Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Looking for an inexpensive quality putter

esqueleto3

Hello Im a beginner and I currently have a strata putter, but i am looking for a better putter. The max I'd be willing to spend is $100 I don't mind buying a used one in good shape.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You can find some great used putters in a number of places.

Would you say you prefer a soft feel with you putter (something with an insert or a more firm feel of a putter with a milled face).

Your best path forward would be totally go to your local golf store and try a bunch of putters and see which you like best in terms of, looks, feel and performance.

Once you have an idea of what you like report back here and we can help you find a more economical version of what you like!

Welcome to the forums!  Glad you joined us.

Putters are very personal, probably more so than any other club in the bag because it is a "feel" club.  What feels good to me likely doesn't feel good to you.  I agree with jlukes; if you can go to a large golf store, spend an hour rolling balls on their practice area.  Pick out a couple that particularly feel good.  Then, walk away and come back another day.  Try those same few putters again, and add a few more.  Likely, you will decide which one feels the best.

Putters will come in different lengths; standard seems to be 34-35 inches.  However, I have found that most putters tend to be too long for the average golfer.  Your golf store should have an adjustable length putter for determining your proper length; I think Ping has one.

When you do this test, you will likely determine if blade or mallet head putters are better for you.  Mallet head putters seem to be better for a straight back - straight through stroke, but some blade heads are good too.  If you have an arc type stroke, then typically a blade head with some "toe droop" will work better.  You might find some good deals in their used putter bin.  I did.  Just because some putters are expensive doesn't make them better.  All manufacturers make good putters; it's just a matter of finding the one that fits your eye and stroke.  

If you haven't checked out the MGS blog yet, 

http://www.mygolfspy.com/2016-most-wanted-blade-putter/

http://www.mygolfspy.com/2016-most-wanted-mallet-putter/

Good luck!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

According to Ping, there are three types of putters......Straight back straght thru, partial arc and full arc.......to find out more try their website.....

Once you know how you putt naturally, then you can look for the right putter......Blade, Mid Mallet or Full Mallet.

http://ping.com/apps/iping.aspx

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Good advice by all above.

If after testing you find you like the Odyssey versa 7 style. Let me ml know as I have one thst I'd sell for less than the max you mentioned.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Cleveland Classic are a really inexpensive milled face putter, my friend has one and loves it......they can be found used for 40-60 bucks

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Yes! putters

Have like 6 of them

Great feel and easily found under $100

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Might be a good idea to also look at the "Most wanted" tests of prior years, the Taylormade Daytona blade can be had pretty cheap these days i imagine.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

With exception to Cameron, Betti, Byron Morgan, Machine, Gauge and other $$$ putters; once you find the feel and shape you prefer you shouldn't have any issue finding any putter you like in the classified ads or the bay under your price point.  Never go wrong with Odyssey or Ping putters for that price range.  FWIW, I just read an article last week stating out of the tour's top 13 putters, all but Phil putt with mallet style putters.   Ping Ketsch is point and shoot

WITB:

G LS Tec 10.5 Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
G Stretch Kuro Kage TiNi 70x
07' Burner TP Tour Issue 18* Ozik 8M2
Anser 20* Attas 80Hy Prototype
iBlade 4-PW PX 6.0
Glide 50* SS and 58* ES zz65
Cameron Newport Select 35 inch "murdered out"
Ping 4 Series White

With exception to Cameron, Betti, Byron Morgan, Machine, Gauge and other $$$ putters; once you find the feel and shape you prefer you shouldn't have any issue finding any putter you like in the classified ads or the bay under your price point.  Never go wrong with Odyssey or Ping putters for that price range.  FWIW, I just read an article last week stating out of the tour's top 13 putters, all but Phil putt with mallet style putters.   Ping Ketsch is point and shoot

MOI is where it is at with putters these days...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Hello Im a beginner and I currently have a strata putter, but i am looking for a better putter. The max I'd be willing to spend is $100 I don't mind buying a used one in good shape.

Any suggestions?

Agree with suggestions to go to "the shop" and try a bunch. Once one fits your eye & ear, then start looking for a deal. If you decide on an Odyssey, look on CallawayPreOwned.com. They have LOTS of Odyssey putters at great prices.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Putters are very personal things so I wouldn't begin to recommend a particular brand.  I will make this recommendation.  Go to any golf retailer and hit their bargain putter basket and try putters until you find one that fits your eye.  Play with it for a while and as you improve go for a putter fitting that will take what you have, feel comfortable and confident with and tweak it. 

I paid under $60 for my putter 10 years ago.  It's been through one such revision.  It's not coming out of my bag anytime soon.  I've made lots of putts with it and I know that when I miss it's me, not the putter.  There was actually a time when I won a $400 Bettinardi through MGS.  It was a beautiful putter but it couldn't touch my Vodoo Daddy so it fetched a very nice price at our school auction one year - $350 for the putter play a putting lesson from the Rev himself. The guy who won it is an FBI agent.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I recently used MGS's most wanted blade putter post (I don't know why, but I just feel more confident looking down at a blade -- Good chance I'm just crazy and will eventually try mallets more seriously) to narrow down some options and I eventually bought the Odyssey White Hot RX 1.

All previous advice seems to be right on. Go try some stuff out. Read a little about it and then choose the one that you feel gives you the best bang for your buck. I would keep an eye out in the MGS classifieds and sites like secondswing. Turns out that if you are careful (and patient) then you can find some pretty reasonable deals.

Good luck!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Mini

Hybrids: Adams Tight Lie (3)

Irons: 5-A Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 (56/60)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX 1

I seriously think you should consider this option

https://www.mggolf.com/putters/?v=

milled steel is milled steel, and the anser style has been around so long it will work. You can putt with anything if you have a repeatable stroke and confidence.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

If you feel up to a little legwork, check thrift stores. I still often game an older - but really nice - Odyssey blade I found for $8. I also found a set of Hogan Radials (for our vintage day) for $35.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

so I've done a crap ton of investigation and found 2 classics that people seem to rave about:

- Yes! Callie/Tracy (depends on how you like the shaft bend) ORIGINAL (apparently the new ones are crap)  

Ppl seem to really rave about the C grooves and how the get the ball moving quickly and it stays on line

- Rife iconic/bermuda 

Like the grooves on the Yes! Ppl seem to like the horizontal grooves on these.

Anyone ever try either of these?

Apparently some of the guys that have the Yes models gave up their Scotty's after using them...

Particularly interested in these.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I have about 5-6 Yes! putters...

Currently have the Tracy in play and love it. This one is face balanced as opposed to the Callie.

And yes, stick with the older models. The new ones with the huge yellow crap fugly.

Hard to find in good condition here in Europe, but plenty in the US.

Ann and Jenny are also good options.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I have about 5-6 Yes! putters...

Currently have the Tracy in play and love it. This one is face balanced as opposed to the Callie.

And yes, stick with the older models. The new ones with the huge yellow crap fugly.

Hard to find in good condition here in Europe, but plenty in the US.

Ann and Jenny are also good options.

Thanks!  I'll take a look at Ann and Jenny also.  Appreciate the feedback!!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Thanks!  I'll take a look at Ann and Jenny also.  Appreciate the feedback!!

The truth is, I don't know what the difference is between Callie and Ann... I have both, but they are very similar. I read somewhere the material was different. But they are the traditional Anser style, toe-weighted putters.

Tracy is face balanced one with S shaped shaft and the Jenny has a flare neck with an insert behind the C grooves that makes it a little more muted/softer.

There are a few options available. One, save a little bit more money and take a look in the swap shop on www.puttertalk.com. There are some incredible deals there on very nice putters (boutique). Or speak here with GolfspyDave as he has some Odyssey putters around your price point for sale there.

where can I find the classifieds on puttertalk?

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

esqueleto3, let us know what you come away with.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Archived