What equipment are you thinking about?

Golfspy_Lukes

I always try to remind myself that you can't "buy a better golf game" and I normally mean through equipment. Too often that equipment change is trying to compensate for some flaw in a movement pattern. But, alas, I still buy equipment with this in mind whether it be "forgiveness" or "tech" or some other advancement that is going to magically fix me.

Along those lines, I have gone deep down the well looking at L.A.B golf putters. Read the reviews here and other places and it makes sense, if I can make it work for me. I have to be realistic that there is no putter out there that magically makes every 6 footer or ensures you never 3 putt again. But, I do have trouble with a loopy putter stroke and often lose face control with my putting stroke. Putting is so frustrating because it feels like it should be easy but the margins between a good putt (usually a make) and a bad putt (a miss) are so binary, especially within 5-6 feet. If I could get out of my head a bit and just move the putter, that would be fantastic. 

So I am now deep in the LAB game. The putters seem like they are an expensive experiment, though I would certainly pay driver prices for a putter that was "better' but other than going to Club Champion and paying $150 for a putter fitting I have no way to try it out. Even then, it seems you need a good bit of time with these, in some cases, to get comfortable. I guess all I need is a hot putting round and these thoughts go away for a while? 

Edited by vandyland
  • Like 3

Nike Sumo 13* Driver - Pinhawk 20* OL Hybrid - PTxPro 5-PW - Equalizer II Wedges - LAB Golf DF 2.1 Putter

1 minute ago, vandyland said:

I always try to remind myself that you can't "buy a better golf game" and I normally mean through equipment. Too often that equipment change is trying to compensate for some flaw in a movement pattern. But, alas, I still buy equipment with this in mind whether it be "forgiveness" or "tech" or some other advancement that is going to magically fix me.

... True and if you have been fit for your clubs, finding something new that will produce a better game is probably just not going to happen. That said, while there is no magic fix a new look or a different feel and sometimes just something new can rekindle your quest to get better. As the saying goes "It isn't the arrow, it is the Native American" but only true if the Native American has proper arrows to begin with. 

5 minutes ago, vandyland said:

I have to be realistic that there is no putter out there that magically makes every 6 footer or ensures you never 3 putt again. But, I do have trouble with a loopy putter stroke and often lose face control with my putting stroke. Putting is so frustrating because it feels like it should be easy but the margins between a good putt (usually a make) and a bad putt (a miss) are so binary, especially within 5-6 feet. If I could get out of my head a bit and just move the putter, that would be fantastic. 

... And I would make the argument putting IS easy but we make it complicated either by over analysis or scar tissue. I have 100% confidence in my putting and I always think I can make every putt I face regardless of distance or slope. Of course I don', but by having a positive attitude I usually leave myself a tap in when I miss and I make my share. Every now and then playing a new course with different type grass or silly mounding/slopes I have a hard time reading putts and that can lead to a loss in confidence and my putting suffers. To be honest I would probably quit the game if I had that negative attitude  for every round because it is brutal to try and putt that way. So yea if I could offer some advice, get out of your head and start thinking you are going to make every putt. It will take some re-training but it is really a game changer for most. 

• Like 5

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

8 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Along those lines, I have gone deep down the well looking at L.A.B golf putters. Read the reviews here and other places and it makes sense, if I can make it work for me. I have to be realistic that there is no putter out there that magically makes every 6 footer or ensures you never 3 putt again. But, I do have trouble with a loopy putter stroke and often lose face control with my putting stroke. Putting is so frustrating because it feels like it should be easy but the margins between a good putt (usually a make) and a bad putt (a miss) are so binary, especially within 5-6 feet. If I could get out of my head a bit and just move the putter, that would be fantastic. 

So I deep in the LAB game. The putters are an expensive experiment, though I would certainly pay driver prices for a putter that was "better' but other than going to Club Champion and paying $150 for a putter fitting I have no way to try it out. Even then, it seems you need a good bit of time with these, in some cases, to get comfortable. I guess all I need is a hot putting round and these thoughts go away for a while? 

Very good points you've made about equipment. However, sometimes spending some money on new equipment can pay off. I was recently struggling mightily with the flat stick and felt it was time for a change. I took a chance going with something radically different and without the benefit being able to try it out first-hand. I had been using a 38" Yes! Sara Mid for quite a few years (it was also something I took a chance on buying through eBay) and decided to buy a 35" Sub 70 Sycamore 003 Mallet putter with a Kotahi grip. This unique grip intrigued me because it's designed to take the hands out of the stroke (definitely a problem with me). The putter I bought was face-balanced which I believed would help me keep better control the face angle at impact. And finally, I was confident that the shorter length would put my hands a bit closer to where the ball is which should also make it easier for me to control (even though I'm quite tall, I've adjusted my stance to compensate).

Anyway, this experiment of mine has proven to be huge success. My putting confidence is so much greater than it was a few months ago and those 5-6 footers are becoming nearly automatic as opposed to the knee-knockers they were before. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eat My Divots said:

Kotahi grip.

Just looked it up, I have never seen that grip before! I try to get my hands "under" a bit as well to keep them out of the stroke and I play a Seemore FGP putter which is face balanced and center shafted. It works better for me than my old ping anser but I still get wonky with it (and that would be true with any putter I'm sure). Mainly, it is just more fun when you look forward to putting rather than dreading it so I need to find something that will get me there that (hopefully) doesn't involve a $500 putter purchase. 

