jlukes

What equipment are you thinking about?

I'm thinking about shoes. I've been a FootJoy Classics and Dryjoys guy for years. I only have one pair left (used to rotate through 3) and there's so many new styles and options these days.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I'm thinking about shoes. I've been a FootJoy Classics and Dryjoys guy for years. I only have one pair left (used to rotate through 3) and there's so many new styles and options these days.

I'm glad I saw this! I tried on some FJ Freestyle today and I think they're the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever put on!!! I'll be keeping an eye out for these on sale!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm glad I saw this! I tried on some FJ Freestyle today and I think they're the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever put on!!! I'll be keeping an eye out for these on sale!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered a pair of Footjoy Pro SL. Can you believe they will be the first pair of Footjoys Ive ever owned. I'm very anxious to see how they are.
  • Like 2

think i'm going to try the Yes! Donna.  Found a decent deal on one from 2008 in pretty good condition on the bay.  A lot of talk about this being pretty similar to the Scotty squareback (which I thoroughly enjoyed at Golfsmith but is WAAAAAAY overpriced) and anxious to try the "C-groove" tech.

Please warn me if I'm making a huge mistake.  =)

Got a pair of Adidas 360 this year and they are THE BOMB.  I walk 90 percent of the time and these are super comfortable.

• Like 1

So I went to golfsmith today after my doctor's appointment. Here is what I took away from it all: RSI 2 are back in the mix for me, Mizuno MP H5 is now in the mix, still didn't get to hit the Srixon z545's, and the second most surprising thing that happened for me today had to deal with the Mizuno Jpx 850 forged. I could not get a pure strike on them no matter how hard I tried. I switched clubs back and forth, I could pure every other club except the Jpx 850. I am convinced I am not destined to hit. Gonna do some research on the clubs I have narrowed it down to. I also have another major surprise that occurred today at Golfsmith, but that's for an article coming later

Funny - I have had a similar experiences with the 850Fs.  The three times I have attempted to hit them have been dreadful.  Don't know why struggle finding the center of the face with them.

• Like 1

Realizations about the way I use my 3W are making me seriously think about picking up an Aeroburner Mini Driver 16*. I almost always hit the 3W off the tee, and that extra volume and face area on the Mini (nearly 100cc bigger than my BB 3w) could give me that extra help. Plus I am more consistent with my driver than my 3W right now, so I figure if I make my 3W more driver like, it may just help. Off the deck, I'll stick with the 5w.

Realizations about the way I use my 3W are making me seriously think about picking up an Aeroburner Mini Driver 16*. I almost always hit the 3W off the tee, and that extra volume and face area on the Mini (nearly 100cc bigger than my BB 3w) could give me that extra help. Plus I am more consistent with my driver than my 3W right now, so I figure if I make my 3W more driver like, it may just help. Off the deck, I'll stick with the 5w.

have you considered the bb mini?  Seems like it might be an option based on what you've described.

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/fwoods-2015-bertha-mini-1-5.html

• Like 1

Have you hit the M2 3 or 3HL yet?  I have been playing a 4 wood for the past few years but with the M2 it launches so easy off the deck that I only needed the 15*.  Great off the deck and an absolute bomber off the tee.

Edit: And I just noticed that you live back on the east coast now!  (I thought you were still out west)

• Like 1

Funny - I have had a similar experiences with the 850Fs. The three times I have attempted to hit them have been dreadful. Don't know why struggle finding the center of the face with them.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who had this issue with these irons. I'm going to hit them one more time before I rule them out. I still don't know why I cant get them clean.

Got a pair of Adidas 360 this year and they are THE BOMB. I walk 90 percent of the time and these are super comfortable.

I'm open to just about any shoe manufacturer as long as they're comfy, look good and last more than a year or two.

• Like 1

I'm open to just about any shoe manufacturer as long as they're comfy, look good and last more than a year or two.

These are great - I got the wide.  Usually wear a 10 but 9.5 fit well.  They've held up very well and have excellent waterproofing.

have you considered the bb mini?  Seems like it might be an option based on what you've described.

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/fwoods-2015-bertha-mini-1-5.html

I sure have. Hit it a ways back and thought it was awesome. I'm concerned it will actually be too close to my driver in distance though - this club isn't really supposed to be a driver substitute, more of a 3W substitute with extra size and forgiveness. We shall see though, considering all options!

Have you hit the M2 3 or 3HL yet?  I have been playing a 4 wood for the past few years but with the M2 it launches so easy off the deck that I only needed the 15*.  Great off the deck and an absolute bomber off the tee.

Edit: And I just noticed that you live back on the east coast now!  (I thought you were still out west)

I have not, though I want to. It doesn't have the extra size of the mini driver though, which is what I'm looking to experiment with.

And yep, in PA now! We should be able to play more often now, hopefully!

• Like 1

think i'm going to try the Yes! Donna.  Found a decent deal on one from 2008 in pretty good condition on the bay.  A lot of talk about this being pretty similar to the Scotty squareback (which I thoroughly enjoyed at Golfsmith but is WAAAAAAY overpriced) and anxious to try the "C-groove" tech.

Please warn me if I'm making a huge mistake.  =)

Well... I'm now the owner of Yes! Donna.  A couple of guys (Blixt is the latest I think) won some tourneys with this so hopefully it will bring me the same luck.  

Makes me think of that Ritchie Valens song "O Donna..."

• Like 1

Z545 irons are the ones I hit at the show, but I'm open to trying the Z355's, as well.  I'm willing to try anything the fitter recommends, but the Z545's are what's motivating me to setup the fitting.

I was still recovering from a "diagnostic procedure" from the week before, so I wasn't really in top form (at all) but I was both surprised and pleased with how well the fitting turned out.  I had a putter fitting last year with Thomas Elsberry and was really impressed with his knowledge, so he was the fitter I scheduled for my iron fitting.

As I've stated earlier, the Srixon Z545 irons prompted my desire for a fitting, but I told Thomas I'd follow his recommendations, no matter what brand he decided would be my best fit.  Why try to "fit myself" when I'm paying for the services of a level 3 Master Fitter?

The "Tour Van" fitting is like no other fitting I've had, the GEARS system they use is more sophisticated than anything I've seen before (http://gearsgolf.com/).  BarbaJo did an earlier review with the details (http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/12417-a-tour-van-level-fitting-in-minneapolis-or-how-golfspy-barbajo-got-xtra-stiff), but ball flight and performance is ultimately all about physics and math and Thomas really, REALLY knows the math and the equipment better than anyone I've ever been fitted by before (and I consider them pretty good fitters).  For an interview with Thomas, use this link (http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/12370-an-interview-with-a-master-club-fitter-video/?hl=%222nd+swing%22).

When all was said and done, the Srixons didn't make the cut but surprisingly enough, when I went to Totally Driven for a wedge fitting thinking I'd come home with Edel wedges, I came home with Ping Glides.  My new irons are Ping G series 5-PW.  More upright and shorter shafts than what I was playing with before.  http://www.ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=20215  Maybe, I'm a Ping Guy and just never knew it.

Since I wasn't feeling all that well when I got fit, I was concerned that the Pings might not really perform any better (or as well) as the irons I've been gaming, but was really anxious for them to arrive so I could get to the range and try them side by side.

The irons were delivered earlier this week and I've had two trips to the range and 9 holes with them, so far.  There's honestly no comparison with my previous irons in both feel and performance.  Higher ball flight with better carry distance than my previous set and now that I'm getting used to them, much more confidence when I setup.

At this stage, I honestly don't think I'll make anymore equipment changes without making a trip to 2nd Swing and having a fitting with Thomas.  As I've said before, I thought I was striking the ball fairly well this season, considering I've had so many gaps between being able to play this year, but now that I've hit my previous irons side by side with the fitted Pings, the difference is like night and day.

The only downside to the the fitting is, now I want to get fit for the rest of my bag ;)

• Like 2

I have anxiously been awaiting the 917 release as in my mind it was a forgone conclusion I would be picking up a D2.

But I have to admit the new BB Fusion has certainly caught my attention.

• Like 1

I have anxiously been awaiting the 917 release as in my mind it was a forgone conclusion I would be picking up a D2.

But I have to admit the new BB Fusion has certainly caught my attention.

I've had the chance to hit this line of clubs early thanks to knowing a Titleist rep. Let's just say the 917 D3 will be going in my bag upon release. These might be my favorite release from Titleist to date.
  • Like 1

I've had the chance to hit this line of clubs early thanks to knowing a Titleist rep. Let's just say the 917 D3 will be going in my bag upon release. These might be my favorite release from Titleist to date.

I missed the rep the day he was by our course, don't you know the one day I go out for lunch instead of eating onsite...LOL

But I have heard similar thoughts as yours from others.   If it's half as good for me as the 816 H1 has been, I'll be a very happy camper. 

• Like 1