Golfware

Softest irons I've ever hit... bar none...

Our Sponsors

So the other day I was able to hit the Callaway X-Prototypes. MY WORD, they are soft. This particular set had Rifle 6.0's in them, and man, they were SO SO soft. Whoa. Now mind you, I don't have the game to hit the X Proto's. The sole is too thin with barely any bounce, and there's not much offset. But whoa, the feel was just insane!

Anyone gaming these??

What's your take on the softest iron you've ever hit?

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

It's funny, one day some time ago I hit a demo forged iron and then hit a Ping iron to see if I could tell a difference in feel.

For good swings, I swear the cast Ping iron felt just as good as the forged iron. For bad swings, both felt just as bad!

Go figure.

Posted Image

It's funny, one day some time ago I hit a demo forged iron and then hit a Ping iron to see if I could tell a difference in feel.

For good swings, I swear the cast Ping iron felt just as good as the forged iron. For bad swings, both felt just as bad!

Go figure.

Ha-ha-ha-ha... yep. I know what you mean.... ha-ha-ha-ha...

Go figure.

Are you kidding? LOL I know the professionals say that if we were blindfolded we couldn't tell the difference between forged and cast.... but I totally disagree. I have the Proto's and they are very very sweet. I believe it all comes down to what you like sound wise as to the feel. I have played just about every iron out there as far as Hoffman,Endo,Miura,and Chuo to name a few. I play tour equipment and have played retail blades. Personally I feel that my MP-29's were one of the softest blades I ever hit. On the other hand i played hogan's that were done by Endo and they felt great as well but just a little more crisp or the sound was different and made them seem a little harder if thats at all possible. I'm going to be testing that theory this year as I picked up a set of TM B heads. These are supposedly some new tech that makes cast feel like forged. i will get back to everyone come July when I hopefully have some swings under my belt. but to get back to the Cally Proto's EXCELLENT IRONS!!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I don't agree with saying that forged and cast irons feel the same when struck well. I used to game a set of Callaway X-14s and while they felt OK when flushed, there is a world of difference in feel between them and my current forged Mizunos. When flushed, the Mizunos have a very nice feel. It's like you are hitting at something soft and the vibration is damped very nicely. It's a feeling that you need to experience.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

My Hogan '67 Percussions...super soft.

Ain't no bounce either.

Razor sharp leading edges as far as golf clubs go.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I can deifintely tell the difference between the forged clubs I've played, Cally x-forged, Cleveland TA 3 and Mizuno MP 60, and the cast clubs, Ping S58 and TM R7TP. The feeling is so much greater with the forged is that much greater.

Driver: Titleist TS2 8.5*/ Fujikura  Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7 x stiff
Fairway: Titleist TS2 13.5*/ Fujikura Speeder 857 TR x stiff
Fairway: Titleist TS2 18*/ Fujikura Speeder 869 Evolution TS 8.2 stiff
Hybrid/ Driving Iron: Titleist TS3 21*/ Fujikura Speeder 869 Evolution TS  x stiff
Irons: Titleist  T200 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 120 Stiff
Wedges: Vokey SM8 48*F/ TT DG s200
Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200
Wedges: Vokey SM8 58*D/ TT DG s200
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"
Ball: Titleist Pro Pro V1

I know I'm probably just blowing steam now, but Mizuno irons are sooooooo soft. I think any muscle back can feel soft when struck on the button, but even Mizuno cavity backs feel great. I just got the MX-300s, loving them.

Titleist 909D2 | Taylormade r7 Ti | Titleist 909 H 19* | Mizuno MX-300 4-GW - Nippon 1050GH | Vokey SM 56*, 60* | Odyssey Black Series i #9 - UST Frequency Filtered |

So the other day I was able to hit the Callaway X-Prototypes. MY WORD, they are soft. This particular set had Rifle 6.0's in them, and man, they were SO SO soft. Whoa. Now mind you, I don't have the game to hit the X Proto's. The sole is too thin with barely any bounce, and there's not much offset. But whoa, the feel was just insane!

Anyone gaming these??

Softest irons I've ever hit were the 1999 edition of the Maxfli Australian Blades, the companion to the black and red dot Revolution irons.

Hitting a wound ball with these was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

And this was after hitting MP-14s. I'll admit my expectations were low, at the time, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Like an idiot, I never scored a set. Such is life.

Cobra King LTD @ 10.5*, ProtoPype 80 X, 43.5"
2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
3-PW:  Mizuno MP37, DGS300
GW: Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
SW:  Ram TG-898 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, Cleveland Designed By, or Mizuno TPM-2, all at 34", or Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Pro or FG Tour, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc

Sometimes play 2-PW Golden Ram TW282 or 2-PW 1980 Golden Rams

Occasionally swap in Orlimar or Ram persimmons at the top end of bag

I've been playing raw MP 33s for the last three years which feel softer than the satin set before it which feel softer than the chrome set I had before that. Hitting an MP 33, or any Mizzy forged iron for that matter, on the sweet spot is one of the greatest feelings in golf in my opinion.

Haven't been getting to play as much as I'd like lately so I'm going to demo some Miura RAC CBs in the next month or so to try and get a little more forgiveness. Not a lot but I need some more face to hit the ball right now unfortunately.

Nothing like puring one into the Red Sea off the back of a ship doing fifteen knots...

