What equipment are you thinking about?

Our Sponsors

... Swing speed has very little to do with it. A good athlete certainly does. The kind of help I am talking about is not distance but contact. If you are making poor contact moving to a more demanding iron will not help, it will hurt. If your swing coach moved you into a T100 iron I am sure he sees good enough contact to make the move. I wish you good luck with them as the T100-S are my current favorites. 

... Fwiw, I played with a PGA Pro that works at Desert Mountain in Phoenix and he shot a 65 at Aguila from the tips (7007yds) playing G400 irons while his fellow Pro shot an 85 using MB's. To be fair it was their day off and his fellow Pro had quite a few beers so that factors into it. But I asked him why he isn't playing at least some kind of Players Irons and he shrugged and said "If they are gonna make very forgiving irons and I don't get to play as much as I would like because I am always teaching, why would I switch?"  To which his playing pard said "And if I had any brains I would be playing G400's too"

• Like 7

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny story, I was at GG last weekend waiting to hit the the Demo T400 they had just gotten in.  The sales rep goes to the guy in line before me and asks what can he help him with.    Customer: "

... I am pretty sure this applies to 99.9% of our posts here. 🤪

Thinking about switching putters. Finished up most wanted blade Putter testing last week and started mallet putters yesterday. My results from yesterday compared to my results from blade putters see

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Swing speed has very little to do with it. A good athlete certainly does. The kind of help I am talking about is not distance but contact. If you are making poor contact moving to a more demanding iron will not help, it will hurt. If your swing coach moved you into a T100 iron I am sure he sees good enough contact to make the move. I wish you good luck with them as the T100-S are my current favorites. 

... Fwiw, I played with a PGA Pro that works at Desert Mountain in Phoenix and he shot a 65 at Aguila from the tips (7007yds) playing G400 irons while his fellow Pro shot an 85 using MB's. To be fair it was their day off and his fellow Pro had quite a few beers so that factors into it. But I asked him why he isn't playing at least some kind of Players Irons and he shrugged and said "If they are gonna make very forgiving irons and I don't get to play as much as I would like because I am always teaching, why would I switch?"  To which his playing pard said "And if I had any brains I would be playing G400's too"

i followed your thread about the T100S irons closely and your success with them has me very excited to get mine out on the course. 

the ways to play this game are endless. the PGA pro shooting a 65 with GI irons is a great example. id bet the farm he didn’t become a plus handicap by hitting GI irons his whole career. but now that he can’t devote the same time to his game, he’s finding enjoyment in the added forgiveness from the G400s. 

as someone just starting out and getting better quickly, i’m more inclined to accept the challenge of harder clubs. who knows? maybe 2 years from now i still won’t be breaking 90 and i’ll be selling the T100 set for some GI irons. only way to find out is to try them. 

• Like 1

When @xOldBenKenobiX and I played a little while ago, he commented that I was a good ball striker. First of all thank you again Elson for your generous comment but ever since that I have been obsessed with trying out Tigers P7TW irons... Unfortunately...

The Gamertologist: Fourth quarter 2014: A wallet bashing ...

• Like 3

Driver - Titleist 983K 9.5* - Titleist 4560 S-Flex Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 Adams Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - Titleist 690MB True Temper Reg Flex

4-9 Irons - Taylormade R7TP True Temper X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - PING Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - Titleist Tour Soft

1 minute ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

When @xOldBenKenobiX and I played a little while ago, he commented that I was a good ball striker. First of all thank you again Elson for your generous comment but ever since that I have been obsessed with trying out Tigers P7TW irons... Unfortunately...

The Gamertologist: Fourth quarter 2014: A wallet bashing ...

You are a great ball striker for sure Matt, but those P7TW irons are a lot of money, I enter all of the surveys that I can to see if I can win me a set.

• Like 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Woods and Putter set unofficial review.

Instagram tagging contest Crew

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

... That PGA Pro would certainly be an exception. He hit the ball nice and high without ballooning. His consistent trajectory was awe inspiring and he never worked the ball with one exception when he was blocked by a tree.  You are under the watchful eye of a swing coach and I doubt he would move you into something like T100's if he did not think it was best for your game.

... You may or not be shocked by how poorly golfers strike the ball for a myriad of reasons but almost always a swing flaw or multiple swing flaws. Golf is also one of the very few games someone with little to no athletic ability can play with some success. I played Travel Team tennis for several years before finding golf. If you are not athletic enough to get to the ball or get it over the net and in play, it is silly to play the game and of course you would be unable to play with someone else. After getting really good at the game, I had a hard time finding playing partners. The great thing about golf is a + index can play with a 20 index and have a great time. Even though the 20 index might miss almost every fairway, take 4 or 5 shots to get to the green and 3 putt once they are there. As long as they keep pace, they can enjoy playing golf with anyone or all b by themselves.

... But I have to admit I marvel at the fortitude of those with little natural ability that play golf that rarely if ever hit a solid shot and they have my admiration. I played with a guy in bib overalls in Phoenix several years ago and he never hit a real golf shot. On 18 I hit my DI off the tee about 225 leaving me 185 uphill to a front pin tucked just over a lake. WTF I was on vacation and sitting on even par so I went right at it needing a very solid 5 iron. On of my best shots of the day, landing 3 feet from the pin leaving me with a birdie and a 71. He hit driver off the tee about 175, took 2 more shots to get past my drive and after my 5 iron he said with a heavy southern drawl "I aint never gonna hit a shot like that and really enjoyed being up close to see all yer shots today. But dayum I love playin this here game and I'm gonna get better and have a ton of fun doing it". Gotta love this game. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

going to really try to commit to an armlock putter over the winter.

my stroke has been very wrist-y and I miss long, short, left, right... 🤣

forget the Scotty or Evnroll... I'm going to try something radical.

I'd love it if you did something here to show us (me in particular, LOL) how this goes.

Putting is by far the best part of my game, it makes up for a lot of my sins. I've always liked to play a 33.5" blade. I gamed a custom built a YES! Tracy for years (will never get rid of it) until just recently, when I experimented with a Stroke Lab Double Wide, an Evnroll HB and now a Cameron Select Newport 2.0. No reason, other than I'm looking to put together a second bag to keep up on Long Island because I don't want to sell my Rogue X irons and hybrids... I'll keep them up there in NY.

I've never experimented with grips like the claw or in my (lefty) case right hand low. I prefer a pistol grip, but I've tried a Matador or Super Stroke 1.0 and liked both. The Flat Cat, or SS 3.0's aren't for me. neither are mallet style heads, it seems.

The armlock intrigues me though. Everything about that method makes sense to me. Good luck!!!

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 2

Driver     :ping-small: G400 Max 9* Alta 

Fairway  :titelist-small: TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage

Hybrids  :titelist-small:  TS2 19* & 21* Kuro Kage R

Irons       PXG    2021 0211 5-GW MMT70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5 stand or :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+

:yes-small: Tracy 33.5" 

Superstroke wrist-lock grip is where its at. You just need a putter that you can choke down a few inches on, and potentially bend the lie angle a few degrees more upright. Then you can put with wristlocked, and you dont have to be a special armlock putter. Lucky for me, im so short and low to the ground that i can wristlock a 33" putter lol. A 35" putter would literally be an armlock putter for me.

On the putter note, i am thinking about the Betti new release announcement tomorrow. But i definitely don't need more putters.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

21 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I'd love it if you did something here to show us (me in particular, LOL) how this goes.

Putting is by far the best part of my game, it makes up for a lot of my sins. I've always liked a shorter 33.5" blade. I used completely custom built a YES! Tracy for years (will never get rid of it) until this year when I experimented with a Stroke Lab Double Wide, and now a Cameron Select Newport 2.0. No reason, other than I'm looking to put together a second bag to keep up on Long Island.

I've never experimented with grips like the claw or in my (lefty) case right hand low. I prefer a pistol grip, but hve tried a Matador or Super Stroke 1.0 and liked both. The Flat Cat, or SS3.0's aren't for me.

The armlock putters intrigue me though. Everything about doing it that way makes sense to me. Give it a good, hard look. I might also. Good luck!!!

... Just keep in mind, most of the modern alternate grips are there because players had some form of the yips or could not control their hands and flip through impact. If you have a sound stroke with a conventional grip whether rear or front hand low you won't find more success with any of the new grips like arm lock, claw or fingers not hands on the shaft. On the other hand if you are struggling with putting, trying something new is always a good idea. 

• Like 5

Just now, chisag said:

... Just keep in mind, most of the modern alternate grips are there because players had some form of the yips or could not control their hands and flip through impact. If you have a sound stroke with a conventional grip whether rear or front hand low you won't find more success with any of the new grips like arm lock, claw or fingers not hands on the shaft. On the other hand if you are struggling with putting, trying something new is always a good idea. 

Agreed. Probably the biggest change I've ever made as far as putting goes was late this summer when I tried the Evnroll HB. I'd never really given a mallet a fair shake, just rolled them on a store, or practice green. The MOI thing intrigued me, so I used a good portion of a PGASS gift card balance on one. I knew right away (3 rounds) it just wasn't for me. the Yes! went back in the bag, and I used the playability guarantee to flip the Evnroll into the Scotty Newport 2.0.

BTW I'm loving the Cameron… wasn't a fan of his recent inserts, but this milled face has really felt very nice. I trusted them to get the right weighting at my preferred 33.5" and I'm glad I did (they went heavy). Granted, these are early days, but it looks like the YES! Tracy might be going into semi-retirement up on Long Island. The old broad has been a work horse. She's earned a nice rest.

• Like 3

Driver     :ping-small: G400 Max 9* Alta 

Fairway  :titelist-small: TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage

Hybrids  :titelist-small:  TS2 19* & 21* Kuro Kage R

Irons       PXG    2021 0211 5-GW MMT70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5 stand or :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+

:yes-small: Tracy 33.5" 

First off, I apologize, I am a bit all over the place with ideas, for me its the ADHD.

Need some input from you guys. This is regarding the Masters limited edition Aerotech Steelfibers that I won. I don't get to have any input on which Steelfiber shafts I will receive, they are i95 stiff parallel tip shafts. So if you were me, would you:

1. Put them in whichever irons, either current set or some new heads i pick up and play them
  2. Go for a fitting in which i find out what heads work best for me with the Steelfiber i95
  3. Go for a fitting test any of the iron/shaft combos that the fitter recommends, find out what my best combo is. If it is not with a Steelfiber i95 S, then sell the i95s and use the proceeds to purchase the set recommended from the fitting
  • Like 2

Updated 12/27/2020

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

3. Go for a fitting test any of the iron/shaft combos that the fitter recommends, find out what my best combo is. If it is not with a Steelfiber i95 S, then sell the i95s and use the proceeds to purchase the set recommended from the fitting

... As a 21.5 index, you need the best fitting combo you can play. Of course this is true for everyone regardless of index but high index players may not know their swing well enough and might be using equipment ill fit for their games. I made the mistake of installing some Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts in my irons and they were just too stout for my swing. Several years later after talking to Aerotech I installed a set of i95 regular flex and the results are excellent. As a shaft ho I didn't mind all that much but I would have saved money along with some time and the aggravation of shafting, removing shafts, boxing and selling them had I been fit to begin with.  

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

First off, I apologize, I am a bit all over the place with ideas, for me its the ADHD.

Need some input from you guys. This is regarding the Masters limited edition Aerotech Steelfibers that I won. I don't get to have any input on which Steelfiber shafts I will receive, they are i95 stiff parallel tip shafts. So if you were me, would you:

1. Put them in whichever irons, either current set or some new heads i pick up and play them
  2. Go for a fitting in which i find out what heads work best for me with the Steelfiber i95

you are like a squirrel on crack my friend. 😂😂

by my count you’re in like 4 different threads discussing equipment changes (driver, putter grip, putter, iron heads, iron shafts) while also trying out a few different instructors to fix some flaws in your swing. 

that is A LOT of moving parts when trying to hit a ball with a stick is hard enough as it is. 

i know equipment testing is something a lot of people on here like, and more power to everyone with the time and desire to go through that, but i wonder if getting one thing figured out at a time might help the rest settle in to place? 

just my two cents man. no harm meant by it at all. 

like my old man says...that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee. 

(or maybe a latte at the roastery in Cap Hill)

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

you are like a squirrel on crack my friend. 😂😂

by my count you’re in like 4 different threads discussing equipment changes (driver, putter grip, putter, iron heads, iron shafts) while also trying out a few different instructors to fix some flaws in your swing. 

that is A LOT of moving parts when trying to hit a ball with a stick is hard enough as it is. 

i know equipment testing is something a lot of people on here like, and more power to everyone with the time and desire to go through that, but i wonder if getting one thing figured out at a time might help the rest settle in to place? 

just my two cents man. no harm meant by it at all. 

like my old man says...that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee. 

(or maybe a latte at the roastery in Cap Hill)

Yep, im all over the place LOL. I'm set on instructor now though at least.

• Like 3

Updated 12/27/2020

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

... As a 21.5 index, you need the best fitting combo you can play. Of course this is true for everyone regardless of index but high index players may not know their swing well enough and might be using equipment ill for for their games. I made the mistake of installing some Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts in my irons and they were just too stout for my swing. Several years later after taming to Aerotech I installed a set of i95 regular flex and the results are excellent. As a shaft ho I didn't mind all that much but I would have saved money along with some time and the aggravation of shafting, removing shafts, boxing and selling them had I been fit to begin with.  

Thanks, that makes sense. If these were some normal shafts, I probably would just test them out and see. But these are some special edition green colored Masters Steelfibers, so i would hate to cut them down and install them, find out they don't work well for me, and then sell them used when i could have sold them brand new in the first place.

• Like 4

Updated 12/27/2020

Ok, taking my mind off of clubs for a while, so thinking about the mobility sticks below. Would like to improve mobility and reduce injuries.

Stick-Mobility-Golf-Mobility-Sticks-Bund

Updated 12/27/2020

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Ok, taking my mind off of clubs for a while, so thinking about the mobility sticks below. Would like to improve mobility and reduce injuries.

Stick-Mobility-Golf-Mobility-Sticks-Bund

Buy 1" or 1-1/4" wood dowels from the hardware store or unscrew the broom handle and use that... 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G410 4-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

5 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Buy 1" or 1-1/4" wood dowels from the hardware store or unscrew the broom handle and use that... 

The Stick Mobility sticks are flexible so they are different from a wood dowel or pvc pipe

Updated 12/27/2020

going to really try to commit to an armlock putter over the winter.
my stroke has been very wrist-y and I miss long, short, left, right... 🤣
forget the Scotty or Evnroll... I'm going to try something radical.

You don’t need a 45” armlock putter to use an armlock swing. I have a 33” putter and have stiffened my left arm to stay in the same plane as the putter. The results? Making many more putts.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8 (12*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: 33” Slotline SSi 693 Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.
  • Like 3

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

On 11/18/2020 at 8:45 PM, dlow206 said:

Thanks, that makes sense. If these were some normal shafts, I probably would just test them out and see. But these are some special edition green colored Masters Steelfibers, so i would hate to cut them down and install them, find out they don't work well for me, and then sell them used when i could have sold them brand new in the first place.

The i95 stiff is the same shaft Brandt Snedeker had used since 2018. 

As mentioned the steelfibers play stiff to flex and have a boardy feel for most. It’s actually what caused Matt Kuchar to go away from 110s and iirc why Snedeker went to the i95s voce the 110 and x flex.  Also this knock is why Aerotech designed the FC version 

Not to sound negative but the chances of you having a successful testing period with them and if you are worried about cutting them them down used instead of new I would highly consider just selling them new 

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1