TESTERS WANTED! ×

Official Forum Member Review - Precision Pro GPS Golf Band

Official Forum Member Review

Precision Pro GPS Golf Band

Precision-Pro-GPS-Watch-Band-bnr.jpg

Another MyGolfSpy Forum Member Review is ready to roll.  We have a great group of guys ready to test out the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band for you, and let you know if this thing does what it says it'll do, and if it's a good value.  Let's introduce the team:

RevKev:                                   Stage 1               Stage 2

Rodeocody                              Stage 1               Stage 2

Carolina Golfer 2                     Stage 1               Stage 2

skwieland                                Stage 1                Stage 2

Go get 'em guys!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I was honored to be selected by Precision Pro and MGS to perform a test on the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band.  I'm starting the initial review with a picture of the package that arrived at my house because beyond a doubt the service provided by the folks at Precision Pro was off the charts.  Those who have been involved in product tests will be amazed to learn that we received our devices around a week after being selected as testers!

A bit about myself as a person and a player:

I'm a veteran member of the MGS forums who has done numerous tests in the past.  The screen name and badge are for real, I am a Lutheran Minister, the Senior Pastor of a nice sized congregation with a Day School through the 8th grade.  As the Senior Pastor I'm the supervisor of a staff of 50 plus people.  I'm also married with four children one of whom still lives at home.  We currently have an adult child and his family living with us as he transitions from the Navy to civilian life.  All of this is important because it means that my life is hectic and like many I don't have as much time to play golf as I would like.  So when I do I like things simple, easy to use, stow and go with no fooling around.

Remarkably I'm a fairly good player for someone with so much going on, 3.9 index.  I'm 59 so I don't get the ball out there as far as I once did but I thrive on consistency, accuracy and a solid short game.  Yardage information is extremely important to me because I need to think my way around the course and at my handicap a stroke here or there is crucial. 

I have used GPS technology in the past (Golf Buddy and Bushnell GPS watch).  The issue with the GPS unit was forgetting it from time to time and actually there was a hole on the course that I played most frequently were the unit was not accurate.  I found the watch too cumbersome and gave up on it rather quickly.

For the past three seasons I have used a Bushnell range finder which is accurate and easy to use.  However it does not give me the front/middle or middle/back yardages which I prefer and it is sometimes hard to find yardages to key hazards and lay up points. 

If it were simple to use, a wrist band so that I couldn't loose it and light I would prefer a GPS to the range finder.  Enter the test opportunity!

When I opened the box pictured above here's what I found:

There are four simple pieces, a band, a charger, a cleaning tool and an instruction sheet all smaller than the size of a fist.  The instruction sheet is extremely simple to follow and in short order my band was out, charged and ready to go.

I realize that folks have different perceptions about "religious" people and particularly Christians.  We do come in all shapes and sizes.  Lutherans believe that God made the world to be enjoyed so that all things are good when used properly and in moderation.  It's in that spirit that I'm heading to the course and raising a glass to MGS, Precision Pro and the Forum Community.  Precision Pro touts itself as being thinner, lighter and more wearable than the leading GPS band, let's test it out and see, so until Stage 2, cheers:

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

​Stage 2 Review

​I want to begin this review by apologizing to the folks at Precision Pro and the MGS Community for being tardy with this review.  Perhaps it is for the better that it comes now as we are moving into the Holiday buying season and there will be people out there looking to purchase a product such as this one for themselves or the Golfer in their life.

So without any further adieu here is my review of the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band:

0815161841c_resized.jpg

Just about everything that you would want to know about the Golf Band itself is found on its packaging.  In the front you will see the Band.  The side and back panels contain information about its benefits and its uses.  It's interesting to note that while there is a time telling feature, it is not mentioned on packaging.  That is because it is not a watch!

That is what the folks at Precision Pro are quick to say in their marketing material that it is not a watch and that is because its is "Thinner-Lighter-More Comfortable".  Than what?  You might ask.  Than a golf watch being the logical answer although they add in text that, "The GPS Golf Band is the thinnest, lightest, and most user friendly wearable GPS available."

Now I will be honest and report that I have not tried every golf band on the market.  I do own and tried to use a Bushnell Golf Watch.  While I liked the convenience, look at the wrist and there were the front, center and back yardages, press a button and get hazard/lay up yardages the thing was far too bulky for me.  It felt like I had a brick on my wrist.  I gave up on it and haven't looked back.

That is not the case with the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band.  It is thin.  It is light.  It is comfortable to the point that I enjoy wearing it and notice it more when I'm not than when I do, if that makes sense. 

There is no impact on my golf swing while wearing this device and it is extremely easy to use.  Between the packaging and small 16 panel quick start guide I had mine golf ready in no time.  Everything about it is intuitive even the charging cord.  There are over 35,000 courses preloaded into it.  The only caveat is that it does take a little time to find the satellite and locate the  course that you are on, at least the ones that I've played.  Be sure to fire yours up for play on the practice green, about five minutes before you tee off or so.

While I'm not the best at taking or downloading pictures the one above was taken next to my ball on the par 5 14th hole at Mangrove Bay Golf Course in St. Petersburg FL.  It was a very sunny, hot early September afternoon.  Bright sun or dark clouds the screen is easy to read and yardages pop right up.  I was very quickly able to determine that the green was out of reach.  Next a pressed a button and had my lay up yardage which with a back right pin is often just short of the bunker on the left.  My 6 iron left me a perfect 93 yard 54 degree wedge in.  I knocked it close but missed the putt for birdie.  Unfortunately my wrist band doesn't read putts for me. :(

Picking up yardages to hazards or lay up points is easy.  The quick start guide has a chart of the abbreviations used but they are simple to decipher at a glance, up to four on each hole.  Into the green all yardages are front, center, back. 

A note about the yardages.  According to the guide the accuracy error range is 2-8 yards.  There is also a little note that they have determined front/center back.  The golfer must recognize that greens are not symmetrical.  What he or she perceives as front/middle back may differ from the device.  Like any measuring device it is critical to add ones own common sense into the equation.  Also the Precision Pro is not as accurate to the pin as a top laser range finder.  For a better player (I fall into that category as a 4 handicapper) it will be best used in combination with a range finder. 

Based on using my Range Finder with my GPS Golf Band I would say that the 2-8 yard claim is accurate and that in many cases its "off" because it and I have differing interpretations of what front/middle/back might be on a given hole.

So who is it for?  I would say any golfer although a player with a mid to low handicap will want to have a Range Finder handy for up the yard accuracy on approach shots.  I use it for tee shots on all holes, to get carry distances over bunkers on approach shots, yardages to hazards/lay ups, measuring my driving distance on a few holes each round and as a Odometer.  I never use it as a watch because its not a watch. :)

The $179.95 retail price point is very attractive and it would make a very nice stocking stuffer for that golfer who is hard to buy for.  Beyond a doubt it is Thinner, Lighter and More Comfortable.  I'm not a big one for giving number grades to products that I test but I would say that my likelihood of purchasing this product would be extremely high.  I was looking for something just like it when the opportunity to test came up.  Had I not been selected as a tester the likelihood of my purchasing this product would be in the 90 percent range.  It does exactly what I was looking for in a GPS Golf Band.

Thanks again to Precision Pro and MGS for this opportunity.  I wish you nothing but success in marketing your wonderful product.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Precision Pro GPS Golf Band-Initial Thoughts Pictures

My Name is Rob, I've been playing golf regularly for about 20 years, I did start in High School where I was the sixth man on a five man team...honestly. I took about 10 years off afterward to play other sports. Below is a detailed “get to know me and my game bio” of sorts.

My handicap has gone up and down like an elevator over the last 25 years. From a lowest ever of 14 about 8 years ago to a high of 26 about two years ago. It's currently at 19.6, down from 23 at the beginning of the year. At my lowest cap, I was pretty long off the tee (around 280'ish) and good with the irons but had a mediocre short game at best.

A near fatal auto accident caused some spine damage and that was followed by four knee surgeries, including total replacement of both knees two years ago. Combined those have robbed me of the strength and distance I used to have.

Sadly since I've been using a GPS the past year there are no disputing these numbers. Now 220 yards is a good drive, but as a result I'm a bit more accurate off the tee and have developed an ever improving wedge game and putting is now my strength.

I have used various distance measuring devices over the years both laser and GPS. This year I have been using the new Garmin X40 that is the same wrist band style as the GPS Golf Band.

The front of the box display

I really do embrace technology in all phases of the game, I've been using a measuring device of some sort every year for the past 10 years. I've alternated between GPS and laser style, I jumped on the Sky Caddie when it first game out, and have used a two different laser range finders over the years, one Nikon and the most recent a Bushnell.

A helpful display of the icons and features of the GPS Golf Band

If I had to say I had a preference, it would be the GPS style. I'm not good enough to need to know the exact distance to the pin. Tell me it's 135 to the front and 150 to the middle and 160 to the back, and I am generally going to pull the club for that 150 distance regardless of where the pin is.

Contents of the box, very simple and uncluttered packaging

I like the speed of GPS units, they have improved so much in the past 5 years, you no longer have to wait 15 to 30 seconds once you arrive at your ball for the yards to count down to the correct number. Having a quick glance of the distance to the green or any hazards is huge. And certainly on any uphill blind shots where you can't see the green is a huge advantage. I've had several laser carrying friends ask me the distance in these cases.

I love technology in all other areas of the game as well, the use of trackman in fittings, the adjustability of clubs and all the stat tracking services that come with some GPS or other stand alone products. The more info the better for me.

I had very little knowledge of the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band before seeing the test opportunity. I had seen a picture of it, and quite honestly, based on that I thought it was much too large for my liking, just comparing the picture to the Garmin X40 I currently owned, I thought I wouldn't like it at all.

The size of the GPS Golf Band is just about perfect

However, after seeing it in person, I was mistaken. It is larger than the X40 as the comparison pictures will show. That said, it's not markedly larger, or a deal breaker in sense. In fact if it had been the first GPS Band style device I had seen, I would be quite pleased with the compact size.

Two things I want to mention since Phase 1 is initial thoughts. Are the charging device and the way the band clasps.

• The charging connection is a bit awkward, it's the same as many GPS that it has a square device that clasp on to the back. The first attempt at attching it took me a good 10 minutes. It's a simple concept but the connectors just didn't seem to click right away. I had similar issues with the Garmin but not quite as hard.
  • The band has two pins that punch through holes in the rubber band. One from the top and one from the bottom. To me this was pretty easy to do with one hand. Unlike the Garmin whch has the typical slide the band through the clasp (watch style) method. With the band being made out of pretty flexible rubber (due to water proofing I assume) it requires me to lay my left hand down on a table of something to hold the GPS in place while I try to thread the band through.
Granted I don't have the hands of a surgeon, but the GPS Golf Band method is much easier.

For visual comparison to the Garmin X40

Asking me what makes me love the game, is that it can be played by just about anyone at any age, and it can be played for fun or competition. I play a good amount of both, and enjoy them quite a bit. But given my choice, I'll tee it up in a competition any day. But I don't let that keep me from enjoying the company and the round.

As for my bag, it's ever changing. I can't remember the last time it stayed the same for an entire season. I have never had an allegiance to one company, as I've had a club in play from just about every major OEM at one point or another.

The past 3 years, I have had a lot of success with Callaway offerings, and my current bag reflects that. This year I started working in the industry as the Tournament Sales Director for a 36 hole public course in suburban Maryland.

We're a pretty big Titleist shop and as a result I have put several clubs of Titleist in my bag this year. I've been so impressed, they are no longer only a “players” club. I have found the SM6 wedges and 816 H1 hybrids the easiest to hit and most forgiving clubs in their respective categories. I of course am eagerly awaiting the release of the 917 series.

My current Make Up

Driver: Callaway XR16 10.5 with Project X LZ Shaft

FW: Callaway Optiforce 15 and 19 degree both with PX LZ shafts.

Hybrids: Titleist 816 H1 21 and 23 degree with Diamana Red Shaft

Irons: Callaway CF16 6-PW Recoil 680 F4 shafts

Wedges: Titleist SM6 50.08 F grind, 54.08 M grind and 58.12 K grind

Putter: Scotty Cameron X7M 35”

During the next stage I will have detailed on course pictures of the PP GPS Golf Band and on course comparisons to the Garmin X40.

I'll end this portion of the review with a bit of a teaser. It's a live video of the GPS Golf Band locating the course and hole, so you can see how long or short it takes to do so.

While watching the GPS load may seem like it's taking long, it was n fact just over 1:30. So in reality, if you hit Play Golf when leaving the putting green, by the time you arrive at the first tee, it should be loaded and ready to go.

I'll have more on the button features you see on the side of the GPS in Stage 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fIfcQjjwAI

I will have detailed comparisons of the two in the next stage, but for starters I want to focus on the initial impressions of the PP GPS Golf Band.

Note: pics appear to be displaying upside down on my iPad but should be correct on PC.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

See Below For Stage 2

My real name is Steve, but most people call me Wheels. It's just half my last name. Nothing to do with 5 years in Professional drag racing! I'm a plumber by trade but now work of a major boiler manufacture. I live 16 miles north of Philadelphia... that's in PA!

I didn't start golfing until I was in my early forties. I always thought, "Who the F wants to hit a little white ball and chase it?" Then one day I tried it, and it worked, and I was hooked. My life will never be the same.

Golf for me is social. I mean at one time I was a 11 handicap. Then one day while playing, I stepped in a chuck hole and my ankle will never be the same. But I really love the game, and the people I play with, and I am not giving up. Today I like to say I'm a 19 handicap and improving... somedays!

I suffer from inconsistency. Somedays my Taylor Made irons are hot, somedays my GRENADE driver is hot, somedays my See More putter is hot... and somedays they all suck! But I'm there to hang with my friends and have a great time. WE laugh, we enjoy each other company, we delight over an occasional great shot... we enjoy the time together!  

CONFESSION: I even try and walk 18 with my wife a few times every month... and occasionally she beats me!

So this package arrives from Precision. I won't bore you with the brown box, and the printing, or the letter  from Jonah Mytro, Co Founder and National Sales Manager, because I was so excited I ripped through everything and laid it all on the table..... LOOK HONEY WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL!!!!!PrecisionBand.jpg

Immediately I was playing, trying to figure out how to turn it on, trying to snap it on my wrist, trying to turn it on. trying to charge it, trying to see the face light up... and nothing, I mean nothing worked! I mean, here I was a kid on Christmas morning with a broken toy! DISAPPOINTING!

Then I looked at the 4 point font instructions provided. I couldn't read them either... I needed a magnifying glass.... then I saw the small reference to down load the full instructions on the Precision website. (in all fairness, Jonah also sent a follow up e-mail that also told me to download the full instructions from the website) So quick like a bunny to the website I went and read how to hook the band up to the charger, which was not easy at first. Then on to read how to use the band because I was going to play the next day.

I will admit, I've never been a fan of GPS watches. I think they are inaccurate, uncomfortable and lack information. But I was chosen to be a tester and dagnabbit I will be one!

More to come in STAGE 2, the REVIEW!

In my bag

Drivers: Grenade II, Standard flex!

FW Woods:  Cobra Fly-Z set 14.5* w/VLCT-Sp Stiff graphite shaft

Irons:  Taylor Made Speed Blades tweeked 1* w/graphite Matrix 55 gram  M shafts

Wedges:   Taylor Made Speed Blade P & A w/Matrix 55 gram M shaft, 56* SCOR V sole w/Genius 9 graphite shaft, Cleveland 60* w/steel Stiff shaft.
Putter:   SeeMore X2 custom

Balls: Snell

WOW! I can't believe it has been so long since I wrote Stage 1 review! Many apologies to Jonah and the fine folks at Precision Pro for the time it took to get 12 rounds of golf in using the Precision Pro Golf Band.

If I had written this review after my first two rounds wearing this I would have given the band a 99 out of 100! I went out and shot my first two rounds in the low 80's which I have not done since injuring my ankle three years ago. My friends LOVE the golf band!! For mid to high handicappers be ready to build the distance confidence you need in each swing to lower your score by at least 5 to 10 strokes a round when you wear this!

Now let me explain where i am with the band now.

I love the fit! I love the look! I love the light weight! At first it was a bit difficult to put on. Only using standard watches all my life the two pins were a little difficult to get through the holes. I can see how if my arthritis was worse how the difficulty could be increased, Once I got used to putting the band on and off it became easier. Once on the band stayed secure most of the time, I only say this because one time reaching into my bag for a snack I inadvertently caught the bad on the way to get much needed food.

precision band4.JPGprecision band3.JPG

The Golf Band was comfortable to wear, so much I enjoy wearing it more than a watch. It never slipped down my wrist, was unaffected by sweat, Even on hot sunny days the Golf Band did not move and did not irritate my skin like a normal watch.

Battery life is phenomenal. You can play two rounds in two days, and still wear the Precision Pro as a watch for another week without the battery dying. I could have probably played a third round with it but I just could not bring myself to do it. I have really love wearing the golf band during rounds... and I really didn't want to see it stop working!! There is an "off" feature to save battery, but my test was to see how long the battery would last.. and it beat my expectations!

In the past I have always used the GOLF SHOT app on my i-Phone for distances and to become familiar with the layout of the hole. I've become accustomed to seeing the hole layout from an aerial view, especially on courses I am unfamiliar with. I have to admit, my lowest scores using the golf band were all on courses I was familiar with. The band gave me the confidence needed to pick the right club and make the right swing. Distances were nearly spot on for hazards, end of fairway, distance to the green (front and back). I was in love!!! Even my golf partners ask me the distance now! Comparing the two, Golf Shot to Precision Pro they were nearly identical on distance most of the time.precisionband1.JPGprecision band2.JPG

After a few familiar courses I went out and played new courses. I compared results to Golf Shot and to a Bushnell Patriot V3. Of course the Bushnell was always the MOST accurate. I found that the  phone app and the Precision Pro were inaccurate at different times making believing one or the other confusing. The Precision Pro golf band was the most accurate of the two the most number of times. Only on one course in Maryland was the Precision Pro off by more than the specified accuracy and was inaccurate on nearly every hole. In all fairness this particular golf course had recently become a muni and probably saw some changes, although my phone app was nearly the same as the Bushnell range finder.

I tried the golf shot distance. This was accurate 100% of the time that I remembered to hit the button again!! Nice feature, but I rarely use it. My habit is to take the dustance I am standing at and subtract it in my head from where I started. I mean you started at 450 yards, now you are standing at 400 yards, yes you hit a shitty drive, yes it was only 50 yards, yes you passed the ladies tees. I just couldn't make it a habit to hit the button again.

I did have a problem with the buttons not functioning. After my round in Maryland I put the band in my console, put my watch back on and went home.. two days later. It was a normal 80F day out and it was not hot in the car. When I pulled the Precision Pro out the battery was lower than normal and the buttons would not function. I think one or two of the buttons were getting stuck. I reset the band by holding all the buttons in, still it would not work. I took the golf band in the house and charged it, thinking that could be a problem. Still no luck. So finally I did what anyone else would do, I got out a bigger hammer!! Not really, but what I did do was tap the golf band on my desk, and presto it worked again. Then it didn't, then it did, It was frustrating to say the least. I don't remember spilling anything on it, I wasn't sweating on it, it was not in a harsh environment. After getting the buttons to work repeatedly I charged the band up again, left it sit on my desk for a week. I was going to call Precision Pro up and discuss this but when I went to call everything was working and I can't get it to fail again! I am not sure what changed in the mean time, but I have not had a button stick now in two weeks.

Compared to my Golf Shot App: I love the superior accuracy of the Precision Pro golf band, I love the battery life, and I love the size and fit. I miss the aerial views, club selection and the score keeping that are on the phone app. I will continue to carry both.

Compared to a Bushnell, if you have a spare $500 get a range finder. For under $200, this little baby gets my vote! But note this, if I owned a range finder I would still carry my phone for all the same reasons for carrying it with the golf band!!

This product exceeded my expectations. Not having used a GPS watch, only playing with people using them, I am not sure what I expected. But compared to what I see on the course, this little baby works sweet! Size, fit, accuracy and battery life are great! As I stated earlier, for mid to high handicappers be ready to build the distance confidence you need in each swing to lower your score by at least 5-10 strokes a round when you wear this!

MY FINAL SCORE: 83

In my bag

Drivers: Grenade II, Standard flex!

FW Woods:  Cobra Fly-Z set 14.5* w/VLCT-Sp Stiff graphite shaft

Irons:  Taylor Made Speed Blades tweeked 1* w/graphite Matrix 55 gram  M shafts

Wedges:   Taylor Made Speed Blade P & A w/Matrix 55 gram M shaft, 56* SCOR V sole w/Genius 9 graphite shaft, Cleveland 60* w/steel Stiff shaft.
Putter:   SeeMore X2 custom

Balls: Snell

Precision Pro Golf Band Part 2

I'd like to again thank Precision Pro and My Golf Spy for the opportunity to test the GPS Golf Band.   The timing was great, as this year I have played more golf than any year in the past, and my new home course is a course that has plenty of blind shots and not everything is laid out in front of you.

So the fact that a GPS device can give you distances to greens and hazards you can't see is pretty handy information to have.

I'll begin by saying up front, I was very impressed with the GPS Golf Band.  I found it did the essentials very effectively and easily.  There were not a lot of areas I found it lacking

In Stage 1, I showed the basics of the packaging and size.   In Stage Two I'll share some on course data and pics.

Performance

To begin with I wanted to show firsthand how it is at finding the course you are playing.   The following video will show it performs pretty well in this regard.  It may not be the fastest of any GPS I've used in locating a course, but it certainly wasn't an unreasonable amount of time.   I think if you turn it on as you are leaving the putting green, driving range or wherever you are warming up, it will find the course by the time you reach the first tee.  Or, if you are at a course where the starter typically gives a spiel on the course and rules of the day, by the time he's finished it will be good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fIfcQjjwAI

So you can see it took less than two minutes to find and lock on the course.   You also will notice that in the video, I was on the 8th hole, and it defaulted to the 1st hole.  It took me only a quick couple pushes of the toggle button to get to hole number 8.

This feature is huge to me as I play in a good number of scrambles and rarely start on the first hole, it performed about as well as any GPS I have used in toggling to the correct hole.

Ok, to the meat of the product.   How accurate is it.  You can see by the above video that it pretty much within a yard or two on a 590 yard distance.  That's pretty good, I'd say.

On that note of display, I really like how easy the display is to read.  No glare, and the numbers are easy to see, even for this nearsighted old guy. 

Even on the holes where it is showing all three distances (front, middle, back) I found them all very easy to see.

I have been using the Garmin X40 Approach.  It's one of the combined GPS/Fitness devices that are so prevalent these days.   I have been very happy with it and like anything it has its strong and weak points.   So in most every comparison pic you will see it alongside the Garmin.

The next picture shows both GPS's compared to an in ground fairway marker.  This is where I began to notice a bit of a discrepancy between the Garmin and Golf Band.  

As you can see the Golf Band is showing 141 from the 150 marker and the Garmin showing 155 to the middle of the green.  This is a bit too much of a difference for my liking.  While I'm not a low single digit golfer that needs to know the exact distance, I would like to know that the distance showing is generally going to make me pull the correct club. 

Based on this example, if I were to go by the course marker and aiming for the center of the green I would have pulled a 6 iron.   Based on the Garmin I would have hit my 5 hybrid (155 to 160 club) and based on the Golf Band, I would have pulled a 7 iron.  So that's a two club swing, which is a lot for anyone of any level.

The people at Precision Pro  have explained that there are two major satellites used for GPS mapping.   Quite frankly the descriptions and differences of them, were way above my paygrade.   But the end result is they are very likely to come up with two different measurements depending on which satellite a GPS is reading.    

In this case, I happened to have a laser range finder with me to settle the dispute.   On this hole the flag was back center which according to the Golf Band should be close to 176 and with the Garmin it should be close to 166.   So naturally the flag shot at 158.    So I hit the 5 hybrid, and was just off to the green on the left hand side.  If I had gone with Golf Band distance, and hitting the 6 iron to that back pin, I would have been about 10 yards short, which I can certainly live with on a green. However, I'd be in the greenside bunker, if I came up left like I did with the 6 iron. 

I used the GPS Golf Band for two rounds at Pinehurst resort a couple weeks ago.   The first round was limited to cart path only due to heavy rain the night before, so having the convenience of the GPS on my wrist as I went to the shot was really important.  One thing I dislike about lasers and hand held GPS on cart path only, is you have to lay them down on the ground while you hit.  I've never lost one doing this, but I know friends that have, and it's just something you don't have to worry about with the GPS Band.

The second round at Pinehurst was on the US Open Course No.2.  We walked and had a caddie for this round.  Here's where it got a true test, the caddie pretty much lasered each shot and I checked the GPS Golf Band on each one.   The entire round it was within 0 to 3 yards to what the caddie had. 

There was one pretty big hiccup with the Precision Pro at Pinehurst.  During both rounds, it had trouble locating the course.  By trouble I mean it didn't locate the correct course until probably 4 or 5 holes into each round.   Pinehurst has 5 courses onsite at the main clubhouse.  It was finding 3 of the 5 but not the two courses  I was playing, and it even was finding one that was about 1 mile away. 

I had to continually shut it down and restart the search until it finally found No. 4 on the first day and No. 2 on the second day. 

For me the distance measuring to the green is 90% of why I use this.  Other features included

·         Distance to Hazards-It measures distances to and to carry bunkers and water, this was somewhat helpful, but not a feature I relied on a lot.  In my case, I can usually tell visually if I can carry a hazard or not.

·         Shot measuring capability-This is pretty nice and most GPS products offer it.  It was easy to use to hit one button after your tee shot and it would continuously count the yardage as you approached your ball.  It's kind of neat in that you can measure multiple balls on the same shot, say yours was 280 yards off the tee and you see your buddies well behind you, as you drive by his ball you can the distance of his shot and tell him he's 50 yards behind you.  (note, the roles may or may not have been reversed in this example J)

·         Tee-Time Feature, you have the capability of setting an alarm type feature of a tee time you already have booked next week and when the date and time arrives, it will turn on and start searching for the course.   I guess this is neat, but not a feature I would ever use.

·         Run/walk totals, give you distance you walked during a round.  So even if you are in a cart, it measure the steps you take to and from your shots during a round.   This is nice to see, to prove to your wife golf IS exercise!!

·         Time, it also shows you the elapsed time of your round.  Again, kind of neat to see and reference, and while I did glance at it at the end of each round, it was really nothing more than a footnote.

Note on the battery life.  The GPS Golf Band really shined in this aspect, I was able to get two full rounds out of a single charge, and probably a bit more. 

Miscellaneous notes:

·      

The band is rubber and you fasten it by matching up two small metal prongs into a matching hole.  One prong is on the outer side and one on the inner side of the band.  I found it much easier to put on than the Garmin X40, as it has a rubber style band as well, but has a typical watch clasp fastener that the band is a bit floppy in trying to maneuver through the clasp hole.

·        

The charging adapter is a bit challenging to attach the first time, the directions weren't real clear at least in my mind.  It took a good 10 minutes to figure it out the first time, after that it attaches pretty easily, however be sure to make sure it is fastened all the way.  One time I thought it was only to find out the next morning it wasn't clasped tightly and didn't charge.  But beyond this it performed admirably. 

Performance Score 55 out of 65-I deducted points for the yardage discrepancy on some of the holes and most points for not being able to locate the two courses at Pinehurst.   They are mapped as I was able to eventually locate them, but it was disappointing to not be able to use it for all 18 holes in both rounds.

Looks and Durability

I had seen pictures of the unit prior to the testing, and to be honest, I thought it seemed large and clunky from the pictures.  But that is not the case at all.  As you can tell it's really no larger than the Garmin X40 in overall size,  which is about the size of most FitBit style devices. 

I found the GPS Golf Band to be very light and comfortable.  Comfort was a nonfactor during play.  It is very durable and appears to have a solid construction.

The only nit-picking I would make here, is the Precision Pro logo takes up a good amount of space on the screen.  It seems this space might be better used for displaying some of the data or functions. 

Looks and Durability Score 9 out of 10, not much to complain about here other than the mentioned logo.

Likelihood of Purchase Score 23 out of 25  At $179 I think it is priced very compatibly against most comparable GPS units, and much less than the multifunction Garmin devices.   I'm definitely sold now on the wrist band style GPS, while the 3 and 5 inch screens are nice on the hand held units, the compatibility and convenience of the Golf Band make it a clear choice for me.

Summary Score (87 out of 100)

I was very pleased and surprised by everything about the Precision Pro Golf Band.  It looked better than I thought it would, it located the courses easily (with the exception I mentioned at Pinehurst) and I feel I have to mention again how to me the ease of moving from hole to hole is such a huge bonus.  It is probably one of those features you don't appreciate how easy it is until you need it.   Then you are very grateful.

I think it's a very good product and the corporate team at Precision Pro is very responsive to user questions and feedback, and I'm sure while this model is in the top of the class in my opinion, they will continue to improve it going forward.

Great stuff so far Rob. Interested to see how the accuracy compares to the Garmin

Early testing shows them very close, with an occasional odd disparity. For the next stage, I'll have the two GPS compared and a laser to settle verify any differences.

Does the precision pro manual state the acceptable range (ie +/- 2 yards)?

I actually have the quick start manual that came with it at the office (I'm home today) but the information that Precision Pro provided us in an email is that the range can be from +/- 2 to 8 yards on any GPS device to the actual yardage based on course mapping and weather conditions.

That said, I have found it to be much closer to the the 0-3 yards range (compared to course markings) in some very limited on course testing so far. 

attachicon.gif0815161836_resized.jpg

I was honored to be selected by Precision Pro and MGS to perform a test on the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band. I'm starting the initial review with a picture of the package that arrived at my house because beyond a doubt the service provided by the folks at Precision Pro was off the charts. Those who have been involved in product tests will be amazed to learn that we received our devices around a week after being selected as testers!

A bit about myself as a person and a player:

I'm a veteran member of the MGS forums who has done numerous tests in the past. The screen name and badge are for real, I am a Lutheran Minister, the Senior Pastor of a nice sized congregation with a Day School through the 8th grade. As the Senior Pastor I'm the supervisor of a staff of 50 plus people. I'm also married with four children one of whom still lives at home. We currently have an adult child and his family living with us as he transitions from the Navy to civilian life. All of this is important because it means that my life is hectic and like many I don't have as much time to play golf as I would like. So when I do I like things simple, easy to use, stow and go with no fooling around.

Remarkably I'm a fairly good player for someone with so much going on, 3.9 index. I'm 59 so I don't get the ball out there as far as I once did but I thrive on consistency, accuracy and a solid short game. Yardage information is extremely important to me because I need to think my way around the course and at my handicap a stroke here or there is crucial.

I have used GPS technology in the past (Golf Buddy and Bushnell GPS watch). The issue with the GPS unit was forgetting it from time to time and actually there was a hole on the course that I played most frequently were the unit was not accurate. I found the watch too cumbersome and gave up on it rather quickly.

For the past three seasons I have used a Bushnell range finder which is accurate and easy to use. However it does not give me the front/middle or middle/back yardages which I prefer and it is sometimes hard to find yardages to key hazards and lay up points.

If it were simple to use, a wrist band so that I couldn't loose it and light I would prefer a GPS to the range finder. Enter the test opportunity!

When I opened the box pictured above here's what I found:

attachicon.gif0815161841_resized.jpg

There are four simple pieces, a band, a charger, a cleaning tool and an instruction sheet all smaller than the size of a fist. The instruction sheet is extremely simple to follow and in short order my band was out, charged and ready to go.

attachicon.gif0815161842a_resized.jpg

I realize that folks have different perceptions about "religious" people and particularly Christians. We do come in all shapes and sizes. Lutherans believe that God made the world to be enjoyed so that all things are good when used properly and in moderation. It's in that spirit that I'm heading to the course and raising a glass to MGS, Precision Pro and the Forum Community. Precision Pro touts itself as being thinner, lighter and more wearable than the leading GPS band, let's test it out and see, so until Stage 2, cheers:

attachicon.gif0814161708_resized.jpg

Nice intro and initial thoughts Rev.

From one Lutheran to another, That's one heck of a glass, rev...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

From one Lutheran to another, That's one heck of a glass, rev...

I have some nice sugar daddies and sugar mommies in my congregation. :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

i got another round in with this on Saturday at a course i hadn't played in a while.  I'll save the comprehensive thoughts for Stage 2.   But it didn't disappoint and it was a very enjoyable round with it.   Feel free to ask any questions.  

• 1 month later...

3 of the 4 Stage 1's are up -- Stage 2's coming soon

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I used this on a trip to Pinehurst last week.  I was waiting to do my stage two to test it on some out of state unfamilar courses.  overall i was very pleased with the end results, one big hiccup in my mind that I'll touch on int he stage two review, but it had difficulty in locating the course i was playing that day, keep in mind there are litteraly 5 courses on site at Pinehurst then 3 more a couple miles away.

But once we synced up it was more great results, this time I had it compared to a walking caddie....LOL   But I don't want to steal all the stage two thunder.   More to Come.

Well that was yucky timing!  My Stage 2 review is up though so I figured that I would give this a bump to see if there were any interest.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Very nice reviews gents, I am not a gps wearer and don't like anything on my wrist during play, but this gps definitely has me intrigued. If anything, I could strap it around my pants belt loop or to my golf bag. Looked very simple to operate, nice features, although the loading time seemed long. Thank you for your informative reviews

Sent from my sizzling Samsung Galaxy Note 7

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

More reviews are up -- unfortunately RodeoCody has decided to disappear (public shaming for taking the product and running may become the norm!).

Excellent work so far guys!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Very nice reviews gents, I am not a gps wearer and don't like anything on my wrist during play, but this gps definitely has me intrigued. If anything, I could strap it around my pants belt loop or to my golf bag. Looked very simple to operate, nice features, although the loading time seemed long. Thank you for your informative reviews

Sent from my sizzling Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Funny you mention tying it around the bag.  I did exactly that for part of one round.   But I was freaked out by the thought of it falling off and not knowing, and having to explain to MGS and Precision Pro how it was lost....LOL    

I can only imagine the response, that's why it's a wrist band and not a bag band..ha    But in all honesty, it was securely fastened and showed no danger of falling off, just my paranoia that the worst possible things usually happen to me  :o

But I will say again, as I will say in my Stage 2, having it on my wrist is no issue at all from a comfort or swing wise standpoint. t

My stage two is up, but a few spaces down from where it was reserved from, as I somehow messed up the formatting of that box and it wouldn't let me insert pictures. 

Keep them coming Guys!  We want to see all the results......So far pretty good stuff.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Back @ 808 and concurring with Carolina Golfer the band is almost imperceptible.  I have never worn a watch in my life (even when we didn't have cell phones or other such devices).  When I taught music lessons I would carry a watch and set it in my trumpet case to keep track of time.  I don't like stuff on my wrist.

You might be very surprised at how comfortable this band is if you were to try it.

You guys put me to shame with your pictures.  I'm definitely going back to having help the next time I'm fortunate enough to be selected for a review. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Back @ 808 and concurring with Carolina Golfer the band is almost imperceptible.  I have never worn a watch in my life (even when we didn't have cell phones or other such devices).  When I taught music lessons I would carry a watch and set it in my trumpet case to keep track of time.  I don't like stuff on my wrist.

You might be very surprised at how comfortable this band is if you were to try it.

You guys put me to shame with your pictures.  I'm definitely going back to having help the next time I'm fortunate enough to be selected for a review.

The comfort can't be stated enough. Even the rounds I was wearing two of them, it was barely noticeable.

As for the pics. I think we all found out it can be challenging taking a one handed picture of the other hand and trying to stay focused and in frame. I probalbly should have asked one of my playing partners to act as the hand model. But I might not have gotten the Golf Band back.

It was a struggle or me to get them loaded Rev. I had taken a bunch on one phone then some on my new one that had to be factory reset after a couple weeks. So I was fortunate they were on the Google Photos server. Just figuring out how to get them from there to the tjread was challenging. Then thrown in a switch in laptops during the process. Ha

Exactly on the pics. I Wil just get one of my former students to do it. She's now a teacher at our school. She's taken pics for many of my reviews. She's quite good. Its just that this one required being on the course. I suppose she would do that if I let her drive the course. Her Dad died a few years back and she and her mom have become a huge part of our family.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived