What equipment are you thinking about?

jlukes

Golf balls. I am starting to run low and with my recent rash of bad play, it's about time to restock. I normally play the TaylorMade TP5 Pix practice balls, but am seriously considering trying either the MaxFli Tour or X. At 2/$60 right now it's kind of a hard deal to pass up. Plus, there have been several glowing reviews of them on here. 

Don't know which to get, though. I'm almost considering a box of each and doing  a comparison. 

• Like 6

I just got fitted yesterday for the first time. Looking to update my irons. Looks like I am going to go with some Mizuno irons. They flew the lowest for me and that is what I need as I hit the ball too high usually. I actually can’t remember the model irons they were, but my instructor is getting with the Mizuno rep next week to set me up! 

• Like 3

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

8 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Golf balls. I am starting to run low and with my recent rash of bad play, it's about time to restock. I normally play the TaylorMade TP5 Pix practice balls, but am seriously considering trying either the MaxFli Tour or X. At 2/$60 right now it's kind of a hard deal to pass up. Plus, there have been several glowing reviews of them on here. 

Don't know which to get, though. I'm almost considering a box of each and doing  a comparison. 

I would suggest the tour based on your game. It will have a little less spin and should help a bit more than the X to keep the ball in the short grass. 

• Like 7

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

26 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I would suggest the tour based on your game. It will have a little less spin and should help a bit more than the X to keep the ball in the short grass. 

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks Tom!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks Tom!

No problem. Next time we get to play a round together I'll give you a sleeve of the X's to try. Believe it or not, out of the dozen of each that I was given for testing only one was lost. I have had the tours in play since testing ended. I did switch to yellow once the fairways went dormant. Still have all of those too. 

• Like 3

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

On 2/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, Middler said:

I don't know how serious I am about it, but I may have to go try out the Mizuno Pro 225's. I was going to wait for the JPX923 Forged to come out, but maybe not...

I'm also itching to replace my Mizuno CLK 3h (because the crown is dented - drives me nuts!!!), maybe with a Titleist TSi2 3h. Only reason I haven't is doubts about which shaft to get in it.

I went and hit the 225’s today, that was a mistake. Now I’m trying to talk myself out of buying a set. They felt about the same as my 900F’s, and went 2 yards further (1* stronger), very slightly tighter dispersion, same spin, launch angle, descent angle, ball speed, peak height. If I buy it’ll be because I prefer the blade look and just having something shiny and new - I know perfectly well it won’t change my scoring one bit… 😊

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

No problem. Next time we get to play a round together I'll give you a sleeve of the X's to try. Believe it or not, out of the dozen of each that I was given for testing only one was lost. I have had the tours in play since testing ended. I did switch to yellow once the fairways went dormant. Still have all of those too. 

I appreciate it, Tom. I can believe you've still got all but one of them as well as you hit the ball, just absolutely laser straight. 

I'll give the Tours a try and I hope DSG had some in the yellow, I've been wanting to try a @Yellow Ball for some time. They'll be easier to find when I hit them in the drink. I'll probably be able to follow the bubbles from the scuba gear. 

• Like 1

Mizuno 223’s and the Srixon divide XV. 

I have a fitting this Wednesday to see if these irons are good enough to boot my Hogans. 

The XV divide just intrigue me. I felt underwhelmed by the TP5 last year and want to try something completely different. 

• Like 6
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ.1 LAGolf P135 
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

Thinking about picking up a Srixon Zx5 driver in a reg shaft, so I have 4 options to work through (Zx7 and Zx5 with interchangeable reg and stiff shafts - riptide 50)  I have tested both heads, and they give me great results... I would like to have the option to pick my trajectory depending on the conditions.  

• Like 1

Official MGS Tester: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 115 shafts (<--- Click Here)

• Titleist TSi3 9* (@ 10.5*) Driver
  • Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Titleist 2021 T200 6-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour

21 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Thinking about picking up a Srixon Zx5 driver in a reg shaft, so I have 4 options to work through (Zx7 and Zx5 with interchangeable reg and stiff shafts - riptide 50)  I have tested both heads, and they give me great results... I would like to have the option to pick my trajectory depending on the conditions.  

... At my Callaway fitting a few days ago I was hitting my driver around 255-265 which is normally a stiff flex but I have a smooth transition and build speed through a late release and the R/SR flex worked best for me. Fitter said you can easily handle an S-flex but when I had you hit one, on the second/third swings I could tell you went at it a little harder because you didn't get that familiar kick with your first swing, so lets stick with SR or R (depending on the shaft). We talked about his experiences and he agreed it is an art/science combo and he has fit players that drive the ball 220 into an x-flex because they have a much more "violent" swing. As the saying goes, it isn't how fast you swing it is how you swing fast that counts in shaft selection. If you can honestly swing the same shaft in R or S without changing your swing, it sounds like an interesting option. 👍

• Like 5

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... At my Callaway fitting a few days ago I was hitting my driver around 255-265 which is normally a stiff flex but I have a smooth transition and build speed through a late release and the R/SR flex worked best for me. Fitter said you can easily handle an S-flex but when I had you hit one, on the second/third swings I could tell you went at it a little harder because you didn't get that familiar kick with your first swing, so lets stick with SR or R (depending on the shaft). We talked about his experiences and he agreed it is an art/science combo and he has fit players that drive the ball 220 into an x-flex because they have a much more "violent" swing. As the saying goes, it isn't how fast you swing it is how you swing fast that counts in shaft selection. If you can honestly swing the same shaft in R or S without changing your swing, it sounds like an interesting option. 👍

That is interesting.  I definitely don't have a violent swing, a pretty smooth transition, but not Ernie smooth.   I would like to say that I build speed through a late release... but my biggest swing flaw is building speed in an early release... haha. 

I can hit the stiff, but I can feel the kick with the regular (as you described).  I was getting a little better launch numbers with the regular, but better dispersion with the stiff when I tested.  That may be "in the moment" and need more time with the regular to groove it for more control over it.  Not to mention the difference between one shaft model to the next.  I really like the way the Evenflow Riptide 50 feels, works well for my transition.  I tested into a regular when I was last fitted, so I told myself the next driver I buy will be in the regular shaft.... I already have the stiff shaft, so I thought... as long as I'm getting a new shaft, might as well increase my options with the sibling head :).  One of the combo's may be up for sale on the classifieds section after I do some multi-round testing.  Bottom line, I subscribe to the belief that you should swing the softest shaft you can control.  The days of thinking I can play tour XS shafts are LONG gone :).  

Plus, while I'm on the injured reserve, I have all kinds of time to think about things like this. 😉

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Like 1

• Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Maxfli Tour

2 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I can hit the stiff, but I can feel the kick with the regular (as you described).  I was getting a little better launch numbers with the regular, but better dispersion with the stiff when I tested.  That may be "in the moment" and need more time with the regular to groove it for more control over it. I really like the way the Evenflow Riptide 50 feels, works well for my transition.  I tested into a regular when I was last fitted, so I told myself the next driver I buy will be in the regular shaft.... I already have the stiff shaft, so I thought... as long as I'm getting a new shaft, might as well increase my options with the sibling head :).  One of the combo's may be up for sale on the classifieds section after I do some multi-round testing.  Bottom line, I subscribe to the belief that you should swing the softest shaft you can control.

... I understand and agree a fitting is the best way to find the right shaft but always felt it was a flawed process for most. You get one swing with your driver on a golf course but during a fitting you get to groove a swing and compensate for both equipment and your last swing. I have been fit into clubs and shafts that worked great on the range but not so much on the course. It didn't take me too many years of demo day and reviewing clubs/shafts to agree with you that most should swing the softest shaft they can control and would add the most forgiving combo of head and shaft as well. If you spray it some but dial it in on the range compared to a combo you hit a little shorter but really well from the very first swing, always go with the one you hit well immediately. I do think multi round testing is the best way to find the right driver and or shaft ... if you have that option. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, chisag said:

I do think multi round testing is the best way to find the right driver and or shaft ... if you have that option. 

Well, not the most cost effective way to do it... but purchasing both gives me that option.  As always, well said chisag.  I really don't care for testing clubs anywhere but on the course under playing conditions... you just never know until you are looking down the fairway how the club performs for you.  I think most of us have played enough at our home course to notice the nuances of difference from our gamers and anything new we bring to the table.  It would be nice if there was more opportunity to get out and play the clubs.  Some places offer a 30 day trial for used clubs, which I have used before... but hard to get that on the newest models though.  sounds like an entrepreneurial opportunity 🙂

• Like 1

• Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Maxfli Tour

New driver just because. Tax return season?!

Why am I like this?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

14 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Some places offer a 30 day trial for used clubs, which I have used before.

... One of the reasons I love the PGA SS 90 day playability guarantee. If you don't like it, bring it back inside of 90 days and get a full credit toward another club. I have taken advantage of the 90 day return for a shaft change which enabled me to take a chance on a shaft I was not sure of and I told then this upfront and they were happy to let me try it and then do the exchange. 

• Like 4

Ventus TR. digging the black but wanting a little more launch. Might be the ticket

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

My Reviews:

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer lite

I want a new bag. Trying to hold out to see if BagBoy or Ogio are releasing any new stand bags.

• Like 2

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

Definitely thinking about a new driver this year. Last year I was fitted at CC for a Sim 2 and picked up about 15 yds with their custom shaft - however the 800+ price tag was too much. I'm somewhat intrigued by the new LTDX Max.  My 410 SFT has served me well but time to change it up a bit. 

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 2/13/2022 at 10:03 PM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Ventus TR. digging the black but wanting a little more launch. Might be the ticket

I’m trying to talk myself out of ordering the TR. reading the reviews and the comparisons to blue and black (I’ve played both) make it seem like a great balance between the two. 

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black 6TX 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Accra RPZ Tour 472 M5+

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 23 Ventus Blue 10X

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW Modus 130X :titelist-small: T100 4 iron Modus 130X 

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12, 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge/60.10 LAGP L Series 120 Wedge 

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1 

38 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Definitely thinking about a new driver this year. Last year I was fitted at CC for a Sim 2 and picked up about 15 yds with their custom shaft - however the 800+ price tag was too much. I'm somewhat intrigued by the new LTDX Max.  My 410 SFT has served me well but time to change it up a bit. 

I’m still thinking driver as well;  a few of this years models are out performing my 400 max.   But I am not hitting the driver well so I am trying to determine if it is better to fix the swing and test the drivers again or just buy a new driver…….

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :mizuno-small: T20 54-8  :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG