Golfware

Softest irons I've ever hit... bar none...

My history of soft irons began with the MP14, then moved on to Pro II, Mp29,mp33, mp37(a bit harder feel), Nike proCombo, Cleveland TA1 gun metal, Ping i3+, Mp60 and finally The MP62 Black Nickel with the KBS tour shaft. I had a miura forged set that was stolen and that is the only set that has come close to the 62s black nickel.

Is that all????

My litany includes Mp14, Mp14, Mp14, TA1, TA2, DCI 990, DCI 990b, DCI 962, 690.mb, 690.cb, Hogan Apex, Precept Tour Premium, MacGregor 675, 685, Cleveland CG Red... then????

Soft is a misnomer. People equate sound with feel. A club with a sound in a certain frequency range will "feel softer" to certain people. The forged V cast myth is just that, a Myth. JMHO...

Is that all????

My litany includes Mp14, Mp14, Mp14, TA1, TA2, DCI 990, DCI 990b, DCI 962, 690.mb, 690.cb, Hogan Apex, Precept Tour Premium, MacGregor 675, 685, Cleveland CG Red... then????

Soft is a misnomer. People equate sound with feel. A club with a sound in a certain frequency range will "feel softer" to certain people. The forged V cast myth is just that, a Myth. JMHO...

I have own multiple set during my time as shop manager but these were the set I really liked and set a new standard for all future sets. I forgot the DCI 990b, loved that club first set I shot par with. Or the Hogan apex or FTX.

The point I was making is that there is so many parameters for feel that only the person hitting the club can make a true judgment, otherwise everyone would be hitting the same club if the only parameter was smooth, soft or buttery feel was the only parameter that we were looking for in a club.

excuse me for rambling on, I think you are completely right and this is probably the reason why I always turn to the mizzy when looking for feel and performance that suites me.

I know. Why do we in the US get the shaft when it comes to sweet looking and feeling forged irons. Man. I need to take a trip to Japan with an empty staff bag! LOL

Daiwa DG-201's. If you even LOOK at these the wrong way they would get a ding in them. Super soft. I will post pics of these once I reshaft them with the KBS Tours (that just arrived today at lunchtime :wub: ) and the red w/ black rings ferrules ordered from cell-parts mfg.

I can't friggin' wait for the snow to melt!

I have had my share of smooth sets, and a lot of the smooth feel I believe comes from the shaft as well.

My history of soft irons began with the MP14, then moved on to Pro II, Mp29,mp33, mp37(a bit harder feel), Nike proCombo, Cleveland TA1 gun metal, Ping i3+, Mp60 and finally The MP62 Black Nickel with the KBS tour shaft. I had a miura forged set that was stolen and that is the only set that has come close to the 62s black nickel. Unfortunately the black nickel isn't sold in the US for some reason. Mizuno made the same mistake with teh MP Craft 425 the fisrt proper mizzy driver.

All three sets of my MP 33s have had the same set of tour flighted rifle 6.5s in them. I've moved them from set to set every time.

I've been playing raw MP 33s for the last three years which feel softer than the satin set before it which feel softer than the chrome set I had before that. Hitting an MP 33, or any Mizzy forged iron for that matter, on the sweet spot is one of the greatest feelings in golf in my opinion.

Haven't been getting to play as much as I'd like lately so I'm going to demo some Miura RAC CBs in the next month or so to try and get a little more forgiveness. Not a lot but I need some more face to hit the ball right now unfortunately.

I have a set of the Miura Racs and they are not very forgiving at all. Beautiful irons but quite harsh on miss-hits for a cb. Agree with others that the Mp29's are a very soft feeling Mizzy iron, they are actually my favorite mizzys. However the softest irons I've ever hit (and I've hit plenty) are the TourStage Z101's. Endo forged and absolutely sweet feeling.

I have a set of the Miura Racs and they are not very forgiving at all. Beautiful irons but quite harsh on miss-hits for a cb. Agree with others that the Mp29's are a very soft feeling Mizzy iron, they are actually my favorite mizzys. However the softest irons I've ever hit (and I've hit plenty) are the TourStage Z101's. Endo forged and absolutely sweet feeling.

True, but they are more forgiving than straight blades to me. I'm not looking for Big Bertha type forgiveness, I'm just looking for a slightly bigger sweet spot. I've played them before, it's just been quite a while so I'm going to give them another shot. Workability is still important to me so they could be the best of both worlds for now...

I'm surprized no one has mentioned Scratch. I have a really good friend who lives in Wales and he own's his own Golf shop over there and he says their doing very well and that they are the softest iron he's ever hit. Now I say we have our own version of who's the best but he swears theres nothing better, well I need to get a couple samples 7 iron of the SB-1's and a 6 iron of AR-1's. I think a nice set of blades or maybe a combo set may just make the wife even happier to see another New box of clubs arrive for this season. Not all of you know but I've missed two seasons due to some major injuries when I fell from approximately 18' off a ladder and screwed up my left knee. Well you know how it goes(or maybe you don't) but WC drags everything out instead of fixing things right away. Long story short I have a New left Knee(total knee replacement) I was hurt on April of 08 after first surgery I tried a couple rounds but the knee was shot.I am hoping to play this season but who knows for sure. So in the mean time to keep my spirits high, I've been buying and selling ....more buying then selling :lol: but I have two new sets to try when ever I start up again. So hell whats another set especially if it's as good as my best bud says Scratch irons are!! Heck maybe I can get the full treatment and have the great Don white build a set like I was a Tour player.... Boy am I going on and on :wacko: but this is how I am when I get started talking about golf with another crazy club fanatic such as myself.Well my buddy Mark has got my wheels a spinning again. Well I'm hoping to get a couple demo's before I put out that type of cash. Plus that means I'll have to sell probably at least 2 of my other lovely sets :angry: maybe even 3 and to do that these better be the HOLY GRAIL of Forged irons!!! :lol:

Oh well I guess I'll end this as I think I used up all my minutes on this one post. Good Nite all see ya in the am God Willing. Jeez I love forged Irons.....

Tim :blink:

I'm surprized no one has mentioned Scratch. I have a really good friend who lives in Wales and he own's his own Golf shop over there and he says their doing very well and that they are the softest iron he's ever hit. Now I say we have our own version of who's the best but he swears theres nothing better, well I need to get a couple samples 7 iron of the SB-1's and a 6 iron of AR-1's. I think a nice set of blades or maybe a combo set may just make the wife even happier to see another New box of clubs arrive for this season. Not all of you know but I've missed two seasons due to some major injuries when I fell from approximately 18' off a ladder and screwed up my left knee. Well you know how it goes(or maybe you don't) but WC drags everything out instead of fixing things right away. Long story short I have a New left Knee(total knee replacement) I was hurt on April of 08 after first surgery I tried a couple rounds but the knee was shot.I am hoping to play this season but who knows for sure. So in the mean time to keep my spirits high, I've been buying and selling ....more buying then selling :D but I have two new sets to try when ever I start up again. So hell whats another set especially if it's as good as my best bud says Scratch irons are!! Heck maybe I can get the full treatment and have the great Don white build a set like I was a Tour player.... Boy am I going on and on :wacko: but this is how I am when I get started talking about golf with another crazy club fanatic such as myself.Well my buddy Mark has got my wheels a spinning again. Well I'm hoping to get a couple demo's before I put out that type of cash. Plus that means I'll have to sell probably at least 2 of my other lovely sets :angry: maybe even 3 and to do that these better be the HOLY GRAIL of Forged irons!!! :lol:

Oh well I guess I'll end this as I think I used up all my minutes on this one post. Good Nite all see ya in the am God Willing. Jeez I love forged Irons.....

Tim :blink:

Yes, I would concur. I have had Scratch wedges in the past and they are very soft and very sweet. My friend let me borrow his set of EZ/AR combo, and they are nice... although truth be told, I didn't hit them better than my 09 Burner's. They make an excellent product though. But they are not the Holy Grail of Forged irons, IMHGO. At least for me they aren't. Everyone has their own opinion, but I'd prefer a set of Callaway X-Proto's with Aerotech Steelfiber shafts in them. NOW THAT's the Holy Grail of irons.... at least for me it is.

I love my Ping's, but I've hit my friend's Mizuno MP-58's and nothing feels like a forged iron when flushed. You can't even compare the two.

While I don't think these are nearly the softest irons I've hit 990B's were SWEET clubs. I ended up getting rid of them because I couldn't bend them upright enough... How about we go with this question, hopefully not preceived as a thread jack.

What are the SOFTEST NON FORGED or Cast irons you have ever played. Regardless of Forged vs Cast as a "myth" I'm interested in what this turns into.

990B's for me followed by Eye 2's.

While I don't think these are nearly the softest irons I've hit 990B's were SWEET clubs. I ended up getting rid of them because I couldn't bend them upright enough... How about we go with this question, hopefully not preceived as a thread jack.

What are the SOFTEST NON FORGED or Cast irons you have ever played. Regardless of Forged vs Cast as a "myth" I'm interested in what this turns into.

990B's for me followed by Eye 2's.

Definately Maxfli A10 Tours. They are a nickel/chrome finish and very, very soft. In fact softer feeling than most forged irons I have used.

I love my Ping's, but I've hit my friend's Mizuno MP-58's and nothing feels like a forged iron when flushed. You can't even compare the two.

In order to properly compare them, you'd need to have them with the exact same shafts, flex, weight, etc. There are far too many variables in play to chalk it up to "forged."

Not to mention the head design, something with mass behind the ball will feel better than most CBs. Depending on the CB design, since there are things that can be done with the head for vibration damping.

I just went to the range against and pulled out my '67 Hogan Percussion 4-iron. If you like soft blades, you must try out these irons...just phenomenal.

3JACK

I know. Why do we in the US get the shaft when it comes to sweet looking and feeling forged irons. Man. I need to take a trip to Japan with an empty staff bag! LOL

actually most Japanese forgings have hideous looking short irons, the 9 iron and PW,s generally have more offset than the 3 iron lol

I had some Vega Prototypes way way back about 6 years ago that looked so sweet until you addressed the ball

ditched them on ebay asap lol

Daiwa DG-201's. If you even LOOK at these the wrong way they would get a ding in them. Super soft. I will post pics of these once I reshaft them with the KBS Tours (that just arrived today at lunchtime :lol: ) and the red w/ black rings ferrules ordered from cell-parts mfg.

I can't friggin' wait for the snow to melt!

Wow, Daiwa DG-201's? That's old school. Nice!!

I was watching a show on TV about a guy who killed his wife and was on the lamb and playing golf in Florida. They showed his bag, a Daiwa staff bag. I was like 'man, he played THOSE!'

3JACK

Okay, the Scratch AR1's/EZ1's are on the SHORT list. Man, they are SO pure. SO SO pure.