TESTERS WANTED! ×

GolfSmith Filing for Bankruptcy?

was it the one in Frisco ???

There's a GS in frisco?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Wow that's some horse crap. Higher handicappers need the fittings even more than the lowest handicappers. That dude was an idiot.

A fitter for Edel told a friend of mine that he could hand an iron to a scratch player that is anywhere from 4* flat to 4* upright and they could make it work for them. Obviously a fit club is better but they can manipulate things to make it work. The higher handicap player wouldn't be able to make it work. He said the higher the handicap the more the fitting becomes important.

I just remember laughing at that thought. I wish around here we had just one golf store around here. There's literally none, only place to buy clubs is 3 hours away. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I was in my local GS yesterday - Bellingham, MA - and it was DEAD.  There was maybe 2 other people in there browsing around.

I think there were more sales people (who by the way were staring at their phone) then customers.

Gave me plenty of time to play with all the putters.  :)

I was in the putting section for quite a while (45-60 min) thinking that maybe someone would see that I was trying different models, shapes, comparing them, etc. and come over

and engage me.  

I'm not in sales and have never worked in retail, but maybe something along the lines of - "hey, looks like you're checking out the putters.  anything you're looking for? looking to change what you have in the bag?  what length and style do you have now?"

BUT ... nope, not 1 of the dopey sales people came over.

I really don't care if they work on commission or not; a customer is a customer.

I give GS until the end of the year before they close up shop.  I'd be surprised if it lasted longer than that.... and it really is their own fault.

Wish there was a PGA Superstore near me.

BTW - the club selection was minimal.  Looks like they aren't even bothering to restock their shelves.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I spent 1 1/2 hours in my Golfsmith last Thursday after work.....they set up 3 Cobra fairway woods at 16* to try on the launch monitor. I selected the Baffler and traded in a Fly Z+ driver. The staff were informed and very courteous. I hope they survive the coming months.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

I spent 1 1/2 hours in my Golfsmith last Thursday after work.....they set up 3 Cobra fairway woods at 16* to try on the launch monitor. I selected the Baffler and traded in a Fly Z+ driver. The staff were informed and very courteous. I hope they survive the coming months.

Part of the problem is there's no consistency. A lot of the big box stores are just brutal, but if you're lucky enough to have people working there who are knowledgable and have some experience, that's fantastic. 

• 5 weeks later...

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

This is sad.....I have visited and shopped at Golfsmith in Tampa for several years.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Not sad at all.......blowout sale!

Yes, sad because it has been a great resource of equipment for me, especially the ability to use their launch monitors for free.  I have been a pretty good customer over the years.

As one of the only stores around me (sadly no PGA SS) that sells golf equipment I'm really bummed.

Not surprised though.  They took over a Golf Town store about 3 years ago and before that I think it was a big box arts/crafts store.  Their footprint is HUGE.  The store is cavernous and it seems like they struggle to fill it with inventory.  I can only imagine what this looks like on their bottom line and from reading the articles it sounds like the issue isn't necessarily sales but all of the stores that they inherited when they bought Golf Town.

I hope they keep the store near me open and/or move to a smaller location.

For those looking to scoop bargains if there is a liquidation, be careful.  My understanding is that a 3rd party buys all of the inventory, jacks up the prices and then makes it 'seem' like everything is on super sale.

A good read about the Sports Authority closing recently... https://consumerist.com/2016/05/25/heres-what-you-should-remember-before-hitting-sports-authoritys-store-closing-sales-today/

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

There is nothing good that becomes of this, other than possibly launching hundreds of small shops all across the land.... 

If Fiddler's Green is a small shop, then it would be a good thing although I wouldn't call your shop small and your people all seem quite knowledgeable.  I can't say the same for the 2 Golfsmith stores in the Portland area.  No service there.  They are over 200 miles from me, so going to Golfsmith is not an option.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If Fiddler's Green is a small shop, then it would be a good thing although I wouldn't call your shop small and your people all seem quite knowledgeable.  I can't say the same for the 2 Golfsmith stores in the Portland area.  No service there.  They are over 200 miles from me, so going to Golfsmith is not an option.

We don't think of ourselves as a "small" shop, but we are just one location.  I suspect that the potential void created by shuttering 100+ Golf specific stores will allow smaller, Independent shops to fill in. These shops typically, In my experience, employ a more knowledgeable brand of salesman. Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule, and YMMV, but I am always on the side of smaller, locally owned businesses vs Big Box.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

We don't think of ourselves as a "small" shop, but we are just one location.  I suspect that the potential void created by shuttering 100+ Golf specific stores will allow smaller, Independent shops to fill in. These shops typically, In my experience, employ a more knowledgeable brand of salesman. Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule, and YMMV, but I am always on the side of smaller, locally owned businesses vs Big Box.  

Wow!  Fiddler's Green huh?  Thought I'd never hear that name.  I grew up down the road a bit in Harrisburg (just keep going through Jct. City and over the Willamette) and that's the first place I ever played golf!

Glad to hear it's still around.  Hope I can make it back there some day.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Wow!  Fiddler's Green huh?  Thought I'd never hear that name.  I grew up down the road a bit in Harrisburg (just keep going through Jct. City and over the Willamette) and that's the first place I ever played golf!

Glad to hear it's still around.  Hope I can make it back there some day.

Still owned by the same family as 40 years ago.  Plugging along...   

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Stopped in today while my wife and kids were doing some shopping. It is a sad state of affairs right now. Don't have the new Callaway driver yet and not get any stock of the Titleist 917 line. I have come to know several of the guys working there fairly well and really feel for them right now.

WITB 2024

Stopped in today while my wife and kids were doing some shopping. It is a sad state of affairs right now. Don't have the new Callaway driver yet and not get any stock of the Titleist 917 line. I have come to know several of the guys working there fairly well and really feel for them right now.

I thought the new Cally driver wasn't going to be available till the end of the month?  Anyway hate to see anyone lose their job.  There's a pretty good club technician at the closest one to me (about 40 miles) who takes care of me.  I don't buy a lot of clubs from them (picked up some used Titleist 915 hybrids this year from them but only club purchase from them in several years) but find them handy for consumables, clothing and shoes.

• SPY VIP

I feel bad for anyone who loses a job, particularly one they're good at. However, it's clear the golf industry as a whole is in need of some contraction, and ultimately that's a good thing. 

Spoke to a buddy who works at a Golf Smith here in San Antonio.  He reasoning is when Golf Town bought GS, they went on a Store opening spree that finally caught up to them.......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I thought the new Cally driver wasn't going to be available till the end of the month?  Anyway hate to see anyone lose their job.  There's a pretty good club technician at the closest one to me (about 40 miles) who takes care of me.  I don't buy a lot of clubs from them (picked up some used Titleist 915 hybrids this year from them but only club purchase from them in several years) but find them handy for consumables, clothing and shoes.

Might not be, but my friend there told me that they are not getting any inventory of them at that store same as the new 917 line.  Not sure if this is at all stores, but it is at least at the one near me.

WITB 2024

Might not be, but my friend there told me that they are not getting any inventory of them at that store same as the new 917 line.  Not sure if this is at all stores, but it is at least at the one near me.

917 products will not be available to purchase at retail until 10/26.  We will only have the Fitting Components for our Select Fit cart until then. I suspect that most retailers are in the exact same boat..

I used to shop religeously at Golfsmith....until they sold to a Canadian company and quit bartering on used club prices......A few years ago you could trade in clubs and walk out with a fair deal. Several years ago i traded some Mizuno irons for a new set of Nike VR Pro CB's....The last couple times I went in there I noted that the the Mizunos were still on the shalf, priced way out of fairness. So I am not shocked by this bankruptcy news.

My sentiments exactly, I used to shop there looking for good used club deals but I rather spend a little more and buy some new clubs the way they priced their used clubs....fail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

My local store had no new equipment in except for the RTX 3.0 wedges, but extremely limited amounts. They had some new demo clubs. Also, noticed that the used section was very very small and picked over. Prices on last years clubs also haven't been dropped compared to the golf galaxies.

Was on my way home from work and sitting in traffic so I decided to hit a Golfsmith on the back way home to get a few grips. Get there and the store is closing under the bankruptcy. They moved out any inventory that was sale able to other stores and pretty much had demo clubs and a small section of used clubs.

WITB 2024

Was on my way home from work and sitting in traffic so I decided to hit a Golfsmith on the back way home to get a few grips. Get there and the store is closing under the bankruptcy. They moved out any inventory that was sale able to other stores and pretty much had demo clubs and a small section of used clubs.

That is very very sad.

Archived