Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New driver help...

So I am almost at the point where my set is 100% complete and I am happy with it :blink: the only 2 things that are missing are a new driver to replace my old sasquatch and a 52 or 54 wedge to fill in my gap. So my real question for you today is what should i do.... At my local golf shop I could get a taylormade R9 for 290$, then you get 100$ towards more taylormade stuff so I could get a wedge. Or is it better off to cheap out and get an older driver like a cleveland launcher for 198 or a cobra S91 for 198 and then buy a new wedge separately.... After writting all this I find that I'm mainly looking for a deal or the best driver for my dollar.

Thanks!

Mat

WITB

Taylormade Light Stand Bag

Titleist 913 D3 8.5 X-Stiff Diamana Whiteboard D+72

Titleist 910 F 15 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik Black Tie 8M3

3 Iron Adams Super DHY 21 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik White Tie Altus HX3

4-PW Mizuno MP32s Project X 6.5 

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled + SM4 DG S300

Nike Method Putter

You're going to spend $80-$120 on a wedge anyhow, so I guess it depends on whether or not you really like the R9 or not. If you do, and its a club you plan on playing for 2 or 3 seasons, then you're getting the driver you really want and a wedge you need for the same price you're going to spend if you get a different driver. If you're "meh" about the R9 or change clubs alot, then I'd suggest going even deeper into the bargain bin and find a $150 and under driver, get a great wedge, and save even a few more bucks!

Personally, I change drivers about every year just to keep pace with technology (at the discount level, so I'm always a year or two behind), but I'll play wedges until they're worn out (2 seasons or so for my 56, longer for others). However, I'm starting to think that driver tech is topping out, so its likely that the R9 will actually keep up better tech wise. That's just speculation, but looking at the "Adjustable Driver Challenge" thread it sure seems that all the top of the line clubs are technologically equal, so the deciding factor is customer preference.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Hey Matt,

I've found that you can't really play around with wedges. Getting "throw in's" never works out well so I would take the extra $100 you get from Taylor Made out of the equation when looking at the driver (to be fair, that turned my head initially as well as it seemed like a good deal. Luckily Callaway was running the same promo and I needed a new hybrid as well...). Have you had a look at the recent adjustible driver review on the main page? Some quality information there to get you started. Aside from that and a fitting I can only offer personal experience of good luck clubs for me.

Drivers I've tried and liked:

Callaway Diablo Edge - Feels a bit like cheating for the play who has trouble getting height on their shots. Good distance, nice sound. Only issue I've really noticed is if you aren't paying attention the club can look like it's in a neutral position at address while it's really a hint open. I've found I need to use the white arrow Callaway placed on the top of the head to do proper alignment, otherwise you can produce some truely wicked slicing.

Ping G15 - This would be a better club for you then me (being a better player and all) due to the feedback you get (same with a irons). You know immediately if you mishit or really drilled it. Definately the club for a better play or one who is looking to improve based on feeling.

Cobra S2 - Feels like a mix between the two. Good feedback, but not as much as the Ping while the mishits still fly quite well. Looking at it now, I should have gone with this club for ease of use when starting out, as your position at address is exactly what it looks like. Plus new players can cheat a bit for slicing help by closing the head a degree. In your case, I would likely recommend this club the least as with that handicap, hitting the fairways won't be an issue for you.

To sum up, I would recommend the G15 for you, but again a fitting well help out so much more then anything I can say.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

FWIW, just heard today that Adams is going to run the buy a driver get a free fairway promotion again soon...

(looking at picking up a G15 myself...)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

There's not a heck of a lot of difference between drivers from one year to the next, so unless you're completely in love with the R9 (and it is a nice club) then try out some of last year's sticks and see if you find something that suits you. Personally, I liked last year's Cleveland Launcher better than this year's and was close to replacing my original Launcher 460 with one. You can probably find one of those for $150 or so right now. If you don't mind going a few years farther back, the Callaway X is also quite nice, which surprised me because I don't usually care for Callaway drivers. Give some of the older clubs a look. You'll get a club you like and save a few bucks while you're at it, which you can use on a wedge you really like.

So I am almost at the point where my set is 100% complete and I am happy with it :blink: the only 2 things that are missing are a new driver to replace my old sasquatch and a 52 or 54 wedge to fill in my gap. So my real question for you today is what should i do.... At my local golf shop I could get a taylormade R9 for 290$, then you get 100$ towards more taylormade stuff so I could get a wedge. Or is it better off to cheap out and get an older driver like a cleveland launcher for 198 or a cobra S91 for 198 and then buy a new wedge separately.... After writting all this I find that I'm mainly looking for a deal or the best driver for my dollar.

Thanks!

Mat

Mat, If you have the chance try a local demo days. I believe, and in my case, it has been proven with a Trackman that the driver and shaft have got to match. Last year, I purchased a Cleveland Launcher with a stock shaft Fuji Red) based upon hitting a number of demo clubs. When I received my club, I was 15 yards shorter and right. When I asked to hit the demo club again, I was back to normal. Needless to say, the retailer (Northway 8 in Clifton Park, NY) was more than willing to give me the used demo instead of the new club.

This year, I swallowed deep and went to Novogolf in NY for a Trackman fitting. While better than last year (according to the fitter) we could visibly see different results on the Trackman with "identical" OEM shafts. I am now convinced that you MUST at least hit the club you are contemplating outdoors before you drop any money. When funds are available, see if there is a Trackman or at least a K-Vest in your area and drop the $100 or so for a fitting session.

This is the age old question on the boards, and it can never, ever be answered correctly for yourself or anyone other on the boards. You have to go hit a bunch of drivers, and find what works for you. Get fitted, it's the best money you will ever spend on a club purchase, but hit club after club, exhausted ever one the GG or Golf Smith, or where ever has, until you find the right one for you. What's right for me, is not always right for you, always remember that.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Go somewhere with a launch monitor. Hit multiple drivers and look at the data, don't just go for the best deal. I went to an Edwin Watts and hit about 10 different drivers into the launch monitor, before I settled on my Cobra S9-1 Pro. It was 20 yards longer and 10yds less offline than the G15, which is what I got the second best results with.

Agree with JBones. Over the course of a year of golfing, $100 isn't that much (it pains me to type this, being an unemployed teacher, but when you consider greens fees, it's true), so buy the driver that will make playing golf a lot of fun. If that means you don't get the $100 cash back, oh well. You might get that $100 back winning bets with a driver that fits you very well.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived