What equipment are you thinking about?

jlukes

On 12/31/2021 at 11:36 PM, russtopherb said:

Well I was thinking I was getting my son new irons today but trips to PGA Superstore and a pro shop known for their huge selection of used clubs were fruitless. We spent 3 hours driving around and came home empty handed. I guess used inventory is still scarce. 

Get him a set of the 0211’s for $77 per iron. That’s probably less than you’d have spent for a used set at a retail store. 😉

• Like 4

:ping-small: G425 Max 10* Distanza 

:callaway-small: 2018 Rogue 15* Quaranta

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 18* 20* & 23* Cypher

:cleveland-small: Halo Launcher XL 6-DW Cypher

:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58* DG 115

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide 34”

:OnCore: Elixir Yellow round things

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+ 14 way stand bag 

26 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Get him a set of the 0211’s for $77 per iron. That’s probably less than you’d have spent for a used set at a retail store. 😉

No. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:wilson_staff_small: D200 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

On 1/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, russtopherb said:

No. 

Why not? 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

I bought a King F9 5 wood last year at PGASS new marked down to $49, It said demo but it looked brand new, It has a Helium light flex shaft on it.  Dialed down to 17* I'm getting the same distance out of it as my ping 410 22* hybrid with a Tensi Blue CK 70 gr R flex. With a nice balance in my paypal account, I decided to get a new shaft for the 5 wood, more than likely a Tensi since I have a good experience with it. At the original $49, plus the cost of a new shaft, I still better off than getting a new 5 wood. 

• Like 4

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

Why not? 

Because. 

• Haha 1

Thinking of buying components to make a set. Someone selling ptd pro iron heads for good price and found a set of $-taper on eBay for a good price. Hmmm

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35" (Backup: :1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

Ball:  :titelist-small: proV1  (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot, :Snell:MTB-X, :OnCore:Vero X1, :callaway-small:CS X LS)

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Thinking of buying components to make a set. Someone selling ptd pro iron heads for good price and found a set of $-taper on eBay for a good price. Hmmm

You going to build it?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

So I am only slightly thinking about wedges.  🤫  I use Cleveland Tour Action 588's from waaay back and have used a grinder to get some personal heel relief along with a 2* flat bend.  They are 49*, 53* & 57*.  The 49 & 53 may be a little strong by about 1* as my flattening bending action may have been a little crooked. 

As I begin my winter time browsing, does anyone have any suggestions on a similar style blade that has some built in heel relief do I don't have to grind away on new $$$ wedges?  

IMG_20220116_084155303_HDR.jpg.328ba8766c608ff1a4d1b8054440ad41.jpg

• Like 2

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Still thinking about a Hy-Wood to replace my 4w/HeavenWood combo. Might make it a reality this week.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 6:05 AM, russtopherb said:

Still thinking about a Hy-Wood to replace my 4w/HeavenWood combo. Might make it a reality this week.

Let me know what you think.  I may try one in Palm Springs the next couple of weeks.  I'm currently playing a Wilson D300 17º hybrid and a Titleist TS2 16.5 FW.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just now, Kenny B said:

Let me know what you think.  I may try one in Palm Springs the next couple of weeks.  I'm currently playing a Wilson D300 17º hybrid and a Titleist TS2 16.5 FW.  

Will do. My plan is to swing by PGA SS outside of Boston on Wednesday after I bring my daughter back to her campus to try it out on the monitor and see if it’s any better than my Heavenwood. I figure I only pull my fairway once every other round or three, best to replace both clubs with one I can hit better off the turf and the tee. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

Will do. My plan is to swing by PGA SS outside of Boston on Wednesday after I bring my daughter back to her campus to try it out on the monitor and see if it’s any better than my Heavenwood. I figure I only pull my fairway once every other round or three, best to replace both clubs with one I can hit better off the turf and the tee. 

Exactly what I want, although I rarely hit either off the tee.  I will determine which club to use off the fairway based on the lie.  The 2H is much more reliable, but if the lie is flat or slightly uphill, I'll pull the 4W.  Many uneven lies in our fairways, so it doesn't get a lot of use.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I guess new driver is now on the think about list.    Completed all my driver sessions for most wanted and then hit some balls with my gamer.  Ball striking is really off but I think I got some good information.  

Current driver swing speed was in the 105ish range with ball speeds in the 148-150 range.  This is was I was seeing with the majority of the drivers that I was testing.  

Picked up one of the Callaway drivers and swing speed was up a couple of MPH and ball speed was in the 155-158 range.  

Next step is 1.  working on ball striking with driver  2. picking out a new driver 3. getting back to swing speed training;  haven't done it in a while and have lost quite a few MPH of speed.

I'm always weary of the swing speed readings with the different heads.... but you can't deny some ball speed increases like that!  Sounds like a match!

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

I guess new driver is now on the think about list.    Completed all my driver sessions for most wanted and then hit some balls with my gamer.  Ball striking is really off but I think I got some good information.  

Current driver swing speed was in the 105ish range with ball speeds in the 148-150 range.  This is was I was seeing with the majority of the drivers that I was testing.  

Picked up one of the Callaway drivers and swing speed was up a couple of MPH and ball speed was in the 155-158 range.  

Next step is 1.  working on ball striking with driver  2. picking out a new driver 3. getting back to swing speed training;  haven't done it in a while and have lost quite a few MPH of speed.

Can't wait for the Most Wanted this year, given all the hype surrounding Stealth.  Interesting to see that at the end of the day it was the Callaway that suit you best.

I've thought about a new driver but I think I'm going to get another season out of my Honma TR20...high on forgiveness which is what I need, even if there are some better sticks for ball speed out there.

• Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

13 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Can't wait for the Most Wanted this year, given all the hype surrounding Stealth.  Interesting to see that at the end of the day it was the Callaway that suit you best.

I've thought about a new driver but I think I'm going to get another season out of my Honma TR20...high on forgiveness which is what I need, even if there are some better sticks for ball speed out there.

I was perfectly content with my Ping until I decided to do a head to head comparison.     Callaway, Cobra, and TM are my top three.  Titleist is probably a little farther back in fourth.   Price will be a big factor as will seeing which shafts might work best.   

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well, now that my elbow is playing nice.  Still only about 60-70% strength… but we are getting there.  Pain is 1/4 of what it was even a week ago. 

I think those T22 Denim Copper wedges are calling my name again.

Definitely need a new bag too. Not sure which one yet though.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Well, now that my elbow is playing nice.  Still only about 60-70% strength… but we are getting there.  Pain is 1/4 of what it was even a week ago. 

I think those T22 Denim Copper wedges are calling my name again.

Definitely need a new bag too. Not sure which one yet though.

Mizuno wedges are seriously underrated.

I have heard that they don't hold up to Vokey's in terms of durability though.  In other words, 50 rounds later a Vokey will retain more spin than Mizuno.  I have NO way to know if that's true or not, just an observation from some retail guys at my local GolfUSA that I do trust.

• Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Mizuno wedges are seriously underrated.

I have heard that they don't hold up to Vokey's in terms of durability though.  In other words, 50 rounds later a Vokey will retain more spin than Mizuno.  I have NO way to know if that's true or not, just an observation from some retail guys at my local GolfUSA that I do trust.

They are forged, so I would expect that.  I just can’t stand the shape of Vokey wedges, not sure what it is but I don’t like mine at all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

They are forged, so I would expect that.  I just can’t stand the shape of Vokey wedges, not sure what it is but I don’t like mine at all.

... Not so much forged but more the 1025 soft carbon steel. My MP-20 did not fare well in the desert where the ground is hard and often a little rocky, especially just beneath the surface. While my Vokeys got nicked up a little my Mizuno was gouged, dented and scratched up very quickly. Not a problem back in the soft midwest conditions but here in Phoenix they are No Bueno. So far my MG3's are holding up very well which is a nice surprise. 

• Like 5

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-MT SR 
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec/4i FTx ... KBS TGi 85S
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21