TM M5 10* w/Graphite Design Tour AD GP-7x Black

TM M5 15* w/Tensei Blue 80x tipped 1"

Titleist 818H2 19* w/Tensei White 80x or TM 790 UDI 2 (weakened to 19*) w/Project X LZ 6.5

Honma Rose Proto 4 - 10 w/Nippon Modus 2 120 x

TM 52* and 58* Milled Grind w/Project X 6.5

TM 64* Hi Toe w/Project X 6.5

Odyssey Tank 7 w/Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0

Pro V1x

Anyone gaming these??

Ramon,

Ive been using these for the past few weeks and everyone that has tried them is looking for a set, they are soft, workable and pretty forgiving

Softest irons I've ever hit were the 1999 edition of the Maxfli Australian Blades, the companion to the black and red dot Revolution irons.

Hitting a wound ball with these was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

And this was after hitting MP-14s. I'll admit my expectations were low, at the time, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Like an idiot, I never scored a set. Such is life.

Funny I still have a set of Mizuno Mp-14's and a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Pro One set is one of the best retail blades ever made and the other is one of the best CB's set ever made. My Only qualm with Mizuno was that many of their sets have too much offset in the scoring clubs. That's why it's nice to mix a set of 29's and 14's where the 14's scoring clubs 7-pw go well with the 29's 2-6. I think that's what Tiger used in his amateur days?

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

Funny I still have a set of Mizuno Mp-14's and a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Pro One set is one of the best retail blades ever made and the other is one of the best CB's set ever made. My Only qualm with Mizuno was that many of their sets have too much offset in the scoring clubs. That's why it's nice to mix a set of 29's and 14's where the 14's scoring clubs 7-pw go well with the 29's 2-6. I think that's what Tiger used in his amateur days?

should be the other way around because the 14s were bigger and had more offset

Softest irons ever where the Vulcan Nickel blades (mid 1990's I believe). I love forged irons and even played copper Clevelands for awhile because I really liked the soft feel. The Vulcan blades where actually too soft, lost feel because of this. They are based off the old Ram Grind irons that I believe Watson played forever. The next closed I've hit would be MP-14's.. Still the best Blades I have ever hit.

Specs...

You know it's like right and wrong according to Mizuno retired club specs. Now i should have had all my clubs checked but I remember using 4-6 29's and 7-pw 14's because the actual heads on the 14's were smaller now maybe a couple of the offsets were larger but faces were not. I remember my mp29 wedge was like a shovel and I couldn't stand looking at it. maybe I'm crazy but that's what I recall. Now I did get these sets from a tour players or maybe these had some special grinds that I wasn't aware of...this was atleast 12-15 years ago.

Anyway here's the specs from MIzuno and it's kind of strange:

MP14's

1-6 iron had .14

7-pw had .13

SW had .10

MP29's

1-5 had .11

6-8 had .13

9-pw had .15

SW had .16

that's some weird offsets if you ask me.

The real set was the MP-33 I think there best selling set it was actually a little more normal

2-8 had .110

9-pw had .102

I wish I had both all my sets. At one time I had 8 sets of Mizunos 2'TN-87's 2- 14's and 2-29's and 1 Raw 29's and 1 set of 33's.

All I know is that Mizzy made some very soft forgings (CHUO)

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

Ramon,

Ive been using these for the past few weeks and everyone that has tried them is looking for a set, they are soft, workable and pretty forgiving

Hey Jay,

Oh I know. Man, maybe I should believe more in myself and get these. They are SO freaking soft. Whoa. Just so so soft. Of course they are workable, but may be a bit TOO workable for me.... LOL

And I must admit that some of the hardest forgings I've played was the TM 300 Forged. The retail version of course, not the Japan forged, Box Toe Lehman ultra grind versions...

My softest and probably favorite irons were the Tour Stage 202's - very soft indeed! I have had 2 different sets and both were buttery! While I'm currently playing some Cobra Pro CBs that Dana fit to me I have recently hit the MX300s at a Demo Day and since I have been lusting for them - nothing quite like a Mizzy!

I've been playing raw MP 33s for the last three years which feel softer than the satin set before it which feel softer than the chrome set I had before that. Hitting an MP 33, or any Mizzy forged iron for that matter, on the sweet spot is one of the greatest feelings in golf in my opinion.

Haven't been getting to play as much as I'd like lately so I'm going to demo some Miura RAC CBs in the next month or so to try and get a little more forgiveness. Not a lot but I need some more face to hit the ball right now unfortunately.

I have had my share of smooth sets, and a lot of the smooth feel I believe comes from the shaft as well.

My history of soft irons began with the MP14, then moved on to Pro II, Mp29,mp33, mp37(a bit harder feel), Nike proCombo, Cleveland TA1 gun metal, Ping i3+, Mp60 and finally The MP62 Black Nickel with the KBS tour shaft. I had a miura forged set that was stolen and that is the only set that has come close to the 62s black nickel. Unfortunately the black nickel isn't sold in the US for some reason. Mizuno made the same mistake with teh MP Craft 425 the fisrt proper mizzy driver.

Mizuno

MP-630 FT Oban devotion 6 X || MP Craft 425 9.5° X-CON 6 X

F60 15° Grafalloy PL RED X || MP Ti 18 ° USt axiv core Black

MP FLI-HI 21° Steelfiber 110i X

MP62 Black Nickel 4-PW KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

MP T10 RAW Black Satin 52° 56° 60° KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

C-05 35''