What equipment are you thinking about?

jlukes

19 minutes ago, Londo said:

I would love to try a Srixon or Sub70 UI

well they are on sale right now

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S (Testing Ventus Velocore Black 6x 44.5")

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 8s Hyb)

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (Winter ball :titelist-small: proV1 )

55 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

well they are on sale right now

ARRRGGGGG Thats tempting, but I did just get a wood that I need to try before I think of getting another club. Thank you for the heads up though!

• Like 1

I’ve really thinned out the herd.

i own only 17 clubs right now… a driver, 3&5 FW, 18,21 and 24* hybrids, irons 5-GW, wedges 52,58* two putters.

I’m not looking for anything else until the ‘22 releases are out, but even then it will most likely be a tweaking situation rather than an overhaul. (The lone exception is if I can ever get my hands on the G425 Max driver I was fit for back in June. Apparently the shaft I need is golf’s version of Sasquatch. There are rumors it’s a thing, but nobody can find it.)

2022 is going to be about golf, not golf clubs for me. I know I have quality equipment, so now I really want to concentrate on getting my game back to where it should be.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G425 Max 9* (set to 10*)

:callaway-small: Epic Max 15* Cypher

:cleveland-small: Halo Hy Wood 18* Cypher

:callaway-small: Rogue X 20* Synergy

PXG 0311 Gen3 XP 5-AW MMT

PXG 0311 Forged 54* & 58* MMT 

:ping-small: Kushion 4.0 34”

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+Black stand bag

4 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

i own only 17 clubs right now

I'm sorry, I don't understand those words.  Is that Sanskrit or Aramaic?

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5

13 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand those words.  Is that Sanskrit or Aramaic?

😂
…and once I decide between the 3 hybrid and 5 wood and the 5 iron or 5 hybrid going in my bag it will be down to 15! 
I’m going full KISS in 2022! 

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

:ping-small: G425 Max 9* (set to 10*)

:callaway-small: Epic Max 15* Cypher

:cleveland-small: Halo Hy Wood 18* Cypher

:callaway-small: Rogue X 20* Synergy

PXG 0311 Gen3 XP 5-AW MMT

PXG 0311 Forged 54* & 58* MMT 

:ping-small: Kushion 4.0 34”

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+Black stand bag

I have a Top Flite Intimidator 400 7-wood which would clearly be considered a 9-wood in modern lofts.

I haven't played it in quite a while but it was a great club from the rough,

from a divot,

for getting the ball quickly over a tree,

or for a nice vertical descent on a tough to hold green.  Made monumental ball marks.

It would be absolutely plausible to see it back in my bag with just a new grip.

Now I'm going entirely from memory here, but off the top of my head, the only frequent MGS poster who routinely bags a 9-wood is the Rev.

If I remember, he goes striaght from there to a six-iron, although his 6-iron, if I recall, is close to my 5-iron in loft.

He's a Ping fairway wood guy as I recall, and the Ping 5-7-9 metal combo is from all accounts a nice, hittable set in recent models.

Unlike Floridian Rev, I've got an entire winter to think about it, but as a senior, a configuration like that might be favorable for me as well.

Anybody else in the gang looking at a 9-wood?

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, Grand Stranded said:

😂
…and once I decide between the 3 hybrid and 5 wood and the 5 iron or 5 hybrid going in my bag it will be down to 15! 
I’m going full KISS in 2022! 

Sounds good to me!

eep

ncreasing

pecialty Club

tockpile

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Debating changing the top of my bag and going 4w. Ugh. 

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S (Testing Ventus Velocore Black 6x 44.5")

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 8s Hyb)

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

29 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

I'm curious about what's so ughish about a four wood?

Never got along with woods and last season got a super hybrid to catch lightning in a bottle

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Never got along with woods and last season got a super hybrid to catch lightning in a bottle

Uh oh!  The name has changed to protect the innocent.

• Haha 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

19 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I see.   I find them a little problematic from sidehill and downhill lies, but those aren't my favorite shots with any club.

• Like 1

Recently left my Jaws MD5 58-10 lob on 18 at the last course I played. Called them and somehow no one turned anything in. So needless to say now I’m the market for a new wedge. I use that club a lot around the green so it was probably about time anyways since I’ve been playing it just shy of 2 years.

I live in South Florida where is usually always soft and wet. So really leaning towards the Ping Glide 3.0 in the same 58-10 for wet spin performance. 

Really I should probably replace my 50 and 54 as well. At 90% or so I’m at 105, 90, and 75 yds with my 50-54-58 setup. Probably going to adjust my game so my 50 deg for 50-100yds out and 58 for 50 and under. My 54 I’ll use exclusively just for the sand and probably go lower bounce since the sand is usually damped or packed here. Never really play in fluffy stuff. Probably stick with the Glide for 50 but not really sure what to look at exclusively for the sand. Any suggestions for a sandy?

Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 14 way

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 deg (set to 9.6 deg/"big minus") Oban Devotion 6 Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange Stiff 70g Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Hybrids: 19 deg and 22 deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Irons: 5-PW Irons PXG 0211 KBS C Taper Tour 120 Stiff -0.50" JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Wedges: 50, 54 and 58 deg Callaway MD5 JAWS 10 deg bounce S Grind Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Putter:  PXG Gen2 Spitfire Armlock 37.5" SuperStroke Flatso 3.0 17"

Game Ball: Chromesoft X LS / Titleist Left Dot

So this will probably be one of the few posts I will make in this thread where i am not thinking about buying something, but thinking about the piece of equipment itself.

Thinking about the Apex UW. I currently reshafted one for a customer and I am looking at it in detail. It looks like a hybrid, the head weighs more in the range of a hybrid than a fairway wood, its more like the length of a hybrid, seems like its a hybrid to me (slightly longer). However, the one thing that throws it off in my mind is that it takes a 0.335" wood shaft rather than the more typical 0.370" hosels in hybrids. 

• Like 5

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

On 12/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, BostonSal said:

I have a Top Flite Intimidator 400 7-wood which would clearly be considered a 9-wood in modern lofts.

I haven't played it in quite a while but it was a great club from the rough,

from a divot,

for getting the ball quickly over a tree,

or for a nice vertical descent on a tough to hold green.  Made monumental ball marks.

It would be absolutely plausible to see it back in my bag with just a new grip.

Now I'm going entirely from memory here, but off the top of my head, the only frequent MGS poster who routinely bags a 9-wood is the Rev.

If I remember, he goes striaght from there to a six-iron, although his 6-iron, if I recall, is close to my 5-iron in loft.

He's a Ping fairway wood guy as I recall, and the Ping 5-7-9 metal combo is from all accounts a nice, hittable set in recent models.

Unlike Floridian Rev, I've got an entire winter to think about it, but as a senior, a configuration like that might be favorable for me as well.

Anybody else in the gang looking at a 9-wood?

You did recall correctly. LarryD hit my 9 wood a couple of months ago and was eBay in the parking lot as I was leaving the course. 🙂

Yes my 160 yard club has about the same loft as my old Ping Eye 2 5 that I used to hit from 180. 

We all get old at some point. 

• Like 5

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I have not been able to get the Mizuno pro 223s out of my head since the announcement.  I'm afraid to go search out a demo because I'm sure I'll be posting on club hos anonymous about 5 minutes after I find them.  😁

• Like 6

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 63 G35t

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°,5I 24°,6I 27°,7I 31°,8I 35°,9I 39°,PW 44°-- True Temper Elevate Tour 

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV

On 12/11/2021 at 10:37 PM, Syks7 said:

I have not been able to get the Mizuno pro 223s out of my head since the announcement.  I'm afraid to go search out a demo because I'm sure I'll be posting on club hos anonymous about 5 minutes after I find them.  😁

They do look nice.

• Like 3

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.