What equipment are you thinking about?

jlukes

On 4/19/2021 at 11:31 AM, chisag said:

... I absolutely love my long irons. Iron play is the strength of my game but when I watch players like Wie and Ko that have replaced long irons with hybrids and hit them so very well, I am admittedly jealous because I do not. One day, hopefully sooner than later, I will make the transition to hybrids and join you ole gray. 

I thought I read that Wie is carrying an 11wd.  Does she also carry a bybrid?

WITB:

Nothing presently.  I'm doing a full rebuild soon after my golfer's elbow heals and I get a full fitting.

2 minutes ago, seeking70's said:

She’s has the 11 wood in the bag for a few years now. No hybrid. She goes from 11 wood to a 6i

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

39 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

She’s has the 11 wood in the bag for a few years now. No hybrid. She goes from 11 wood to a 6i

That's what I thought.  Makes me wonder how her bag is setup.  I go from 9wd to 6i and have 14 clubs.  I have driver, 4 fairways, 6-GW, SW, LW, putter.

WITB:

Nothing presently.  I'm doing a full rebuild soon after my golfer's elbow heals and I get a full fitting.

My Honma TR20 Tour P irons with the new Modus 130 stiff in them..... Shipping back to me was initiated today!

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

22 minutes ago, seeking70's said:

That's what I thought.  Makes me wonder how her bag is setup.  I go from 9wd to 6i and have 14 clubs.  I have driver, 4 fairways, 6-GW, SW, LW, putter.

Iirc she has driver 3,5,7,11 the 6-p. Don’t recall the wedges but from what I remember it was 3 wedges 

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I am looking at new irons and the Sub70 699pros look like they could be a fit.  I like that they can send you demos before you buy.  Anyone else done that yet?

Golf without a cigar has not been a good use of time.

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Iirc she has driver 3,5,7,11 the 6-p. Don’t recall the wedges but from what I remember it was 3 wedges 

Basically, like I have mine setup with the 9 swapped for the 11.  Wonder how that gaps with the 7wd.  I might consider giving that a look since the gap in my bag is between 9wd and 6i.

WITB:

Well the 16.5* Callaway Mavrik that was swiped by SWMBO doesn't look like it will be a free agent any time soon so I have to start looking for another 3 or 4 wood for my own use.  There is a serious yardage gap between the driver and the 18* hybrid that needs to be filled.  

• Like 2

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 hours ago, seeking70's said:

... She carried several but you are right, she is all fairway woods now. 3, 5, 7 and 11. Lowest iron is a 6 which I find mind boggling. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

10 hours ago, seeking70's said:

Basically, like I have mine setup with the 9 swapped for the 11.  Wonder how that gaps with the 7wd.  I might consider giving that a look since the gap in my bag is between 9wd and 6i.

The gap will vary by individual based on speed and club delivery. Two people with same speed but different delivery of the club will see different flight and yardage numbers. 

If we keep all things equal 1* of loft is ~2-3yards. 

On 4/21/2021 at 7:03 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The gap will vary by individual based on speed and club delivery. Two people with same speed but different delivery of the club will see different flight and yardage numbers. 

If we keep all things equal 1* of loft is ~2-3yards. 

This is what makes me wonder why Callaway (and likely other companies, too) only have 2° between their fairway woods.  I realize that they're progressively shorter, but it seems weird to have a 21° 7wd and a 23° 9wd.

WITB:

On 4/20/2021 at 10:44 PM, chisag said:

... She carried several but you are right, she is all fairway woods now. 3, 5, 7 and 11. Lowest iron is a 6 which I find mind boggling. 

It boggles my mind, too (about my bag, not hers), but as long as it continues to work, I'm game.  I may, at some point, swap the 3wd and 5wd for a 4wd so I can put a 5i back in the bag, but I'm not to that point just yet.

• Like 1

WITB:

On 4/20/2021 at 9:38 AM, GenglerJ said:

Currently playing Ping i200 irons and have wanted to upgrade to the i210 for a year, but now I’m just anxious to see what replaces the i210?!  Anyone hearing any solid rumors or know of a release date?

Pictures floating around the interwebs today of Viktor Hovland playing a prototype i59 forged filled cavity blade today at the Zurich.

Looking at possibly trying a new driver.

Tried out a couple for the first time today.  First up was the Sim 2 and Epic Speed.  Asked the clerk for the Epic Max LS, but he grabbed the wrong club (thanks Golf Galaxy).  Tried it anyways, Sim 2 was not for me at all, while I do like the look, I was not finding the center well and spin was way too high. 

Epic Speed was better, but spin was still a bit higher than what I'd be looking for if I made a switch.  Will try to hit more during the next week as I do want to hit the Titleist drivers and maybe Cobra.

As much as I've tried to love the Ping drivers, I just don't garner confidence from them.

• Like 3

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

13 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Tried out a couple for the first time today.  First up was the Sim 2 and Epic Speed.  Asked the clerk for the Epic Max LS, but he grabbed the wrong club (thanks Golf Galaxy).  Tried it anyways, Sim 2 was not for me at all, while I do like the look, I was not finding the center well and spin was way too high. 

Epic Speed was better, but spin was still a bit higher than what I'd be looking for if I made a switch.  Will try to hit more during the next week as I do want to hit the Titleist drivers and maybe Cobra.

As much as I've tried to love the Ping drivers, I just don't garner confidence from them.

Im going to the callaway fitting day at my club on Saturday to check out the new Callaway Epic line of drivers to see if they perform any better than my TSi 2. I've never hit a driver with a movable weight, so want to see if that does anything for me as well. 

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

27 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I really like the Epic Max LS, I want to do a deeper dive with one. That said, you’d be doing yourself a disservice to not at least swing a cobra driver. 

also thanks for posting and making me think about drivers again... it’s been a few days. Haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Im going to the callaway fitting day at my club on Saturday to check out the new Callaway Epic line of drivers to see if they perform any better than my TSi 2. I've never hit a driver with a movable weight, so want to see if that does anything for me as well. 

Didn’t you have a max LS for 4 hours you could have tested?

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

40 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Didn’t you have a max LS for 4 hours you could have tested?

Yes, but that club was not purchased with the intention of taking the plastic off of. It was purchased to capitalize on a good trade-in deal to resell. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

2 hours ago, seeking70's said:

This is what makes me wonder why Callaway (and likely other companies, too) only have 2° between their fairway woods.  I realize that they're progressively shorter, but it seems weird to have a 21° 7wd and a 23° 9wd.

They have two different lines designed to play differently as well. One like like epic is more “players” style for some control and the mavrik or rouge previously for forgiveness and higher ball flight. 

Also as we know all things in golf aren’t equal so there could be more than 3 yards per degree because of spin and launch. Changing shafts profiles between them, maybe tipping them for some will impact distance. Also easier for some to not choke down to change distance or ball flight compared to making a normal swing. 

Iirc she played epic and rogue in her woods when she went to Callaway a few years back. I think she had a different shaft in the 7 wood.

For pros a lot of their bag is setup to hit certain gaps and it doesn’t matter if it’s 2* or 5* between each club.

• Like 1