TESTERS WANTED! ×

Softest irons I've ever hit... bar none...

Golfware

So the other day I was able to hit the Callaway X-Prototypes. MY WORD, they are soft. This particular set had Rifle 6.0's in them, and man, they were SO SO soft. Whoa. Now mind you, I don't have the game to hit the X Proto's. The sole is too thin with barely any bounce, and there's not much offset. But whoa, the feel was just insane!

Anyone gaming these??

What's your take on the softest iron you've ever hit?

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

It's funny, one day some time ago I hit a demo forged iron and then hit a Ping iron to see if I could tell a difference in feel.

For good swings, I swear the cast Ping iron felt just as good as the forged iron. For bad swings, both felt just as bad!

Go figure.

It's funny, one day some time ago I hit a demo forged iron and then hit a Ping iron to see if I could tell a difference in feel.

For good swings, I swear the cast Ping iron felt just as good as the forged iron. For bad swings, both felt just as bad!

Go figure.

Ha-ha-ha-ha... yep. I know what you mean.... ha-ha-ha-ha...

Go figure.

Are you kidding? LOL I know the professionals say that if we were blindfolded we couldn't tell the difference between forged and cast.... but I totally disagree. I have the Proto's and they are very very sweet. I believe it all comes down to what you like sound wise as to the feel. I have played just about every iron out there as far as Hoffman,Endo,Miura,and Chuo to name a few. I play tour equipment and have played retail blades. Personally I feel that my MP-29's were one of the softest blades I ever hit. On the other hand i played hogan's that were done by Endo and they felt great as well but just a little more crisp or the sound was different and made them seem a little harder if thats at all possible. I'm going to be testing that theory this year as I picked up a set of TM B heads. These are supposedly some new tech that makes cast feel like forged. i will get back to everyone come July when I hopefully have some swings under my belt. but to get back to the Cally Proto's EXCELLENT IRONS!!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I don't agree with saying that forged and cast irons feel the same when struck well. I used to game a set of Callaway X-14s and while they felt OK when flushed, there is a world of difference in feel between them and my current forged Mizunos. When flushed, the Mizunos have a very nice feel. It's like you are hitting at something soft and the vibration is damped very nicely. It's a feeling that you need to experience.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

My Hogan '67 Percussions...super soft.

Ain't no bounce either.

Razor sharp leading edges as far as golf clubs go.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I can deifintely tell the difference between the forged clubs I've played, Cally x-forged, Cleveland TA 3 and Mizuno MP 60, and the cast clubs, Ping S58 and TM R7TP. The feeling is so much greater with the forged is that much greater.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.0*/Accra Tour Zx475 75 x stiff
Fairway: Titleist TSi2 13.5*/Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 85 x stiff
Hybrid/ Driving Iron: Titleist U505 3 iron 20*/ Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff
Irons: Cobra Forged Tec 4-PW/ KBS C Taper stiff hard stepped once
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50*F/ KBS C Taper x stiff
Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200
Wedges: Vokey Hand Ground 58*T/ TT DG Tour s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"
Ball: Titleist Pro Pro V1

I know I'm probably just blowing steam now, but Mizuno irons are sooooooo soft. I think any muscle back can feel soft when struck on the button, but even Mizuno cavity backs feel great. I just got the MX-300s, loving them.

Titleist 909D2 | Taylormade r7 Ti | Titleist 909 H 19* | Mizuno MX-300 4-GW - Nippon 1050GH | Vokey SM 56*, 60* | Odyssey Black Series i #9 - UST Frequency Filtered |

So the other day I was able to hit the Callaway X-Prototypes. MY WORD, they are soft. This particular set had Rifle 6.0's in them, and man, they were SO SO soft. Whoa. Now mind you, I don't have the game to hit the X Proto's. The sole is too thin with barely any bounce, and there's not much offset. But whoa, the feel was just insane!

Anyone gaming these??

Softest irons I've ever hit were the 1999 edition of the Maxfli Australian Blades, the companion to the black and red dot Revolution irons.

