Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Your favorite equipment misconceptions

null

"I hit the ball too high"

It's amazing how many people I play with say that as I watch them hit borderline line drives

I have been running an unofficial/undocumented study of all golfers that I have talked to in the past 14 years regarding ball flight. I ALWAYS ask if the customer hits it higher or lower than the guys he plays with.....  

92% of all players surveyed hit the ball higher than their playing companions..   Without fail.

I even asked a regular foursome each individually the same question..  They ALL hit it higher than the rest of the group...  I don't know how that works, but it is how players perceive their individual shot pattern.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I have been running an unofficial/undocumented study of all golfers that I have talked to in the past 14 years regarding ball flight. I ALWAYS ask if the customer hits it higher or lower than the guys he plays with.....  

92% of all players surveyed hit the ball higher than their playing companions..   Without fail.

I even asked a regular foursome each individually the same question..  They ALL hit it higher than the rest of the group...  I don't know how that works, but it is how players perceive their individual shot pattern.

It's quite amazing.  Several guys I play with have their driver "dialed down" to 8.5 or 9 degrees to keep the flight lower.  Then I watch them hit a line drive that costs them about 40 or 50 yards of carry and they wonder why they are hitting 220 yard drives when the fairways are soggy

It's quite amazing.  Several guys I play with have their driver "dialed down" to 8.5 or 9 degrees to keep the flight lower.  Then I watch them hit a line drive that costs them about 40 or 50 yards of carry and they wonder why they are hitting 220 yard drives when the fairways are soggy

Conversely there are the guys who hit it too high (w/driver anyway) because they're getting crazy spin from their head/shaft combination.  Its fun to watch them on the range because their ball just gets stood straight up w/all that spin and then falls out of the sky like a wounded dove.  So of course they just start swinging harder which only makes their problem worse.  

Conversely there are the guys who hit it too high (w/driver anyway) because they're getting crazy spin from their head/shaft combination.  Its fun to watch them on the range because their ball just gets stood straight up w/all that spin and then falls out of the sky like a wounded dove.  So of course they just start swinging harder which only makes their problem worse.  

I've seen that only a few times. I was the opposite hit the driver low and under wind. Now I hit it fairly high, but brought the wind into play. 

How about irons promising more distance but it's by changing the angle of the clubface? 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

This iron gives me wildly varying distances because of the cup face, or flex face, or speed channel or whatever that companies technology is.

I have plated my last 8 rounds with irons with some sort of this technology(never played previous years, so maybe it used to be a problem) and not once have I seen this mysterious spot where the club starts flying greens all of a sudden.

Maybe it is because I hit the SS most of the time.  Maybe these are people who are ill fit and rarely hit the SS and when they do it flies the green, or it only happens out of the rough and they do not know what a flier is.

I have been out of town for the better part of two weeks, I am playing a lot though so I shouldn't complain, and have not been posting much.  I am back in town now and will be here for the better part of a month.

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

Ha, I play with one guy who can only get 3 out of 5 shots off the ground, one guy who brings the rain, and the third is a middle ballflight guy like myself.   I hit my irons high enough that they stop relatively quick or spin back.  My driver is a little lower than I would like with a touch more spin than I would like as well.  

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

It's amazing how many people I play with say that as I watch them hit borderline line drives

I used to resemble this remark about 2-5 years ago lol 

But I think my case was justified. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Maybe 10 years ago, I hit it high (not too high, but high enough) now I have a regular flex 10.5 head lofted up 1 degree and still don't think I hit it high enough 80% of the time.  it's better now than last year when I was hitting a line drive that would have made George Brett proud. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

One that really gets on my nerves are when people say that play "blades." Then I look over at their bag and there is some type of cavity backs in their bag... Like cool, I get that you don't have some type of shovel in your bag and wouldn't care if you did. But that isn't a blade by any means.  <_>

One that really gets on my nerves are when people say that play "blades." Then I look over at their bag and there is some type of cavity backs in their bag... Like cool, I get that you don't have some type of shovel in your bag and wouldn't care if you did. But that isn't a blade by any means.  <_>

True what many consider a blade now is nothing like what a true blade is or used to be.  I think too many people refer to a players CB iron as a blade. 

This is something I'd consider a blade.

vrpro-blade-iron.jpg

True what many consider a blade now is nothing like what a true blade is or used to be. I think too many people refer to a players CB iron as a blade.

vrpro-blade-iron.jpg

Really liked the VR pros even the CBs were smaller than the Wilson fg tour 100 blades I had

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

True what many consider a blade now is nothing like what a true blade is or used to be.  I think too many people refer to a players CB iron as a blade. 

vrpro-blade-iron.jpg

I miss my babies sometimes  :( Those were some sweet irons. 5-pw were VR pro blades and 3i/4i were pro combos. 

I miss my babies sometimes :( Those were some sweet irons. 5-pw were VR pro blades and 3i/4i were pro combos.

I wish I had gotten a set of these!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Or as I shoot a smooth 73 to their 89.  I get the high ball thing all the time, but I know how to control it and play well with it. 

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

True what many consider a blade now is nothing like what a true blade is or used to be. I think too many people refer to a players CB iron as a blade.

vrpro-blade-iron.jpg

I'm sometimes guilty of this, I try and stop myself, but sometimes it's just easier to call them blades than try and explain what they are

I'm sometimes guilty of this, I try and stop myself, but sometimes it's just easier to call them blades than try and explain what they are

I get it. Blade, does roll off the tongue easier than players CB. Just like on the complete opposite end of the scale, game improvement is a bit easier than Super Game Improvement, plus it's a bit easier on the ego as well..ha

Archived