Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What equipment are you thinking about?

null

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... At my Callaway fitting a few days ago I was hitting my driver around 255-265 which is normally a stiff flex but I have a smooth transition and build speed through a late release and the R/SR flex worked best for me. Fitter said you can easily handle an S-flex but when I had you hit one, on the second/third swings I could tell you went at it a little harder because you didn't get that familiar kick with your first swing, so lets stick with SR or R (depending on the shaft). We talked about his experiences and he agreed it is an art/science combo and he has fit players that drive the ball 220 into an x-flex because they have a much more "violent" swing. As the saying goes, it isn't how fast you swing it is how you swing fast that counts in shaft selection. If you can honestly swing the same shaft in R or S without changing your swing, it sounds like an interesting option. 👍

That is interesting.  I definitely don't have a violent swing, a pretty smooth transition, but not Ernie smooth.   I would like to say that I build speed through a late release... but my biggest swing flaw is building speed in an early release... haha. 

I can hit the stiff, but I can feel the kick with the regular (as you described).  I was getting a little better launch numbers with the regular, but better dispersion with the stiff when I tested.  That may be "in the moment" and need more time with the regular to groove it for more control over it.  Not to mention the difference between one shaft model to the next.  I really like the way the Evenflow Riptide 50 feels, works well for my transition.  I tested into a regular when I was last fitted, so I told myself the next driver I buy will be in the regular shaft.... I already have the stiff shaft, so I thought... as long as I'm getting a new shaft, might as well increase my options with the sibling head :).  One of the combo's may be up for sale on the classifieds section after I do some multi-round testing.  Bottom line, I subscribe to the belief that you should swing the softest shaft you can control.  The days of thinking I can play tour XS shafts are LONG gone :).  

Plus, while I'm on the injured reserve, I have all kinds of time to think about things like this. 😉

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

2 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I can hit the stiff, but I can feel the kick with the regular (as you described).  I was getting a little better launch numbers with the regular, but better dispersion with the stiff when I tested.  That may be "in the moment" and need more time with the regular to groove it for more control over it. I really like the way the Evenflow Riptide 50 feels, works well for my transition.  I tested into a regular when I was last fitted, so I told myself the next driver I buy will be in the regular shaft.... I already have the stiff shaft, so I thought... as long as I'm getting a new shaft, might as well increase my options with the sibling head :).  One of the combo's may be up for sale on the classifieds section after I do some multi-round testing.  Bottom line, I subscribe to the belief that you should swing the softest shaft you can control.

... I understand and agree a fitting is the best way to find the right shaft but always felt it was a flawed process for most. You get one swing with your driver on a golf course but during a fitting you get to groove a swing and compensate for both equipment and your last swing. I have been fit into clubs and shafts that worked great on the range but not so much on the course. It didn't take me too many years of demo day and reviewing clubs/shafts to agree with you that most should swing the softest shaft they can control and would add the most forgiving combo of head and shaft as well. If you spray it some but dial it in on the range compared to a combo you hit a little shorter but really well from the very first swing, always go with the one you hit well immediately. I do think multi round testing is the best way to find the right driver and or shaft ... if you have that option. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

59 minutes ago, chisag said:

I do think multi round testing is the best way to find the right driver and or shaft ... if you have that option. 

Well, not the most cost effective way to do it... but purchasing both gives me that option.  As always, well said chisag.  I really don't care for testing clubs anywhere but on the course under playing conditions... you just never know until you are looking down the fairway how the club performs for you.  I think most of us have played enough at our home course to notice the nuances of difference from our gamers and anything new we bring to the table.  It would be nice if there was more opportunity to get out and play the clubs.  Some places offer a 30 day trial for used clubs, which I have used before... but hard to get that on the newest models though.  sounds like an entrepreneurial opportunity 🙂

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

New driver just because. Tax return season?!

Why am I like this?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

14 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Some places offer a 30 day trial for used clubs, which I have used before.

... One of the reasons I love the PGA SS 90 day playability guarantee. If you don't like it, bring it back inside of 90 days and get a full credit toward another club. I have taken advantage of the 90 day return for a shaft change which enabled me to take a chance on a shaft I was not sure of and I told then this upfront and they were happy to let me try it and then do the exchange. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Ventus TR. digging the black but wanting a little more launch. Might be the ticket

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I want a new bag. Trying to hold out to see if BagBoy or Ogio are releasing any new stand bags.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Definitely thinking about a new driver this year. Last year I was fitted at CC for a Sim 2 and picked up about 15 yds with their custom shaft - however the 800+ price tag was too much. I'm somewhat intrigued by the new LTDX Max.  My 410 SFT has served me well but time to change it up a bit. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 2/13/2022 at 10:03 PM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Ventus TR. digging the black but wanting a little more launch. Might be the ticket

I’m trying to talk myself out of ordering the TR. reading the reviews and the comparisons to blue and black (I’ve played both) make it seem like a great balance between the two. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

38 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Definitely thinking about a new driver this year. Last year I was fitted at CC for a Sim 2 and picked up about 15 yds with their custom shaft - however the 800+ price tag was too much. I'm somewhat intrigued by the new LTDX Max.  My 410 SFT has served me well but time to change it up a bit. 

I’m still thinking driver as well;  a few of this years models are out performing my 400 max.   But I am not hitting the driver well so I am trying to determine if it is better to fix the swing and test the drivers again or just buy a new driver…….

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

....I am trying to determine if it is better to fix the swing and test the drivers again or just buy a new driver…….

I hope you aren't expecting somebody to talk you out of a new driver!!  😂

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

37 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I hope you aren't expecting somebody to talk you out of a new driver!!  😂

No one would,  kind of trying to talk myself out of one and focusing on improving  my swing.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

No one would,  kind of trying to talk myself out of one and focusing on improving  my swing.  

In terms of 'support' when feeling the weakness and the need to buy a new club we are here to support the purchase!! 

Anyone looking for help fighting the urge should....

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

56 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If drivers in this year's test outperform your diver, wouldn't they also outperform your driver with an improved swing?  Just sayin'.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

45 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If drivers in this year's test outperform your diver, wouldn't they also outperform your driver with an improved swing?  Just sayin'.

Stop using logic on me 😂

Looking to try the Srixon Z Star Diamonds. I've played the regular Z Star and loved it. I know the Z-Star diamond promises the best of both worlds from the regular Z Star and the XV. 

I need a ball that I can stick with. I've primarily used Nike RZN Red's but since I'm just finding whatever is left out there I'd rather stick with a ball I know they'll keep making. Srixon seems to work for me. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert

Wood: Nike VRS Covert 3 Wood

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro 3, Nike VR Pro Cavity 4-PW

Wedges: Nike SV Tour 52, 56, 60

Putter: Nike Ignite 001

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I know…..if I change my swing it will probably change which driver I would need to get; therefore I need to,wait on the driver until my swing is “consistent” 

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I know…..if I change my swing it will probably change which driver I would need to get; therefore I need to,wait on the driver until my swing is “consistent” 

Some would look at that as an opportunity to get two new drivers!!  🤩

I'm here to help all I can!!  👍

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

That's probably good... that's probably very good!!  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thinking about my TM Stealth that is on the way. Note, i preordered it before New Year's day, so that doesn't count against my New Year's resolution. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hit drivers after players iron testing and was hitting the ball pretty well.  Driver swing fixed time to pick the driver  😂.     Hit Stealth, Cleveland XL lite, Rogue triple diamond, and Rogue max LS.    Was getting 158-162 ball speeds with bad shots being in the 153 range.  Max LS seemed to be the best combination of forgiveness and ball speed.  

Not that it should drive your choice, but did others beat the Max LS for ball speed?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

46 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Not that it should drive your choice, but did others beat the Max LS for ball speed?

Ball speed was probably more consistent with the Stealth; bunch of 160, but hit the LS faster.   Granted it didn’t fit myself; just pulled them as configured out if the driver bags.  My goal was to get the fastest ball speed with acceptable spin levels.  Driver speed was 110/111 and my smash was in the 1.40 to 1.47 range. 

Irons. I think 7 years since my current ones were released should give me some added forgiveness. Maybe driver too, depending on how I feel this season. Fairway and wedges are definitely safe.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 2/16/2022 at 10:45 AM, cnosil said:

Ball speed was probably more consistent with the Stealth; bunch of 160, but hit the LS faster.   Granted it didn’t fit myself; just pulled them as configured out if the driver bags.  My goal was to get the fastest ball speed with acceptable spin levels.  Driver speed was 110/111 and my smash was in the 1.40 to 1.47 range. 

I am impressed with the SS you are sporting these days!

33 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I am impressed with the SS you are sporting these days!

Thanks.   I am pretty happy with the speed I can generate 

What am I considering?  Well, every time I absolutely coin my G400 3w and feel like it is just woefully short... I revisit my old thread and need to try some of the suggested clubs. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Driver fitting tomorrow in Jackson, MS. Talked to the fitter today to confirm we’re using Trackman and the RCT balls, and he confirmed. I’ll do a write-up like I usually do and include some numbers from across the clubs tested. I’m looking for a head that’s most consistent for me, reducing dispersion, because I tend to hit balls all across the face! Going to be fun!!! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

4 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Driver fitting tomorrow in Jackson, MS. Talked to the fitter today to confirm we’re using Trackman and the RCT balls, and he confirmed. I’ll do a write-up like I usually do and include some numbers from across the clubs tested. I’m looking for a head that’s most consistent for me, reducing dispersion, because I tend to hit balls all across the face! Going to be fun!!! 

How many driver fittings is this??? I may have missed one but I feel like this is at least your third in the last two years? Going to try anything in particular 

On 2/13/2022 at 10:03 PM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I went to the TR from having the Blue.  Also, i was fitted into the Black during my fitting.  I will tell you that the TR feels a lot more like the Black than the Blue so the learning curve of the shaft will probably be minimal.  I have noticed pretty similar launch to my blue and spin numbers are a bit down.  Could be a great option.  It feels every bit as stiff as the black.  Blue definitely did not feel whippy, but did have more pronounced than the black.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"