What equipment are you thinking about?

jlukes

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Time for a new driver. Got fitted for a TSi1 last spring. Do I pull the trigger or now test out the new models from other manufacturers since Titleist is still a year away from a new release?

... It all depends on what your parameters are. I figure at 68 every day is a gift and I am loathe to miss out on any performance boost. That said, I had a Sim Max and upgraded to the Sim2 Max because it was "more forgiving". After playing it awhile I have found little if any difference so I could have stayed with the original Sim Max. I will of course hit the Stealth and every other driver to see if something just clicks for my swing, but it is doubtful although you don't know unless you try. Blindly claiming drivers are maxed out and really no difference is short changing yourself. In my last full bag fitting I was hoping to fine tune my driver shaft and had no plans on using anything other than my Cobra SZ. Turned out I needed about 300rpm more spin and the Sim Max gave me about 5-7 more yards but most importantly it was more consistent because I was producing optimal spin for my swing speed. 

... Of course money is a factor too. Many tests have shown the Stealth to be very similar to the Sim2 so with the Sim2 on sale you can save some cash. But if I were upgrading from an older driver I would make the leap into carbon fiber drivers but the Stealth is $579, the Sim2 is $449 and the Sim is $399 so whatever your budget can handle or in Rick and friends case whatever SWMBO will allow. Since TSi1 is not being discounted I would think you probably want to hit everything before buying a new one. How often you play is obviously another big factor as a once a week golfer might be more reluctant to spend $500+ for a driver than someone that plays 3-5 times a week. 

... I have a fitting for a Rogue next week during the demo days that reps have all over the place in Phoenix. You get to hit new clubs at a range with a plethora of shafts for free and most times the reps are not pushy at all, just helpful. I am really looking forward to hitting the new Cobra LTDx and would love to get back into a Cobra driver but in the end it is what performs best for my swing so I will go to a Tour Edge demo or anyone else if they have one. Then when I dial in a driver (or keep my Sim2) I will spend the $125 for a Shaft Only fitting at True Spec to find the perfect matching shaft. You probably won't have access to demo days til Spring but it is a benefit many do not take advantage of. 

• Like 1

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It all depends on what your parameters are. I figure at 68 every day is a gift and I am loathe to miss out on any performance boost. That said, I had a Sim Max and upgraded to the Sim2 Max because it was "more forgiving". After playing it awhile I have found little if any difference so I could have stayed with the original Sim Max. I will of course hit the Stealth and every other driver to see if something just clicks for my swing, but it is doubtful although you don't know unless you try. Blindly claiming drivers are maxed out and really no difference is short changing yourself. In my last full bag fitting I was hoping to fine tune my driver shaft and had no plans on using anything other than my Cobra SZ. Turned out I needed about 300rpm more spin and the Sim Max gave me about 5-7 more yards but most importantly it was more consistent because I was producing optimal spin for my swing speed. 

... Of course money is a factor too. Many tests have shown the Stealth to be very similar to the Sim2 so with the Sim2 on sale you can save some cash. But if I were upgrading from an older driver I would make the leap into carbon fiber drivers but the Stealth is $579, the Sim2 is $449 and the Sim is $399 so whatever your budget can handle or in Rick and friends case whatever SWIMBO will allow. Since TSi1 is not being discounted I would think you probably want to hit everything before buying a new one. How often you play is obviously another big factor as a once a week golfer might be more reluctant to spend $500+ for a driver than someone that plays 3-5 times a week. 

... I have a fitting for a Rogue next week during the demo days that reps have all over the place in Phoenix. You get to hit new clubs at a range with a plethora of shafts for free and most times the reps are not pushy at all, just helpful. I am really looking forward to hitting the new Cobra LTDx and would love to get back into a Cobra driver but in the end it is what performs best for my swing so I will go to a Tour Edge demo or anyone else if they have one. Then when I dial in a driver (or keep my Sim2) I will spend the $125 for a Shaft Only fitting at True Spec to find the perfect matching shaft. You probably won't have access to demo days til Spring but it is a benefit many do not take advantage of. 

Tour Edge equipment has my attention.  The hybrids I bought last week are legit. I’m looking at irons this year and Tour Edge are on the short list.  The TSI2 driver is going to stay in the bag for a few more years.

• Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Of course money is a factor too. Many tests have shown the Stealth to be very similar to the Sim2 so with the Sim2 on sale you can save some cash. But if I were upgrading from an older driver I would make the leap into carbon fiber drivers but the Stealth is $579, the Sim2 is $449 and the Sim is $399 so whatever your budget can handle or in Rick and friends case whatever SWIMBO will allow. Since TSi1 is not being discounted I would think you probably want to hit everything before buying a new one. How often you play is obviously another big factor as a once a week golfer might be more reluctant to spend $500+ for a driver than someone that plays 3-5 times a week. 

I'm a demo day guy. I prefer to see outside results with numbers. I tried all the current models that were avaliable last spring. The TSi1 with their standard Aldila Ascent 40 in stiff flex out performed the other OEM's that were there. But out of the OEMs present TaylorMade wasn't there. So I was sold on the Titleist and socked away the cash. So now that I have it, of course there are more options. My clubs demo day is in May. So it will be awhile. But I should be able to hit something next week while up in Kansas City to get a feel. My G400 still works well but I know there is something that will get me just a little more distance. I am very accurate with the driver so if my dispersion changes I'm not changing. The TSi1 was as consistent so thats my base point. I was always a TaylorMade guy until the G400. 

I'm in a remote location where I live and there aren't any big golf stores or fitters close by. 

• Like 3

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

15 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Tour Edge equipment has my attention.  The hybrids I bought last week are legit. I’m looking at irons this year and Tour Edge are on the short list.  The TSI2 driver is going to stay in the bag for a few more years.

The driver last year got a lot of rave reviews. I’ll be interested to see what their irons look like as well. The E721 irons supposedly were incredibly easy to hit. 

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

9 minutes ago, Rickp said:

... Tour Edge makes some great stuff! I remember when David started out literally making clubs in his garage and exclusively sold in the Chicago area, offering only an "Iron Wood" that was waaaaaaaay before it's time. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203819551061?hash=item2f74978955:g:KfkAAOSwR6lhbJ0D

• Like 3

On 2/6/2022 at 1:49 PM, Rickp said:

What TE hybrids did you get?  I'm considering the C721 17º to replace my W/S 2H

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

What TE hybrids did you get?  I'm considering the C721 17º to replace my W/S 2H

Tour Edge #4, #5 & #6 HL4 LH.  Got them from Rock Bottom Golf $60.00.

only hit 4&5 couple times and felt OK. 

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Tour Edge #4, #5 & #6 HL4 LH.  Got them from Rock Bottom Golf $60.00.

only hit 4&5 couple times and felt OK. 

Played 6 holes this morning B4 rain started.  Hit the 6 hybrid twice and like it.  Never had the 6h B4 but figure with my age may need to start using hybrids more.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

Perhaps wedges at some point this year. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

I’m debating a triple diamond because they have never made in lefty before and I’ve never had a callaway driver. I want to test it first but might just pull the trigger. I don’t expect much gains in distance but if it helps with fairways and dispersion I am all in. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black 6TX 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Accra RPZ Tour 472 M5+

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 23 Ventus Blue 10X

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW Modus 130X :titelist-small: T100 4 iron Modus 130X 

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12, 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge/60.10 LAGP L Series 120 Wedge 

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1 

Today I'm actually thinking about irons.  Not that I think I need to replace them, but when I updated my player profile I pulled up my Arccos stats and Approach play is my worst strokes gained at -3.7 strokes, almost a stroke and a half worse than my Short game and 2 strokes worse than Driving.  

Now part of me says this is because of some punch out style shots or being blocked out from really getting to a green on approach.  But maybe I'm wrong.  The Forged Tec irons feel great to me, and I have nearly even spacing between clubs.  But maybe something is off.  I'm losing 2.5 of those 3.7 strokes from 100-200 yards, so I know I can improve there.  Also I'm worse from the fairway than the rough, so my earlier statement may be null and void.  

The main culprit seems to be that I'm short of the green 38% of the time compared to hitting the green 39% of the time.  I am only left or right about 10% of the time each, and long only 4%.  So it would seem that I need to take more club.

I'm going to go in this season playing for an extra half a club and take note if I seem to be coming up short because of mishits or on good shots too.  Perhaps I need more forgiveness on there? Time will tell!

• Like 6

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

The main culprit seems to be that I'm short of the green 38% of the time compared to hitting the green 39% of the time.  I am only left or right about 10% of the time each, and long only 4%.  So it would seem that I need to take more club.

I'm going to go in this season playing for an extra half a club and take note if I seem to be coming up short because of mishits or on good shots too.

... Not that you asked but I would suggest a full club more. 🤪 Consider on tour they are long 50% and short 50% when they are not pin high. I think you always have to risk being past the pin to both feel confident and not over swing which almost guarantees poor contact and coming up short. Most are pleasantly surprised when they use more club once they get past any ego involved. I like to think of it this way, if the green has water in front like the 17th at Sawgrass and assuming long is safe, what iron would you be hitting to make sure you are taking the water out of play? That is the iron you should use on every approach shot. 

• Like 4

... I would also suggest charting what irons you use on every hole. Not distance or dispersion, just what iron you used. Most are shocked at how few iron shots they use in any given round. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Not that you asked but I would suggest a full club more. 🤪 Consider on tour they are long 50% and short 50% when they are not pin high. I think you always have to risk being past the pin to both feel confident and not over swing which almost guarantees poor contact and coming up short. Most are pleasantly surprised when they use more club once they get past any ego involved. I like to think of it this way, if the green has water in front like the 17th at Sawgrass and assuming long is safe, what iron would you be hitting to make sure you are taking the water out of play? That is the iron you should use on every approach shot. 

You're probably right, I can already think of a lot of holes that I play where being past the green is not a pretty situation (including one 20 foot high fence because of the street) and a lot of lightning fast downhill putts if you're past the hole.

In the middle of the summer I played a lot of "don't go past" this yardage on holes where I didn't need to since I was used to that with those tricky holes.  I probably was coming up short more than I realized.  Time to change that mentality and let my putting (strongest SG for me) speak for itself.  🤔

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

I don't know how serious I am about it, but I may have to go try out the Mizuno Pro 225's. I was going to wait for the JPX923 Forged to come out, but maybe not...

I'm also itching to replace my Mizuno CLK 3h (because the crown is dented - drives me nuts!!!), maybe with a Titleist TSi2 3h. Only reason I haven't is doubts about which shaft to get in it.

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

Probably blind buying stealth 3hl with ventus red veolocore

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

... One fitting down, 2 to go. Had a Callaway driver fitting and while I have ruled out the Rogue ST I finally found a fitter with Ventus Velocore Red/Blue that had r-flex demo shafts. Happy to say they did not perform any better than my Tensei Raw Blue. Not so happy to say I fell in love with the Graphite Design IZ 6 in SR flex right between r and s flex. Just super consistent and produced my longest drives. If none of the new drivers prove to be better than my Sim2 Max I will be looking for one of these shafts and of course they ain't cheap. 

... Fitter asked me how far I hit my driver and I said probably around 240. Taking into account we were using range balls I at least was able to compare apples to manzanas with my driver and I was averaging around 255 and my longest drives were 265 so my guys says "You are one of the first to come in for a driver fitting that hits it longer than they tell me so good on ya, but it could very well be the Rogue ST and a perfect shaft match too". Hahaha perfect demo guy, a compliment rolled into a subtle sales pitch. 🤪

... Stealth and LTDx next. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Got fitted for Stealth irons after work, and placed my order. 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: Stealth + 9*

:taylormade-small: Stealth + 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth + 5 wood

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 4i/AW

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50/10 54/10 58/8                   

:taylormade-small: GT Spider 

:taylormade-small: TP5X 21/22

Tour Edge Exotics C721 hybrid was MGS Most Wanted last year.  Thinking about trying a 17º out to replace my W/S D300 17º.  If I don't like it within 30 days, I can return it at no charge.  By then, the 722 models will be out.

I can't try it out locally, so this option seems like a good choice.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I got a real itch to pick up a TM Stealth plus driver to play around with on the simulator this winter.  I’d have already bought one if I could find one in stock with the RDX 5.5 or 6.0 instead of 6.5. 

• Like 3

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip