Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What equipment are you thinking about?

null

As someone who played a lot as a kid and then very little for 30 years, I'm now on golf overload as my daughters are showing interest combined with me discovering launch monitors and golf sim. I'm sore today from hitting too many balls, but more so from cutting up my stance mat in order to put in softer hitting strips. 

As for equipment, my 13 year old lefty daughter only seems to care about the color scheme of her set and I managed to find a left handed Taylor Made spider mini in colors she loves. 

I also found a set of Takomo 101s with senior shafts my dad will be coming over to hit today. 

And next Saturday I'm doing my first club fitting ever to get myself some new irons. So many great looking irons now and I'm open to them all. I have a driver swing speed around 100, and hope to be shooting in the low 80s by spring. I grew up playing forged blades and 20 years ago got a set of Ping i3 oversized. I'm excited to see how the modern irons compare during the fitting. 

20240210_163800.jpg

20240210_182104.jpg

20240207_173522.jpg

Edited by RickM71

Rick

Cobra LTDx driver, Cobra 2018 forged tec irons, Cleveland wedges, Odyssey 2 ball putter 

While I was perusing Golfworks this morning (the things I do when I wake up at 6am on a Sunday), I started digging into the Maltby fairways. I know there are some Maltby gamers here, so I am curious if anybody has tried their fairway offerings. Thanks!

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

I’m looking real hard at a set of AP1 714’s that are in pretty good shape and the price looks pretty good. My question is does anyone have an opinion on them? I’m pretty sure they’re solid as most things Titleist are pretty solid. I have Radspeed irons currently but after one season they’re leaving me with a meh feeling. If I trade them I will probably make out but if I don’t I have 2 righties in the house that can use them in the future. Just looking for input from you all. Thanks Spies

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

On 2/13/2024 at 6:37 PM, Wib081 said:

I’m looking real hard at a set of AP1 714’s that are in pretty good shape and the price looks pretty good. My question is does anyone have an opinion on them? I’m pretty sure they’re solid as most things Titleist are pretty solid. I have Radspeed irons currently but after one season they’re leaving me with a meh feeling. If I trade them I will probably make out but if I don’t I have 2 righties in the house that can use them in the future. Just looking for input from you all. Thanks Spies

Below is some older information on them from MGS

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/titleist-714-irons/

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

5 minutes ago, Wib081 said:

Sweet! Thank you

You may also want to check Google for reviews on these irons, there were many other reviews there, but I have "restricted" internet at work and could not see all of them or add links.

If I recall they were the first Titleist distance irons that had forgiveness also made a priority. 

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

I'm thinking about buying new wedges before the start of the season. The grooves on my current Vokeys are definitely getting very worn down, especially with all the sim practice I've been doing this winter.

The MGS testing on the TaylorMade wedges have my interest, but you also can't go wrong with Vokeys. Might pull the trigger on a set if I can find a good deal somewhere...

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

26 minutes ago, Byrnzee said:

I'm thinking about buying new wedges before the start of the season. The grooves on my current Vokeys are definitely getting very worn down, especially with all the sim practice I've been doing this winter.

The MGS testing on the TaylorMade wedges have my interest, but you also can't go wrong with Vokeys. Might pull the trigger on a set if I can find a good deal somewhere...

After getting used to playing with worn groove wedges, you will be surprised how much zip you will see when you get fitted for new wedges.  Wedge fittings can be a lot of fun too.  There are a ton of different wedges you can try out there. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

Im thinking about purchasing a driving/utility iron. My iron set now goes up to a 5 iron and have some odd gaping issues. I had a 4/5 hybrid as because when I first started golf a couple years ago I didn’t have the ball striking to hit anything above a 5 iron. My 5 iron and hybrid go roughly the same distance now (within 5 yards of each other). I’m thinking I’ll trade in the hybrid as my ball striking is now one of the stronger parts of my game.

I still have a 3H so I’m on the fence about adding a 4i to my set and just going 3H 3W Driver or adding a 17-19 degree driving iron as they are a little easier and more forgiving than a 4 iron. I also like the idea of having a club that can stay low and I can hit off the tee on windy days or narrow courses. 

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

25 minutes ago, William P said:

I'm sure I'll be banned from PGASS for a few weeks' minimum...🤣🤣

As long as you're buying they'll welcome you with open arms!

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

4 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

As long as you're buying they'll welcome you with open arms!

They won't be the ones banning me unfortunately...😆

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

In the VERY SLIM chance that anyone on here has a few of these lying around, I’d love to take a few off your hands. “Neck of the Wape” from BB&F Co.  

IMG_4939.webp.5ee9c946fc598b6f0a9286718ed5fe9e.webp

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Thinking about putting some custom ferrules on my new irons, and on my wedges to match. Also going to change the grips on my wedges just so the colours match the new ones. 

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

Can't get Ping's iron releases out of my head. First, it was the Blueprints, and now I see the G730's everywhere. Not sure if I am ready to bite the bullet on a full set yet, but oh am I close.

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

I've been away for a bit. Still top 4 poster in this thread though lol.

Going for a Vokey SM10 wedge fitting on Saturday. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I've been away for a bit. Still top 4 poster in this thread though lol.

Going for a Vokey SM10 wedge fitting on Saturday. 

Have you been a Vokey guy before or first time getting fit for them? What do you think you’ll end up in?

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Just now, GolfSpy BOS said:

Have you been a Vokey guy before or first time getting fit for them? What do you think you’ll end up in?

I have played a lot of different wedges: Vokeys, Ping Glide, Mizunos, Tayloremade for a short time, Cleveland, Edel. Just about every major brand lol. 

I was fit only for the Edel, those were off a mat, and primarily focused on full swing. For the Vokeys, I'm keeping an open mind, not sure what I will fit into. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

I have played a lot of different wedges: Vokeys, Ping Glide, Mizunos, Tayloremade for a short time, Cleveland, Edel. Just about every major brand lol. 

I was fit only for the Edel, those were off a mat, and primarily focused on full swing. For the Vokeys, I'm keeping an open mind, not sure what I will fit into. 

Cool, can’t wait to see you find out! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I’m looking at possibly changing my wedges and fairways. Loved my Vokey SM9 58* T grind for most of last year, but swing changes have me coming in a bit steeper with the wedges. I’m finding the T grind a bit too demanding lately. I’m either scooping or topping the thing. Also want to possibly edit my 3HL/5W/7W combo at the top of the bag. I really think I can cover the distances needed with 2 fairway woods rather than three if properly fitted. I plan on going to Club Champion in the upcoming weeks to get everything dialed in for the upcoming season, and I’ll also be checking the gapping on my irons while there. It’ll be the first time I’ve been properly fitted and I’m really looking forward to it!

LW- MG4 58* (60* bent strong)

SW- MG4 54* (56* bent strong)

GW- MG4 50*

4-PW - Paradise P-1 Prototype

3 Hybrid- PXG Black OPS

3W- Taylormade Stealth 2 HL

Driver- PXG Black OPS 9*

Putter- L.A.B. DF 2.1 Armlock

I’m thinking about getting a pair of Jordan Low G golf shoes.  I’ve worn Foot joy mostly, pro SL.  I’ve had a pair of foot joy for 4 years and a pair of Ecco for 2 years. I wouldn’t mind having another pair to wear around.  

I wear Jordan Lows as my kick around sneaker.  I think it’s time to make the switch.

🙃

15 hours ago, TSauer said:

In the VERY SLIM chance that anyone on here has a few of these lying around, I’d love to take a few off your hands. “Neck of the Wape” from BB&F Co.  

IMG_4939.webp.5ee9c946fc598b6f0a9286718ed5fe9e.webp

Update on this... Paige emailed me back and they had a few extra they're going to send my way. Woo! If anyone is looking for a design that is no longer available on their site, definitely send them an email.

Now, time to deal hunt for some black shafts.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

1 hour ago, Owengeorge13 said:

I’m thinking about getting a pair of Jordan Low G golf shoes.  I’ve worn Foot joy mostly, pro SL.  I’ve had a pair of foot joy for 4 years and a pair of Ecco for 2 years. I wouldn’t mind having another pair to wear around.  

I wear Jordan Lows as my kick around sneaker.  I think it’s time to make the switch.

The Jordan 1 Low G is one that I always look at but have never actually bit the bullet on.  I have too many golf shoes that I either need to retire or just sell. If I buy another pair the boss lady might lose her mind 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I have been wanting a new 3 wood for a while and was in my local PGASS and they had all their demo Paradym woods on sale.  Same pricing that you can find them on CPO.  Picked up the TD 3 wood and after trade was under $150. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

I have been wanting a new 3 wood for a while and was in my local PGASS and they had all their demo Paradym woods on sale.  Same pricing that you can find them on CPO.  Picked up the TD 3 wood and after trade was under $150. 

I hope you don't get a time out like I did...🤣

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

1 minute ago, William P said:

I hope you don't get a time out like I did...🤣

Haha. I don't hold on to much and try to trade out anything I am not using. Not to mention we just installed a hot tub so I have a little grace currently. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

15 hours ago, dlow206 said:

This is the most expected response. @GolfSpy BOS you should have known this one before you asked it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

10 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

This is the most expected response. @GolfSpy BOS you should have known this one before you asked it.

hey now... I know @dlow206 has played a lot of different clubs, but who's to say this isn't his first Vokey!?

Thinking about trying a new driver shaft.  Favorite shaft I have had so far is Oban Purple.  Currently playing the Oban HB but thinking its time for a change.

Thinking maybe Ventus..

Edited by poprocksncoke

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo