TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Pops need a new driver shaft

So my Dad is in love with the Ping I15 and is dying to get one ever since the demo day we had about 2 months ago. Now he can't remember what shaft he hit in the I15 but he remembers the Ping guy was having him hit a stiff flex and then for irons he was hitting a Project X 5.5. For some details he is 61 yrs old and plays to about an 8 hcp with a swing speed of about 95-97 MPH. So if you guys could suggest a shaft for him what would you suggest. I should also mention that he hits an average drive about 230-240 with a older Cleveland Launcher 460 with a 65g regular flex Graffaloy Pro Launch Blue shaft and wants some more distance. Any shaft suggestions would be appreciated.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

Yes Moe He does have a rather low ball flight. He needs a shaft that can get the ball up in the air and give him some added distance.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

The Pro Launch Blue is a high launching shaft already, and the stock shafts for the i15 - TFC and Axivcore Red - are pretty high launching as well. Not certain if a different shaft is the answer.

He may want to get fit for a higher spinning ball, or it could even be as simple fix as having him tee the ball higher at set-up.

• 1 month later...

The serrano shaft comes in that club and in a regule flex might just what the fitter ordered.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

So my Dad is in love with the Ping I15 and is dying to get one ever since the demo day we had about 2 months ago. Now he can't remember what shaft he hit in the I15 but he remembers the Ping guy was having him hit a stiff flex and then for irons he was hitting a Project X 5.5. For some details he is 61 yrs old and plays to about an 8 hcp with a swing speed of about 95-97 MPH. So if you guys could suggest a shaft for him what would you suggest. I should also mention that he hits an average drive about 230-240 with a older Cleveland Launcher 460 with a 65g regular flex Graffaloy Pro Launch Blue shaft and wants some more distance. Any shaft suggestions would be appreciated.

The shaft has little to do with launch angle, but it does have an effect on it's apex (this is from three credible sources: Jeff Summit of Hireko, Jeff Sheets of Golfsmith and Roger Maltby of Golfworks). There's only about 1* of difference from a high kickpoint shaft to a low kickpoint version. The kick point (also called bend point) has more to do with how a shaft feels than launch angle.

If your dad needs a higher launch, he should most likely look at a higher-lofted driver. Either he was demoing a higher-lofted model, he was inadvertantly (and to his benefit) teeing the ball higher than he normally does, the i15 could have more vertical roll than his current model, or any combination of all three. By teeing the ball higher, he'd enact the driver's vertical gear effect (especially with a driver with more roll)- it's a spot roughly .5" above the dead center of the face. Think of it like two gears: one gear (the face) spins one way, which makes the other gear (the ball) spin the opposite way. No, it doesn't completely eliminate backspin. As Jeff Sheets puts it: "the vertical roll wins a battle, but the ball wins the war" in terms of backspin. This should come close to optimizing his launch conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

More distance? Higher loft and lighter weight are the two keys. If he can wait just a little while longer, the Miyazaki C.Kua is coming to public release. You're not going to find a more stable shaft at a lighter weight than what they offer.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived