TESTERS WANTED! ×

GolfSmith Filing for Bankruptcy?

Okay, we've officially entered Bizarro World....

As reported by GolfSpy T just a few moments ago:

Here is the full report from Bloomberg:

"Golfsmith International, the retailer of golf clothing and equipment, is considering filing for bankruptcy as it looks for a new owner, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

Golfsmith hired the investment bank Jefferies LLC to solicit buyers for the roughly 150-store chain, without success so far, said the people, who didn't want to be identified because the process isn't public. The company also hired Alvarez & Marsal to help it restructure, according to the people, who said that a sale could come as part of a Chapter 11 filing.

To quote a politically incorrect 3 Stooges classic....

"This house has sho gone crazy,..."

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Granted the timing is of course suspicious, but I cant imagine this has anything to do with Nike news? I'd imagine this had to have been a long time coming for them.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

There is nothing good that becomes of this, other than possibly launching hundreds of small shops all across the land.... 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Again... I'm not shocked. Surprised a little I suppose. The last two times I was in a GS in Austin it was mostly deserted and no sales people were around. It's a huge place. Probably too huge.

Hope it works out for them.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

They had 2 stores here in Columbus for awhile. Consolidated down to 1 large store a few years back. I've been in it a few times and it seems to do alright but never nearly as busy as golf galaxy around here. I found a small family owned shop close to home though and have been frequenting them as much as possible.

Granted the timing is of course suspicious, but I cant imagine this has anything to do with Nike news? I'd imagine this had to have been a long time coming for them.

This reminds me of when BBY went bankrupt. I think they need to realize the way people buy clubs. Especially the avid golfers has changed. Most aren't dropping 500+ for off the rack anymore

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If this is true I am again more sorry for people that will be losing their jobs. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

That's funny - I was thinking the same thing today too. There's absolutely nothing setting it apart from other competition in the same space. That's scary!

I know this isn't the same thing but there are a couple of big box stores around us. 2 Dicks sporting goods in particular. 1 of them has no competent 

people in it and is worthless to go to unless you are buying balls or something. The other store has a guy who is certified to fit people and fix clubs. He's knowledgeable and a club junky like most of us. I've heard him tell people time after time that when they come to look at clubs that he'll fit them on the spot and cut down the club and adjust lie angles, loft or whatever. To me this is what is missing from most big box stores. At least the ones I've been in. Every time I'm there and someone brings up the length of the drivers he insists that the only reason that they are that long is so he can fit them to the specific consumer and cut them to the correct length for people. The longer shafts are just so he doesn't need to put extensions in there. Now this may not be true in the least but it makes perfect sense to anyone he's selling a driver to. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Craziness...can honestly say I've been to the GS in Columbus twice...but that's because GG is 4 minutes from my house.

Timing of these announcements is odd..Hogan ceo stepping down, Nike out of golf, Golfsmith maybe chapter 11... what's next?

• SPY VIP

I certainly don't want this to come across as super callous, but it's this what is supposed to happen as part of a market-based economy? There are winners and there are losers and I understand with what's happened at Nike and now (potentially) at Golfsmith (as well as Sports Authority, etc) there's a huge human element and a very real impact on real people - But by and large, markets expand and contract. That's the way the cookie crumbles and there's a larger argument, I believe, that this is actually a good thing for golf. 

This may come as callous as well but I want the cheap golf stuff that follows

That's not eloquent, but I must say I like going to the store as it's the closest site with the biggest inventory near me

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

How many people go to GS and other big box stores to look at/try out clubs, then buy them online to save a few bucks.  Those are the people that drive these stores out of business.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Let's see......last year we had the Dick's massive layoff, then Sports Authority bankruptcy. This year it's who wants to buy Adams or Taylormade plus Nike exit and Golfsmith bankruptcy looming overhead.

The business of Golf has surely been on a roller coaster ride!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

How many people go to GS and other big box stores to look at/try out clubs, then buy them online to save a few bucks. Those are the people that drive these stores out of business.

I'd say im guilty, I do this 50% of the time, but they price themselves out with used inventory. Giving 30% or less on trade ins and then selling them for 3x the trade in amount. Once traded in some irons in excellent condition (before I gained sense), got $150 for trade in, saw them for $600 the next week.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• SPY VIP

How many people go to GS and other big box stores to look at/try out clubs, then buy them online to save a few bucks.  Those are the people that drive these stores out of business.

I'm sure there are plenty, but stores are complicit in allowing this to happen. If they can't add some type of value and people are going online to save 5% or whatever, then the store is part of the problem. 

The online world isn't going away and companies have to figure out how to exist in this environment. 

Every time I go to be store never have any thing in Stock I can use they always have to order in so ya I'm guilty of buying online for half the price hate to see places like this go hopefully golf economy grows again in young consumers

I have little to no feelings for Golfsmith. They hired a person who told me I wasn't good enough to get custom fit. They rarely have anything that's on sale but I think that's the golf industry as a whole. I'd go there for balls and things like that, plus to see or feel new clubs. I don't buy clubs a lot so it's mainly just to see what's around. I find better deals at mom and pop shops anyway. It will be interesting to see if we see any sales on the grip/shaft tools than anything else.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I used to shop religeously at Golfsmith....until they sold to a Canadian company and quit bartering on used club prices......A few years ago you could trade in clubs and walk out with a fair deal. Several years ago i traded some Mizuno irons for a new set of Nike VR Pro CB's....The last couple times I went in there I noted that the the Mizunos were still on the shalf, priced way out of fairness.  So I am not shocked by this bankruptcy news.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I wrote on my blog a few months ago how the Golfsmith in Dallas was the saddest place in Dallas. 6 employees for 2 customers

was it the one in Frisco ???

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

The closest one to me is about 30 minutes away. In the past I would drive to it versus a Golf Galaxy that was 10 minutes away. Mostly due to service and selection.

But I have noticed it slipping in both those areas the past 6 months or so.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I guess my GolfSmith experience is different in that it is quite positive. I've gotten to know the manager and top fitter there over the past couple of years and both are really solid guys who know the game and know their stuff.  Selection there is always quite good and the prices on new stuff are in line with everyone else's, since manufacturers hold that line pretty tightly.

There selection of used products will vary, but I recently purchased a Big Bertha Mini driver there at a very reasonable price.  I'd say as far as service goes with a traditional retailer, they're really good.  

Sure seems to me the retail world is changing rapidly -- 2nd Swing up here has its Tour Van fitting experience and the store, which specializes in used equipment but does custom fit new equipment - is always pretty busy.  Totally Driven is a custom fitting center with a practice facility and gym (memberships available), and they teach AimPoint.  The two models are different but both have their appeal.  Typical retail is changing -- retailers are going to have to change with the times. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm with the not shocked guys but also am saddened for those who have lost their jobs. Understand that bankruptcy may not mean going under, it may be the vehicle for restructuring. Regardless unprofitable stores will close and jobs will be lost.

None of this should shock us. We keep reading here and elsewhere that fewer people are playing golf.

I know of three very courses that have closed in my area in the last seven years. Two were associated with housing developements and the other a muni whose property was annexed by an airport.

Adams is effectively gone, Nike is done, Dicks had a major layoff, sports authority is out. Fewer people are playing and those who are have changed their buying habits.

The golf industry is changing we've talked about it lots. Here's the reality of it.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There's no Golfsmith near me, but Austad's is based in my area and they've just closed one of the 2 stores they had in town.

As BarbaJo said, the business model is changing.  That's actually good for golfers long term, when places like 2nd Swing and Totally Driven innovate to move the market we get more/better options.  Even though I know the specs of my current setup, I can't even imagine buying anything new without a fitting and custom shaft options!

The days of just stocking inventory and waiting for customers to pick out what they want are over.

The business model for golf courses is changing as well.  The "Great Life" model in our area incorporates multiple golf courses and fitness centers and uses a tiered levels of subscriptions for annual memberships (paid monthly) for golf courses, full service exercise facilities and golf simulators throughout the area.

Courses around here (that are a part of the Great Life program) are busier than they were a few years ago and the cost is lower per round.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I have little to no feelings for Golfsmith. They hired a person who told me I wasn't good enough to get custom fit. They rarely have anything that's on sale but I think that's the golf industry as a whole. I'd go there for balls and things like that, plus to see or feel new clubs. I don't buy clubs a lot so it's mainly just to see what's around. I find better deals at mom and pop shops anyway. It will be interesting to see if we see any sales on the grip/shaft tools than anything else.

Wow that's some horse crap. Higher handicappers need the fittings even more than the lowest handicappers. That dude was an idiot.

A fitter for Edel told a friend of mine that he could hand an iron to a scratch player that is anywhere from 4* flat to 4* upright and they could make it work for them. Obviously a fit club is better but they can manipulate things to make it work. The higher handicap player wouldn't be able to make it work. He said the higher the handicap the more the fitting becomes important.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

The best golf shops that I've ever seen were associated with golf courses. One was in Stamford CT the other Sheboygan WI. Both had an old experienced pro who had the courage, foresight and bankroll to keep a huge inventory and to allow people to take clubs out for test drives on the range and even on the course. (You'd have to leave some form of collateral - credit card). Either shop could also fit or repair anything. The Stamford one (whose name escapes me) looked like Ping east. It was at the time that the Eye 2 was all the rage. In fact it was were I was fit for and purchased my Eye2's. They also had an endless supply of Ping putters.

If that were the wave of the future we'd all be happy but I don't know how practical it is. Plus there are plenty of good retailers not directly connected to courses.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I wrote on my blog a few months ago how the Golfsmith in Dallas was the saddest place in Dallas. 6 employees for 2 customers

You should see the (old) one in Plano (plano parkway and 75) I've never walked in there and seen it "busy". Employee to customer ratio is 1:1 or better at basically all times, and it's like corporate forgot about this unit... old displays, same apparel on the retail rack going for 40%-75% 5 miles away at the new "Xtreme" location on Preston. It's sad, man. I remember being soooo excited as a kid when that place was being built, going in and buying a clubhead, shaft, grip, tape, solvent, epoxy, etc and building my first club (a 60° GS brand wedge) that became my favorite club in the bag as a 12 year old bc I built it with my old man. I know the store manager of that old Plano store, played golf with him a couple times thru a mutual golf buddy and feel bad for him because that store is positioned for low/no traffic and GS hasn't done anything in years to help correct it.

Anyway, the used market at these stores (GS, PGA, et al) is so inefficient I can't understand why anyone would ever trade a club to them, or buy a used stick off em when the independent shops are priced at 75-80% of the chains, and eBay/Forums are further discounted for the consumer, and offer higher asking prices to the seller. It's a shame, but as an earlier poster said, this is a function of market economics and unless these retail giants overhaul the business model, they're going the way of the dinosaur.

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Archived