What equipment are you thinking about?

jlukes

I've not been pleased with my irons. Nothing in particular and most likely it's the archer and not the arrow. 

Still interested in replacing them.

Can't really justify the pricetag of major OEMs, so considering options like Maltby, Sub 70, etc

• Like 2

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

I've deleted my signature for the time being out of embarrassment.

My new Mizuno numbered irons aren't playing as well as older gear for me.

I only changed because I was getting too much rollout with some clubs

and figured that my old grooves were too worn.

With the USGA police not looking, I should just gouge out some old grooves with a cutting tool.

2 hours ago, KurtActual said:

I've not been pleased with my irons. Nothing in particular and most likely it's the archer and not the arrow. 

Still interested in replacing them.

Can't really justify the pricetag of major OEMs, so considering options like Maltby, Sub 70, etc

I'm about your HC and LOVE my Sub70 699 Pros.  They are long, straight and workable enough to groove a draw.  Highly recommended.  

• Like 2

Driver:  RBZ Stage 2 (9.5)

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13)

3U: Sub70 (19.5)

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S) 

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

Still got a hankering for some hybrid irons - Launchers, Launch Pads, etc. I may see what pricing looks like over the winter and I've (hopefully) got a bonus sitting in my wallet.

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

What I've noticed with irons, and it's more than what I've noticed--I've been recently affected by it--

is that if you chose the weakest lofted models available, you also get the least forgiving models.  The more perimeter weighted irons are, the stronger the manufacturer sets the lofts.

This isn't going to change. If you're old enough, you've seen lofts get radically stronger, and there's no sign of that ever turning around.  Working in conjunction with one another, the marketing people and the engineering people aren't trying to please potential customers like myself who are on their last legs as players.  Anyone other than seniors never once owned a  46 or 48º 9-iron, and have no use for one now.    I'm ecstatic to find a 42º one among newer models.

So it turned out that I have a new set of numbered irons that I don't play as well as any of my last three older sets.  I only bought them for the fresh, unworn grooves because I was getting too much rollout with some older gear.  What I'm going to do is bite the bullet, put the new irons prematurely among the decorative collectables, and do some serious gouging on some old, worn grooves.   If they're non-conforming, and I can't see how they wouldn't be, so be it.  I tried.

Thinking about the Winn jumbo grips to go with my one plane swing. Actually have one on my driver and one on my lob wedge and a set of grips ready to be installed. Just waiting for those peaky new irons to arrive lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thinking about the Winn jumbo grips to go with my one plane swing. Actually have one on my driver and one on my lob wedge and a set of grips ready to be installed. Just waiting for those peaky new irons to arrive lol.

Are you doing one length irons then or the Matt Kuchar one plane swing?

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 6s 45")

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 8s Hyb)

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (Winter ball :titelist-small: proV1 )

3 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Are you doing one length irons then or the Matt Kuchar one plane swing?

Neither.

and definitely not that flat of a swing like kuchar, more bryson like

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

I can't stop thinking about picking up a TM Spider X!  My putting has been terrible lately and the Spider X is so stable, so reliable.  I feel like all my short putts in the shop and dropping in .  Winters are long here in MI so I'll have plenty of time to save a few bucks and have one next season.  

• Like 1

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

Rolled some putters at DSG today waiting for my wife. First off the ping Tyne has got to be the quietest putter I’ve ever tried. I had to make sure I even hit the ball. Odyssey ten two ball is money. Also there is a new TA #4. It’s golden. E5BBABC0-C816-45DA-8E4F-FCCA782F0606.jpeg.0e4d210b599d7d45b753a30191baf2ef.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 6s 45")

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 8s Hyb)

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Thinking about a new 3w/4w. My current one is decent, however it's got a busted shaft I did a DIY repair job on last year, and it hasn't felt the same since. Something around 16* that I can use primarily for tee shots, since my HWood is for the turf. I'm sure there's probably some stuff out there with a little more forgiveness and a hotter face. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

The Titleist U505 4 iron.   I originally didn’t think of this club as I didn’t think I could hit it.  But we had Titleist Fitting Day at my course today—-otherwise known as Christmas comes early for me 🤣

But I hit it several times.  It’s probably right there distance wise with my TSi1 hybrid.  But boy did it feel and look so much better. 

By the way, I posted this on social.  One of our instructors putting on a stripe show with  the U505 1 iron!   You know the old Joke. Not even God can hit a 1 iron.  But Ari sure can. 

Also the full bag of U505 options and a few CB’s. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTh_1KWlqF7/

5974F82B-D509-468B-AAF2-8DB7E8C2DC34.jpeg

60AF7760-56CE-47F3-A205-492ACE30DF9C.jpeg

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Almost pulled the trigger on a LAB outlet putter. I may just need to ask for one for Christmas instead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/27/2021 at 10:51 AM, BostonSal said:

I like a lob wedge with low enough bounce to hit from the parking lot asphalt.

My present one, which is great on full shots, doesn't fit that description.

AND, I don't hit that many full-shot lob wedges.  

Who can recommend what?

SM-7 M grind

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max 9* Cypher

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* Cypher

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* & 21* Kuro Kage

PXG 0311 Gen3 XP 5-AW MMT

:titelist-small: SM8 52F & 58D DG S200

:ping-small: Kushion 4.0 34”

Also in rotation :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18*, :titelist-small:TSi2 24*, :scotty-small: Newport 2.0

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+Black stand bag

25 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

SM-7 M grind

Yup. Got a 58-04 and a 60-04. Can't remember the grind letter off the top of my head, but it's probably what you said..

Edited by BostonSal
  • Like 2

Elbow had been feeling a bit sure after practicing lately so if course thinking graphite. Hoping my local fitter had some options in the 110 and up range. Also think it might be a good opportunity to help me feel like I can slow down without sacrificing speed.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° :Fuji: Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5 - PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS-logo - KZG Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: - Pro V1x | Right Handed

Tracked by :ShotScope:

2 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Yup. Got a 58-04 and a 60-04. Can't remember the grind letter off the top of my head, but it's probably what you said..

probably an L grind.  M grind is 8*

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well, this was nowhere near 10 weeks!!!FB18117E-53A1-49D8-B58E-A466BB983F00.png.28c671ace7ac776119e548142a6ef25c.png

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

On 9/1/2021 at 1:12 PM, russtopherb said:

Still got a hankering for some hybrid irons - Launchers, Launch Pads, etc. I may see what pricing looks like over the winter and I've (hopefully) got a bonus sitting in my wallet.

I'm hoping Sub 70 will sell individual 799 irons. You should take a look at em

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.