Nike Sumo 13* Driver - Pinhawk 20* OL Hybrid - PTxPro 5-PW - Equalizer II Wedges - LAB Golf DF 2.1 Putter

12 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Just looked it up, I have never seen that grip before! I try to get my hands "under" a bit as well to keep them out of the stroke and I play a Seemore FGP putter which is face balanced and center shafted. It works better for me than my old ping anser but I still get wonky with it (and that would be true with any putter I'm sure). Mainly, it is just more fun when you look forward to putting rather than dreading it so I need to find something that will get me there that (hopefully) doesn't involve a $500 putter purchase. 

Yeah, those L.A.B. putters look amazing, but there's no way I could justify dropping $450+ for a new putter. This setup I just got cost me about $200 and it's working great for me so I'm happy. Hope you find the right flat stick for yourself without breaking the bank!

• Like 1

Thinking of a putting mirror, the putting sword and short game circles to practice. Anyone else utilize these?

• Like 1

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer lite

My Reviews:

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

9 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Thinking of a putting mirror, the putting sword and short game circles to practice. Anyone else utilize these?

Yes and it shouldn’t be a thought but already a purchase.

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:54 AM, Tiftaaft said:

Intentional, or un-intentional... just curious 😉

Unintentional. I did it while hitting on my Uneekor QED, so I actually have video of it happening. I didn't even catch it heavy, it just snapped as soon as I hit the ball.

• Sad 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 9.5*
Fairway: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 4 & 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: 
th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0317X Gen 2 6 Hybrid
Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 7-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 54* & 58* Smart Sole 4 C
Putter: :ping-small: Heppler Fetch
Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes and it shouldn’t be a thought but already a purchase.

All of the above or something in particular?

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Tour Edge Exotics 3 wood and Bazooka 7 wood

Titleist 21° and Grand Hawk XR3 hybrids

Adams Idea 6-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and SM8 60° wedges

Ray Cook Silver Ray IV putter

1 hour ago, JerryB said:

All of the above or something in particular?

If by particular you mean a specific brand for the mirror I prefer eyeline golf or the seemore mirror

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Cracked my 12* driver head this weekend that I just got last month (bought used so no chance for return/repair) so I am back in the market for a 12* driver. Good times!

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Cracked my 12* driver head this weekend that I just got last month (bought used so no chance for return/repair) so I am back in the market for a 12* driver. Good times!

Might be worth reaching out to Cobra customer service and explain what happened. Worst they can say is that they can't help you, but they've generally been awesome about defects/replacements. You obviously don't know the history of the club so who knows what happened before you... but things do happen.

• Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 6.4 / Anti-Cap: 12.1 (Last Updated Oct. 2, 2022)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Club Champion Fitting
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
21° Hybrid: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver 80X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

Currently Testing: Edel SMS Wedges
WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If by particular you mean a specific brand for the mirror I prefer eyeline golf or the seemore mirror

I went with eyeline for all three items

• Like 1

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

My Reviews:

20 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I went with eyeline for all three items

I have the eyeline circles too. I rarely use the larger one as I prefer to use a towel to check my landing point on chips/pitches. 

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I have the eyeline circles too. I rarely use the larger one as I prefer to use a towel to check my landing point on chips/pitches. 

ya i only got the 3ft one. go straight to the challenge of great success and anything within 3ft of it i would be happy with.

• Like 1

My Reviews:

Very tempted to pull the trigger here. Anyone hit the Srixon 7w?

D1CCCB52-1216-4AED-853F-277A70A25453.png

• Like 2

My Reviews:

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I wasn't sure if the mirror, sword, and circles were three different things or all part of one package so I didn't know if you were on board with everything he'd said.  But thanks for the mirror suggestion, I've now got one incoming.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Tour Edge Exotics 3 wood and Bazooka 7 wood

Titleist 21° and Grand Hawk XR3 hybrids

Adams Idea 6-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and SM8 60° wedges

Ray Cook Silver Ray IV putter

8 hours ago, JerryB said:

I wasn't sure if the mirror, sword, and circles were three different things or all part of one package so I didn't know if you were on board with everything he'd said.  But thanks for the mirror suggestion, I've now got one incoming.

I have not used it even looked at the sword. I was only replying to the mirror comment.

The circles are great for practice. As mentioned I don’t really use the 6’ circle. I got it for chipping practice but I prefer to work more on hitting a landing spot and use a towel for that. Example if I eat to play a bump and run I place the towel closer to me and try to hit it with the club I would use for whatever distance to the hole. Longer distance longer club, less distance wedge or 9i

The 3’ circle is what I use for putting practice. I place it around the hole and then place balls 5 balls in a line in ; different spots around the hole. 3,9,15,20,24’ or some other lengths depending on what I feel like that day. The goal is to make or have at least 10 balls finish inside the circle

• Like 4

I know I would probably get murdered if another iron set showed up at my door but I’m really digging the looks of the Takomo 101T irons. $480 shipped to me for heads only seems like a steal. But then I think to myself that Edel’s Swing Match System Irons seem like a cool ideal. Doing a fitting to have the weights matchup to my swing intrigues me a lot. 

Decisions Decisions 🤔🤔🤔

• Like 3

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

On 7/29/2022 at 10:05 AM, Josh Ross said:

We've been to the one in Kennesaw and the HQ in Roswell but both of them lately have very little in selection and they have no desire in helping us. In Kennesaw the only Stealth fitting iron they had was 2 degrees upright and my dad needs 2 degrees flat. He struggled to make solid contact. I called the one in Duluth/Lawrenceville and they wouldn't answer any questions I had, just said to come and see if they had what we needed. It's hard to drive an hour and 45 minutes just to see.

Have y'all been to the  Golf HQ in Chattanooga to try anything out? I know it's a bit of a drive, but they have a pretty good selection there. I know I've seen both Cobra and the Stealth there. 

• Like 1