Hitting a wound ball with these was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

And this was after hitting MP-14s. I'll admit my expectations were low, at the time, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Like an idiot, I never scored a set. Such is life.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I've been playing raw MP 33s for the last three years which feel softer than the satin set before it which feel softer than the chrome set I had before that. Hitting an MP 33, or any Mizzy forged iron for that matter, on the sweet spot is one of the greatest feelings in golf in my opinion.

Haven't been getting to play as much as I'd like lately so I'm going to demo some Miura RAC CBs in the next month or so to try and get a little more forgiveness. Not a lot but I need some more face to hit the ball right now unfortunately.

TM SIM2 w/PX Green "Hulk" 6.5TX

Honma 16.5* w/Vizard Blue 70

Honma 18* (set at 20*) w/Aldila NV Blue

Honma TR20B 4 - 10 w/Nippon Modus 130

Honma 52*, 58* (bent to 57*), 60* (bent to 62*) w/Nippon Modus wedge shafts

Odyssey Tank 7

Pro V1x

Anyone gaming these??

Ramon,

Ive been using these for the past few weeks and everyone that has tried them is looking for a set, they are soft, workable and pretty forgiving

Softest irons I've ever hit were the 1999 edition of the Maxfli Australian Blades, the companion to the black and red dot Revolution irons.

Hitting a wound ball with these was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

And this was after hitting MP-14s. I'll admit my expectations were low, at the time, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Like an idiot, I never scored a set. Such is life.

Funny I still have a set of Mizuno Mp-14's and a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Pro One set is one of the best retail blades ever made and the other is one of the best CB's set ever made. My Only qualm with Mizuno was that many of their sets have too much offset in the scoring clubs. That's why it's nice to mix a set of 29's and 14's where the 14's scoring clubs 7-pw go well with the 29's 2-6. I think that's what Tiger used in his amateur days?

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

Funny I still have a set of Mizuno Mp-14's and a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Pro One set is one of the best retail blades ever made and the other is one of the best CB's set ever made. My Only qualm with Mizuno was that many of their sets have too much offset in the scoring clubs. That's why it's nice to mix a set of 29's and 14's where the 14's scoring clubs 7-pw go well with the 29's 2-6. I think that's what Tiger used in his amateur days?

should be the other way around because the 14s were bigger and had more offset

Softest irons ever where the Vulcan Nickel blades (mid 1990's I believe). I love forged irons and even played copper Clevelands for awhile because I really liked the soft feel. The Vulcan blades where actually too soft, lost feel because of this. They are based off the old Ram Grind irons that I believe Watson played forever. The next closed I've hit would be MP-14's.. Still the best Blades I have ever hit.

Specs...

KWheels 

You know it's like right and wrong according to Mizuno retired club specs. Now i should have had all my clubs checked but I remember using 4-6 29's and 7-pw 14's because the actual heads on the 14's were smaller now maybe a couple of the offsets were larger but faces were not. I remember my mp29 wedge was like a shovel and I couldn't stand looking at it. maybe I'm crazy but that's what I recall. Now I did get these sets from a tour players or maybe these had some special grinds that I wasn't aware of...this was atleast 12-15 years ago.

Anyway here's the specs from MIzuno and it's kind of strange:

MP14's

1-6 iron had .14

7-pw had .13

SW had .10

MP29's

1-5 had .11

6-8 had .13

9-pw had .15

SW had .16

that's some weird offsets if you ask me.

The real set was the MP-33 I think there best selling set it was actually a little more normal

2-8 had .110

9-pw had .102

I wish I had both all my sets. At one time I had 8 sets of Mizunos 2'TN-87's 2- 14's and 2-29's and 1 Raw 29's and 1 set of 33's.

All I know is that Mizzy made some very soft forgings (CHUO)

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

Ramon,

Ive been using these for the past few weeks and everyone that has tried them is looking for a set, they are soft, workable and pretty forgiving

Hey Jay,

Oh I know. Man, maybe I should believe more in myself and get these. They are SO freaking soft. Whoa. Just so so soft. Of course they are workable, but may be a bit TOO workable for me.... LOL

And I must admit that some of the hardest forgings I've played was the TM 300 Forged. The retail version of course, not the Japan forged, Box Toe Lehman ultra grind versions...

My softest and probably favorite irons were the Tour Stage 202's - very soft indeed! I have had 2 different sets and both were buttery! While I'm currently playing some Cobra Pro CBs that Dana fit to me I have recently hit the MX300s at a Demo Day and since I have been lusting for them - nothing quite like a Mizzy!

I've been playing raw MP 33s for the last three years which feel softer than the satin set before it which feel softer than the chrome set I had before that. Hitting an MP 33, or any Mizzy forged iron for that matter, on the sweet spot is one of the greatest feelings in golf in my opinion.

Haven't been getting to play as much as I'd like lately so I'm going to demo some Miura RAC CBs in the next month or so to try and get a little more forgiveness. Not a lot but I need some more face to hit the ball right now unfortunately.

I have had my share of smooth sets, and a lot of the smooth feel I believe comes from the shaft as well.

My history of soft irons began with the MP14, then moved on to Pro II, Mp29,mp33, mp37(a bit harder feel), Nike proCombo, Cleveland TA1 gun metal, Ping i3+, Mp60 and finally The MP62 Black Nickel with the KBS tour shaft. I had a miura forged set that was stolen and that is the only set that has come close to the 62s black nickel. Unfortunately the black nickel isn't sold in the US for some reason. Mizuno made the same mistake with teh MP Craft 425 the fisrt proper mizzy driver.

Mizuno

MP-630 FT Oban devotion 6 X || MP Craft 425 9.5° X-CON 6 X

F60 15° Grafalloy PL RED X || MP Ti 18 ° USt axiv core Black

MP FLI-HI 21° Steelfiber 110i X

MP62 Black Nickel 4-PW KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

MP T10 RAW Black Satin 52° 56° 60° KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

C-05 35''

My history of soft irons began with the MP14, then moved on to Pro II, Mp29,mp33, mp37(a bit harder feel), Nike proCombo, Cleveland TA1 gun metal, Ping i3+, Mp60 and finally The MP62 Black Nickel with the KBS tour shaft. I had a miura forged set that was stolen and that is the only set that has come close to the 62s black nickel.

Is that all????

My litany includes Mp14, Mp14, Mp14, TA1, TA2, DCI 990, DCI 990b, DCI 962, 690.mb, 690.cb, Hogan Apex, Precept Tour Premium, MacGregor 675, 685, Cleveland CG Red... then????

Soft is a misnomer. People equate sound with feel. A club with a sound in a certain frequency range will "feel softer" to certain people. The forged V cast myth is just that, a Myth. JMHO...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Is that all????

My litany includes Mp14, Mp14, Mp14, TA1, TA2, DCI 990, DCI 990b, DCI 962, 690.mb, 690.cb, Hogan Apex, Precept Tour Premium, MacGregor 675, 685, Cleveland CG Red... then????

Soft is a misnomer. People equate sound with feel. A club with a sound in a certain frequency range will "feel softer" to certain people. The forged V cast myth is just that, a Myth. JMHO...

I have own multiple set during my time as shop manager but these were the set I really liked and set a new standard for all future sets. I forgot the DCI 990b, loved that club first set I shot par with. Or the Hogan apex or FTX.

The point I was making is that there is so many parameters for feel that only the person hitting the club can make a true judgment, otherwise everyone would be hitting the same club if the only parameter was smooth, soft or buttery feel was the only parameter that we were looking for in a club.

excuse me for rambling on, I think you are completely right and this is probably the reason why I always turn to the mizzy when looking for feel and performance that suites me.

Mizuno

MP-630 FT Oban devotion 6 X || MP Craft 425 9.5° X-CON 6 X

F60 15° Grafalloy PL RED X || MP Ti 18 ° USt axiv core Black

MP FLI-HI 21° Steelfiber 110i X

MP62 Black Nickel 4-PW KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

MP T10 RAW Black Satin 52° 56° 60° KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

C-05 35''

I know. Why do we in the US get the shaft when it comes to sweet looking and feeling forged irons. Man. I need to take a trip to Japan with an empty staff bag! LOL

Daiwa DG-201's. If you even LOOK at these the wrong way they would get a ding in them. Super soft. I will post pics of these once I reshaft them with the KBS Tours (that just arrived today at lunchtime :wub: ) and the red w/ black rings ferrules ordered from cell-parts mfg.

I can't friggin' wait for the snow to melt!

I've got a Nickent ARC Gap Wedge. Extremely soft. Would like to try out their irons.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I have had my share of smooth sets, and a lot of the smooth feel I believe comes from the shaft as well.

My history of soft irons began with the MP14, then moved on to Pro II, Mp29,mp33, mp37(a bit harder feel), Nike proCombo, Cleveland TA1 gun metal, Ping i3+, Mp60 and finally The MP62 Black Nickel with the KBS tour shaft. I had a miura forged set that was stolen and that is the only set that has come close to the 62s black nickel. Unfortunately the black nickel isn't sold in the US for some reason. Mizuno made the same mistake with teh MP Craft 425 the fisrt proper mizzy driver.

All three sets of my MP 33s have had the same set of tour flighted rifle 6.5s in them. I've moved them from set to set every time.

Odyssey Tank 7

Pro V1x

I have a set of the Miura Racs and they are not very forgiving at all. Beautiful irons but quite harsh on miss-hits for a cb. Agree with others that the Mp29's are a very soft feeling Mizzy iron, they are actually my favorite mizzys. However the softest irons I've ever hit (and I've hit plenty) are the TourStage Z101's. Endo forged and absolutely sweet feeling.

Cobra S2 9.5 with Aldila Voodoo reg.

Sonartec SS 3.5 14* with Fuji tour platform.

TM V-Steel 18* 5 wood with stock reax stiff shaft.

Sonartec HB-001 21* hybrid with graphite design stiff.

4-pw KZG Evolution irons with Rifle 5.0 Flighted.

TM rac gap wedge 52/8 with DG wedge flex.

Mizuno MPT 10 56* sw with DG wedge flex.

Knockoff 2 ball putter.

ProV1 or Bridgestone 330RX.

I have a set of the Miura Racs and they are not very forgiving at all. Beautiful irons but quite harsh on miss-hits for a cb. Agree with others that the Mp29's are a very soft feeling Mizzy iron, they are actually my favorite mizzys. However the softest irons I've ever hit (and I've hit plenty) are the TourStage Z101's. Endo forged and absolutely sweet feeling.

True, but they are more forgiving than straight blades to me. I'm not looking for Big Bertha type forgiveness, I'm just looking for a slightly bigger sweet spot. I've played them before, it's just been quite a while so I'm going to give them another shot. Workability is still important to me so they could be the best of both worlds for now...

Odyssey Tank 7

Pro V1x

I'm surprized no one has mentioned Scratch. I have a really good friend who lives in Wales and he own's his own Golf shop over there and he says their doing very well and that they are the softest iron he's ever hit. Now I say we have our own version of who's the best but he swears theres nothing better, well I need to get a couple samples 7 iron of the SB-1's and a 6 iron of AR-1's. I think a nice set of blades or maybe a combo set may just make the wife even happier to see another New box of clubs arrive for this season. Not all of you know but I've missed two seasons due to some major injuries when I fell from approximately 18' off a ladder and screwed up my left knee. Well you know how it goes(or maybe you don't) but WC drags everything out instead of fixing things right away. Long story short I have a New left Knee(total knee replacement) I was hurt on April of 08 after first surgery I tried a couple rounds but the knee was shot.I am hoping to play this season but who knows for sure. So in the mean time to keep my spirits high, I've been buying and selling ....more buying then selling :lol: but I have two new sets to try when ever I start up again. So hell whats another set especially if it's as good as my best bud says Scratch irons are!! Heck maybe I can get the full treatment and have the great Don white build a set like I was a Tour player.... Boy am I going on and on :wacko: but this is how I am when I get started talking about golf with another crazy club fanatic such as myself.Well my buddy Mark has got my wheels a spinning again. Well I'm hoping to get a couple demo's before I put out that type of cash. Plus that means I'll have to sell probably at least 2 of my other lovely sets :angry: maybe even 3 and to do that these better be the HOLY GRAIL of Forged irons!!! :lol:

Oh well I guess I'll end this as I think I used up all my minutes on this one post. Good Nite all see ya in the am God Willing. Jeez I love forged Irons.....

Tim :blink:

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X