Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Softest irons I've ever hit... bar none...

Golfware

I'm surprized no one has mentioned Scratch. I have a really good friend who lives in Wales and he own's his own Golf shop over there and he says their doing very well and that they are the softest iron he's ever hit. Now I say we have our own version of who's the best but he swears theres nothing better, well I need to get a couple samples 7 iron of the SB-1's and a 6 iron of AR-1's. I think a nice set of blades or maybe a combo set may just make the wife even happier to see another New box of clubs arrive for this season. Not all of you know but I've missed two seasons due to some major injuries when I fell from approximately 18' off a ladder and screwed up my left knee. Well you know how it goes(or maybe you don't) but WC drags everything out instead of fixing things right away. Long story short I have a New left Knee(total knee replacement) I was hurt on April of 08 after first surgery I tried a couple rounds but the knee was shot.I am hoping to play this season but who knows for sure. So in the mean time to keep my spirits high, I've been buying and selling ....more buying then selling :D but I have two new sets to try when ever I start up again. So hell whats another set especially if it's as good as my best bud says Scratch irons are!! Heck maybe I can get the full treatment and have the great Don white build a set like I was a Tour player.... Boy am I going on and on :wacko: but this is how I am when I get started talking about golf with another crazy club fanatic such as myself.Well my buddy Mark has got my wheels a spinning again. Well I'm hoping to get a couple demo's before I put out that type of cash. Plus that means I'll have to sell probably at least 2 of my other lovely sets :angry: maybe even 3 and to do that these better be the HOLY GRAIL of Forged irons!!! :lol:

Oh well I guess I'll end this as I think I used up all my minutes on this one post. Good Nite all see ya in the am God Willing. Jeez I love forged Irons.....

Tim :blink:

Yes, I would concur. I have had Scratch wedges in the past and they are very soft and very sweet. My friend let me borrow his set of EZ/AR combo, and they are nice... although truth be told, I didn't hit them better than my 09 Burner's. They make an excellent product though. But they are not the Holy Grail of Forged irons, IMHGO. At least for me they aren't. Everyone has their own opinion, but I'd prefer a set of Callaway X-Proto's with Aerotech Steelfiber shafts in them. NOW THAT's the Holy Grail of irons.... at least for me it is.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

I love my Ping's, but I've hit my friend's Mizuno MP-58's and nothing feels like a forged iron when flushed. You can't even compare the two.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

While I don't think these are nearly the softest irons I've hit 990B's were SWEET clubs. I ended up getting rid of them because I couldn't bend them upright enough... How about we go with this question, hopefully not preceived as a thread jack.

What are the SOFTEST NON FORGED or Cast irons you have ever played. Regardless of Forged vs Cast as a "myth" I'm interested in what this turns into.

990B's for me followed by Eye 2's.

KWheels 

While I don't think these are nearly the softest irons I've hit 990B's were SWEET clubs. I ended up getting rid of them because I couldn't bend them upright enough... How about we go with this question, hopefully not preceived as a thread jack.

What are the SOFTEST NON FORGED or Cast irons you have ever played. Regardless of Forged vs Cast as a "myth" I'm interested in what this turns into.

990B's for me followed by Eye 2's.

Definately Maxfli A10 Tours. They are a nickel/chrome finish and very, very soft. In fact softer feeling than most forged irons I have used.

Cobra S2 9.5 with Aldila Voodoo reg.

Sonartec SS 3.5 14* with Fuji tour platform.

TM V-Steel 18* 5 wood with stock reax stiff shaft.

Sonartec HB-001 21* hybrid with graphite design stiff.

4-pw KZG Evolution irons with Rifle 5.0 Flighted.

TM rac gap wedge 52/8 with DG wedge flex.

Mizuno MPT 10 56* sw with DG wedge flex.

Knockoff 2 ball putter.

ProV1 or Bridgestone 330RX.

I love my Ping's, but I've hit my friend's Mizuno MP-58's and nothing feels like a forged iron when flushed. You can't even compare the two.

In order to properly compare them, you'd need to have them with the exact same shafts, flex, weight, etc. There are far too many variables in play to chalk it up to "forged."

Not to mention the head design, something with mass behind the ball will feel better than most CBs. Depending on the CB design, since there are things that can be done with the head for vibration damping.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I just went to the range against and pulled out my '67 Hogan Percussion 4-iron. If you like soft blades, you must try out these irons...just phenomenal.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I know. Why do we in the US get the shaft when it comes to sweet looking and feeling forged irons. Man. I need to take a trip to Japan with an empty staff bag! LOL

actually most Japanese forgings have hideous looking short irons, the 9 iron and PW,s generally have more offset than the 3 iron lol

I had some Vega Prototypes way way back about 6 years ago that looked so sweet until you addressed the ball

ditched them on ebay asap lol

Daiwa DG-201's. If you even LOOK at these the wrong way they would get a ding in them. Super soft. I will post pics of these once I reshaft them with the KBS Tours (that just arrived today at lunchtime :lol: ) and the red w/ black rings ferrules ordered from cell-parts mfg.

I can't friggin' wait for the snow to melt!

Wow, Daiwa DG-201's? That's old school. Nice!!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I was watching a show on TV about a guy who killed his wife and was on the lamb and playing golf in Florida. They showed his bag, a Daiwa staff bag. I was like 'man, he played THOSE!'

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

the X-Protos and the '09 X-Forged from Callaway are two of the best irons ive ever hit. mizuno still rules in terms of softest feel and premium forging.

I absolutely agree 100%. Man, the X-Protos are JUST so soft and pure. On the flip side, I think that Titleist makes the hardest forgings. But that's just me.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

Softest irons I've ever hit were the 1999 edition of the Maxfli Australian Blades, the companion to the black and red dot Revolution irons.

Hitting a wound ball with these was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

And this was after hitting MP-14s. I'll admit my expectations were low, at the time, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Like an idiot, I never scored a set. Such is life.

+1...er, +3

I had a set each of the black dots (dynamic golf), red dots (rifles) and the A10. The chrome over nickel was really something; softer than the forged irons I've owned and hit.

As for forged v cast - I've owned some cast irons that have seemed as soft or softer than similar forged irons. For instance, I played a set of Ping i10 irons than seemed as soft -- though definitely not as pretty -- as a set of Cobra SS Forged I later regretted selling.

I believe "soft" for me is more a function of the sound I get than either the process of how the iron heads were formed or perhaps even the use of steel alloy versus mild carbon steel.

______

Dave

Image Gallery

Archived