What equipment are you thinking about?

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

Have you tried hitting anything more on the player's side? I know this topic has opinions all over the place. In my "opinion", I think that if a mid to higher hcp wants to aspire to playing more compact clubs, they should give them a try at least.

What I found when my hcp was in the teens, was that my game didn't suffer by going to more player style irons (Maltby DBM). I was actually pretty surprised that I could hit them so well contrary to what I'd been led to believe.

I think that if you find your game isn't negatively altered by playing CBs or blades, and your willing to make the "all in" commitment to improve your game with them, then go for it! Additionally, if your fully committed, which I know YOU are :), you'll get feedback from smaller clubs that you won't get from SGI's. You'll learn even more about your swing and what needs improvement. I also found that as my level of skill requirement increased, so did my focus, and commitment to the game.

In the past 2 yrs I've gone from mid teens to 6.3 by following this path. Currently I play slightly larger player irons but will be moving back to a smaller profile this week and know I won't skip a beat by switching.

... This is and always has been one of my pet peeves. I appreciate you prefacing with your opinion, which of course is perfectly valid for you. Golf equipment are simply tools to help you play your best. Irons especially are designed to offer a combination of complimenting what you do well or compensating for what you do poorly. There are players on all tours using SGI irons where playing their best is the way they make their living, so ego or loving a look are irrelevant to them. And as far as a smaller club head increasing your focus, that is just someone that is lazy mentally. I do not mean that as a negative comment, just a reality of all sports. If you want to practice making putts with a device the makes the hole smaller by covering it with a smaller hole in the middle you are basically just tricking yourself to do the exact same thing with a defined smaller target. However, the target remains the same. To be a good putter, you need to execute the putt with a target that is never the entire hole. You focus on the middle, the left side or the right side so there was always a smaller target. The mentally lazy just kinda putts at the entire hole. 

... SGI irons usually have more weight low and more weight in the heel/toe to compensate for not hitting the center consistently, not producing enough spin for an ideal trajectory and helping the head to twist less when hit on the heel or toe with a closed or open face. Those exact same strikes with a Player Iron or worse and MB will have predictably worse results. But hitting the center of a MB is no different than hitting the center of an SGI because both will produce excellent results. If you need a smaller head to improve your focus that is just a lack of discipline because you can have the exact same focus with a SGI. Lack of focus is something everyone does so again not a negative comment, but you can focus with the exact same discipline or concentration using a hybrid iron or a MB. Doing reviews from hitting clubs at the PGA Show Demo day, I have never had more or less focus hitting all the different clubs. My focus is the same if I am hitting the Titleist T100, T200 or T300 because I am trying too hit the center of all of them. 

... All that said we are just golfers enjoying a sport and any away you choose to do that is of course perfectly valid. If you are a 18 handicaps but want to play Players CB's or MB's because that increases your enjoyment (maybe not your score) then obviously you should do that. I have no problem at all with dlow wanting to improve so he can play different irons or you improving your game/focus by moving to a smaller head. So I hope it doesn't sound like I am attacking your point of view as to what works for you, I am just going off years of teaching and getting paired up with thousands of golfers when I play. The truth is the best way to get better is using the equipment that fits your style off play and practicing, learning, improving and playing under the pressure of posting lower scores using those tools. I do find it kinda funny that most have no problem playing the most forgiving 460cc driver they can effectively play but some feel a stigma using the most forgiving irons they can play. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny story, I was at GG last weekend waiting to hit the the Demo T400 they had just gotten in.  The sales rep goes to the guy in line before me and asks what can he help him with.    Customer: "

Picked up a set of these today (4-10) with the Vizard Graphite shaft.  At 85gr,  the shafts may be a little light,  but I wanted to give graphite a try.  Gotta figure out gapping for the bag;  even th

... Do you have a storefront where we can wear a mask and see aaaaaallllllll the clubs you have for sale?

Posted Images

... This is and always has been one of my pet peeves. I appreciate you prefacing with your opinion, which of course is perfectly valid for you. Golf equipment are simply tools to help you play your best. Irons especially are designed to offer a combination of complimenting what you do well or compensating for what you do poorly. There are players on all tours using SGI irons where playing their best is the way they make their living, so ego or loving a look are irrelevant to them. And as far as a smaller club head increasing your focus, that is just someone that is lazy mentally. I do not mean that as a negative comment, just a reality of all sports. If you want to practice making putts with a device the makes the hole smaller by covering it with a smaller hole in the middle you are basically just tricking yourself to do the exact same thing with a defined smaller target. However, the target remains the same. To be a good putter, you need to execute the putt with a target that is never the entire hole. You focus on the middle, the left side or the right side so there was always a smaller target. The mentally lazy just kinda putts at the entire hole. 

... SGI irons usually have more weight low and more weight in the heel/toe to compensate for not hitting the center consistently, not producing enough spin for an ideal trajectory and helping the head to twist less when hit on the heel or toe with a closed or open face. Those exact same strikes with a Player Iron or worse and MB will have predictably worse results. But hitting the center of a MB is no different than hitting the center of an SGI because both will produce excellent results. If you need a smaller head to improve your focus that is just a lack of discipline because you can have the exact same focus with a SGI. Lack of focus is something everyone does so again not a negative comment, but you can focus with the exact same discipline or concentration using a hybrid iron or a MB. Doing reviews from hitting clubs at the PGA Show Demo day, I have never had more or less focus hitting all the different clubs. My focus is the same if I am hitting the Titleist T100, T200 or T300 because I am trying too hit the center of all of them. 

... All that said we are just golfers enjoying a sport and any away you choose to do that is of course perfectly valid. If you are a 18 handicaps but want to play Players CB's or MB's because that increases your enjoyment (maybe not your score) then obviously you should do that. I have no problem at all with dlow wanting to improve so he can play different irons or you improving your game/focus by moving to a smaller head. So I hope it doesn't sound like I am attacking your point of view as to what works for you, I am just going off years of teaching and getting paired up with thousands of golfers when I play. The truth is the best way to get better is using the equipment that fits your style off play and practicing, learning, improving and playing under the pressure of posting lower scores using those tools. I do find it kinda funny that most have no problem playing the most forgiving 460cc driver they can effectively play but some feel a stigma using the most forgiving irons they can play. 
Zoiks.. I was just trying to be encouraging and share a success story.

In a world where we're told "you should never do that" and "this is wrong because...." It might be ok to do things differently because the outcome might surprise you.

My apologies if my post came across as "my way is the only way" because that is definitely the opposite of what was intended.

That's all..

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 8.25°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:titelist-small:  917F2 3 Wood / Project X Evenflow Blue 75g 
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0

54 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Zoiks.. I was just trying to be encouraging and share a success story.

In a world where we're told "you should never do that" and "this is wrong because...." It might be ok to do things differently because the outcome might surprise you.

My apologies if my post came across as "my way is the only way" because that is definitely the opposite of what was intended.

... No apologies necessary azstu. Probably one of the things about writing and not seeing facial expressions or tone as I did not think you were promoting "my way is the only way"  at all. I think opinions are always welcome on a golf forum and you can't do any better than using your own personal experience which is exactly what you did. I have heard it enough thru the years to know there are a select few that actually play better, focus more and have a positive experience moving to more demanding clubs. Clearly you are one of them so 👍!  I had a student that insisted on playing MB's and whenever I tried to put him in more forgiving CB's his swing changed and he hit them worse. At first I thought he was sabotaging CB's but after a few lessons I realized he just had a mental black and was going to produce his best swings with MB's and his bad shots were still better than his bad shots with CB's. There are no constants in golf, just rules of thumb that apply to most and there are alway exceptions. 

... But I have also run across way too many golfers playing clubs their level of expertise do not spport. A lot of "my friend/brother/dad  told me I would do better with a club that will help me focus and start hitting the center more often" kinda comments. For the vast majority of people that play this game with swing flaws, and we all have them to some degree, if you can't hit the center of the club face with a T300 you are not going to start hitting the center with a T100 and your misses will be worse. But as you said "It might be ok to do things differently because the outcome might surprise you.' o experimenting and finding out what works best is never a bad idea. Sorry if my response came across as needing a Zoiks in response as that was not my intention either.  🤪

• Like 7

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

When this CV thing is "behind us" and I get back to work. I'm seriously looking at the Mizuno JPX 921 forged. I was looking at the Mizuno SC18 MMC's.... and then the Mizuno MP 20 MMC's. I think the 921 forged is what I'm looking for in an iron. I will need to hit them, of course.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, silver & black said:

When this CV thing is "behind us" and I get back to work. I'm seriously looking at the Mizuno JPX 921 forged. I was looking at the Mizuno SC18 MMC's.... and then the Mizuno MP 20 MMC's. I think the 921 forged is what I'm looking for in an iron. I will need to hit them, of course.

Normally I would be in the same position, but it seems like TM released the irons I wanted Mizuno to. I definitely want to test both though!

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50 Mid | 54 Full S-grind | 58 Low Relief Grind Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Have you tried hitting anything more on the player's side? I know this topic has opinions all over the place. In my "opinion", I think that if a mid to higher hcp wants to aspire to playing more compact clubs, they should give them a try at least.

What I found when my hcp was in the teens, was that my game didn't suffer by going to more player style irons (Maltby DBM). I was actually pretty surprised that I could hit them so well contrary to what I'd been led to believe.

I think that if you find your game isn't negatively altered by playing CBs or blades, and your willing to make the "all in" commitment to improve your game with them, then go for it! Additionally, if your fully committed, which I know YOU are :), you'll get feedback from smaller clubs that you won't get from SGI's. You'll learn even more about your swing and what needs improvement. I also found that as my level of skill requirement increased, so did my focus, and commitment to the game.

In the past 2 yrs I've gone from mid teens to 6.3 by following this path. Currently I play slightly larger player irons but will be moving back to a smaller profile this week and know I won't skip a beat by switching.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

I previously owned JPX 919 Hot Metals, which still is in the GI category, but definitely more compact than my Mavrik Max irons. I ditched the Hot Metals pretty quickly because the shafts were just not a good fit (i had a poor fitting that was done before i knew much about clubs & fitting). 

The point makes sense about at least giving player's clubs a shot (in the future, not planning to spend more money now on irons). When things clear up from Covid, I'm planning to go to TXG and get a real fitting and will go with an open mind.

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Next season will be the year of the 3 wood. I haven’t had any success with mine and for the love, I cannot find any confidence with it. Since I’m sidelined for the foreseeable future and my equipment budget has been tapped for this season I can wait a year to see. 

• Like 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

14 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Next season will be the year of the 3 wood. I haven’t had any success with mine and for the love, I cannot find any confidence with it. Since I’m sidelined for the foreseeable future and my equipment budget has been tapped for this season I can wait a year to see. 

Have you thought about a 4 wood?

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... This is and always has been one of my pet peeves. I appreciate you prefacing with your opinion, which of course is perfectly valid for you. Golf equipment are simply tools to help you play your best. Irons especially are designed to offer a combination of complimenting what you do well or compensating for what you do poorly.

Spoiler

There are players on all tours using SGI irons where playing their best is the way they make their living, so ego or loving a look are irrelevant to them.    Colin Montgomerie used Callaway XF SGI irons for years.

And as far as a smaller club head increasing your focus, that is just someone that is lazy mentally. I do not mean that as a negative comment, just a reality of all sports. If you want to practice making putts with a device the makes the hole smaller by covering it with a smaller hole in the middle you are basically just tricking yourself to do the exact same thing with a defined smaller target. However, the target remains the same. To be a good putter, you need to execute the putt with a target that is never the entire hole. You focus on the middle, the left side or the right side so there was always a smaller target. The mentally lazy just kinda putts at the entire hole. 

I was surprised when I saw Colin Montgomerie was gaming the same Callaway XF SGI irons I bagged for a few years.  He now has different irons however he used the XF for quite some time. 

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

The point makes sense about at least giving player's clubs a shot (in the future, not planning to spend more money now on irons). When things clear up from Covid, I'm planning to go to TXG and get a real fitting and will go with an open mind.

I recently got fitted for P790's.  Had hit them first at a demo day at my golf club and found them easy to get the ball in the air.  Had a fitting this summer and was won over on how easy they were to find the sweet spot with the right shaft.  These irons are much easier to draw than my previous set.

I live only 10 minutes from TXG's Toronto location and have done fittings with Alex, John and Cam.  All three are very knowledgable and do a great job.  You will not be disappointed.

• Like 2

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

5 minutes ago, ED13 said:

I recently got fitted for P790's.  Had hit them first at a demo day at my golf club and found them easy to get the ball in the air.  Had a fitting this summer and was won over on how easy they were to find the sweet spot with the right shaft.  These irons are much easier to draw than my previous set.

I live only 10 minutes from TXG's Toronto location and have done fittings with Alex, John and Cam.  All three are very knowledgable and do a great job.  You will not be disappointed.

Nice. Any recommendations between the three fitters? I had wanted to get fit by Ian, but looks like that won't happen unless he opens his schedule back up again. 

Updated 10/6/2020

33 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Have you thought about a 4 wood?

I haven’t to be honest.  I’m trying to gap between a driver 280-300 and a 19* 3 iron that I hit approx 220-230. It’s a large gap to fill and you may be onto something...

• Like 1
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

Just now, bens197 said:

I haven’t to be honest.  I’m trying to gap between a driver 280-300 and a 19* 3 iron that I hit approx 220-230. It’s a large gap to fill and you may be onto something...

Try one out at the store or during a fitting. I personally like my 4 wood, but also there was a good TXG video on 3 wood vs. a more lofted fairway wood. I don't remember if it had 4 wood, but it had 5 wood, and it suggested most people would be better off with something more lofted than a 3 wood.

• Like 1

Updated 10/6/2020

10 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Nice. Any recommendations between the three fitters? I had wanted to get fit by Ian, but looks like that won't happen unless he opens his schedule back up again. 

Had a conversation with Ian last winter about him doing less fittings to give him more time to run and grow his business.  Due to the videos everyone wants him for their fitting, a bit of a double edged sword.  People don’t realize the quality and depth of knowledge of the fitters he has assembled.

As far as fittings all 3 will get you into the right equipment.  I have had more than one fitting with each and have watched all of three as well as Ian do fittings many times while I was at TXG for winter practice.  Difference is more their personalities.

Cam is more of a talker, jokes around and may tell stories.  He has the ability to make a person feel comfortable quickly.  Easy to have a fun time during the fitting.  Also, if someone is shy and needs someone to pull them out of their shell to get the best result Cam is the guy for them.  

John comes across right away as a very friendly person who is enthusiastic about helping his clients.  Explains well as he goes.  If someone tends to be nervous or may have anxiety at the fitting John may be a good choice to put them at ease.  Also, John has an unbelievable wealth of knowledge in the putting stroke.  Anyone having a fitting for other clubs may want to add this on as well.

Alex is more quite than the others but still very easy to talk to.  He seems to talk and ask questions with a purpose.  Comes across as methodical with how he goes about the fitting.  Someone who likes to get down to the brass tacks would enjoy a fitting with Alex.

I hope this summary of the TXG fitters helps.  I have enjoyed the fittings with all three and would not hesitate to use any of them again.

• Like 3

I haven't bought anything all season and the pull of new and shiny is strong right now. 5 hybrid? Maybe some inexpensive steel shafted irons to see if my elbow will be OK? 

All I know is, I need to stay away from eBay and CPO right now...

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

3 hours ago, ED13 said:

Had a conversation with Ian last winter about him doing less fittings to give him more time to run and grow his business.  Due to the videos everyone wants him for their fitting, a bit of a double edged sword.  People don’t realize the quality and depth of knowledge of the fitters he has assembled.

As far as fittings all 3 will get you into the right equipment.  I have had more than one fitting with each and have watched all of three as well as Ian do fittings many times while I was at TXG for winter practice.  Difference is more their personalities.

Cam is more of a talker, jokes around and may tell stories.  He has the ability to make a person feel comfortable quickly.  Easy to have a fun time during the fitting.  Also, if someone is shy and needs someone to pull them out of their shell to get the best result Cam is the guy for them.  

John comes across right away as a very friendly person who is enthusiastic about helping his clients.  Explains well as he goes.  If someone tends to be nervous or may have anxiety at the fitting John may be a good choice to put them at ease.  Also, John has an unbelievable wealth of knowledge in the putting stroke.  Anyone having a fitting for other clubs may want to add this on as well.

Alex is more quite than the others but still very easy to talk to.  He seems to talk and ask questions with a purpose.  Comes across as methodical with how he goes about the fitting.  Someone who likes to get down to the brass tacks would enjoy a fitting with Alex.

I hope this summary of the TXG fitters helps.  I have enjoyed the fittings with all three and would not hesitate to use any of them again.

This is awesome, thank you. I'm guessing there are very few people out there that have worked with all 3 of the fitters at TXG.

Any of the 3 that you would recommend for having a "nerdy" conversation about shafts, clubheads, etc. during the fitting?

Updated 10/6/2020

15 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Try one out at the store or during a fitting. I personally like my 4 wood, but also there was a good TXG video on 3 wood vs. a more lofted fairway wood. I don't remember if it had 4 wood, but it had 5 wood, and it suggested most people would be better off with something more lofted than a 3 wood.

I will for sure.  As long as I can fill my gap space between those yardages that's all that matters.

• Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

This is awesome, thank you. I'm guessing there are very few people out there that have worked with all 3 of the fitters at TXG.

Any of the 3 that you would recommend for having a "nerdy" conversation about shafts, clubheads, etc. during the fitting?

You will be surprised how much each of them know about the equipment.  Just ask and I am sure they can supply a lot of information.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I haven't bought anything all season and the pull of new and shiny is strong right now. 5 hybrid? Maybe some inexpensive steel shafted irons to see if my elbow will be OK? 

All I know is, I need to stay away from eBay and CPO right now...

OK of course as soon as I typed this I went to check out eBay... the secondary market is still very strong so I'll wait until the offseason to make any purchases 🤣

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

On 8/17/2020 at 8:04 AM, ED13 said:

Sounds like Ian needs to put his other fitters in front of the camera to help build their brands and increase their demand.  But it's a nice problem to have.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino