TESTERS WANTED! ×

Guerin Rife - EVNROLL Putters

driveandputtmachine

I talked to someone about having lucked into meeting Guerin Rife at a PGA Tour Superstore in Atlanta.  Well that immediately sparked my interest, being the former owner of a putter company I wanted to try and get out to meet him.  So there were a few exchanges and a call to the PGA Superstore in Kennesaw and off I went.

I spoke to one of the PGA SS Employees and asked if they could get a message to Guerin that I wanted to come by, get fit and talk to him about his putters.  They did and at 4:10pm I showed up and away we went.

https://evnroll.com/

The very first thing that you notice about Guerin is how approachable, genuinely nice, and fired up about his putters he is.  at no point did he talk over me, he let me ask tons of questions and I received all of the answers and he even let me in on some info I did not know.  So then it was off to testing his putters.

If you check out the website you can see all four of the models they currently sell and he had multiples of each there with him.  He also had a prototype Mallet(similar to the Barbados) and a blade that was similar to an extended B60 putter as well.  As these were the only two in existence I only hit a few putts with each of them since I knew I would not get my grubby little hands on one of them to take home.

We tried each of the putters and I eventually narrowed it down to the two more blade looking models.  For some reason my stance changed every time I put a mallet in my hand and he had to increase the loft on them.  The use of the roll board helped two fold.
1. It helped determine where I was aiming the putter, you can see all of the contact the ball makes with the roll board.
2. You could see the "launch" of the putter and then when it started to roll.  Too little loft and you could immediately tell the ball wold have dug into the ground, two much and you can see the ball as it skips across the roll board.

Once we finally took my putter (ER2) off the shelf we then tested it and Guerin set about bending it himself to get the lie angle and the loft exactly right.  I also paid close attention and hit some balls off of the heel and some off of the toe side of the grooves to see the differences.  

Two major things I noticed......
1. The grooves no matter where the ball is struck make a huge impact on the ball rolling more quickly.
2. The grooves did make a difference on distance control.

I tried a major manufacturer with an very similar headstyle.  These heads have an aluminum insert.  I could see the ball skip through the end of the roll board, no matter how we moved it around.   I also noticed that with the other putter hitting the ball a little on the toe or heel caused a bigger difference in how far the ball traveled.

So funny enough a former owner of a putter company is no longer rolling one of his own putters, he is now the proud owner of an EVNROLL ER2 with a headcover signed by Guerin Rife.

20160802_182102.jpg20160802_182109.jpg20160802_182139.jpg20160802_182145.jpg20160802_182152.jpg

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet! and very clean lines on the putter.

What is the head weight?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Sweet! and very clean lines on the putter.

What is the head weight?

I knew mine was 370, but had to look up the others as I knew they did differing headweights based on length.  Here is the info.....

• Shaft Lengths & Head Weights– 35'@355g, 34”@370g, 33”@385g

Clubs in great standing

• Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Nice, I also prefer a heavy putter haed.....Currently my small collection is:

Slotline SSI 693....360 grm

Nike Method Core Drone....355 grm

Ping Ketsch.....355 grm

Bellum-Winmore 707...350 grm

All putters are 33" in length.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

That is gorgeous. Makes me actually want to see if it can kick my trusty GoLo out of the bag

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

That is gorgeous. Makes me actually want to see if it can kick my trusty GoLo out of the bag

If you have a chance or can get your hands on a roll board, you need to.

I hit a Newport M2 (was the closest to the design of the EVNROLL I decided on of Scotty's offerings) and compared the two against each other.  Stroke a 20 foot putt against one another and the difference on the roll board is amazing.  The Scotty skipped clean across the roll board, not turning over and rolling until after the roll board.   The EVNROLL popped up into the air right off the putter face, but then a foot away or so you can see the ball contact the roll board and see it start rolling as you can see the dimples once the ball starts rolling.

