What equipment are you thinking about?

Our Sponsors

One Length Irons!  Spent some time talking to the Cobra folks about them.  I wasn’t sure I was a good fit for them previously.  But found out otherwise! 

Once the 2021 lineup is announced I may give it a look. 

Now that’s interesting and a surprise!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny story, I was at GG last weekend waiting to hit the the Demo T400 they had just gotten in.  The sales rep goes to the guy in line before me and asks what can he help him with.    Customer: "

... I am pretty sure this applies to 99.9% of our posts here. 🤪

Picked up a set of these today (4-10) with the Vizard Graphite shaft.  At 85gr,  the shafts may be a little light,  but I wanted to give graphite a try.  Gotta figure out gapping for the bag;  even th

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Now that’s interesting and a surprise!

Yeah. I have been intrigued by them from the start.  But it seems with each iteration they tweak a few things to improve them.  

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah. I have been intrigued by them from the start.  But it seems with each iteration they tweak a few things to improve them.  

... in 1989 I was on staff with Tommy Armour when they released their EQL (Equal Length irons). I put one of my low swing speed students into a set and he was very happy with them, but I could not get anyone else interested. I always thought it was a great concept, especially for golfers that could not hit long irons very well. Looking forward to following your experience with them. 

• Like 5

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... in 1989 I was on staff with Tommy Armour when they released their EQL (Equal Length irons). I put one of my low swing speed students into a set and he was very happy with them, but I could not get anyone else interested. I always thought it was a great concept, especially for golfers that could not hit long irons very well. Looking forward to following your experience with them. 

Thanks for sharing that.  I was under the apparent misconception that they only suited faster swing players.   Thanks to Mike Yagley for clearing that up! 

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

You guys know my golf preferences pretty well I’d say.

99.9% sure I am going to get myself a 48° Mizuno T20 Raw wedge.  My 120-135 game is lacking.  Last round out most of my approaches were in that range, so I had to invent a shot.

Reason for choosing the Mizuno over the SM8, is well the $50 and its forged.  Yep, I just talked myself into it.  Keep an eye on the what have you bought lately thread.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You guys know my golf preferences pretty well I’d say.

99.9% sure I am going to get myself a 48° Mizuno T20 Raw wedge.  My 120-135 game is lacking.  Last round out most of my approaches were in that range, so I had to invent a shot.

Reason for choosing the Mizuno over the SM8, is well the $50 and its forged.  Yep, I just talked myself into it.  Keep an eye on the what have you bought lately thread.

... Sweet. Fwiw, in my fitting the *58 Mizuno T-20 was a better wedge for me than my Vokey SM8. Sole got through the turf better and green side bunker play was easier to execute. I was surprised but it was pretty obvious. The 52* SM8 and T-20 were virtually identical in performance although the T-20 did have a better feel. 

• Like 6

After the TXG video about two drivers, one set for a draw, one for a fade, and getting rid of the unused 3w, I’m in major ponder mode here.

• Like 5

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Depending on the LAB sale, you never know

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 63. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

I have a question for anyone who plays a 48* gap wedge, or those of you who are better at this wedge set up thing than I am...

My Rogue X irons had a 46* gap wedge. The lofts were so strong in that set of irons, I had to give up something somewhere, so I used a 52* 56* setup at the bottom of my bag and dropped my 58*.

The 52* - 56* gapped very well behind the 46*, but there were times I really missed having a 58* for short side bunker or flop shots around the green. I made do by opening up the 56, but...

My question is, now that my GW is 48*,  should I go

52-58

54-58

52-56 current set up

I'm just wondering what you would do. It will be a painless switch financially, as I have over a month left on a 90 day playability with my current wedges.

*** I should also note that the 0211 GW is a lot better to chip and pitch with than the Rogue X AW, which was very "hot" off the face. I find myself using the 0211 GW now for the greenside shots I was using my 52* for.***

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 1

Driver     :callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5* Hazardous Smoke i-10

Fairway  :titelist-small: TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage

Hybrids  :titelist-small:  TS2 19* & 21* Kuro Kage

Irons       PXG  0211 5-GW MMT70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5 stand or :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+

Extras   :yes-small: Tracy 33.5” 

:ping-small: G400 Max 9.0* Alta CB

:callaway-small: Rogue 15* Quaranta

I have a question for anyone who plays a 48* gap wedge, or those of you who are better at this wedge set up thing than I am...
My Rogue X irons had a 46* gap wedge. The lofts were so strong in that set of irons, I had to give up something somewhere, so I used a 52* 56* setup at the bottom of my bag and dropped my 58*.
The 52* - 56* gapped very well behind the 46*, but there were times I really missed having a 58* for short side bunker or flop shots around the green. I made do by opening up the 56, but...
52-58
54-58
52-56 current set up
The 52 I have now is bunching up a bit more to the 48, but I can live with it, I'm just wondering what you would do. It will be a painless switch financially, as I have over a month left on a 90 day playability with my current wedges.
*** I should also note that the 0211 GW is a lot better to chip and pitch with than the Rogue X AW, which was very "hot" off the face. I find myself using the 0211 GW now for the greenside shots I was using my 52* for.***

Not sure if I’m answering your question but my wedges are;
PW 44*
GW 49*
SW 55*
These are serving we well right now.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

28 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

52-58

54-58

52-56 current set up

I'm just wondering what you would do. It will be a painless switch financially, as I have over a month left on a 90 day playability with my current wedges.

... A lot depends on what kind of shots you hit. I play a 48* - 53* (1* weak 52*) - 58* but I play 95% of my shots around the green with my 58*. I flight all my wedges low so 3/4 or 1/2 shots with all of them depending on the pin location although I do hit full shots with my 48/53. Long bunker shots I use my 53* or even 48*. So you could easily bend your 52* to 53* and have 5* gaps with 48-53-58. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

The 52* gapped very well behind the 46* as did the 56* also, but there were times I really needed a 58* for short side bunker or flop shots around the green. I made do by opening up the 56, but...

My question is, now that my GW is 48*,  should I go 52-58, 54-58, or stick with the 52-56. The 52 I have now is bunching up a bit more to the 48, but I can live with it, I'm just wondering if you guys think I'm better of with a 58* LW. It will be a painless switch financially, as I have over a month left on a 90 day playability with my current wedges.

It all depends on how you are using the wedges. If you take full shots I would balance out the gaps and do 48, 54, and 60.  I had a similar issue, my old set had a 47 gap. My sand wedge is 56 and my lob is 60. From 47 to 56 is too large a gap. My current irons went to a 50 gap. So my gapping got better but still not ideal. I prefer 56 for sand and 60 for short sided shots. But I also hit full shots. But what really matters is how far you hit them. For me 50 is 100 yards, 56 is 80, and 60 is 60. So even though the lofts aren't evenly gapped it works for distance. All my chipping is with the 50*.  You also can have the lofts adjusted to get the desired gapping instead of investing. I wasnt sure if your 58* was part of the trial or not.

Chisag was a quicker typer than I was.......

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

1 minute ago, Rickp said:

Not sure if I’m answering your question but my wedges are;
PW 44*
GW 49*
SW 55*
These are serving we well right now.

Rick, if you look at our setups, you'll see my dilemma. you have a 5* gap with each wedge. With my current 48, 52, 56. I have a 4* spread. I could bend the 52 to 53 or a 54 to 53 if I had a 58 and get the same 5* you have, or jst see how the 54-58 works before bending. 

Just now, chisag said:

... A lot depends on what kind of shots you hit. I play a 48* - 53* (1* weak 52*) - 58* but I play 95% of my shots around the green with my 58*. I flight all my wedges low so 3/4 or 1/2 shots with all of them depending on the pin location although I do hit full shots with my 48/53. Long bunker shots I use my 53* or even 48*. So you could easily bend your 52* to 53* and have 5* gaps with 48-53-58. 

This is what I was just about to tell Rick P.

I'm not as proficient with my wedges as a player on your level though... I'm not so sure I'd depend solely on the 58 around the green. the 53 (or 54) would be used for full swings and bunkers, and some green side shots also. It would probably become my work horse wedge. the 58 would be used for all those same shots, except not so much on full swings...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grand Stranded said:

Rick, if you look at our setups, you'll see my dilemma. you have a 5* gap with each wedge. With my current 48, 52, 56. I have a 4* spread. I could bend the 52 to 53 or a 54 to 53 if I had a 58 and get the same 5* you have, or jst see how the 54-58 works before bending. 

This is what I was just about to tell Rick P.

I'm not as proficient with my wedges as a player on your level though... I'm not so sure I'd depend solely on the 58 around the green. the 53 (or 54) would be used for full swings and bunkers, and some green side shots also. It would probably become my work horse wedge. the 58 would be used for all those same shots, except not so much on full swings...

Take a look at the top Of your bag too.  If you can ditch a long club that is bunched with another one in the 5 yard group, ditch one and add an extra wedge.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It all depends on how you are using the wedges. If you take full shots I would balance out the gaps and do 48, 54, and 60.  I had a similar issue, my old set had a 47 gap. My sand wedge is 56 and my lob is 60. From 47 to 56 is too large a gap. My current irons went to a 50 gap. So my gapping got better but still not ideal. I prefer 56 for sand and 60 for short sided shots. But I also hit full shots. But what really matters is how far you hit them. For me 50 is 100 yards, 56 is 80, and 60 is 60. So even though the lofts aren't evenly gapped it works for distance. All my chipping is with the 50*.  You also can have the lofts adjusted to get the desired gapping instead of investing. I wasnt sure if your 58* was part of the trial or not.

Chisag was a quicker typer than I was.......

I'd be flying by the seat of my pants as far as distances go, Tom. I have my 52 and 56 yardages down, but the PGASS here, won't let you hit wedges in the bays (afraid of ceiling damage, lol). So I'm estimating how the 2* gap from 52-54 and 56-58 would work in my head.

Interesting thought with the 60, I've never played higher than a 58 the last 10 years...

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 3

Right now this setup has worked right now for me.
I’ve “tinkered” for a long time w this but this works but I’m sure it’s not for everyone.
BTW , 58* & 60* don’t work for me.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

9 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Right now this setup has worked right now for me.
I’ve “tinkered” for a long time w this but this works but I’m sure it’s not for everyone.
BTW , 58* & 60* don’t work for me.

I hear you. If I was still playing the Rogue X irons, I'd be fine with the 52-56. The 0211 GW isn't as hot a face, and is 2* weaker, so that's making me think I don't need the 52? 

@chisag One thing I forgot to bring up as far as bending the 52 weak, it's the exact length as the 0211 GW, so I'm thinking  1* weak won't really change anything. Maybe delofting a 54 would be better?

Edited by Grand Stranded

I love my 60* High flight, drop and stop and accurate. Can't even count how many times I hit the pin in a year. I just have to make sure it's not a tight lie.

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

45 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I love my 60* High flight, drop and stop and accurate. Can't even count how many times I hit the pin in a year. I just have to make sure it's not a tight lie.

When I lived up north, using a 60* wasn't a problem for me, in fact, I was pretty decent with it. When I moved down to Myrtle Beach, my short game went to pieces. Whereas back home the ball always seemed to sit up a bit, it seems like every course down here shaves the grass so much (especially around the greens) that you're always hitting off a tight lie. I developed a case of the yips with my wedges and it took me a while to recover from it.

I'm better now, but I rarely try to get very cute with my wedge game down here. It's funny though, when I'm up on Long Island I'll try all kinds of shots (even from deep rough, which we rarely have to deal with down here).

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 2