Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best Game improvement for a woman

captseadog

My wife started golfing 3 years ago. She was shooting 140 on a difficult course. Now she is shooting around 100. The clubs I bought her 3 years ago were $179 and served her well. It is time to help her make the next move. My question is what is a good set of game improvement clubs for a woman who is shooting 100. I will spend up to $500 this time. A lot of womans clubs are mens clubs painted in pastels with a lighter shaft. I am looking for a real set made for women. What are you gals playing?

I bought my wife a set of Adams clubs a few years ago and she loves them. It was a set that included: bag, putter, driver, 3W, 2 hybrids, 2 irons, and a wedge. It's more than enough to create reasonable gaps given her swing speed, and she's a good golfer & athlete.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I bought my wife a set of Adams clubs a few years ago and she loves them. It was a set that included: bag, putter, driver, 3W, 2 hybrids, 2 irons, and a wedge. It's more than enough to create reasonable gaps given her swing speed, and she's a good golfer & athlete.

+1 on the Adams. My wife has played on and off, but when she gets serious again I am going to buy her a new Adams set. They are really strong in the hybrid and fairway categories and most game improvement sets for women are built around those clubs.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Maybe I am a little thick here, but wouldn't any good GI set with the correct length and shafts be a good women's set? Or does one need to worry about the head weight as well.

I know you ask for a women's set, but maybe the "men's" is the best w/ or w/o the "female" paint and graphics.

Regardless, +1 to your wife for playing. Mine resists the kool aide.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

My wife played with some of my old clubs before I bought her the Adams, and the biggest difference (to her) was the weight. My old clubs=very heavy, Adams=light and easy to swing. Not sure if that's purely a reflection of how heavy my old clubs were, but it might be one substantial difference between men's and women's clubs.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

My wife is playing Square Two clubs, which I was told are made by Adams. She has a Cobra 5 iron (the Square Twos stopped at 6) that she likes alot as well. The other gals she plays with have Adams, Callaway, and Taylor Made.

Take your wife to a good golf shop and have her demo a bunch of clubs, same as you would do if you were buying a set for yourself. If you're willing to spend $500, you've got alot of options, but you might want to consider not buying a whole set of clubs and just upgrade pieces of her current set. I know the putter in my wife's set was way to light, and she's getting an Odyssey 2-ball that suits her, and she'll probably get a new driver next.

It kind of sucks, because women's clubs are just as expensive as men's (which of course, why shouldn't they be) and they actually seem to hold thier value better than men's clubs, and most shops don't stock a good variety (if any) of women's clubs, so you're kind of at the mercy of what you can find, unless you know exactly what you want and are going to order it, which means paying top dollar. Its pretty hard to find a $100 women's driver, whereas there's 20 choices for men at that price.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Also, there's a huge difference in the weight of women's clubs, and the weight and flex and even thickness of the shaft. They're much lighter and whippier. Swinging my wifes driver is like swinging a toy club, I think I might actually break it if I hit one on the screws with a full swing!

My wife plays Callaway Solaire clubs. Very easy for her to hit and have fun.

Solaire

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Thanks to all who have responded. It seems like Adams is popular for women. My wife was one of those who said she thought golf was stupid. Chasing a white ball around and getting bit by mosquitos. Well..... I joined a country club and they only had family memberships. I would try and get her to go to dinner or to a social event and she would not enjoy herself because she didn't know anyone and I was talking to many of the members I had golfed with.

One day when she said she did not want to go to a dinner dance we had a long talk. She said she would try golf but would not like it... Well, its several years latter and I am writing this after making my own breakfast because she had a tee time this morning. She fell in love with it. Now, some of you may think that she is just doing this for me and the relationship. Hogwash. She fell in love with it and we can not go anywhere without our clubs. We got a time share in Hilton head and have been to Myrtle Beach and are half way done with the Robert Trent Jones trail. Our vacations are always surrounded by golf. I have created a monster.

Ha! That's a good thing though, imo. I don't think you can go wrong with Adams, great products all across the board imo. My wife has played 3 years and has a beautiful swing. Right when she said she wanted to try it I signed her up for lessons, so she's actually learned to play the RIGHT way, which means very few bad habits! Many of our social and family activities revolve around golf and events at the course as well. You know what they say, those that play together stay together!

Golfing couples are great, congrats on the wife playing the greatest game in the world. Have some fun together!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived