jlukes

What equipment are you thinking about?

I am a tinkerer by nature, which can be good and bad. A month ago I thought I would see if I could find a driver/shaft combo that optimized my driving stats. I went to Pure Science Golf and hit my driver/shaft (Titleist 915D3 9.5* and a Oban Kiyoshi Purple shaft) then I hit a series of heads and shafts to compare. All shots were recorded on the Trackman.

The end result...maybe one driver shaft combo could land me 5 more yards, but my fitter told me to stick with what I had.

We did look through the rest of my bag and found that my 3 wood shaft flex was way too soft so that remains a change to be seen.

I just bought a set of three Edel wedges with the driver bounce that will arrive on Monday. I am curious how the additional bounce will work with my game. Time will tell.

Lamkin sent me a demo of the new Z5, so considering ordering a few for my clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have played the same set for the last two years (by far a record for me). I am considering new wedges, but I may just wait to see what comes next season.

... Well I dodged a bullet with the new Srixon irons. Was gonna play a mixed set of 565's and 765's until I saw them up close and personal. Hate what they did with the hosel transition that looks like it is made for Asian players. Visual offset in the short irons, a very rounded toe and that weird hosel transition that makes the clubhead and hosel look like two different pieces from two different clubs. Saves me some money to spend elsewhere. : ) 

New Recoil 680 shafts for my irons and hybrids. I hit them on Saturday down at Golfworks with Theoo...172 yards for a 7 iron on their Foresight monitor, now to rustle up the cash and get them ordered.

• Like 2

... Well I dodged a bullet with the new Srixon irons. Was gonna play a mixed set of 565's and 765's until I saw them up close and personal. Hate what they did with the hosel transition that looks like it is made for Asian players. Visual offset in the short irons, a very rounded toe and that weird hosel transition that makes the clubhead and hosel look like two different pieces from two different clubs. Saves me some money to spend elsewhere. : ) 

What exactly does a "hosel transition that looks like it is made for Asian players" mean?

... The Asian market is very different than the US market. Short irons are bigger, rounder and have offset, sometimes a lot of offset. Instead of blending the hosel in a seamless transition, the short irons especially the wedges, will have a higher heel and with the noticeable offset it looks like the wedge head was welded on to a separate hosel. I certainly don't mean to insinuate it is inferior to a beautifully blended hosel transition, just the way that market likes their irons designed. 

The RTX-3 Raw have me thinking. But I am not looking to replace the 46* 54* SMP.

They are like throwing lawn darts.

I am really thinking about getting a new driver. Have never good vibes from the Covert 2.0 and I just can't seem to be consistent with it. 

Have been thinking (and reading about) the ping G, M2, XR16 and the cobra F6. Also interested in hitting the new BB Fusion. Anybody got any input for a high handicapper like myself? I am trying to get my swing under control (and have dropped my average round about 10 strokes this year) but still struggle with a slice from time to time. It's gotten bad that I've stopped hitting driver for rounds at a time. But like I said, I've done some swing work and I am hitting more consistent right now. 

I love the idea of the power in the M2 but the G seems to be the most forgiving which would be key. I had a measured swing speed of around 105 but with those new tweaks I am hoping I'd be closer to 110. 

• Like 1

I am really thinking about getting a new driver. Have never good vibes from the Covert 2.0 and I just can't seem to be consistent with it.

Have been thinking (and reading about) the ping G, M2, XR16 and the cobra F6. Also interested in hitting the new BB Fusion. Anybody got any input for a high handicapper like myself? I am trying to get my swing under control (and have dropped my average round about 10 strokes this year) but still struggle with a slice from time to time. It's gotten bad that I've stopped hitting driver for rounds at a time. But like I said, I've done some swing work and I am hitting more consistent right now.

I love the idea of the power in the M2 but the G seems to be the most forgiving which would be key. I had a measured swing speed of around 105 but with those new tweaks I am hoping I'd be closer to 110.

It's a broken record on here, but going through a fitting is your best bet. You'll read it on every thread where advice about clubs is being sought. I've hit all of the drivers you mention and given the right shaft for you and your swing, there probably won't be much to separate them numbers-wise. It will probably come down to looks and feel/sound. Best of luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yeah I did neglect to mention that I went to a fitting a few months ago (when the guy measured my swing speed). He was super honest and basically told me not to buy a driver until I improved my swing because it wasn't going to make a difference. So I will obviously be going back there. 

• Like 3

When you're looking, check out the Mizuno JPX-EZ as well.

• Like 1

When you're looking, check out the Mizuno JPX-EZ as well.

I just read yours (and others) reviews on the club. I am definitely going to have to try that, thanks for the advice. I don't give a s*** about the sound either, the sound of yelling "fore" all the time is much worse. 

• Like 4

I just read yours (and others) reviews on the club. I am definitely going to have to try that, thanks for the advice. I don't give a s*** about the sound either, the sound of yelling "fore" all the time is much worse. 

^This  :lol:

Is anyone considering the new Wilson irons? I've seen lots of good things on blogs etc, but haven't seen much in "equipment pondering" threads yet. They're probably not forgiving enough for me (yet -- Hopefully my trajectory allows me to get there someday), but I think they look pretty slick.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about going back to my #9 style putter. I have a natural arc stroke and it just really seems to fit me. I'm enjoying the Spider Limited, but something about it just doesn't jive 100% with me

Definitely looking at those Wilsons. Probably not in the cards for me, budget and all, but since I'm a Wilson guy, and since I'm already looking for V2's/4's this winter/next spring (or cmbs/cb3s[Adams too, natch.]), and since they come out on my birthday... Better get those lottery tickets!

After re-reading the MGS report on EvnRoll putters today, I'm kind of angry I bought a new putter this summer. They sound like the real deal

• Like 1

40th b-day is coming in a week or 2. Probably getting a new driver to celebrate. I use the term "new" loosely because I'm probably going to get something from the 2015 scene. Heard too many things, read too many reviews, and saw too many videos about the Fly-Z, so my mind may be made up.