TESTERS WANTED! ×

Terry K Steps Down as Hogan CEO

Woke up to this interesting tidbit on Facebook this morning from Hogan Founder/CEO Terry Koehler...

To all,

My life has moved into the next chapter with the transition at Ben Hogan Golf -- I've relinquished my role as President/CEO and evolved to a "semi-retired" Founder role, where I will not be responsible for day-to-day operations. That work is now trusted to Scott White, a very capable industry veteran who will do a great job. I will stay engaged in product innovation and many other areas, where most of my work can be done from my home in Victoria. I will miss seeing all the great people every day, and being 100% engaged all the time. 

I will not miss the almost weekly 600-mile round trip commute, nor the waking at 3:00 a.m in a near panic about all that I need to get done that day.

My conversations with my wife on the weekends will no longer revolve around work. Yay!!!!

I will no longer be a stranger at my Victoria Country Club. And I look forward to working on my golf game to get it out of complete remission -- there are already signs of hope that it is salvageable.

I will see my Victoria friends much more often!!!

I will stay engaged as one of the five-member Board of Managers that provides high-level direction to the management team.
I will not work 70+ hour weeks anymore, and will not fear going from Friday afternoon to Monday morning without working at least some.

I am buying a new little place in Port O Connor that will get a great deal of my time -- new floors, painting, cabinet work, building a deck, etc. And fishing, of course. Oh, it's at 189 Easy Street -- how appropriate, huh?

I'm not going away from this dream I started years ago, not by a long shot. But I am stepping aside a bit to let Scott lead this team to achieve all our goals.

Wish me luck in dealing with all this leisure time.

Interesting news -- I spoke with Terry briefly this afternoon, he's already on the golf course, and plan a more in depth conversation with him tomorrow and a discussion with the new CEO next week.  Based on an interview with Terry a couple of months ago, today's news is a little startling...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I saw this and was very surprised. Especially since the new Hogan Golf has been very successful!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Wow, but I get where he is coming from considering I have spent the last 48 hours plus in my office including sleep and all meals.  I am a huge fan of the Hogan brand and just hoping that the company continues to evolve and expand its offerings.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Really surprised by this. That would explain why it was hard for me to get ahold of someone at Hogan last week. I wish him the best, he seems like a nice guy. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Wow! I can imagine that grind. he lead the successful relaunch, got it rolling. I wish him luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I really love his SCOR wedges and if he stays in product development, I think we will still see his contributions in future clubs. Good luck TK. Do you think he plays Hogan clubs? What about driver?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Very Interesting - curious how this will affect the vision and direction of the company. Hope the interview goes well - want to hear more.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Wish him the best, been a heck of a day in the golf industry.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Best wishes! His wedges are the best clubs in my bag along with putter. (Despite the number of strokes had with them the other day)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Have to believe the Hogan group will continue to move forward in a positive way! Love all the clubs...like many of you started with the Score wedges! Also lets hope it's TK does well in retirement! I failed it the first time 😝 Time to ⛳️

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 w/Grafalloy 65 Pro-Launch Blue Shaft R-Flex

3W: Titleist 915 w/Diamana S+ Blue 70 R-Flex

4 Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 20* w/iRod 75 F3R-Flex

5Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 24* w/iRod 75 F3R-Flex

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 28*, 32*, 36*, 40* UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3R-Flex

Wedges: Ben Hogan Ft Worth 44*, TK 48*, 52*, 56*, 60* UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3R

Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO 5 Dual Balance

Blog post published this morning on Terry's decision to step down...

http://www.mygolfspy.com/terry-koehler-leaves-hogan-sort-of/

Long and short of it - it was in the plan all along for Terry to build the company, and then find a replacement CEO by the time he turned 65, which happens in March.  Terry freely admits his skills set and temperament is more suited to building a company from scratch as opposed to running an established company in growth mode.  That's a different skill set altogether.

Scott White is the new CEO - hoping to arrange an interview with him this week.  White was most recently head of Global Marketing and Brand Management for BowTech.  He does have a long history in the golf business - as Director of Sales and Marketing for True Temper, as well as positions with TaylorMade, Callaway and Spalding/Top Flite dating back to the early 90's.  At TaylorMade, he ran the Burner Iron product development and introduction, which remains TMag's most successful iron launch ever.  

So personally, I don't see any conspiracy here - I'm not 65 but I can see it in the coming attractions, so Terry's explanation does make sense. As it says in the blog, when you get to that age and have achieved a certain level of success, you get to make decisions about what you want to do and what you don't want to do.  

And a 600 mile weekly round trip commute? No thanks!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I totally agree with his decision. Life's too short as is. I'm still working too much (because it's fun and profitable still) but I'm on a slow gradual taper-off mode. I don't want to be 65 and still pounding it out day in day out either. Good for you Terry.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I totally agree with his decision. Life's too short as is. I'm still working too much (because it's fun and profitable still) but I'm on a slow gradual taper-off mode. I don't want to be 65 and still pounding it out day in day out either. Good for you Terry.

I started winding down my career when I turned 60, but kept working until last year when I was 68. I enjoyed my work and would have probably kept on for a couple of more years, but each year the excitement dwindled and the golf game call was louder and clearer.  My wife and I did a lot of traveling to play golf, and I am glad I did while I was still reasonably healthy.  I still plan trips because who knows when you can't do that anymore!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice piece.  it's good to get the scoop directly from the source, as opposed to all the internet rumors.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I was a bit surprised as well.  I have been getting two or three emails per week from Terry, explaining the details of the Hogan clubs....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

So after thinking a little more about this and reading the additional information from TK...specifically regarding growing the company...he actually can grow a company...if one is willing to accept the concept of taking SCOR wedges (was a proud owner of these wedges until I went to the Hogan TK wedges) to the next level by applying that technology to a complete line of irons and now hybrids. I am not suggesting that there are any ulterior motives in his stepping down, only that he can grow a company so long as it contains significant rose colored vision (TK's words).  Anyway there is a difference in establishing a business with growth potential and growing an established business.  I think he is making the right conclusions and right decisions for the long time health of the Ben Hogan company.

P.S. Thanks TK for bringing Ben Hogan clubs back!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 w/Grafalloy 65 Pro-Launch Blue Shaft R-Flex

3W: Titleist 915 w/Diamana S+ Blue 70 R-Flex

4 Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 20* w/iRod 75 F3R-Flex

5Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 24* w/iRod 75 F3R-Flex

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 28*, 32*, 36*, 40* UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3R-Flex

Wedges: Ben Hogan Ft Worth 44*, TK 48*, 52*, 56*, 60* UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3R

Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO 5 Dual Balance

Archived