TESTERS WANTED! ×

I am thinking of getting neoprene covers for my Adams A4 irons but I know I will hear an ear full from my buddies.

Would you use them?

What brand if any specific?

And any good come backs for the inevitable b*ll busting?

I use Club Glove iron covers.

If you get flak from your friends, just say something to the effect that you'll be able to afford sending your kids to college while your buddies will be selling their kids to pay for new irons :lol:

I use Club Glove iron covers.

If you get flak from your friends, just say something to the effect that you'll be able to afford sending your kids to college while your buddies will be selling their kids to pay for new irons :lol:

I loved your response, but I wouldn't use IRON covers. However my driver, putter, all my hybrids and fairway woods get covers. Both my girls are thru school so does that get me off the hook? :lol:

Ping G20 Driver & 4, 7 Wood, Dynacraft 4,5,6Hybrid, PingZing2 6-9, PW, SW

• 2 weeks later...

After dropping $900 for a new set of forged mizuno mp68's, I think that $35 for a set of iron covers that keep my irons looking brand new is a good investment. Make sure you dry your club off before you put a cover on your iron though, because if they are wet and you don't use the club for a few days after that, they can rust.

I personally don't use them except when traveling and they have to be handled by others (like on a plane). Other than that, I never use covers. It's not because I care what people think, but because they're worse for your clubs, IMO, than not using them. I don't mind bag chatter either, it gives them character IMO. If you want to keep the

If you decide to use them, do yourself a favor and drop some money on some nice iron covers. Don't just go to walmart and get some cheapies. These are nice http://cgi.ebay.com/10PCS-Adams-Golf-Iron-Head-covers-Headcovers-Club-Black-/250661975749?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5c9e36c5#ht_2596wt_1138 and they come in several colors http://cgi.ebay.com/10PCS-Adams-Golf-Iron-Head-covers-Headcovers-Club-Red-/250662151853?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ca0e6ad#ht_2601wt_1138 They have blue and lime green too at times.

That said, don't keep them on the clubs all the time. Only use them when transporting the clubs to and from the course and when traveling. Don't leave them on at the course or when you get home. The covers trap moisture and dirt. They will cause you to see rust spots on your clubs much sooner than you would by not using them. If you want to protect your clubs while on the course, don't use the iron covers, take a towel and put it between the clubs instead. It won't trap the dirt and moisture like the iron covers will. And if you insist on using them at home, make sure you clean and dry the clubs and let the covers air dry before putting them on. You do not want to trap any dirt or moisture on there as it'll cause the clubs to wear out prematurely. They're fine when used properly, but improperly used will cause you problems in the form of rust.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

i will be part of those that will bust your chops for using iron covers. i think they are unnecessary, stupid, make caddys work harder, and several other words i would ban myself for using onhere.smile.gif

with that said, i TOTALLY understand in todays ebay / craigslist buy and sell mentality wanting to try something out and get the most value for your trade in. its a tough argument even for me.

good luck

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

According to Mizuno's website, you actually shouldn't use headcovers. They trap moisture and sepped up the rust process. From the FAQ section of their website:

My forged irons have rust showing up on the face of the club, what should I do?

Forged heads are made of mild carbon steel that is chrome plated. Once you start hitting golf balls, you scratch the surface of the chrome and eventually expose the raw steel to moisture, and chemicals that can cause rust to form. The best way to minimize rust is to keep the irons dry at all times, wipe them after every shot and at the end of the round with a dry cloth. When cleaning, use only a NYLON brush (no metal) and dry them with a dry towel. If you get some rust forming, spray the surface with WD-40, clean with a soft nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. Some high nitrogen fertilizers, sandy soil conditions and water with high iron content can accelerate the production of rust. The use of iron head covers is not recommended as they trap moisture and accelerate the production of rust.

Yeah, I think that's what I posted above. That you need to use them properly, when the clubs and covers are completely dry and never on the course.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The people that give you crap are the ones that have a total of $250 in all of their equipment. I have about $2000 invested into my equipment, so you better believe I'm going to take good care of it. I clean my clubs after every shot and let them air dry while I'm on my way to my next shot, before I put the covers back on. I use the Club Gloves neoprene covers.

The people that give you crap are the ones that have a total of $250 in all of their equipment. I have about $2000 invested into my equipment, so you better believe I'm going to take good care of it. I clean my clubs after every shot and let them air dry while I'm on my way to my next shot, before I put the covers back on. I use the Club Gloves neoprene covers.

Not true in my case - my clubs are up over the $2k # as well - and i'll still give you all crap - though as i said, i understand.tongue.gif

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I haven't used covers for years but the neoprene ones are probably the least lady like :huh:

As said above, drying before leaving in boot of car / garage is essential to avoid rust.

"The more I practice the luckier I get" - Gary Player

R1, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
RBZ, 14.5, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
R11 17 & 22 Rescues, Motore F3 S flex
Rocketbladez Tour irons, 5 - PW,
ATV 50,54,Tour preferred 58 wedges
Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

I have used a set of clb gloves neoprene on my x forged 07 models with no signs of any rust at all and not one rattle mark either, i ahve only lost my 9 iron cover over these last two years,

to be honest i just put the cover in my pocket when i select my club and put it back on after the shot and cleaning it so it takes an extra 2-3seconds an iron shot maybe?so lets say u have one approach a hole with an iron 18 times two is 36 seconds or 18 times 3 is 54 seconds so less than minute a round for clubs without rattle marks and to mention the noise they make!!!

Only negative is the numbers are bigger and ur playing partners can see ur selection much easier.

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

You could put them on the wrong irons to confuse your opposition :blink:

"The more I practice the luckier I get" - Gary Player

R1, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
RBZ, 14.5, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
R11 17 & 22 Rescues, Motore F3 S flex
Rocketbladez Tour irons, 5 - PW,
ATV 50,54,Tour preferred 58 wedges
Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

Callaway makes a nice set of iron covers, easy on and easy off. I don't use them while I'm on the course but I do use them for when my clubs are away for the winter and also when I travel.

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

• 1 year later...

For years, I thought iron covers were silly and seen only used by senior-aged, cart golfers. Then, coincidentally, I purchased a set of forged irons AND became a senior golfer. I was then overcome with an iron cover obsession to protect my new forged irons. Despite the jazz I receive from my friends, iron covers definitely protect my set from bag chatter. And no, they don't slow down play as a friend suggests. And they are invaluable when traveling.

Many thanks,

BackNine29

No, because they look terrible. What are you guys doing to your clubs that they mark that bad, they go flying into the ground at 80mph plus. Thats going to do more damage than bag chatter ever will. I just throw a towel round the iron before I throw them in the car or on a plane. That said I treat golf clubs as disposable items, not an investment. They are after all essentially a tool used for a game.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I understand that iron covers will save your clubs from unwanted bag chatter, but I think they are ridiculous. Your clubs are hitting a ball at 100+mph, digging into the ground, sometimes rocks, sand blasted from hitting out of bunkers, etc. I will never use iron covers and will continue to make fun of people for using them- they just scream "hacker." To the guy who said that, "The people that give you crap are the ones that have a total of $250 in all of their equipment," well I play a raw set of Scratch DW irons- so... how's that crow taste?

I understand that iron covers will save your clubs from unwanted bag chatter, but I think they are ridiculous. Your clubs are hitting a ball at 100+mph, digging into the ground, sometimes rocks, sand blasted from hitting out of bunkers, etc. I will never use iron covers and will continue to make fun of people for using them- they just scream "hacker." To the guy who said that, "The people that give you crap are the ones that have a total of $250 in all of their equipment," well I play a raw set of Scratch DW irons- so... how's that crow taste?

Could not agree more. Two guys in my regular game have iron covers and they spend more time cleaning clubs and putting on covers during their round that it slows the whole group down. I travelled 40 weeks a year for work for 7 years of my life and always took my clubs on the plane. A players towel wrapped around you irons works just as well. Several hundred flights and not one damaged club.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I don't have any need to bash the guys who use iron covers, if you want to use them, knock yourself out. Personally, I don't see the need, but that's just me. When I travel, I put a sock over the head of each irons and wrap a towel through the heads. Seems to work pretty well.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 1 month later...

I've been using covers for years. Mostly when I walk just to keep the bag noise down and prevent dings. Even more so once I went to playing forged clubs as 18 holes of them smacking into each other can't lead to anything good.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

The following is from Mzizuno's Q&A on their website.....

"Forged heads are made of mild carbon steel that is chrome plated. Once you start hitting golf balls, you scratch the surface of the chrome and eventually expose the raw steel to moisture, and chemicals that can cause rust to form. The best way to minimize rust is to keep the irons dry at all times, wipe them after every shot and at the end of the round with a dry cloth. When cleaning, use only a NYLON brush (no metal) and dry them with a dry towel. If you get some rust forming, spray the surface with WD-40, clean with a soft nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. Some high nitrogen fertilizers, sandy soil conditions and water with high iron content can accelerate the production of rust. The use of iron head covers is not recommended as they trap moisture and accelerate the production of rust."

So I do not think iron covers would be a good thing.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 3 weeks later...

Play Ping irons. No iron covers need apply. Problem solved.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Play Ping irons. No iron covers need apply. Problem solved.

I was foolish.

I bought a bunch of PVC Iron covers, several sets, for my Pings and only after did I realize they were too much trouble pulling off and on during play. It was especially foolish because the 17-4 stainless with tumble finish of the Pings does not lend itself to bag chatter.

Thankfully, those Iron covers are now being put to use on forged heads of some of my newer sets. They are still a job to take off and put on so I take them all off before the round and put them back on after, but at least they are finally being used. Kind of fun too as I'm the only guy, so far, who is using PVC covers at my home course.

Shambles

I have a set of these type of covers --> Hornungs Clearview Clear View Golf Iron Covers.

They are clear so you can easily see the club you are pulling from the bag and work extremely well. However now a days I have a smaller bag then I used to and all of the covers / irons won't fit in the bag that will so i had to remove them. I only putt them back on when I know that I plan to ride in a cart or carry my bag (I have a push cart that is stable enough not to bounce them around a lot that I use). So when I travel or in a situation where I will know dings and bag chatter will happen easily then the covers go back on the irons.

I don't really care that people give me crap about them, I have a set of 2008 Titleist AP2s that have zero bag chatter and look like they only have about 25 round on them, just normal face scratching wear but no rust spots anywhere on the faces from impact.

The head covers do the job in prolonging the life and looks of the clubs IMHO. Some people just don't like the sound of bag chatter or the looks of the result of it, I play forged carbon heads they ding like it is no tomorrow, if you want to use them knock yourself out.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 2 weeks later...

head covers :lol: :lol: :lol:

really

why not just get a club organizer :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're talking about what I'm thinking about, I dearly wish I could find another one. They not only organized my clubs and protected them from bag chatter, they also made the bag roomier and prevented shaft tangle.

I prefer the tray type to the clip type.

Shambles

Headcovers are like bikini tops. they serve a purpose but I prefer to see them bare.:P

I have a set of headcovers but I like the looks of the clubs in the bag. Since I am getting new irons in at the end of the week. I have been debating using them again, but I have decided to try those bag clips that hold the shafts in the bag to keep the heads from banging together.

As far headcover usage in general, I do not replace the head cover on my driver after every use. Well, since I got the new driver I am more careful about letting bump or rub anything if there is a chance I will put the cover back on. I also only use the putter cover when transporting the putter back and forth. I keep hybrid and fairway wood covers on to keep them from banging.

I hope these bag clips work because I much prefer bare breast, I mean iron clubheads.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Headcovers are like bikini tops. they serve a purpose but I prefer to see them bare.:P

You're on a roll, bro! :lol:

Bought some iron covers for the new Mizzy's - spent some $$ and want to keep 'em nice. Will only use them when the clubs are in the trunk - after cleaning and drying. Thanks to the others that posted Mizuno's warranty policy!

Not sure why, but I do put the headcover back on the driver after each use - same with fairway and hybrids. Funny, it never occurred to me not to.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived