Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hope the bag clips you bought work better than mine. The ones I had would come off with the club when taking it out instead of staying in the bag.

I've had about 10 rounds with the MP59 without covers and they are still pristine, mostly thanks to the Nike M9 cart bag which allows all clubs to sit nicely.

I'm also one to put the driver cover after every tee shot, but for the putter I only put it back on after the round (it's well protected in the cart bag anyway).

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

It makes sense to put the covers back on the woods. You really don;t want the paint chipping off from bag chatter and I have not seen any woods finished with anything other than paint in the last 20 years. Besides, they make a lousy tinkling sound when you travel with them uncovered.

Anybody miss the old sewn leather head covers of Persimmon days ? Those were a lot easier to put on and off because they didn't have to protect the shafts.

Shambles

I hate when someone rides in the cart with me that does not use headcovers on their woods, and has 8 or 9 of them and it sounds like a herd of goats going down the fairway.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

It makes sense to put the covers back on the woods. You really don;t want the paint chipping off from bag chatter and I have not seen any woods finished with anything other than paint in the last 20 years. Besides, they make a lousy tinkling sound when you travel with them uncovered.

Anybody miss the old sewn leather head covers of Persimmon days ? Those were a lot easier to put on and off because they didn't have to protect the shafts.

Shambles

You can have those again. Several places make them now. Iliac, Stitch, etc. There are more, but those are two of the most prominent.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Could not agree more. Two guys in my regular game have iron covers and they spend more time cleaning clubs and putting on covers during their round that it slows the whole group down.

X2. There may be people who can use them quickly, but I have yet to play with someone who can.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

You can have those again. Several places make them now. Iliac, Stitch, etc. There are more, but those are two of the most prominent.

Hi RookieBlue7,

Actually in my part of the world hand made is dead easy and so is leather goods, albeit the quality cured leather is more difficult to find. The question was impulsive as I find current head covers excessively large and don't much like the shaft protectors.

I was just asking to see if I were the only one who finds the current head covers unsatisfactory.

Shambles

On sorta another note, has anyone who has a white metal wood/hybrid noticed that they seem to chip easier/quicker than their black cousins?..It's anoying as hell, though I got a little permanent white paint pen to dab the dings..Usually not a perfect match though to me it looks better than the underlyng gray color..Fairways & Greens 4ever

Agreed. Not sure if they actually ding/cheap more easily, but minimally it is more apparent. And the dirt...ugh. I was hitting a Rescue 11 hybrid on a slightly muddy day and had to do a full wash after every shot.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Friends don't let friends buy iron covers.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

On a more serious note, if you use graphite shafts, the head cover is a must. Your 4iron will destroy the graphite shaft on on your driver in no time, banging and clanging on it. I learned that the hard way when I hit a beauty of a drive, only to have the clubhead and about 6 inches of shaft fall on my head during my "pose".

And a $400 driver with a dent in the top is just criminal.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

When this thread started, I was opposed to iron covers. Then I got my Mizuno MP62 heads, and I have to say that these are the most beautiful irons I have ever owned. I realize that the object of the game is to drive these into the ground at as close to 100 mph as possible but I do not want to damage them unnecessarly, so I will admit that I bought a set of Mizuno blue iron covers. I have some cheap ones that are really ugly and old and battered that I never used. But at least for a while I will use them. If you are going to use them, they may as well be nice ones.

• 2 months later...

Well after riding a cart with my brother-inlaw and seeing how his "new" rocket balls look this weekend I am glad I had a set on my irons. Never knew that you get thrown off the seat in a golf cart with nearly 600lb of people in it plus clubs

My Bag

Driver Diablo Edge

Fairway Nickent DX 3 and 5

Hybrid Nickent DT 3 and 4 hybrid

Iron VR Pro Combo5-pw

Wedge Adams Idea Pro 60 and 56

Putter STX X-Form 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've used iron covers forever though about 4-5 yrs ago(I think about then), I went with clear rubber like covers so I can see the the club #...They are marketed by Castle Bay under the name "Clear View Iron Covers"...10 covers for $25.99..

As I play forged irons, as you know, it doesn't take much to ding 'em, especially Mizzunos...I normally use a caddy & so while I'll scrape off any mud/dirt "clumps," he usually just puts the covers back on 'em....

I don't consider myself obsessive, though I always put my covers back on all of my clubs after hitting them, & I tell the caddy to do the same...I can't stand looking down & seeing gauges or dents in my irons & I can't see paying the $$ that we do to have 'em gettin dinged up in the bag, especially on the face side...

I've never used the OEM head cover that comes with the club regardless of their looks or functionality & instead use the soft animal themed covers on my woods/hybrid..While my bag is navy blue, my covers & towels are pink & pink/black for the breast cancer theme...

On sorta another note, has anyone who has a white metal wood/hybrid noticed that they seem to chip easier/quicker than their black cousins?..It's anoying as hell, though I got a little permanent white paint pen to dab the dings..Usually not a perfect match though to me it looks better than the underlyng gray color..Fairways & Greens 4ever

I'm insanely obsessive about keeping my 3-wood clean. I wipe it off with a damp towel after every hit. I've mnaged to sky it once and it was not pretty. Took a while to find the right paint color but eventually got it to match. I redid my Super Hybo because I din't like the silver at all. It's black now, but I thought about white. Honestly considering going black on my RBZ too.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Id never use them because I dont see the point. You are swinging a club into the dirt, so why worry about some slight marks from bag chatter?

IMO, wood covers are a very different thing because you are trying to prevent the paint from chipping (not to mention the constant sound of hollow metalwoods clinking together is annoying) on areas of the clubhead that should never come in contact with something that would damage them (unless you sky a shot).

You can expect your buddies to give you a hard time, even if they are Adams headcovers.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I used them when I played the Xli's since they were more like hybrids than irons and could easily get chipped. I guess that is why Cleveland provided the good quality covers for them. Don't remember getting any flack for using them though.

The Maruman's I just picked up came with some basic head covers. But even though they are quite expensive clubs, I don't really use the covers for anything other than travelling. Getting a few dings in irons is part of the game. The only way they will stay looking new is if you don't play them. :)

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

• 1 month later...

When this thread started, I was opposed to iron covers. Then I got my Mizuno MP62 heads, and I have to say that these are the most beautiful irons I have ever owned. I realize that the object of the game is to drive these into the ground at as close to 100 mph as possible but I do not want to damage them unnecessarily, so I will admit that I bought a set of Mizuno blue iron covers. I have some cheap ones that are really ugly and old and battered that I never used. But at least for a while I will use them. If you are going to use them, they may as well be nice ones.

Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is I can finally stop using these stupid covers. Also, that means that I will not have to make the trip back to the last green or tee or whatever location I hit last because one of the stupid things fell off since the last time I was in the bag. The bad news is why. A buried rock. I was going to take a picture so that we could all be sad together but it just did not turn out too well. Right on the heel of the club I caught a big buried rock and took out a chunk of the 7 iron over a quarter inch long.

Now that they are damaged anyway, and the fact that I have played these everyday since May, they are not new pristine looking irons anymore. So no more iron covers unless they rattle. What is even worse than this is a guy asked if he could hit my R11 driver. He has one but different loft and shaft. I said sure and he hit one on the crown of the club. Not the leading edge but some how a good half inch from there, towards the toe. I have never seen a dent there from playing golf before. I had an electric motor fall on a driver in the back of the truck one time and had a mark in that area but never during a swing.

And that's why I never let anyone hit my clubs without them agreeing that if they sky one, they pay for a replacement.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

And that's why I never let anyone hit my clubs without them agreeing that if they sky one, they pay for a replacement.

This was late Wednesday night, we were playing the 18th hole and it was so close to dark that we could not see where the balls were landing, other than in the lake. I hit the fairway, and then he hit mine and we knew it was a very poor shot and a pop up that splashed. It was not until i got home and in the light that I saw it. No way to prove anything at that point even if I tried.

I don't use them simply because I'd loose them faster than I could pay for them - I think they're a great idea - who wouldn't want to protect an investment like his golf clubs?

I have enough trouble hanging onto my wood and hybrid covers and have totally given up on the putter. My clubs always end up having "character."

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Still, don't give up on the irons, keep the covers on. Even though ya gotta a gauge on one, nothin looks worse than a beat up set of Mizzys..lol. It's like someone drivin a S550 & lettin it get trashed on the inside & dented on the outside.

You got great clubs, & trust me, 95% of the time that you're on the course, no one has nicer. Don't give up on the covers :)

Actually, I think my back up, "Traveling Bag", is nicer than 90% of the clubs.

This is the Callaway Razr Fit and Ben Hogans. I put the iron covers back on the Mizzies after about three holes. I found that it really messed with my pre-shot and post-shot routine. Once you get used to something it is hard to not do it. After checking all my pockets and normal hiding places for the cover while I hit it, I decided it was simply easier to put them back on.:D

I am planning on shipping a complete set to Europe to the job site, yeah we are months behind schedule waiting for the European Union to get all the ducks in a row. I like the idea of the more forgiveness and greater distance of the Hogans over the Mizzies. Hogans have minimal offset and cavity backs and a pretty hot face.

I will have a combination of these two sets in Florida this week, and am playing the Hogans now to see, but it looks like it will be TMag and Hogans. I have not really decided what driver I am sending to Europe just yet. It will either be the Callaway or a Titleist 909. If it is the Titleist I will also send matching 3 wood and hybrids.

Archived