Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

“Clash Of The Adjustable Drivers!� – USER’S CHOICE AWARDS!

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

users-awards-banner.jpg

Today is Day 2 of our 3-Day Series the “Clash Of The Adjustable Drivers!”. Where we put all the major adjustable drivers on the market to the ultimate head-to-head test…to see who would come out on top. And find out which adjustable driver can honestly call themselves
“The #1 Adjustable Driver For 2010″.

READ FULL ARTICLE:

#TruthDigest

Interesting results. It may be helpful to point out that the testers' preferences don't necessarily mean one or a group of those drivers should be considered "inferior" or "superior." The level of technology and quality that goes into each and every one of them may actually be very comparable, but people's tastes will always vary.

That says a lot for the products that Cobra is putting out, hopefully that continues. I know when I was hitting drivers into the launch monitor that I had by far the best results with the S9-2, ZL, and S9-1 Pro (which I eventually bought). It's apparent that I'm not the only one getting those type of results. Awesome review.

• SPY VIP

I'm a little surprised that the ZL beat out the SuperTri and the Vr didn't do better, but the S2 is a fantastic driver, especially for the price you can get it for.

The VR fell behind based on value rating (users felt it was comparatively overpriced), and took a big hit for ease of adjustability (for which I completely agree with our testers). Some were also put off by the roundish shape. The R9 was middle of the pack across the board, but with the lowest score being for value.

For more than a couple of our testers it was the first time they took a serious look at Cobra drivers, and almost all of them came away impressed.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

I'm a little surprised that the ZL beat out the SuperTri and the Vr didn't do better, but the S2 is a fantastic driver, especially for the price you can get it for.

ZL really seems to be under the radar. It makes me wonder how it would have done with a different shaft.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I have to say that I'm shocked by the results. I'm amazed that Callaway got as much love as they did for adjustability, given that their system is just for changing shafts. I'm also very surprised at the love for Cobra - it makes me think that I need to go give those drivers a swing. As a TM driver guy, I'm also surprised that the SuperTri didn't rate a bit better.

One thing that might be useful would be to list the prices for each driver (or, more to the point, the price that was told to the testers when they were determining value).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Sound is something that the Cobra drivers really do better than the TM ones. You really hear the difference when you hit them one after another. TM just sounds loud. Not Nike loud, but way louder than the ZL (or G15 fwiw).

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Sound is something that the Cobra drivers really do better than the TM ones. You really hear the difference when you hit them one after another. TM just sounds loud. Not Nike loud, but way louder than the ZL (or G15 fwiw).

There were lots of points during this process where I found myself surprised, and in a broad sense, experiencing the sound of these drivers for the first time was one of those ocassions.

I think most would agree that sound-wise Callaway make a huge jump forward with the FT-9 as compared with previous generations of composite drivers. What surprised me is how far Cobra has come since the L5V. The ZL definitely doesn't have that monstrous pop like previous generations of composite Cobra drivers. It's an almost inconceivable improvement. While the VR is still louder than I'd like it be, it's a big step forward for Nike. The Machspeed....maybe next year.

Hard to say how TM missed the mark with the SuperTri. I played (and loved) a SuperQuad for 2 years, and comparatively speaking, IMO, the Tri was a step backwards.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

And that was one thing that surprised me the most. I know in the past Cobra drivers have been ear-drum destroyers, but I guess that's way in the rear view now. I wish I had read this before I was at Golfsmith today, I could've given them a few swings.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Want an eardrum destroyer? Try the Nike Dymo! LOL! My driver reminds me of my basic training DI banging a danged garbage can with a stick to wake us up in the mornings!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Archived