Golfware

Softest irons I've ever hit... bar none...

the X-Protos and the '09 X-Forged from Callaway are two of the best irons ive ever hit. mizuno still rules in terms of softest feel and premium forging.

the X-Protos and the '09 X-Forged from Callaway are two of the best irons ive ever hit. mizuno still rules in terms of softest feel and premium forging.

I absolutely agree 100%. Man, the X-Protos are JUST so soft and pure. On the flip side, I think that Titleist makes the hardest forgings. But that's just me.

Softest irons I've ever hit were the 1999 edition of the Maxfli Australian Blades, the companion to the black and red dot Revolution irons.

Hitting a wound ball with these was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

And this was after hitting MP-14s. I'll admit my expectations were low, at the time, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Like an idiot, I never scored a set. Such is life.

+1...er, +3

I had a set each of the black dots (dynamic golf), red dots (rifles) and the A10. The chrome over nickel was really something; softer than the forged irons I've owned and hit.

As for forged v cast - I've owned some cast irons that have seemed as soft or softer than similar forged irons. For instance, I played a set of Ping i10 irons than seemed as soft -- though definitely not as pretty -- as a set of Cobra SS Forged I later regretted selling.

I believe "soft" for me is more a function of the sound I get than either the process of how the iron heads were formed or perhaps even the use of steel alloy versus mild carbon steel.