Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

The Trip Of A Lifetime... Inspired By MyGolfSpy.

Sschaffer24

Hello all!

First off, man does it feel weird see the "GolfSpy" in front of my name. It's an awesome place to be and I hope to be able to deliver on the same level of excellence the other Spies have brought to the table. What a great place to be a part of!

I have something that I want to talk about with everyone that's been brewing in my mind for a long time. Back in the day when I was a lurker around here I came across this post from Golfspy MBP that really captivated me. It was the story of him and his wife visiting the Modern Golf Vancouver location for a run through their full fitting system.

Being brand new to the world of custom fitting at this point and never having one done myself it just blew me away the amount of detail and not only that, but the impressive gains that they both (especially Nadine) experienced from having a thorough fitting performed.

Immediately a dream was born.

I can't tell you how may times over the years I've revisited that post, hopped over to the Modern Golf website (to be blown away) and tried to talk myself into a way to justify the trip. How could I?

See here's what's against me and what I would guess is against a lot of us.

• I didn't have a passport.
  • I have to find a way to justify the travel/expenses.
  • The fitting itself is $400 CAD!
  • I have a trusted fitter in my area.
  • I have new clubs that I really like and enjoy.
  • I have to talk my girlfriend into this.

Well guys... As the saying goes "where there's a will, there's a way" and I'm on my way to Toronto, Canada tomorrow morning for two beautiful rounds of golf, a full bag fitting for my girlfriend and myself and a stay at one of the nicest hotels in the city. This is going to be a blast.

We are celebrating our anniversary by getting these fittings for each other and I plan on providing a behind the scenes look at what something like this has to offer each and every one of us. You'll see this not only from my perspective, that of a Spy, but also from the perspective of the relative newcomer to the game.

Will the fitting prove as successful for each of us? Will it show bigger improvement for one of us over the other? Will that favor the more experienced and advanced golfer than the novice, or will it go the other way? What is the system like?

Ultimately I'm trying to answer one question for myself and all of you, is it worth it? That is the first thing that everyone reading this is going to ask themselves and some may come to a conclusion before they see the results. I'm going to ask everyone in the community to reserve judgment on that question for a little while. Mull it over, talk about it, but let's see what they can do and find out if this is the magical trip of a lifetime that every golfer should make or if sticking with the guy at the big box store or your local shop is worth sticking with.

I'm betting heavily one way, but let's see how this shakes out!

That being said guys here's where I want all of you to be involved! Let's get some Q&A going for me to take with me to Modern Golf. I want to sit down with one of their employees and get some answers for you guys! So fire away!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Sounds like an awesome experience.

Some questions I would ask the fitter are:

What are some of the biggest challenges they have when fitting someone?

How often do their customers talk themselves out of what the data is showing and into something else?

How does one go about fitting someone with an extremely inconsistent swing?

Cool stuff.  I'll admit I haven not heard of this company, and I consider myself a fairly informed golf consumer. It 

all sounds fantastic.

I have two questions and I guess they are bookend questions..ha

What is your biggest question of yourself going in?

Afterward, what surprised you the most about the whole process. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Way to go Shawn, er, I mean Golfspy Shawn....Be sure and document the fitting experience with plenty of pix.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Since you have settled in with the Hogan irons, I wonder if the fitter will want to adjust the Lie....and what abou the shaft?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Well here are some starter comments I can provide for you guys and also I can answer some of the questions for you on my own here. I like the discussion though!

From what I can tell they do a few things to start the process. The first of which is doing a blueprint of your current set. This gives them a template for what you currently game.

From there though what I've gathered is that they will present you with an extremely flexible fitting process. You can try any head and shaft combination imaginable. They are completely brand agnostic as well, so their approach will be specifically for what fits the player the best and not what offers the best incentive for the store.

They also do all custom work, and build at their site. Everything is ordered in and hand built by their master build team. Which is pretty cool.

Pictures will of course be taken! I plan on really giving people a great idea of what this place has to offer.

Carolina, that's a great question. Honestly it's distance. The biggest thing killing my game right now is getting to the green in regulation consistently. I need both a lower spinning driver so I can pick up distance there and also a more forgiving iron that will get me some more carry yardage but still stop on the other side.

Here's the catch though. Offset and big heads don't work well with me. So a GI iron won't take me where I need to be because they don't inspire confidence. I'm really curious to see their solution.

Keep firing away guys! I plan on documenting all of these questions and creating some follow up posts...

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Oh, Here's a link for everyone to check out: http://moderngolf.ca/

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Well here are some starter comments I can provide for you guys and also I can answer some of the questions for you on my own here. I like the discussion though!

From what I can tell they do a few things to start the process. The first of which is doing a blueprint of your current set. This gives them a template for what you currently game.

From there though what I've gathered is that they will present you with an extremely flexible fitting process. You can try any head and shaft combination imaginable. They are completely brand agnostic as well, so their approach will be specifically for what fits the player the best and not what offers the best incentive for the store.

They also do all custom work, and build at their site. Everything is ordered in and hand built by their master build team. Which is pretty cool.

Pictures will of course be taken! I plan on really giving people a great idea of what this place has to offer.

Carolina, that's a great question. Honestly it's distance. The biggest thing killing my game right now is getting to the green in regulation consistently. I need both a lower spinning driver so I can pick up distance there and also a more forgiving iron that will get me some more carry yardage but still stop on the other side.

Here's the catch though. Offset and big heads don't work well with me. So a GI iron won't take me where I need to be because they don't inspire confidence. I'm really curious to see their solution.

Keep firing away guys! I plan on documenting all of these questions and creating some follow up posts...

Great thanks.  From the description, it sounds a lot like Club Champion..which in my mind is a good thing, and has a location here in the DC area.

I"m really looking forward to following along 

Sounds like a great anniversary! Congrats and have fun!

Will the fitting be done both indoor and outdoor or only indoor? If they only do indoor, would they prefer to have an outdoor part as well (but are constrained by finances/land/etc...), or do they do indoor because it isolates more of the variables?

I recently did one that was all indoor and I'm very happy with my results, but it seems like some people like to hit new clubs outdoors before making decisions.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Mini

Hybrids: Adams Tight Lie (3)

Irons: 5-A Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 (56/60)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX 1

I e never has any sort of fitting. Always what fits the eye and then how it feels. I'm curious to know what criteria they use to make recommendations and which ones they weight more heavily than others in irons and wedges. In other words is it about distance, deviation, how much spin is not enough versus too much. heads or shafts first?

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Congratulations GolfSpy Shawn, sounds like you will have one heck of a time. Of course for me, distance is king...how do I get more distance out of my fitting process. Also, do expensive shafts make a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Well guys it's about time to roll out! My fitting is 9AM tomorrow so I'll compile all of what's here to take with me and ask my fitter after we are done! Feel free to drop any additional questions you guys have here and I will do my best to get then answered.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Gratz! When you look at at the expenses as a honeymoon/vacation, it doesn't hurt that much :lol:

Have fun and let us know!

Dang... is it CAD 400 per person???  :blink:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

Have a great time Shawn. Remember to be an engaged participant as well as a reporter :)

Have a blast and I hope the results are fantastic on all counts.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Congratulations GolfSpy Shawn, sounds like you will have one heck of a time. Of course for me, distance is king...how do I get more distance out of my fitting process. Also, do expensive shafts make a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In this same vein, not necessarily with regard to "expensive" shafts, I'm curious what their thoughts are on what is truly more important: the club head or the shaft? More specifically, could a player utilize a club head (driver or iron) that is a couple years old, but with the proper shaft, improve performance dramatically? So, do I need a new driver head, or just a shaft upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Gratz! When you look at at the expenses as a honeymoon/vacation, it doesn't hurt that much :lol:

Have fun and let us know!

Dang... is it CAD 400 per person??? :blink:

Thanks man. And that's exactly why we planned it this way! Have to justify the cost somehow! Haha.

Yeah, $400 CAD per person. Should be worth it though. We will find out in the morning. Can't wait to report back to everyone!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Every USD is worth $1.30 CAD so your dollar will go a little farther. But wait for the sticker shock of 14% sales tax + 8% bar tax on any alcohol. Price we pay (I used to pay) for good schools and healthcare.

Mid west is a lot like Canada (Ontario anyway)

Have fun. This sounds like an awesome trip. Looking forward to your report.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Every USD is worth $1.30 CAD so your dollar will go a little farther. But wait for the sticker shock of 14% sales tax + 8% bar tax on any alcohol. Price we pay (I used to pay) for good schools and healthcare.

Mid west is a lot like Canada (Ontario anyway)

Have fun. This sounds like an awesome trip. Looking forward to your report.

Oh, we are used to 19% tax over here :lol:

That's what makes purchasing golf gear from the US not worth it... whatever comes in, they slap 19% on it and about 3% duties for golf equipment.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Guys, quick update. The trip was a great experience for me. But I'm not going to spoil anything for you guys. Back in the States and going to get this post ready to rock as soon as I can. Can't wait to share what I have with you all!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Looking forward to hearing about it Shawn.  Don't rush, we want to hear every little detail :)

Can't wait to read about it!

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, how'd I miss this thread? Any who, hope it was a blast and looking forward to the write up!

Congrats on joining the MGS team!

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Thanks Casey! 

The post is being worked on as we speak, hopefully it'll be up sooner rather than later!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Hurry Up Shawn...  :lol:

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

Modern Golf - Part One

One of my favorite things to do at various stages of my life has been to just sit back, relax and reflect on where life has taken me. It's an interesting idea. We are so focused on living our lives looking forward, planning the next move, or in the simplest context simply focusing on the here and now. But when we stop, reflect and truly look at ourselves for who we are, there are some questions you ask yourself. Such as:

What makes me who I am?

Here's how this applies. A huge part of who I am is built around this sport, and really, this site. I found my career on the golf course. I've been a part of MyGolfSpy both as a member, reader and follower for so long that the mindset has literally burrowed into me. I live my life #datacritic.

Naturally my bucket list is inspired by this place, all of the things I've seen, read, thought about, tried and so on. The amount of influence this site and the people here have had on my life can't be overstated. Let's think about this in broader terms. I have a figurative roadmap for how to live my life that's at least 50% golf related. Most of that is from you guys and I won't get that time back. Talk about an effect.

If we don't stop and reflect every once in awhile we will never put the proper value on the things we love. This experience is a perfect example of that. Modern Golf never happens without MyGolfSpy and specifically GolfSpy MBP.

I've kept you all waiting long enough. Here's the story... Inspired by MyGolfSpy.

I've had fittings before. I've had fittings at Golf Galaxy in Pittsburgh, more at Blair County Golf in Hollidaysburg, I've done Hoganfit, had wedge fittings, putter fittings, driver fittings... A lot of fittings. Some better than others, and yet every one of them has left a taste in my mouth, more of a question, can this be done better?

See, I want a fitting to be like a science experiment. I need something that will eliminate any and all doubt from my mind. There should be variables, controls, and... data! I want the data to backup my decision and to let me decide what I prefer the look and feel of. As much as I loved my Hogan's I was never professionally fit for them. I used their program, liked them, gamed them for a year and was really a brand ambassador for them. But it was never perfect.

I still couldn't shake this idea. There had to be something more... More precise than what I've experienced in the past.This is where Modern Golf comes in. The story goes like this. Years ago while browsing the forum I came across a thread. The place it focused on… Just looked like a mecca. I've dreamed, wished, planned and killed probably over 1,000 plans for visiting. It's always been about the money. Plus, it's in Canada. I didn't have a passport and really felt that going international for a set of clubs was a little… ridiculous?

Nonetheless, Modern Golf hit my bucket list. This year Becca and I celebrated five years together and we wanted to do something special. Her and I enjoy golfing together very much and this was a wonderful opportunity to cross something off the bucket list. After a few days of planning, it was official, Modern Golf was booked.

Fast forward three months and here we are. After travelling all morning Friday and enjoying the beautiful Piper's Heath Golf Club in the evening, I'm sitting in the parking lot of Modern Golf Saturday morning ten minutes before they open. After talking for a few minutes and a few deep breaths it's time for business.

Here we go.

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

Modern Golf has a process for their customers. Not only are they appointment only to create a more personal experience, they treat you like part of their family as soon as you walk through the door. It started with meeting Jessica at the front desk. Smiling and welcoming us to the store, she walks us back to meet the crew. Justin (my fitter), Mikey (club builder) and John (Becca's fitter) are all getting their morning started and happily introduce themselves to us. As we all start to talk, Justin gets to work with step one of the process. Modern Golf has broken the experience down into four key segments. They go as follows: the Blueprint, the Fitting, the Prescription and Fulfillment. The key to each of these is that they are executed with laser-like precision. Every detail is monitored, weighed and calculated. They're chasing something I've been looking for in a fitting for years... Perfection.

The Blueprint

Here's the idea. In order to accurately diagnose your needs they have to first see what you're working with coming through the door. The typical interview process with a fitting largely takes place here. What's beautiful is that it's done in such an unassuming and laid back manner, you're never on guard or over-analyze a response. It's all real and in a comfortable setting.

IMG_1111.JPG

One by one each club is measured, all digitally of course. Length, lie, loft, frequency, swing weight, grip size, etc. Each one is measured and entered into a spreadsheet. Justin makes some really interesting discoveries. My driver? It's a 9.5 degree head turned down to 8.6. It was digitally lofted at 10.5 degrees. My irons not only were inconsistent in length, the swingweight moved 3-4 points from club to club. Walking into this building I've always fought inconsistency and the huge variance in my specs went a long way in explaining why very early on.

Having been there for less than an hour, I've already made some huge discoveries. He's done with the bag at this point, so we're ready for step two.

The Fitting

This one is pretty self explanatory, at least the theory. The practice is a whole lot different than what I'm used to as you're about to find out. Justin hands me my 30 degree Hogan and asks me to warm up. This is the closest to a 6 iron that I have in my set and he wants to establish a baseline to fit from. Needless to say, I shanked quite a few golf balls. Imagine a nervous golfer, low on confidence, trying to perform in a place they've dreamed about for years! Thirty minutes into my fitting, I'm still hitting the ball terribly. Justin never gets frustrated and every so often leaves the room to grab some clubheads/shafts for my fitting.

Eventually, after a number of terrible shots in a row, he asks for my club and excuses himself. He comes back in with a roll of lead tape and puts four pieces on the bottom of the club. He hands it back to me and wow… What an immediate difference! Suddenly I could find the club face! My strike improved, I focused, put ten good swings on the ball and got my confidence back! Now we're in business.

Justin stops me and explains exactly where we stand. He points out that the C-Taper is basically the exact opposite shaft of what I need. I was stunned. I love the C-Taper, it felt so good to me! I was a little confused, but open minded.

IMG_4956.JPG

Let's stop and walk through this together. Right now is where the fitter becomes key. My numbers were showing a massively left club path with an open face at impact. To the untrained eye someone would assume that's an over the top action that causes my ball flight. Here's what Justin explained to me:

From the kick point of the C-Taper being so high in the handle, the only way for me to get the face on the ball, at the target, and deliver that on a consistent basis is to pull the shaft completely across my body. In other words, way left. On the other hand, with something where the kick point is at the tip of the shaft it would allow my body to have a more natural release and thus a straighter club path. This should equal more distance and a more consistent strike.

IMG_4930.JPG

I need to take a step back and explain one of the keys that Justin and I spoke about. When I first walked into the bay he explained to me that he can see all of the connections to be made from the ball data. What he can't know from the data is how something feels or how it looks to me. He explains that this is just as important as the data on the screen. We as golfers are fickle people and we have to have complete and total confidence in what we are gaming. This was crucial for me to keep in mind during my experience.

At no point was this a launch monitor data session. He used the data as leverage to make a point and a decision. My only job was to express my thoughts of the club put into my hands. That is an incredibly freeing idea because chasing numbers can be quite easy to do.

Back to the story.

At this point, I'm warmed up and ready to test some irons. He grabs multiple heads from companies such as Epon, Titleist, Callaway, PXG, Ping, Taylormade and so on. I have to give a disclaimer here. While I was trying to be open minded going into this fitting, I was secretly hoping to walk out with PXG. I just love the brand.

Basically the fitting works like this. Justin hands me a head and shaft combo, he asks me some questions such as How does it look? How does it feel? and so on as I'm hitting balls. If I don't like something he says good enough and immediately moves to the next thing.

What's amazing about the process is that everything is interchangeable. There are virtually no limitations. The system that they've developed is so well thought out that the weight and frequency of the exact shaft that you're hitting is measured. Once you decide on a combination, those measurements are used to build the set.

Throughout the course of the fitting I hit a few different heads and finally Justin tells me his goal. I need to get my ball speed to at least 100 MPH. If he can get me there, he's feeling good about our direction. After demoing a few heads he decides it's time to try the Apex CF16. First swing? 100 MPH Ball Speed. Second swing? 105 MPH ball speed. Now we're getting somewhere!

Have you guys noticed my distinct lack of shaft talk? Here's why. We're demoing graphite shafts this entire time! As soon as I'm warmed up, the first question he asks is “how open minded are you willing to be?” and begins to talk about the five graphite shafts he has hanging on the wall behind him. We spent a solid amount of time just discussing what he was about to put in my hands. Here was his take, and this left a very strong impression on me:

Graphite isn't just for seniors or people suffering from arthritis. Justin was adamant that the properties these shafts open up to manufacturers are extremely valuable to all golfers. His statement was that within the next five years or less, he expects to see more and more players making the move to graphite. That's a strong statement.

Traditionally speaking the issue with graphite shafts is the inability for the fitter/build shop to get the swing weight where it needs to be. That's a thing of the past with the new type of shafts coming to market and these issues are disappearing. Think about 20 years ago when drivers were all steel shafted. Does anyone see a wood out there without a graphite shaft anymore? Didn't think so. The same change is on the horizon for irons.

Honestly, I don't remember all of the shaft options that we tried. I know I tried Accra, Fujikura and Nippon. What felt amazing right from the start were the Fujikura MCI 80G Stiff shafts. We went from head to head and changed shafts out, but time and time again contact was much more consistent with this shaft. This part was quick and easy. Now that we have the shaft settled, it's time for the head. At this point I'm seeing by far the best performance from the Apex but we still haven't hit the PXG. I mention that to Justin and we swap heads to test it out.

He said something pretty interesting to me about PXG. They don't work for all golfers, but the golfers they do work for get stupid good numbers from them. He's extremely impressed with their launch conditions, distance and general ball flight tendencies. This is before my first swing.

Off we go, it's PXG time. The feel of these things are just…Incredible. It's unlike any iron I've ever felt before. Imagine a centered strike out of a butter soft blade and extrapolate that feeling over the entire face. You're getting close to PXG. They're not quite that good off the face, but they're close. Feel is only one element, however. I need good looks, great feel and more than anything distance. Here's what's interesting. Ball speed? 90-95 MPH.

I wanted to love these. I hit double the shots with this head than anything else. Eventually I couldn't make my mind up so Justin suggest we take a break and come back to them later. I'll hit the Apex and PXG side by side with the Fujikura MCI and get things finalized. Justin did give me his professional opinion though, he would go Apex simply for the ball speed. I need distance over anything else and to walk away from ten yards is hard to do.

Fast forward three hours and I'm back in the bay with these irons in my hands. I hit about 10 balls each to verify the data and it's exactly the same. Ten yards in favor of the Apex. I can't walk away from that.

We're in a groove now. I have my confidence back my swing is clicking and I'm hitting the ball well. We start the driver fitting with my Ping G30 LS Tec. My experience with this driver is pretty hit and miss. I love the forgiveness it offers and I very rarely miss a fairway with this driver, but it just lacks so much distance from the spin and launch conditions it generates. We go through an interesting series of events over the next 30-45 minutes. I'm hitting the ball well, it feels great off the face, my swing feels good, I really feel great at this point!

IMG_4965.JPG

Justin on the other hand isn't so comfortable with how I'm hitting the ball. Here's the issue. Most of my numbers are good, I hit up on the ball, I have a mostly neutral path/club face, my spin is decent (it could come down though, but it's not a killer) I was just hitting the ball way too high! 20-23 degrees of launch with a height of around 120 feet is just not cutting it. Justin informs me that the average tour pro hits the driver around 90 feet high. Needless to say we have some work to do.

IMG_4966.JPG

He grabs a whole slew of heads and shafts for me to demo. There's Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, etc. and basically every shaft manufacturer and model you can think of. One by one he builds the clubs, we change settings, play with loft, shaft profiles, anything he could think of I tried. All of these changes are in the pursuit of getting my launch down. We're hunting for 17 degrees.

After some time making club changes he decides to give me a drill to help with my launch. Here's how it works: I take my setup, lift the club, close the face about thirty degrees, and then tilt my upper body back to make the club appear square. Next, I swing out and to the right as far as I can and just commit to releasing the club through the ball.

I get into position, tee a ball up and take a swing. Suddenly Justin bursts out laughing. He tells me to do the same exact thing again. I do, and he's laughing again. He's getting excited. My launch drops, spin comes down, angle of attack stays the same and we are in business.

IMG_4969.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

Now we can dial this in! Finally we narrow the shaft options down. We're between two at this point. The HZRDUS Red and Yellow. It's at about this point that we are still searching for more. My launch has come down but it still isn't exactly where we want it. Justin asks to hold on and runs out of the bay. He comes back in, assembles a new driver and asks me to give it a swing. First swing? 17 degrees. Ten drives later, with the numbers staying rock solid I'm sold. The head? Titleist 915 D3 in 7.5 degrees of loft. The shaft? HZRDOUS Yellow. This thing is a beast!

During my test of the 915, Justin informs me that he recently was able to demo the Titleist 917D3. He had nothing but extremely glowing reviews on it. He recommends I go with that head. At this point I have a level of trust built in him that I take his advice. The 917D3 is the way I go.

After a quick break for lunch we get back together to finish the fitting. We're going to focus on the gaps between my five iron and driver. I have to say that going into this fitting this area of my bag was easily my weakest. The long game is where I play like a high handicap. If we can get a consistent yardage from this part of my bag I really could improve my game. I've never had someone take the time and really work through the head, shaft, length and feel options at the top of the bag the same way they would a driver or a set of irons. What I loved about Justin's approach is that we weren't looking for the longest club. It was about hitting a number. That's it. That may sound very basic but a true gap analysis in a fitting is a very uncommon experience (at least for me).

We start with hitting my current clubs. I hit my SLDR 3 wood and put three of my best swings of the day on it. Immediately Justin's eyes light up as he sees an opportunity. He grabs the XR16, Ping G and Titleist for me to demo. We also have a range of shaft options here just like the driver. We're looking for a number. 215. That's the number. I hit all of the woods and shaft combos and nothing comes close to the XR16 with the HZRDOUS Red shaft in it. The best part is I'm hitting my number on the nose and it's consistent.

We move immediately into the next gap. 190 yards is the number here. At first Justin grabs all different hybrid heads and shaft options for me to try. I line up, start to swing and I'm just getting nothing out of these. Time and again, the hybrids aren't going even as far as my 6 iron! My strikes weren't terrible, there is just something about my swing and hybrids that don't work.

So Justin has an idea. He grabs a 5 wood head and we start with the XR and HZRDOUS Red again since it worked so well for me in the 3 wood. A few swings later and we have our number and the club! There was something around a fifty yard gap difference between a hybrid and wood for me. This really demonstrated why we need to try all of the options, walking in the door I would have assumed a hybrid fills this slot.

We only have a few short steps left until we're done. Justin and I have a conversation about wedges and he tells me what I've known all along. These clubs are a confidence decision more than anything else. My Edel wedges that I have now are some of the best clubs I own. His only option to get me something new would be to literally recreate these from a Miura blank… No thanks. Now THAT would be expensive! We did have a conversation about the shafts however, and I need to lengthen them. He loves the Nippon Modus Pro 115 shafts and games them in his wedges. That's the direction I go.

The last phase of my fitting is the Quintic Ball Roll system. This system was pretty cool. It's elevated about four feet off the ground and the surface is completely level. It's roughly twenty feet long and has a control center for the fitter to use. To the right of the golfer there's a screen and multiple very bright LED lights illuminating the ground. I'm invited up and walked through how it works.

According to Justin, this is like SAM putt lab just with absolute values. The difference is this system provides accurate and precise data instead of ranges. He considers this to be the most high end putter fitting system available on the market. The goal is to simply putt the ball from its alignment and into the hole on the other side. Justin has to take special care to line the ball up perfectly and invites me to take a stroke. I step up, hit the ball, and he starts laughing. He says “I would get fittings like these!” and steps onto the platform to explain the numbers.

On the right of the screen there are three readings and on the left there are two. On the right you want the data to give a green light out of possible red, yellow or green (it gives data as well, the color symbolizes the data) and on the left you want green and yellow. My first stroke the numbers come out perfect. Justin looks at me and says “if you give me 3-4 more putts with the same exact readings I'm telling you to keep that putter and never worry about changing it.” Four putts later I walk off the platform hitting all five putts perfect. Edel hits it out of the park again and he recommends no changes.

The Prescription

The Driver: Titleist 917 D3 8.5 with HZRDOUS Yellow at 7.75 degrees of loft with Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

The Woods: Callaway XR16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

The Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW with Fujikura MCI 80G Stiff Shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

The Wedges: Edel Wedges in 50, 55, 60 and Driver/Digger bounce configuration. Nippon Modus Pro 115 Special Edition shafts with Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

The Putter: Edel Williamette with S2 Hosel, 32” length and “Chef's Choice” design.

Fulfillment

I'm going to let these speak for themselves…

Build Shop.jpg

Build Shop 1.jpg

Build Shop 3.jpg

Build Shop 2.jpg

Build Shop 4.jpg

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

P. S. I know some of the pictures are sideways... Sorry about that. Couldn't get them straight.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Modern Golf - Part Two

A lot to digest, huh? These fittings are really powerful experiences and what both Becca and myself found so eye opening is just how different, yet effective they can be for each individual.

I was very excited when I had the chance to step away from my fitting and watch Becca's. A number of you reading this may be wondering how this might play out for someone who is a novice and here's your answer.

John and Becca actually got started with her fitting while I still had a little time left in mine. Not very long into her hitting her irons, John comes hustling out of the bay and down to mine and says with excitement that she just added 30 yards to her irons! After my fitting ended I went and observed hers.

IMG_4922.JPG

John started her fitting in a very similar fashion to how Justin started mine. The focus was on feel and looks. There are some obvious differences in the numbers, but also some massive gains for her. The biggest difference was in his focus on how she can grow into her set. The driver that she goes with is geared towards now and the future based on the shaft they went with and the adjustability of the head. She should really be able to grow into this set.

Modern Golf has beautiful, spacious bays with seating for any observer to relax in. Sitting in one of their comfortable chairs (I'm about 600 golf balls deep at this point, so I'm exhausted) I watch Becca swing her driver. She's hitting the ball great, he's making her feel relaxed and just asking her questions as they go. After he sees the performance with her current driver he grabs some Callaway, Ping and Taylormade heads for her to check out and multiple shaft options. As soon as he sets up a club and gives it to her, he asks what she thinks of the feel. Is it too heavy? Too light? And so on.

IMG_1091.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

Going into this she has absolutely no experience testing golf equipment. She obviously can provide feedback on something, but the ability to determine what works and doesn't work for her hasn't been ingrained yet. What I noticed while observing is just how quickly after she was handed a club that she could immediately tell if it would work or not. I was blown away by that. What made this really stand out is how specific she was. She had a totally different feel preference in her irons than her driver. Then again in her woods. We really are amazing creatures...

After crushing a good number of drives and considering what she likes the feel of, she eventually settles on a driver.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

The Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5 with Accra FX 140 MZ and custom purple decals.

One of the best things that John did for Becca was in the interview he started with. One of her concerns that she shared with him is that she often feels confused on which clubs to use for different shots. She thinks they all run together and doesn't like that. He puts an emphasis on this with her through her entire fitting, just asking for a number and finding the best solution for that.

When they started with the irons she finds that she likes the feel of a lighter shaft the best. John informs us that Accra is one of the best companies for her needs because they offer extremely tight tolerances (especially at a light weight), customization and extreme value. She demos all kind of shafts but eventually lands on a set.

The Irons: Ping G Max 6, 8, PW and SW with Accra 50i M1 shafts and custom purple decals.

To finish the set John was looking to fill a gap between her 6 iron and driver. Similar to my fitting, he had her start by hitting hybrids. Now going into this Becca's bag consisted of four hybrids. On most holes, this is the club she is playing the most so it's a comfortable club for her. Like most new golfers she doesn't like her 3W and never hit it. So the hybrid was a great place to start.

What we found though, is that in the same way it showed up for me she was just not producing the desired numbers from them. She was barely carrying the hybrids as far as the 6 iron she hit earlier in the day. John can sense a challenge, but never changes his attitude.

After a number of swings with these, it's time to move on. The next step is a wood. John exits and grabs an XR16 and Ping Rhapsody 5W head and builds them for her. One swing later and we're back in business! She gains significant yardage almost immediately and it looks like we found the type of club we need!

She goes back and forth for a little bit between the two heads, but in opposition to her driver she prefers the heavier head weight of the XR16 over the Rhapsody. Since she did so well with the Accra shaft in the driver fitting, she keeps it simple and goes with the same option here.

The Woods: Callaway XR16 5W with Accra FX 140 M2 shafts with custom purple decals.

The last step for Becca is the putter fitting. They start on the putting green checking her alignment, speed and preferences. In comparison to the rest of her set, she ends up preferring a longer club here and goes with a 35” putter. She's naturally gifted at this part of the game and they spend a lot of time on basic setup and just making her comfortable. The process was very simple for her and she found what she liked very quickly. John confirmed the fit with checking her lie, loft, length and alignment and verifying that she felt comfortable with the setup.

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

The Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX 1 35” with 69 degree lie angle, 3.5 degrees of loft and a purple Pure grip.

All in all her fitting only took roughly an hour and a half. This was an extremely positive experience for her since John was able to keep it light, entertaining and not too complicated. They also spent some time on other areas of the game not relative to a fitting. They spoke about developing a pre-shot routine, proper ball position and more. She ended up finding great solutions for her on the course and loves having only seven clubs in the bag. I sat down with her afterwards and wanted to get her opinion and perspective of the event. Here's what she had to say.

Q&A:

Shawn: What were your expectations going in?

Becca: I thought that it would be like a lesson. That they would see if there was anything I could fix,and also find clubs that fit me. I didn't have any expectations for that since I haven't done it before but I was open minded.

Shawn: All things considered, do you feel it was worth the investment?

Becca: Yes, Because I have never experienced anything like that before and it was a once in a lifetime thing. I am 100% confident that the clubs  fit me perfectly and I am really happy that they can customize them however I want. I know they will feel right to me and also have my personal touch.

Shawn: Were any of the results different than what you expected?

Becca: I didn't expect for them to cut my bag in half! I was happy though, because it was less confusing for me. I told John that I was confused since I felt that a lot of my old clubs overlapped and with my new ones it makes it easy for me to know exactly how far I'm going to hit my clubs.

Shawn: Did you feel your fitting was less thorough for you, from being a newer golfer?

Becca: I feel it was less thorough, but not lower quality. It was two completely different people. You know a lot about their job and I don't know anything. Plus, I'm a newer golfer and have only played one set of clubs before so I didn't have any existing bias. I do feel we covered everything in the right amount of time because I didn't have as many questions.

Shawn: How will this experience translate to your game?

Becca: I feel that I'm confident in my game now because I have the right clubs for me and I know how far I can hit them. I know if I don't perform that it's my swing and not the club.

Shawn: Who would you recommend visit Modern Golf?

Becca: I feel like if you've just been doing it less than a year it doesn't make sense because I do feel you need to have some experience, but anyone playing for longer than a year should definitely do it to make sure they're not being held back. A lot of the time it is the club and people don't realize that. It lets you skip trial and error and get what works for you.

Shawn: Anything you want to say to MyGolfSpy and Modern Golf?

Becca: I was so excited and felt so satisfied with the experience. I felt there was instant improvement and when I get on the course all of that confidence will make me much better!

IMG_1118.JPG

Thoughts:

How do I summarize an experience that has so many moving pieces? From beginning to end I found so many things to take home with me and cherish that I can't put words to them. What I can do though, is explain to each and every one of you why this experience was worth it. This wasn't just a fitting session. These clubs aren't the same as what I could buy anywhere else.

These are hand built, one by one. They will be CPM matched, have tolerances within .25 of a degree, all identically swing weighted, customized, stamped, PURE'd and verified at Modern Golf itself.

It goes further than clubs though. I learned so much about myself as a golfer. I know that I need to hit a fade, I found out just how important swing weight is and that optimal length doesn't come off a chart. We all react differently. We went over tee height, my driver motion and so much more! This experience rejuvenated my love for the game all over again and ignited a passion in Becca to play the sport to the best of her ability.

What I received for my time was an experience that I can never replace. Modern Golf and specifically Justin and John knocked it out of the park. They taught me a lesson and one I want to pass on to everyone here at MyGolfSpy.

As this thread was started and some time has went by, part of my original promise was to do a question and answer session with the fitters. Justin and I had a conversation that was very eye opening for me. I drew an immediate comparison to my day job in the car industry.

I take immense pride in being a total professional. I know my product, I handle myself correctly, I know how to work with a customer and provide the best experience that they could ask for. Here's the deal. If someone comes here to visit with us and to look at one of our products it is my job to control that situation from start to finish. A customer should never know more about the product, should never be able to control what direction we go in, how the process works or anything of that nature. In my professional element, I demand to be respected as the professional in the room.

How is that any different for a fitter? Walking into that building I felt that I was on a similar playing field to the people I was about to meet. Golf is my passion. I know the sport. I know the industry, the tendencies, and really some of the science that goes into it. But how could I ever truly expect to be more well equipped than someone who has spent their entire career learning the craft? I can't.

This was an enlightening realization. Here's what it showed me. Everybody is unique. Let me expand. The only way to answer any of the questions that were asked is through a unique and intimate knowledge of the person who that decision is going to effect. Every answer is going to be different for each golfer because we all are different people. It's really a simple answer.

It's so difficult for us to accept though because as the consumer looking through the window we expect things to be clear cut. They're not. If I apply this lesson to my day job, I've seen this proven time and again. I don't expect any of you to be able to walk into this building and do my job. Nor should you be able to.

It made me realize I need to look at this sport through a different lense than I did walking through that door. I need to trust in the professional opinion of the people I work with and to give them the benefit of the doubt. I am going to approach learning about golf with an intense vigor that is guided by curiosity and curiosity only!

I hope this message is broadcast in the right light. The discussion that we have in this community is a beautiful thing. The learning, questions, perspective and so much more needs to continue to be a part of who we are. But I've learned that the information doesn't tell the whole story. We bring something else to the table when we go to get fit, and that's us. No one can ever tell you exactly what you need if they don't know you as a golfer. A fitters job is to connect the dots between the data and who you are. They need to be able to diagnose in just a few swings how small changes impact your natural ability to present speed to a golf ball.

How amazing is that?

Justin, John, Mikey and everyone at Modern Golf thank you again for the experience. This was the best golfing experience that Becca and I could have asked for.

IMG_1117.JPG

P. S. Any ladies out there, Mikey is single. Feel free to PM me for his number. :D 

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Wow! Now that is the dream fitting experience, great write up, very detailed, I'm interested to know how your new clubs translate to your actual game, have you played them on the course yet?

Wow great write up! Good to see they are able to match the clubs to your swing and mix some instruction to increase success. Great job again man!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Thanks for all of the kind words guys! Much appreciated!

I haven't been in my normal golf routine for about two months or so, and don't have a driver (the 917 can't get here fast enough...) but I played 18 last week at a brand new course and shot 85. It was my lowest round of the year. They also had just punched the greens so they were covered in sand. We putted out though. So I was very happy with the round.

I honestly expect big things next season.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Great write up! One question, did you mean ball speed or swing speed when talking about your irons?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived