TESTERS WANTED! ×

Custom Fitting Defined

Man... you guys live in another universe than me. My entire set of irons was less than 500. AND it's really hard to make your money back on clubs on eBay. I've tried..and tried...and tried..and...

My first set of irons when I started playing were around that much. I bought a set of MB2s off eBay for bout 300 and replaced the shafts myself. That's how I learned how to replaced shafts and grips and stuff.

My tmag MCs were the most I've spent on clubs because they were fitted. To me it was worth the money because of how much I do play and practice. To me it all depends on how much time you commit to the game if it's worth spending a lot of money or not.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I mentioned the other day that I might drop by Club Champion in Austin, Tx. this past weekend. And I did. It's a nice place with two hitting bays and a putter fitting area. I was greeted when I walked in by one of the guys and we started a conversation. I spent about 30 minutes looking around and asking questions. My only slight interest is a driver fitting. The guy I talked with gave me a card that identified him as a Master Fitter & Builder. Ok, I guess so. No reason to doubt that. Anyway, we talked and talked about fitting this and that. We discussed my experience and game and his experience with fitting. He didn't try to BS me in any way. Not that I'm so knowledgeable or anything; it's just that he wasn't trying to sell me or anything. I can smell a BS'er and he wasn't one. They had plenty of heads and shafts on display that I assume are all available for testing. No prices on any equipment.

After most of the chit chat was done I picked up a Titleist 915 driver head (for example) and asked what might this cost me. Head, shaft, grip, fitting. Out the door. Without much hesitation he said about $800. I quickly asked what shaft he had in mind and he picked up a Diamana of some flavor. Cost? $400! I kind of chuckled and told him I didn't have a $800 game. I then asked wouldn't it possible to fit me with a great playing club with a $200 or less shaft? Of course he said. So, know I'm back down to the $600 club I estimated the other day. That's still a lot... I think. However, there is a possibility to get a better deal he told me. Occasionally he said they run a "special" and drop the fitting fee or reduce it substantially. Mmmm... maybe.

The Club Champion in Austin doesn't build clubs. The specs are turned in to a company owned facility (some place) where they build the club and ship to me. The shaft is also SST Pure'd.

Overall I enjoyed my visit and the guy I was dealing with was friendly and seemed knowledgeable. Who knows. Perhaps one day I go back and take advantage of the "special" and buy one.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

PlaidJacket, that sounds like a great idea. I took a look at their web site and there would be plenty of great shafts at the right price point. I 've been having my shafts SSTPured for years now and believe it helps. One less thing in the mix and you get a great stick at a great price.

I think I've wasted more money buying OTR and switching every season than if I had just gone to a fitting from the very beginning.

I started playing in 2010, went through about 3 sets of irons before getting fit for my MP59, which I used for 4 seasons.

If the fitter doesn't credit the fee towards a purchase, at least you get the spec sheet and can go find a cheaper alternative. You are paying for the information. Just don't go in misleading the fitter and expect to get it for free.

For a driver and iron fitting I paid $150, very reasonable IMO.

That's $12 per month or how I like to see it: 3 beers per month that I don't get to drink :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

3 beers per month you don't get to drink and hopefully don't NEED since your playing better with your fit equipment :lol: :lol: :lol:

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Archived