Now I'm not saying he is the only one with a groove technology out there.  However, groove technology starts the ball rolling more quickly, and as long as the ball comes off of the ground right after the stroke(You have enough loft for your stroke) the quicker it starts rolling the more putts you will hit on line.  

However the way the groves are spaced on the face of the putter made a difference as well.  I am a good player but don't always hit dead center of the sweet spot, when you miss the sweet spot you lose distance, because the face is uniform.  With the EVNROLL the grooves are narrower so more metal is hitting the ball as you more away from the sweetspot so you don't lose as much distance.

Having owned a putter company, I saw all types of claims and crazy gimmicks on putters.  Some grooves that work, some that don't.  However in the grooves that work arena I have never seen anyone take into account you don't always hit the sweetspot, so we need to make some changes to help you not lose as much distance.  I have never been excited about a putter that wasn't my own creation/brand since my first Anser my grandfather gave me when I was a freshman in high school.  I am extremely excited about what Guerin is doing because he is not telling you he is going to change your game, he is making a simple promise and the putter delivers on it every time.

Clubs in great standing

Always been a fan of Rife.  I think the Guerin master milled putters are some of the sexiest ever produced.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I almost forgot.  Part of the reason for the heavier head is because each putter has a 30 gram counterweight.

Clubs in great standing

I love the look of that putter! I am digging these bigger putters, reminds my of Ricky Johnson's new wide body series. 

I will say that their ER6 looks very Ping Ketsch-ish. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

That's a very pretty putter!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

If you have a chance or can get your hands on a roll board, you need to.

I hit a Newport M2 (was the closest to the design of the EVNROLL I decided on of Scotty's offerings) and compared the two against each other.  Stroke a 20 foot putt against one another and the difference on the roll board is amazing.  The Scotty skipped clean across the roll board, not turning over and rolling until after the roll board.   The EVNROLL popped up into the air right off the putter face, but then a foot away or so you can see the ball contact the roll board and see it start rolling as you can see the dimples once the ball starts rolling.

Now I'm not saying he is the only one with a groove technology out there.  However, groove technology starts the ball rolling more quickly, and as long as the ball comes off of the ground right after the stroke(You have enough loft for your stroke) the quicker it starts rolling the more putts you will hit on line.  

However the way the groves are spaced on the face of the putter made a difference as well.  I am a good player but don't always hit dead center of the sweet spot, when you miss the sweet spot you lose distance, because the face is uniform.  With the EVNROLL the grooves are narrower so more metal is hitting the ball as you more away from the sweetspot so you don't lose as much distance.

Having owned a putter company, I saw all types of claims and crazy gimmicks on putters.  Some grooves that work, some that don't.  However in the grooves that work arena I have never seen anyone take into account you don't always hit the sweetspot, so we need to make some changes to help you not lose as much distance.  I have never been excited about a putter that wasn't my own creation/brand since my first Anser my grandfather gave me when I was a freshman in high school.  I am extremely excited about what Guerin is doing because he is not telling you he is going to change your game, he is making a simple promise and the putter delivers on it every time.

Not trying to bum my own tires but I have tried to boot my GoLo out of my bag for a couple years now but whenever I get on a roll board my scotty has been as good as it could possibly get for no skid. My fitter here in Vancouver is one of the best in the industry and he always questions why I try to switch 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

If you are getting good results don't mess with it.  I tried a bunch of Scotty, Odyssey, Nike, and a few others but never got the launch you need(small lift, every ball sits in a minor depression) and then roll as quickly as I did with the EVNROLL.  Some of them were close, but the putters that were close were ugly.  Then after seeing the offline, or I guess I should say off center strikes and how different they were with other putters vs. the EVNROLL I was a bit shocked.

I think also the fact I got to meet and joke around with the owner/designer for two hours helped me lean towards the putter as well.  My first round with the putter was on punched greens in our work League on Wednesday night so it is hard to say anything really good or really bad about a putter having only used it on greens that newly punched.

I've tried other counter balanced putters and never cared for them or seen an improvement.  I am guessing the grooves, the off center grooves, the good looks, and the counter balance all together was kind of the perfect storm for my stroke.

Clubs in great standing

• 1 month later...

In light of the recent MGS blog post, this thread could use a bump.

I am seriously impressed by this putter. The main post was one of the best I have read on this site. If the data is to be believed then this putter tech is actually the real deal, and more worthy of the title of "disruptive" than any other equipment release in a long while.

The distance consistency is not really new given PING's TR grooves but the gearing is something I have not heard of.

If you check out the "technology" link on Evnroll (assuming the link works and their servers aren't down...

https://evnroll.com/technology/

...the gearing is achieved through the milling pattern. I was considering the Cleveland 2135, but now I have to roll one of these before I pull the trigger. The look and finish on these is a beauty. I like the ER2 or ER5.

Edit* - post #300!

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Does anyone know why the loft on these putters is only 2*?  Seems low to me.

With most, not all, putters with some kind of groove technology the amount of loft needed to get the putter out of the depression it is sitting in is less than the standard of 4* that companies without grooves have used for years.  

Similar to today's drivers....I used to play a driver with 8 or 9* of loft.  Today I play one with 10.6, because the technology has changed requiring that I loft up to get the performance I want.

Clubs in great standing

After the MGS review, I want one, but I can't pull it off right now... I love the tech and results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

With most, not all, putters with some kind of groove technology the amount of loft needed to get the putter out of the depression it is sitting in is less than the standard of 4* that companies without grooves have used for years.  

Similar to today's drivers....I used to play a driver with 8 or 9* of loft.  Today I play one with 10.6, because the technology has changed requiring that I loft up to get the performance I want.

With my forward press, the loft at impact would have to be close to 0*

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am going to hopefully be swinging by the PGA superstore in December. If I like it and they can fit me and all, I think I will finally be pulling the trigger on a new flat stick. 

I loved my old 2 Bar Blade, and this technology seems intriguing, though the price tag does seem a bit steep for a start-up.  I will be keeping my eyes open for sure.

Driver:              :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond 816

3W:                 :titelist-small: 915F

3h:                  :titelist-small: 816H

5-GW:              :wilson_staff_small:  C200 w/Aldila Rogue

54, 58:             :ping-small: Glide

Putter:             :bettinardi-small: BB40

I always loved Rife putters and these look even better!

In my bag:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am so stoked!

I just received a call from Guerin Rife!  As I was selected to test his putters, he called to set up the putter that I will be reviewing.

You'll have to wait until the actual review is posted....BUT we had a terrific conversation reagarding my putters and the what I liked about them.  

Thank you Mr. Rife!

Great story, and what an opportunity!!! I can't imagine how awesome it would be having the guy who designed them help bend it and everything. I am absolutely dying to try one of these putters, but since not one store in Louisiana has them, I'm out of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I am so stoked!

I just received a call from Guerin Rife!  As I was selected to test his putters, he called to set up the putter that I will be reviewing.

You'll have to wait until the actual review is posted....BUT we had a terrific conversation reagarding my putters and the what I liked about them.  

Thank you Mr. Rife!

Congrats Foz. What model did you request?

I am so stoked!

Thank you Mr. Rife!

WOW you got your putter already?  That was super fast !!!!

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Hula Rock: Will get it in about 2 weeks. Chemclub: I selected the ER6. Pmookie: They are available in the PGA Superstores

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That's great to hear about the phone call. I'll be eager to hear the information they collected and how they used it.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Hula Rock: Will get it in about 2 weeks. Chemclub: I selected the ER6. Pmookie: They are available in the PGA Superstores

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Talked to Mr. Rife today. Loved to hear about some of his insights about the putter design. spec'd ER-5 was the selection.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Talked to Mr. Rife today. Loved to hear about some of his insights about the putter design. spec'd ER-5 was the selection.

What kinda custom stuff can they do?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived