kept the loft the same. Added a sim 3w as well so I will have some testing and options for bag setup to play with

• Like 1

I like the concept of higher lofted head with longer shaft. I was fit to a g400 5w with 3w shaft and the head set to 1* less loft. I was too happy with the 917 fw to change but when I ordered my m5 I went 5w with Kong’s shaft and kept the loft the same. Added a sim 3w as well so I will have some testing and options for bag setup to play with

I was all-set to find a 3w at a big demo-day, but Covid hit and it was canceled, leaving me with no idea as to which 3w out there would work best. Seriously considering the Ping G410 since it can go flat. Cally has a couple Epic Flash and EF SZ on deep discount right now, but I never hit them. I’ve bought blindly before and it didn’t work out. Ugh. If the TS3 I was fitted to wasn’t $300 with a discount, I’d have bought it by now.

• Like 2

NEED. A. P.L.M. (personal launch monitor)

Really leaning towards the PRGR ... just something I can use when practicing that will give me basic info and 200 bucks is a decent price. I'm not spending 500 on a Mevo. Fuggedaboutit!!

• Like 3