TESTERS WANTED! ×

Custom Fitting Defined

I remember buying my set of Ping Eye 2's - Ping's big deal was that I was custom fit - of course at that time - early/mid 80's this was the best most Ams could do - a static fitting based on a chart coupled with a few swings on a lie board.

Since that time I've had fittings that have included the following:

Trying a bunch of off the rack clubs to see what worked best. 

Trying a bunch of clubs from a cart with a fitter until we settled on the best head/shaft combo.  (This included a turn on the Mizuno shaft optimizer)

Tweaking my own clubs myself to add weight.

Going for a full bag evaluation in which my own clubs were adjusted (including putter) to fit.  (this was a very extensive deal)

My question here or what I'd love to see discussed is what constitutes custom fitting?  To me it's been working with a fitter and ordering a set of clubs to spec.  But I'd love to see what others think when they hear that term.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I agree with your last idea of what a fitting is.  Going to a custom fitter or at the very least someone who has been authorized and certififed by an OEM to fit their clubs.

Based on that criteria, I've had two custom fittings, one by an small brick and mortar store who fit for Titleist, Wilson, Ping and Mizuno, that's all he sold.   I knew that going in and in my mind was torn between Wilson and PING.   I ended up with the Wilson at that time.

Prior to that I had a full iron fitting by Club Champion, while I did not buy the clubs from them, I came away with what shaft, flex, length, Lie, grip size I needed and got the clubs directly from the OEM.  I only ended up playing those a year, as my ego probably got the best of me thinking I could play a player set of irons at the time.

I used those specs to order my current set. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I state that I have never had a Custom Fitting, although I was analysed by GolfTec when I was takinging a group of lessons from them.  They made a few suggestions based upon my swing and the launch monitors.  The rest of my "Cusrom Fitting" has come from reading many different articles and reviewing charts, such as the Ping Chart.  Over the years, i discovered that i needed a 2* flat Lie for my irons.  That said, plus my need for graphite shafts due to my left wrist injury in 1998, I determined that I should be in a Regular shaft with 2* Flat Lie......so when i was selecting the options for the Cobra F6 iron review, those are the choices I made.   Wow! They really do work.  But I often wonder what a real Custom fit would do for my game.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I state that I have never had a Custom Fitting, although I was analysed by GolfTec when I was takinging a group of lessons from them. They made a few suggestions based upon my swing and the launch monitors. The rest of my "Cusrom Fitting" has come from reading many different articles and reviewing charts, such as the Ping Chart. Over the years, i discovered that i needed a 2* flat Lie for my irons. That said, plus my need for graphite shafts due to my left wrist injury in 1998, I determined that I should be in a Regular shaft with 2* Flat Lie......so when i was selecting the options for the Cobra F6 iron review, those are the choices I made. Wow! They really do work. But I often wonder what a real Custom fit would do for my game.

It might hurt it. :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I state that I have never had a Custom Fitting, although I was analysed by GolfTec when I was takinging a group of lessons from them.  They made a few suggestions based upon my swing and the launch monitors.  The rest of my "Cusrom Fitting" has come from reading many different articles and reviewing charts, such as the Ping Chart.  Over the years, i discovered that i needed a 2* flat Lie for my irons.  That said, plus my need for graphite shafts due to my left wrist injury in 1998, I determined that I should be in a Regular shaft with 2* Flat Lie......so when i was selecting the options for the Cobra F6 iron review, those are the choices I made.   Wow! They really do work.  But I often wonder what a real Custom fit would do for my game.

What is stopping you from getting fitted? You don't have to switch if you don't want to.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Custom fitting is essentially the same as having a suit made to measure. In other words, the whole package is made to fit one person. 

Sure, some suits may look good if you stand still, but in order for you to be able to move, work and follow the natural movement of your body, you really need a suit made to measure to get the most out of it. You could say that it is a dynamic fit.

The same theory applies to custom fit clubs. Static measurements are not really god enough - the "fit" has to apply to how you swing, how you play and how you score. That is a truly custom fitted set - made to fit one individual and their whole game.

This begs the question... what should come first - a fitting or a set of clubs?

I'd be willing to venture that a lot of us got our clubs first, tried to make our swing "work" with them and did like Foz did.  Read some articles, did some research, tried some things and either figured it out on our own or gave up and got a fitting.  That's kind of what I did as well.

I suppose the thing that was holding me back from a fitting was the cost aspect.

If you go to a good fitter (and I'm not talking about Golfsmith) around here (MA) it starts at around 100 and can easily (and quickly!) go well north of that for both irons and woods.

Now that's just to get a piece of paper that says you need A, B, C, D... etc.  You don't even come away with a set of clubs and you still can't play...

Furthermore, usually you get fit for the newest model of clubs.

So - if I get fit by someone and they say, yeah the Callaway XR 16 are right for you and the TaylorMade M1 with this shaft is good too.  Oh and you should get this hybrid and these wedges...

If you do the math it's over a grand (not including the fitting) just to get started.

...or I can just say forget it, I'll do it myself, go on the bay and find some old Adams clubs for a couple hundred bucks and have fun.

Yeah - maybe I won't end up being a scratch golfer, but who cares, I can still play the game and if I practice I'll get better and I can have some fun.  

That's why we play isn't it  - to have fun?  I mean we wouldn't all be here if this was our job.  :)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

If you go to the fitter BEFORE you guy, a lot of the guys I talk to will basically deduct that $100 from the cost of the irons if you buy from them. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for business for them but it certainly makes it worth it. The tough part is finding a fitter that has many options if your open. I'd also say that that worst case you've spend $100 and you know what you need to fit going forward. I'd imagine there are a lot of players out there that spend well north of $100 "trying to figure it out" with different equipment and such.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

If you go to the fitter BEFORE you guy, a lot of the guys I talk to will basically deduct that $100 from the cost of the irons if you buy from them. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for business for them but it certainly makes it worth it. The tough part is finding a fitter that has many options if your open. I'd also say that that worst case you've spend $100 and you know what you need to fit going forward. I'd imagine there are a lot of players out there that spend well north of $100 "trying to figure it out" with different equipment and such.

Well if I'm going to be buying over 1000 dollars of golf clubs from them I'd hope they'd give me a 10 percent discount.

That's the problem with golf... the barrier to entry is extremely high unless you do it alone.  

How many fitters do you know that will give you 100 off a used set of 5 year old clubs they'd sell you for 400?

None that I can think of.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

To be fair, there are plenty of club options well under the $1000 mark.

I had a friend that was trying to find a used set for around $400 last season. Took him to a custom fitter and he spent $700 for a new set of Ping G30's instead. Yes it was $300 more than he was planning to spend but after the experience and seeing the results almost immediately was obviously worth it to him.

I'm not saying everyone should or would make that choice but I think most people who what to improve that have never had that experience might make a similar choice. Granted, he is still a high handicapper because he can only play a few times a year with his work schedule but he certainly doesn't have time for lessons so the small improvement that came from a well fit set of irons I suppose justified that cost for him.  

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

To be fair, there are plenty of club options well under the $1000 mark.

I had a friend that was trying to find a used set for around $400 last season. Took him to a custom fitter and he spent $700 for a new set of Ping G30's instead. Yes it was $300 more than he was planning to spend but after the experience and seeing the results almost immediately was obviously worth it to him.

I'm not saying everyone should or would make that choice but I think most people who what to improve that have never had that experience might make a similar choice. Granted, he is still a high handicapper because he can only play a few times a year with his work schedule but he certainly doesn't have time for lessons so the small improvement that came from a well fit set of irons I suppose justified that cost for him.  

I guess we are all in different financial situations.... glad you're friend was able to get something that worked for him.  

I suppose golf clubs have become like homes - you need to save up $$$ for a down payment.  :)

BTW - my first (and only) fitting was a number of years ago and I got fit for the new (at that time) Ping G20's.  When I asked how much they were selling for (I think around 800) and kind of laughed and said I can't pay that I got a bit of blank stare from the fitter.  Some of them - certainly not all - can be a bit pretentious...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Here's what I think custom fitting is based on my experience. Additionally and also from previous experience - you'll never get as much attention to detail and quality with a "retail" fitting.

My current set of irons are custom fit. I play Wishon 771csi with Aerotech i80 shafts. I worked with a fitter based in Kerrville Texas. My fitting as very similar to what Chris Nickle reported in his blog post. I've posted here a few times about my fitting experience but I'll discuss it again some.

My fitter has been applying his trade-skills for over 25 years. He's somewhat old school with a mix of newer technology. I chose him because of his experience and reputation. I also chose him after interviewing a few other fitters. My fitter not only fits the clubs; he also personally hand builds each club. He's a serious man and passionate about it. About couple of months prior to my fitting day I started gathering detailed data from about 5 rounds. He had provided me with a small booklet to record each hole in my rounds which included club selection used, distances, and shot patterns/disbursements. I brought that information along with my current bag to the fitting.

When I arrived at my fitting I handed over the booklet and he started measuring and spec-ing out all the clubs in my bag. (TM Burner 2.0 and a mix of various wedges) I was also given a questionnaire to fill-out. After about 30 minutes he sat down and we had a short discussion as he reviewed my questionnaire and booklet I'd brought.

Soon it came time to start testing some equipment. Unlike Chris Nickels fitting at KZG we didn't hit everything he had. My fitter basically pre-selected a few heads to start with. He discounted any blade style and I agreed. He had already "sized" me up based on my information, handicap, age, etc. After warming up a bit he handed me a club to try. My fitting was indoors using a FlightScope and my fitter's eyes and feedback from me. We also used some type of swing speed device set on the floor and powder on the club face. We went through this process of trying various head and shaft combos eventually narrowing it down to two selections I recall. After a short break we came back to the two selections and worked with them a bit. My fitter would sometimes apply a small bit of lead tape down at the hosel and I'd hit a few shots and we'd record the data and I'd provide my feedback. Soon we had pretty much landed on the 771csi head with the AeroTech i80 shafts. I was asked if I was satisfied with the head, shaft, feel, ball flight, disbursements, etc, etc.. As far as I was concerned the clubs felt great in my hands, looked good to me at setup and my data was much improved. Let's do it. I selected a grip I liked and we were basically done.

After all the fitting was completed he walked me over to the shop area where he builds the clubs and showed me how he does it all. It was all very interesting and done with great precision for each club. My heads were all ordered from Wishon on a Hand-Select basis. That's a special service Tom Wishon provides to insure each head is the proper loft and lie and weight, etc. Tom personally selects each head and sends a signed certification type slip along with the heads. I could go on and on but the bottom line is that about 2-3 weeks after my fitting my fitter had built each club individually and shipped them to me. That was two years ago and I'm still loving my irons and my improved play.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks Stroker.......I do remember that GolfTec recomended I change to a 44" shaft on my Driver with 11* to 12* loft. However, they never mentioned chnaging the lie of my irons......That i figured out from several charts based upon the distance of my wrist to the ground and my height....Plus examining the divots taken in the fairway.....I had noticed that they seemed to be more heel oriented....when I changed to 2* flat, the heel based divots changed to a staight pattern....That's when i knew I needed the 2* flat.  Now that i have this figured out and my handicap is trending down the only reason to get fitted profesionally would be to donate a wad of cash to someone else that will tell me the same thing.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

"the only reason to get fitted professionally would be to donate a wad of cash to someone else that will tell me the same thing"

Good one Foz!

Don't get me wrong here... if I was independently wealthy or as Foz said - had a wad of cash - just laying around I'd do EXACTLY what Plaid did.

Find a fitter in my area that wasn't just interested in me as another plugger but someone who listened to what I had to say, understood my objectives and was willing to help me without any pressure whatsoever.

I'd love to have a hand made set of custom built clubs that I would KNOW for a fact are precisely designed for me, my body, my swing, my tempo, etc.

But... last I looked that wad hasn't landed in my lap.

So for now... I suppose I just fit myself and hack it around.

Although... there's not many better feelings than playing with someone who has all of the "bells and whistles" in their bag and beating them with your OTR sticks that you fit yourself... !!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I have to tell you guys. It didn't cost a wad of cash otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Yes, my clubs cost more than straight off the rack or even a basic retail fitting. But believe me; at least in my case with the clubs I have and the fitter I chose... the cost differential was a no-brainer quite frankly. My fitter does a lot of fitting. That's all he does for a living and makes a good one in the process. Therefore, he didn't have to make it all off me. And, I'm a repeat customer now. Twice!

If you've never thoroughly investigated a true-full-professional fitting you should at least do some research and then decide. If a guy is charging a Wad.... walk away.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I have to tell you guys. It didn't cost a wad of cash otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Yes, my clubs cost more than straight off the rack or even a basic retail fitting. But believe me; at least in my case with the clubs I have and the fitter I chose... the cost differential was a no-brainer quite frankly. My fitter does a lot of fitting. That's all he does for a living and makes a good one in the process. Therefore, he didn't have to make it all off me. And, I'm a repeat customer now. Twice!

If you've never thoroughly investigated a true-full-professional fitting you should at least do some research and then decide. If a guy is charging a Wad.... walk away.

I would second this. There's a cost but it's not outrageous. Having written that there is no doubt that a person is able to enjoy and play good golf for less money. If he's handy perhaps he can learn to build his own clubs.

I've had a couple of fittings similar to what Plaid described minus the club's being built for me onsite. Reshafts were done onsite when my fitter recommended them. The times that I've purchased clubs based on a fitting the fitter sent my specs to the factory. In one case the clubs were then sent to my house the other my fitter who checked them to make sure they were what We ordered. On that occasion I hit them prior to bringing them home.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• SPY VIP

This is a fantastic topic and there's sooooo much misinformation and disagreement around what actually constitutes "custom" fitting...

My experience with KZG more than anything reconfirmed to me what everyone should be able to expect out of a true custom process. 

First, the fitting has to be done by someone who can use both Trackman (or something equal) and their experience to put you into the correct club/shaft combination. This is no small task and if I'm being picky, I want to be able to do this outside or someplace I can actually see the ball flight and preferably hit the ball I play...Also, it shouldn't be all jammed into a 30-60 minute process - I highly suggest doing different fittings at different times - 

Then the building should be entirely precise - How much precision is necessary, is up to you, but watching KZG build to +/- 1 CPM was pretty dang impressive. I don't know if I could quantify how different it would be if they were built say to +/- 3 CPM or not spined/floed, but you get the idea - Again, if I want to get real picky, I think you should be able to take the clubs out, play with them for a certain amount of time and then have them tweaked if necessary - Now again, this is cost/time intensive, so don't expect any big OEM to do this, but it also doesn't have to cost as much as people think...

And I second Jamboy. My fitting was basically the same. I spent quite a few hours at my fitting. I recall maybe 4? The reason was; I stopped and asked questions and we'd get into a discussion about my questions. The guy didn't once in any way try to rush me. He was more than willing to discuss, explain, and show me what all was taking place. My fitter is passionate about his work and takes great pride in helping people play their best with the best equipment suited to their game.

I recall at one point during my fitting I said something to him to the effect of like "oh I don't know if it matters that much in my game"; referring to some some detail he was working on. Wow! It was like I said something offensive. He stopped in his tracks, looked me in the eye and said, "it's important. Everyone gets the same attention and detail regardless of their playing ability." I was like... man, this guy is serious. Anyway, I'm glad I chose - lucked into my fitter. It'd be hard to find another like him I think.

After I'd had my irons for 8 months or so I stopped by his shop on my way to Austin. He took each iron, checked them against the original specs and made a few minor adjustments here and there. We had a short visit and I went on my way. No charge!

I can appreciate the cost involved but for me it brings peace of mind knowing my things are absolutely dialed in for me. I don't change equipment often so I'm not concerned about the cost for this service. The place I go to uses Trackman and for putting this incredible machine, if you have the chance get fitted for your putter with this. http://www.quinticballroll.com/

Great reading. 

Will definitely be getting Custom Fit for my next set. The full kit & caboodle.

I'm wondering - if I work harder & smarter with my current set, and keep working on swing & complete game from tee to green, I'm optimistic I can get to a 10 hcap within 18 months.

When I get to that 10, a Custom Fit should be able to take me lower (theoretically).

On the other hand, a Custom Fit now, at 16 h'cap, should identify the faults I currently have (mind you, the wife is very quick to point these out :lol:) and minimise these, leading to possibly a quicker way to get to that 10. The new equipment should help me go lower also.

Aaah, dilemmas...........

Just out of interest, how often does everyone get their clubs' lie angles etc checked?

Great reading. 

I'm wondering - if I work harder & smarter with my current set, and keep working on swing & complete game from tee to green, I'm optimistic I can get to a 10 hcap within 18 months.

When I get to that 10, a Custom Fit should be able to take me lower (theoretically).

On the other hand, a Custom Fit now, at 16 h'cap, should identify the faults I currently have (mind you, the wife is very quick to point these out :lol:) and minimise these, leading to possibly a quicker way to get to that 10. The new equipment should help me go lower also.

Just out of interest, how often does everyone get their clubs' lie angles etc checked?

I bought an OTR set of Apex pros that were std L/L/L a couple yrs ago and recently had them checked by a fitter.  He had me hit on a board, etc. and let me know that they were correct.

If I don't change my swing much then I don't see a need to go get them rechecked.  But, if I become more upright or swing flatter then I probably would get them checked again.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Great reading. 

Custom Fit  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcG7jvPunbo

When I reshafted my MacGregor irons, I had to adjust the loft and lie angle to my current swing.  Lie angle changed 5*.  My golf shop didn't charge me for it, and said to bring them back in a couple of months to see if they moved back towards the original angle.  Will do that shortly.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I try and get my clubs checked and or adjusted once a year. Usually in the spring. At that time I may also replace my grips.

I was thinking the other day about dropping in to Club Champion this weekend. There is a new store opened recently in Austin, Texas.

I decided to give them a quick call and check on hours-location, and possibly a driver fitting. They work by appointment only but said they didn't have much booked Saturday and to come on by. Hmmm. Alright I thought. I asked the cost of a driver fitting and the guy said $150. I then asked if all or a part of that applied to a purchase and he said no. Additionally, it's all done indoor. The fellow I spoke with on the phone wanted to assure me that since they have a Trackman hitting outdoors wasn't necessary. Uh huh.

So if I were to purchase a new driver with a stock shaft that might be $350-$399 + $150 for the fitting for a total of $549... plus Tax! With tax I'm sitting right on $593 for new fitted driver. I think I'll take a pass on that deal. Wouldn't you?

I was thinking the other day about dropping in to Club Champion this weekend. There is a new store opened recently in Austin, Texas.

I decided to give them a quick call and check on hours-location, and possibly a driver fitting. They work by appointment only but said they didn't have much booked Saturday and to come on by. Hmmm. Alright I thought. I asked the cost of a driver fitting and the guy said $150. I then asked if all or a part of that applied to a purchase and he said no. Additionally, it's all done indoor. The fellow I spoke with on the phone wanted to assure me that since they have a Trackman hitting outdoors wasn't necessary. Uh huh.

So if I were to purchase a new driver with a stock shaft that might be $350-$399 + $150 for the fitting for a total of $549... plus Tax! With tax I'm sitting right on $593 for new fitted driver. I think I'll take a pass on that deal. Wouldn't you?

Depends, if I was looking for a new driver and saw huge improvement with the fitting I would pay that much because I would be confident it would be in the bag for multiple seasons.

That's usually my reasoning with any change in the bag and fittings. If there isn't a big improvement then to me it's not worth the money.

You could also eBay anything they fit you into and make it much cheaper

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

Depends, if I was looking for a new driver and saw huge improvement with the fitting I would pay that much because I would be confident it would be in the bag for multiple seasons.

That's usually my reasoning with any change in the bag and fittings. If there isn't a big improvement then to me it's not worth the money.

I'd want to know what specs and information you walk away with...At a minimum I'd want loft (digitally measured) lie, length, and grip size. With the shaft, it would need to be built to a specific CPM, given a profile that fits your swing profile, athleticism, release, tempo, etc.

Man... you guys live in another universe than me.  My entire set of irons was less than 500.  AND it's really hard to make your money back on clubs on eBay.  I've tried..and tried...and tried..and...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

• SPY VIP

Man... you guys live in another universe than me.  My entire set of irons was less than 500.  AND it's really hard to make your money back on clubs on eBay.  I've tried..and tried...and tried..and...

I don't know if you can get a truly custom fit/built set of irons for less than $1000 by anyone reputable - there is a floor for this level of precision and while you don't have to spend 3K for a set of irons, you do have to be willing to invest a certain amount - 

I've never purchased any golf club worrying about resale value - like you're saying, it's a losing proposition...IMO, if you're not going to get fit for a set and have them custom built, then get as good of a deal as you can and get the specs as close as you can....

I state that I have never had a Custom Fitting, although I was analysed by GolfTec when I was takinging a group of lessons from them. They made a few suggestions based upon my swing and the launch monitors. The rest of my "Cusrom Fitting" has come from reading many different articles and reviewing charts, such as the Ping Chart. Over the years, i discovered that i needed a 2* flat Lie for my irons. That said, plus my need for graphite shafts due to my left wrist injury in 1998, I determined that I should be in a Regular shaft with 2* Flat Lie......so when i was selecting the options for the Cobra F6 iron review, those are the choices I made. Wow! They really do work. But I often wonder what a real Custom fit would do for my game.

You bring up something here that I think should be caught by a true fitting...

All clubs have different lie angles. Spec charts show this. Clubs by the same OEM vary too. So, if one goes to a fitting and the fitter says, "Oh, you play 2* up, so we'll just put you in 2* up with these," you could have sticks that are in-fact more upright, or flatter.

We always talk about there isn't an industry standard for stiffness of shafts, but there is t an industry standard for loft or lie.

Anyway, it's very important to have a fitter that knows this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've been through what I would consider a fitting TWICE, and one that wasn't was at a major OEM HQ!

Here's what made these two true for me: a full breakdown of specs on the clubs I walked-in with, and use of video and computers to measure angles of my swing.

Measuring my club specs: length, true loft of the faces, CPMd the shafts, weighed the clubs, etc. They knew the baseline I walked in with and then when we talked about my issues and what I needed help with, there were some issues with my current club specs that were contributing to the issue. Have to know from top to bottom what the person walks in with first.

Video and computers: How do MOST figure out lie angle needed? A lie board... Well, in the last year or so, it was published that those board do, in-fact, LIE. They're inaccurate. How do we get the correct lie angle? How about use video and computers to actually MEASURE the angle of your club at Impact during fitting? Yep. Miles of Golf in my hometown of Ypsilanti, Michigan, did this. I struck the ball, with a six iron, at around 61*... So, what did the lie angle of the 6 iron need to be? Yep, 61*. So, when the fitter grabbed irons for me to try, he grabbed them at 61* of lie angle, so a in a specific Mizuno, for instance, that may have been a club at 1* up, in the Callaway Apex, that was standard lie. We tested clubs with that specific lie angle!

So, using a fitting cart, which is incomplete, a lie board, or even GUESSING (OEM did this) at what would work because resources weren't available, lead to ill-fitting clubs.

There aren't many places that do all of this. Golfsmith, Edwin Watts, etc certainly don't, and demo days don't either. So, to go through a true fitting, by my definition, is tough to find. But, when I went to Miles of Golf it was only $125... That's cheaper than buying a set not fit correctly and then searching again!!!

***Quick note... If the SHAFTS for driver fitting haven't been CPMd and the fitter has them separated by "stiff", "X", etc, you could have an issue. We know that not all stiff are the same, so why do "fitters" have them separated that way? Proof is in the Fubuki I now have for my driver. It's stamped "S", but it actually CPMd at X! Granted, one should see some numbers that are different among the shafts tried, but be aware that fitters perpetuate the fallacy of stiffness across and within lines by not getting the cycles of the shafts they use for fitting...****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Archived