TESTERS WANTED! ×

Help on the backswing

Looking at videos of my golf swing I have 2 issues i would like some advice on please.

1. I can't seem to get my arms past 10 O clock on the back swing. Does anyone know of stretching exercises to increase this range of motion?

2. I have difficulty bending my wrist at the top to get the club on a more horizontall plane. Any suggestions on this one?

Thanks all and may the golfing gods be kind to you

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I'm surprised no one has jumped in on this but I'm one who will always suggest seeing a pro and taking some lessons. In regards to stretches I've seen a pro too (chiropractor). There's lots of good golf specific stuff online complete with videos of the stretches.

10 o'clock is plenty of turn to generate enough clubhead speed.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks revkev. I'm planning on taking lessons (again). Agreed about the clubhead speed. i'd like to see if i can gain more distance. Also I'm working on speed and through the use of resistance tubing, i've increased the speed of getting my hips to fire but now with my driver, i'm fighting a big slice.

It's a work in progress.

Thanks again

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

I can only recommend the Roger Fredericks Golf stretching videos. I have them and have used them. (not near enough) It's really basic stuff and easy to do. And it works I'm told; if you stick with it.

I wouldn't worry about getting your swing back to parallel. Take it back until you naturally stop and that's your back swing. Don't try an emulate Adam Scott or some other pro. You'll be disappointed. Own your swing in whatever form it takes.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Getting to parallel is nice looking, but over-rated for speed.  Holding the leverage angle on the downswing is more important and will assist in fixing the slice if you can close up the club face to your path.  Think JB Holmes.  

Flexibility exercises are always good; I have to warm up just to get the scar tissue broken loose!  I've lost a lot of flexibility over the past 10 years.  If you can, focus on separation of upper and lower body plus getting your hamstrings loose.  You can create more speed by building your lower body into a stabile base from which to swing.  Good luck!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great replies everyone. I thank you all for the time and thoughts. Maybe i am over thinking this. Plaid jacket- ill check out RF Gol.

Thanks again all

Dexterity:

I've never paid attention to how far I get with my backswing... after reading this threat, I checked it out and I'm also stuck at around 10 o'clock.

That's enough for me :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I've never paid attention to how far I get with my backswing... after reading this threat, I checked it out and I'm also stuck at around 10 o'clock.

That's enough for me :D

I used to have a John Daly backswing. I'm talking almost a full circle. Now I mostly hit 80 or 90 percent. No need to get that long, plus it throws everything out of whack sometimes.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Count another short backswing among you.  Due to age and a couple injuries, I barely get my arms to 10:00 much less past them.

I went to an instructor and he told me the length of the swing was fine and if I fixed the other issues, I'd gain plenty of distane with the same length swing.

Those issues, were

• Starting the downswing with the shoulders as opposed to the lower body
  • Too slow of swing, thinking i was trying to steer ball instead of swing through it
  • learn to release the club a bit more
  • maintain my spine tilt through the swing

LOL, that's all.  he gave me a couple drills that focus on everything but the release, he said we could work on that when I feel more comfortable with the other items.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived