TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - BEN HOGAN GOLF VKTR HYBRID

JBones

OK, whew!, have finally posted my Stage 2 review for the VKTR hybrids.

(Had a few issues with formatting in the forum editor, but do seem to have a gotten a handle on inserting pictures, but then along the way got a "CONTENT_TOO_LONG" error ???!!??? so my "Preliminary" section, along with a few other parts, had to go...)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

My Stage 2 is up

Driver - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 - 9.5* - Stiff Shaft

3wood - TaylorMade SLDR            - 15*  - Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 20*  - Stiff Shaft

- Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 24*  - Stiff Shaft

Irons - Ben Hogan Apex Plus - 5-PW - Rifle 5.0 Shaft

Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTX - 52* 56* 60* - Tru-Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft

Putter -Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB1-C

Balls -TaylorMade Project (a)

Shoes - Adidas Tour360 Boost - All Black

Two small updates on my Stage 2 post:

1. Had an incorrect factoid in the "Moveable Weights" section, re: 1 SW = 3 grams; checked this and apparently 1 SW .. in the clubhead .. is 2 grams.

2. Work-around for whistling noise: also added a small piece of clear plastic tape over the opening of the heel weight port, too ... tape over the toe weight port took care of _most_ of the noise but there was still a bit there....

And an "fyi":

Driver is back in the bag! Have a charity outing this coming weekend - which will be best ball  - so if I get a lucky drive then yeah! and if I don't well we still have three other chances, right? ;-) 

Played it yesterday on a practice round and hit three balls off the longest tee - first shot went wide right but still playable, and next two went 240 into the dogleg (onto an upslope) and lay only about 15 yards from each other, so was very happy with that! 

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Good honest review Kenny.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Good honest review Kenny.

Agreed - it's interesting we had somewhat similar experiences and conclusions (and aspirations! .. I also had dreamy visions of Ben Hogan-esque ace smooth perfect tempo swings in my head...)

I like the idea of adding an extra heavy weight screw (vs experimenting with lead tape); going to contact BHG and ask if they can send a pair of those 9g weights!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Agreed - it's interesting we had somewhat similar experiences and conclusions (and aspirations! .. I also had dreamy visions of Ben Hogan-esque ace smooth perfect tempo swings in my head...)

I like the idea of adding an extra heavy weight screw (vs experimenting with lead tape); going to contact BHG and ask if they can send a pair of those 9g weights!

I can't help but wonder what BHG is doing with 9-gram weights.  It's not an option for the VKTRs, but maybe they are available for fitting at certain BHG locations.  My other thought was DRIVERS!?!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I can't help but wonder what BHG is doing with 9-gram weights. It's not an option for the VKTRs, but maybe they are available for fitting at certain BHG locations. My other thought was DRIVERS!?!

Emailed customer service and asked if they could send me a pair of those replacement weight screws (haven't heard back yet but they do have a programming snafu in their auto-reply).

While emailing them it occurred to me that if you're replacing 1x18g + 1x2g = 20 grams ... then you'll need 2 x 10-gram weights ... asked if they had these available....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well after several days out to sea on the ship and moving my family to Washington I was finally able to get my review up. I hope you guys get some information that will help you decide if these are the right clubs for you.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• 2 weeks later...

The more I play the more I like these clubs. I especially like the 18* its perfect for what I need it to do. The 21* is really good but I hit my 3 iron very well so I am still undecided on this one. More to come soon.

Anyone have any specific questions about the VKTR Hybrids?

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

The more I play the more I like these clubs. I especially like the 18* its perfect for what I need it to do. The 21* is really good but I hit my 3 iron very well so I am still undecided on this one. More to come soon.

Have to admit am a bit jealous... ;) But then you're a much better player and these clubs are well suited to you. Congrats on finding the right tool for the job!

That said, I am getting a bit more comfortable with the 20° .. it may possibly perhaps could displace my current 20.5 hybrid, a Cobra F6, which I seem to use primarily as my "rescue" type club.

Oh, and separately -

Did receive a set of 8-gram weight screws from Hogan customer service. Plan on heading to the range and experimenting with a few different configurations.

This would be replacing the one 18g weight plus one, or more, 2g weight(s) so the clubhead swing weight will probably be changing (it's currently approx D2 with a total of 24 grams in the four weight screws, unless I end up with 3 x 8g screws and leave one out).

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...

As a footnote, I liked the Cobra F6 50* Gap Wedge so much, that when I got a chance, I ordered the matching Sand Wedge, 2* Flat with Matrix Red Tie regular graphite shaft.  I have been using it for several rounds now and can say that it is every bit as solid as the Gap Wedge.  In order to accommodate the new wedge, I removed my SCOR wedges (53* & 57*) from the bag, which allowed me to insert the Bonbtech 4 Hybrid(21*).  So while I am adjusting my game to 3 wedges, I have an extra long club to use.  Has anyone else aquired the Sand Wedge?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

As a footnote, I liked the Cobra F6 50* Gap Wedge so much, that when I got a chance, I ordered the matching Sand Wedge, 2* Flat with Matrix Red Tie regular graphite shaft. I have been using it for several rounds now and can say that it is every bit as solid as the Gap Wedge. In order to accommodate the new wedge, I removed my SCOR wedges (53* & 57*) from the bag, which allowed me to insert the Bonbtech 4 Hybrid(21*). So while I am adjusting my game to 3 wedges, I have an extra long club to use. Has anyone else acquired the Sand Wedge?

Hey Foz -

Maybe you meant to post this under the F6 irons thread? Anyway.. I am .. shocked? .. you've replaced your SCOR wedges .. thought you were one of those guys "..only when you pry it from my cold dead fingers".... ;-)

I'm also happy with my F6 50° (and the rest of the F6 set!) but so far have not considered adding the sand wedge. Actually been thinking in the other direction -- late in the season picked up a Mizuno S5 wedge that I'm pretty pleased with and had been considering getting a matching 50°.....

Interesting you added a 21 hybrid. This is a spot in my bag I'm *still* experimenting with - including the VKTR 20°.

I keep switching between that and an F6 3/4 hybrid set at 20.5° and an Adams 3H (20°) and even picked up a Cally XR Pro 20 that I kinda like, too!

So many club choices, so little time....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Ooops! ...My bad.....LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I tried the VKTR a couple of times this past summer. I had no trouble at all getting the ball in the air, even with the weight behind the face for a more penetrating flight. It went high and straight, but it was a little spinny. We only had one X shaft and I don't remember what it was, but it didn't carry much farther than my 3 iron. Great look and feel, but too much spin for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• 5 months later...

Stage 3 is up. Wasn't sure when we were supposed to do it, but it's done now!

Driver - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 - 9.5* - Stiff Shaft

3wood - TaylorMade SLDR            - 15*  - Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 20*  - Stiff Shaft

- Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 24*  - Stiff Shaft

Irons - Ben Hogan Apex Plus - 5-PW - Rifle 5.0 Shaft

Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTX - 52* 56* 60* - Tru-Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft

Putter -Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB1-C

Balls -TaylorMade Project (a)

Shoes - Adidas Tour360 Boost - All Black

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been a while, but -- I do think about these hybrids every now and then... Really wish I still had that 20° (it, and a few other clubs, had been ummm "borrowed" from my garage one summer day) ... It would be really useful to me now (as my swing is evolving and progressing) to fill an important slot in the bag.

Still stand by my early first impression: if you're a better player who wants to try a hybrid but has had trouble finding one that launches and plays well for you - definitely give these a test!
(Hogan has a demo program .. see their website)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Archived