TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tiger to Miura?

GolfSpy Barbajo

• SPY VIP

I'm not saying they are trying to sell clubs off his back. We are talking about established companies with people who are already brand loyal. Plus someone has to snag some of the people who were playing Nike bc they were TW fans. Look I'm not saying your going to make or break your company by signing TW but is having him better than not having him? Yea prolly. Plus you prolly get him at a big discount right now. Its not like you can pay him to wear your gear or shoes on top of that.

Maybe - But it's a very calculated risk -I don't know I'd say every company is better if the have TW playing it's clubs - Say hypothetically a larger company signed him at a discount...someone like Titleist - Then TW comes out, misses 5/5 cuts and calls it good...How does that scenario help any company? Now granted, if TW comes out and wins a couple tournaments (and that's a ginormous IF) there's certainly some short term boost - I just don't see the value for a company with which he's never had any relationship - 

Maybe - But it's a very calculated risk -I don't know I'd say every company is better if the have TW playing it's clubs - Say hypothetically a larger company signed him at a discount...someone like Titleist - Then TW comes out, misses 5/5 cuts and calls it good...How does that scenario help any company? Now granted, if TW comes out and wins a couple tournaments (and that's a ginormous IF) there's certainly some short term boost - I just don't see the value for a company with which he's never had any relationship -

Makes sense, but the "nostalgia card" may have intangible benefits to an OEM he'd be associated with at any level ... Tiger does still have diehard fans plus I've read he's still a "draw" in Asia.

Certainly he's probably more interested in developing the TW brand than anything else these days, and maybe from his point of view an OEM with R&D, manufacturing, and especially marketing, etc. may be a benefit to him...?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Makes sense, but the "nostalgia card" may have intangible benefits to an OEM he'd be associated with at any level ... Tiger does still have diehard fans plus I've read he's still a "draw" in Asia.

Certainly he's probably more interested in developing the TW brand than anything else these days, and maybe from his point of view an OEM with R&D, manufacturing, and especially marketing, etc. may be a benefit to him...?

Maybe that's why Nike dropped golf equipment... so Tiger could produce a TW brand of clubs just like Nicklaus did.  ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I personally don't think he has to be successful on the course for the partnership to work. I agree that larger companies wouldn't benefit nearly as much. Tmag and Cally for instance should probably steer clear. Titleist on the other hand I could see doing it successfully. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I played a match today at my club against a guy that was all in on Nike and a huge Tiger fan. If Nike makes it he owns it and had a full bag of Nike clubs until about two weeks ago. When the Tiger to Muira story hit the press he switched out his Nike blades for Muira blades, Nike putter for a Scotty and back to a Titleist ball. He told me today that he will switch his woods out once Tiger decides what he is playing. Glad he put blades in the bag with a sweet spot the size of a gnat's a$$, helped me a lot and beat him like a drum today.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I played a match today at my club against a guy that was all in on Nike and a huge Tiger fan. If Nike makes it he owns it and had a full bag of Nike clubs until about two weeks ago. When the Tiger to Muira story hit the press he switched out his Nike blades for Muira blades, Nike putter for a Scotty and back to a Titleist ball. He told me today that he will switch his woods out once Tiger decides what he is playing. Glad he put blades in the bag with a sweet spot the size of a gnat's a$$, helped me a lot and beat him like a drum today.

Sometimes it's just too easy

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Sometimes it's just too easy

Unfortunately my match went a few holes longer than it should have, but a win is a win.  I did get to hit his irons and have to say it may just be the first club with a C taper that I could actually play.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Agreed. Let's face it - if Nike are closing out their golf business because of the downturn in the Tiger factor, what makes any other company think it can sell clubs on the back of his status?

From an entry level point of view (which was possibly the factor behind Nikes initial success) what aspiring golfers are going to be citing Tiger as a factor in their choice? Some of the younger players are already probably saying "Tiger who?". That's show business I guess.

I doubt very seriously than there are many younger players saying "Tiger who?"

The guy is a legend in a way that we may never see again in this great sport. Is he as popular as he was in 2002? Probably not, but I would be willing to bet than any golfer over the age of 10 "knows" Tiger!

The guy is a legend in a way that we may never see again in this great sport. Is he as popular as he was in 2002? Probably not, but I would be willing to bet than any golfer over the age of 10 "knows" Tiger!

I'd take that bet. With a current OWGR of 711, I think it's safe to say his best is somewhat behind him and despite of his impressive historic achievements, most 10 year olds look at the "here and now" for their inspiration - not some guy languishing at 711 in the rankings with no current upturn in form or tv exposure. ymmv of course.

I'd take that bet. With a current OWGR of 711, I think it's safe to say his best is somewhat behind him and despite of his impressive historic achievements, most 10 year olds look at the "here and now" for their inspiration - not some guy languishing at 711 in the rankings with no current upturn in form or tv exposure. ymmv of course.

I would agree. It's like saying Sam Snead and expecting someone younger to know who they are.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I would agree. It's like saying Sam Snead and expecting someone younger to know who they are.

Yea but the difference is, Sam isn't in the media anymore and Tiger's name still pops up every day on Sportscenter when they talk golf. (Even though it shouldn't)

Plus it was only 2.5 years ago when he was #1. 

If I ask random people on the streets of some famous golfers playing today my bet is that most mention Tiger in the first few names even though he hasn't played an event this year. (yet)

If the kids are serious enough about playing the game and not just out playing because their mom or dad plays, I agree with you.  They know Tiger.  I am also of the opinion that they know Jack and Arnie as well because of TV and social media.  I say that because when I was growing up and playing baseball in the 1950's and 1960's, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris were the stars of the day, but all of us kids knew who Babe Ruth was, and he died when I was one year old.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

But the point is, does it make you want to buy a set of clubs endorsed by him? That is the crux of this thread. No doubt there are several sports stars of the past whose names carry some gravitas (Babe Ruth included) but that doesn't naturally translate into automatic sales of endorsed equipment. In fact, there is some data to suggest that once a sports star reaches an iconic status, any product they endorse becomes slightly cheesey. Just think about that when you next see an Arnold Palmer wedge and Gary Player irons...

But the point is, does it make you want to buy a set of clubs endorsed by him? That is the crux of this thread. No doubt there are several sports stars of the past whose names carry some gravitas (Babe Ruth included) but that doesn't naturally translate into automatic sales of endorsed equipment. In fact, there is some data to suggest that once a sports star reaches an iconic status, any product they endorse becomes slightly cheesey. Just think about that when you next see an Arnold Palmer wedge and Gary Player irons...

There hasn't been and won't ever be a player on tour who influences what clubs I purchase.

I buy clubs because they work for me or catch my eye, not because Jason Day won a major with them or Tiger Woods endorses them.

That's just me though. We are all different!

Dude who played Jmikecpa went out and spent 3k on irons off or a rumor so I'd say some people will. Not me but I haven't thought that way since I was a teen.

Dude who played Jmikecpa went out and spent 3k on irons off or a rumor so I'd say some people will. Not me but I haven't thought that way since I was a teen.

Just reminded me of a New York post article about why Nike golf equipment failed. 12-15 year old gotta-have-em and the younger crowd have no money, and adults are less likely to want to impress the kids at school with Wacky colors.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Just reminded me of a New York post article about why Nike golf equipment failed. 12-15 year old gotta-have-em and the younger crowd have no money, and adults are less likely to want to impress the kids at school with Wacky colors.

While I think that played a part it was also the old people looking down their noses at Nike equipment. But once it was on super sale they flew off the shelves.

There hasn't been and won't ever be a player on tour who influences what clubs I purchase.

I buy clubs because they work for me or catch my eye, not because Jason Day won a major with them or Tiger Woods endorses them.

That's just me though. We are all different!

If that is the case for everybody, then why is it necessary to pay players huge endorsement fees?

I think that most manufacturers are hoping that the role model player who uses their equipment strikes a chord with the consumer in some way - that is the whole point of endorsements and advertising.

Just about any product you will ever buy with a brand name ultimately has an influence on your choice of purchase - but it also has an influence on the products you don't buy. Miura will have that effect if Tiger has an association with them - there's already enough Nike-clad fanboys out there to guarantee it. But also bear in mind that some sponsors have dropped him in the past too - he is certainly not anywhere near his promotional best.

If Tiger does actually choose to put Miura irons in play, then expect a moderate increase in sales of those clubs. But don't expect anything like the Nike euphoria the cash registers saw during his prime.

Passing on this I saw on Twitter:

-----------------------------------

Sitting down? Sources telling me @TigerWoods in serious negotiation to purchase @TaylorMadeGolf from @adidas AG .

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Passing on this I saw on Twitter:

Sitting down? Sources telling me @TigerWoods in serious negotiation to purchase @TaylorMadeGolf from @adidas AG .

I seriously doubt that TW has enough money to pay for his divorce settlement - let alone a multi billion dollar company. Having said that, his net worth is around $700 million (less the odd $100 million to his ex-wife and maintenance payments to children). Which leaves him somewhat short of Tmags reported $15 billion valuation. Even the most optimistic consortium would find that kind of investment (given the current equipment climate) a tad too rich for their taste. Coupled with an estimated shareholders loss of around  $15 billion for his off-course antics, I also doubt that many investors would go near him with a nickel.

Which leads to the next question - who is more desperate? Tmag to sell or TW to resurrect a career?

Archived