What equipment are you thinking about?

jlukes

My bag is pretty solid right now, the driver, putter and iron spots are better than they’ve been in a long time and my hybrids and wedges have been behaving fairly well. I really shouldn’t be looking for anything, but I’ve come to the conclusion I’m always going to look to tweak something. 🙄 I’m looking to try the 18* Cleveland Hy Wood.

I’m so bad with FWs… my 5 wood is all over the lot, so I’d love to put something with a little more pop than my 3 hybrid in my bag, and the Hy Wood has me interested. I’ll wait until Callaway comes out with the new Rogue line in a couple weeks though. If they have another pure distance hybrid like the Rogue X line from ‘17, that’s how I’ll go.

i should just take the 3 wood out of my bag, it’s only purpose seems to be to aggravate me, and it seems the ones I buy have the shelf life of a gallon of milk. I never learn or stop looking though, I’m sure I’ll be trying a few when the ‘22 versions come out.

I really should leave well enough alone though. I’m playing pretty good golf right now, but the combination of the new releases, and a couple extra clubs to trade (see the extras in my sig) will make it hard to do.

• Like 5

:ping-small: G425 Max 9*(set at 10*) Distanza 

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max D 16* NVS Orange

:cleveland-small: Hy-wood 18* Cypher

:callaway-small: Rogue ST OS 21* Cypher

:cleveland-small: Halo Launcher XL 5-DW Cypher   

:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58* DG 115

L.A.B. Golf DF2.1 BGT Stability Tour Black 65* 34”

:OnCore: Elixir Yellow 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+ Black 

Thinking about whether to get new irons for my father in-law and which to get. He is not good at all at golf (when the ball goes somewhere forward, we are happy). He has a cheap beginner set, which is probably fine, but with his age and strength, he would probably do slightly better with something lighter and softer in flex. He basically needs the cheap senior beginner set. 

Also, when I say he is bad at golf, i mean it. If his ball lands in the bunker, he picks it up and throws it out, or if I am playing with it, i hit his bunker shot for him lol

• Like 4

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Thinking about whether to get new irons for my father in-law and which to get. He is not good at all at golf (when the ball goes somewhere forward, we are happy). He has a cheap beginner set, which is probably fine, but with his age and strength, he would probably do slightly better with something lighter and softer in flex. He basically needs the cheap senior beginner set. 

Also, when I say he is bad at golf, i mean it. If his ball lands in the bunker, he picks it up and throws it out, or if I am playing with it, i hit his bunker shot for him lol

Define cheap.  New or used?

Edit:  The best deal right now for new clubs is the PXG 0211DC irons @ $77 per club with a choice of Project X Cypher 50g or MMT 60g shaft built to your specs.  

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Define cheap.  New or used?

Edit:  The best deal right now for new clubs is the PXG 0211DC irons @ $77 per club with a choice of Project X Cypher 50g or MMT 60g shaft built to your specs.  

Cheaper than that lol. Current thought is building a set of the most super SGI Maltby irons. 

• Like 4

Updated 11/13/2021

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Define cheap.

... Anyone playing a $50 or more course and using AAA recycled golf balls. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec ... Steelfiber i80R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

18 minutes ago, silver & black said:

🤔

"

If you take one thing away from this article, let it be this:

Don’t buy recycled, refinished or Reload(ed) golf balls." 

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-lab-reload-pro-v1-refinished-golf-balls/

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, chisag said:

"

If you take one thing away from this article, let it be this:

Don’t buy recycled, refinished or Reload(ed) golf balls." 

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-lab-reload-pro-v1-refinished-golf-balls/

Right, but I don't buy refinished balls or the reload stuff from the stores. I buy found balls from on line sellers.

What's the difference if I buy them or I find them while playing? When I get them, they have play wear and marks and logos. They haven't been refinished or refurbished in any way. 

When is a brand new ball not worth playing anymore? One round...two? If I find that ball while playing, is it somehow no good anymore? 

I suppose if I were the caliber of player that you and some others on here are, I might notice a difference, but even then, I don't have the disposable income to play $50.00 a dozen brand new balls. If I could afford to play pristine courses and pay $50.00+ greens fees all the time, I suppose I could afford those $50.00 balls..... but I still wouldn't see the sense in paying that much when I can get the same balls for half that and less, with a few marks and dirt stains that the brand new balls would have after three holes anyway.

I'm not knocking you or anyone else that disagrees with me. If you can afford it, have at it. It's just not something I feel the need to spend that much money on.

35 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I'm not knocking you or anyone else that disagrees with me. If you can afford it, have at it. It's just not something I feel the need to spend that much money on.

...  S&B I hear ya but I never said there is anything wrong with being cheap, I just gave a definition. 😇  Lots of folks here are always on the lookout for a cheap bargain, myself included. I play twilite golf for $24 here in Phoenix with a Sr City Card while most courses are charging $100 - $350. "Found balls" can also be recycled balls too, there is just no way to know? The thing is there are just so many killer bargains for new golf balls it just doesn't make much sense to take the chance that your bad shot was the result of a defective used ball. Maxfli has the Tour and Tour X on sale for $104 for 4 dozen and MGS posted a code for 40% off a dozen of those same balls a week ago. Kirkland Signature balls are $12 a dozen in a 2 pack. And you can usually find cheap deals on premium balls from previous seasons as well.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Golfers can play with many type golf balls. New, Used, Found, Recycled, Refurbished, etc. If you select some of these types, you very well could be hurting your golf game. Possibly losing 10 - 20 % on yardage, especially if they have been laying in a lake for a long period. I love a bargain as much as the next guy and you can find premium golf balls if you are selective.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour

My father in-law can play recycled balls. The course he plays is $5 per round, and he whiffs on quite a few shots lol. 

• Haha 2

Updated 11/13/2021

My wish list changes often.  Since GC3 is only a dream at this point, I've got my eyes on Blast Motion swig sensor.  I would use it for indoor putting practice.  

Blast_Product_Package.png.webp

• Hmmm 1
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

On 11/30/2021 at 4:38 PM, Grand Stranded said:

I’ve really thinned out the herd.

i own only 17 clubs right now… a driver, 3&5 FW, 18,21 and 24* hybrids, irons 5-GW, wedges 52,58* two putters.

That's discipline!   

I have trouble parting with certain things, golf clubs included.

I own sets going back to the hand-me-downs that my uncle gave me when I was a kid.

My bag is pretty well set now with the new putter and wedges.  My driver, a Callaway GBB Epic is the oldest club in the bag.  I'd like a new driver and can't help myself from looking, but my fitting over the summer told me that I hit the Epic as well as anything else I tried.  Heart says...new driver...new driver...new driver.  Head, wallet and club fitter say...stick with old driver. 

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max Driver, 9*, Project X HZRDUS Smoke 50g

:callaway-small: Epic Max 3-wood,  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

:Sub70:       286 Forged Wedges, 52* and 56*

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

36 minutes ago, pakman92 said:

My wish list changes often.  Since GC3 is only a dream at this point, I've got my eyes on Blast Motion swig sensor.  I would use it for indoor putting practice.  

Blast_Product_Package.png.webp

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour

As of now, I am planning on putting in a 7 wood to replace my hybrid.  I use to have one be sold it with my other woods.  Big mistake. This is a definite maybe.

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM9 52F & 56S wedges | Bettinardi BB45 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Titleist Pro V1 yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 12

:ping-small:  :titelist-small: :vokey-small:   :bettinardi-small:   :Snell:   :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

Before the virus thing, I was seriously looking at the Mizuno MP 18 SC irons. Chisag kind of steared me toward the MMC instead, believing they would serve me better. I agreed...lol.

Then the Mp 20's came out and I was pie eyed...lol. I hit the MMC's and loved them. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money while being out of work, so I didn't pull the trigger.

Now the Mizuno Pro 223 is out and I can't wait to hit them. I'm still not working at my real job, but I am working, so.... I might just pull the trigger this year. Who knows, I may very well get the MP 20 MMC's at a bargain instead................................ or I might get cold feet and continue on with my MP 64's. 😂

• Like 1

Used a cobra Speedzone 4 Hybrid today with a Tour AD 85X shaft. 

Think it just replaced my 4 iron it was so good. Smooth 205 and descent angle about 47/47 spin rate was rubbish reading will need to use again to get them correctly. 

• Like 1

"C'mon be good"

1 hour ago, PankaGolf said:

Used a cobra Speedzone 4 Hybrid today with a Tour AD 85X shaft. 

Think it just replaced my 4 iron it was so good. Smooth 205 and descent angle about 47/47 spin rate was rubbish reading will need to use again to get them correctly. 

Turns out it was a 5 hybrid which is the same loft as my 4 and despite my pleas not for sale. 

Edited by PankaGolf
  • Like 1

"C'mon be good"

Well I was thinking I was getting my son new irons today but trips to PGA Superstore and a pro shop known for their huge selection of used clubs were fruitless. We spent 3 hours driving around and came home empty handed. I guess used inventory is still scarce. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact